• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2012 (F1, MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDY_098

I'll upload that tomorrow.

The Dakar stuff is up!

Good job, thanks.

This is the best Nurburgring lap I've seen in a while, the second top comment sums it up pretty well.

Fuck traction control, stability control, Dsg/pdk, airbags, electric steering racks, or even a sensibly muonted engine, this is how a man drives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg

Allan McNish will race in the Daytona 24hr (with Lucas Luhr and Ryan Dalziel). If he wins he will complete the Sportscar Triple Crown.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96874

mblitek

I have uploaded a new Dakar "Episode" titled Roadbook, where they pre-scout the route one final time ahead of the race. Shows off the beautiful terrain!

I also finished uploading DTM races 1-7 & 10, I'm uploading 8 & 9 now.

Then I have the APRC - Asia Pacific Rally Championship to upload.

Then...........? Oh last year's Le Mans.

Edit: I'm in the process of uploading the entire 24h Le Mans after, 17.5gb! Then there is the 1.75gb Le Mans classic which is is a 40min race I think. I also have a few 24h documentaries.

mblitek

Part 1 of the Le Mans 24h is up. There are 8 "Episodes" with the 9th Episode being a 20min recap. They range in size from 1GB to 3.9GB.

mblitek

FYI Dakar Stage 03 is going up now. Stage 3 consists of:

This stage is from San Rafael to San Juan.

The Stage 03 Interviews are Live interviews from the bivouac and other Live pictures from today's stage. Highlights of stage 3 (the chunky part) will be upped later this evening.

More info about the stage you can find right here:

The Andes, Reminiscent Of The Atlas Mountains

The Andes Cordillera, ever-present throughout the 2012 Dakar, is very demanding for the drivers. The crossing of rivers and the many holes and stones that the drivers will have to avoid during the day's special stage, will make the terrain particularly gruelling. The sturdiness of the engines will be put to the test if the drivers do not remain attentive. But the altitude and the reliefs provide both magnificent landscapes, with every shade of red possible, and small acrobatic challenges, such as a steep climb that the motorcyclists will defi nitely have to finish in first gear.

f4TkW.jpg

FYI Dakar Stage 03 is going up now. Stage 3 consists of:

This stage is from San Rafael to San Juan.

The Stage 03 Interviews are Live interviews from the bivouac and other Live pictures from today's stage. Highlights of stage 3 (the chunky part) will be upped later this evening.

More info about the stage you can find right here:

Thanks alot man, awesome work.

iu5oCENl33i6f.gif

Amazing gif Sunhi.

Thanks, I never post gifs over 12mb. I usually try to keep them under 10mb for quicker loading, I found out that if I make them black and white and reduce the colours alot I can make bigger gifs and still keep the file size small. The above gif although its HD is only 10mb.

ANDY_098

Sebastien Coue is in critical condition after crashing today.

A French motorcyclist is in critical condition after being found unconscious in remote sand dunes during the Dakar Rally in western Argentina.

Hospital officials said that Sébastien Coué apparently crashed during the second stage of the rally and was exposed to temperatures above 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) before he was found. His body temperature also went above 40 C (104 F), officials said. It is unclear how long he had been exposed to the extreme heat.

The Dakar Rally, considered one of the most dangerous, has already claimed three lives this year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/frances-cou-in-critical-condition-6284515.html

mblitek

Edmond Dantès;33970735 said:
Stage 3
crashes

!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm currently 50% done downloading Stage 3 then I'll upload it.

Le Mans part 3 is 50% done but it'll be another hour max ~9pm EST or I might pause to get Dakar Ep. 3 up. I highly recommend downloading the Dakar Roadbook from my site, a good watch and interesting!

ANDY_098

Update: Coue woke up from a coma and is recovering well.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/03012012/58/dakar-dakar-biker-coue-wakes-coma.html

Edmond Dantès;33971393 said:
I wonder how long it takes for the health and safety people to call for changes to the format.

If someone was going to get worked up about the danger then they would have done it already. The problem is there is so little media coverage of the Dakar most of the general public probably don't even know the Dakar is happening, never mind the dangers of it.

mclaren777

"The Dakar Rally, considered one of the most dangerous, has already claimed three lives this year."

Wait, what? We're now averaging one death per day? :(

Chris R

"The Dakar Rally, considered one of the most dangerous, has already claimed three lives this year."

Wait, what? We're now averaging one death per day? :(

Only one racer has died. The other two were spectators (father/son). The plane they were using to watch the race with crashed.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Yeah it seems they're putting all their support behind their DTM car & ALMS/LMS car. Sad really, I think WRC will die and IRC will take over.
The WRC and IRC should be melded together, keeping the best elements of each and with a good promoter (something the WRC has been sorely lacking).

ashk

Yeah it seems they're putting all their support behind their DTM car & ALMS/LMS car. Sad really, I think WRC will die and IRC will take over.

It's not even that, they're only running the DTM as a factory effort, which is nothing compared to the presence in motorsport they had a few years ago. Their ALMS entry is run by a private team (as it was in the past) with minimal support from BMW. And even though they have one of the best GTE cars, they won't be contesting the WEC. Sad indeed.

mblitek

Edmond Dantès;33991888 said:
The WRC and IRC should be melded together, keeping the best elements of each and with a good promoter (something the WRC has been sorely lacking).

Yes, the WRC has horrible promotion. It definitely could & should be a better marketing tool for companies to get involved with. It really needs TV coverage and a stop in North America. It's hard to believe that North America with all of its varied terrain isn't even touched. Especially with Ford involved. You would think that if there were a few races in North America Chevrolet & Chrysler would get involved. Notably Chevrolet with their large involvement in the WTCC & BTCC.

Edit: My 24h of Le Mans uploading queue stalled last night ending at Part 4/9. So Part 4 is up and 5 & 6 are about 40% right now.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The great images from the Dakar Rally are starting to roll in.

eZiAD.png

3pT6P.jpg

mfQ4e.jpg

jjF2n.jpg

KfIpR.png

O5OAn.jpg

R3jXD.jpg

sAWVB.jpg

9u6mL.jpg

YKKTi.jpg

The usual Boston Big Picture round-up of the greatest shots taken at the Dakar will be coming soon as well.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Leading positions after stage four:
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap

1. Stephane Peterhansel Mini 9h43m20s
2. Giniel de Villiers Toyota + 5m41s
3. Nani Roma Mini + 6m44s
4. Krzysztof Holowczyc Mini + 8m10s
5. Robby Gordon Hummer + 16m23s
6. Leonid Novitskiy Mini + 26m25s
7. Nasser Al-Attiyah Hummer + 30m44s
8. Carlos Sousa Great Wall + 30m45s
9. Lucio Alvarez Toyota + 33m11s
10. Erik Wevers Mitsubishi + 36m42s

Dead Man

Edmond Dantès;34012483 said:
The great images from the Dakar Rally are starting to roll in.

The usual Boston Big Picture round-up of the greatest shots taken at the Dakar will be coming soon as well.
Those are brilliant, thanks!!

mblitek

I finished uploading the whole damn 24h of Le Mans including the small 40min Le Mans Historics Race which is an absolute blast to watch. So please, download.

I'm just about to update part4 of the Dakar.

In the meantime I have loads of pictures to upload.

ANDY_098

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I left out uploading the every 4hr "talkshow" about what happened. Do you want that too? I put the final one up though.

JRM switching to LMP1, woo! I'm glad to see LMP growing. Wait, which two classes/series combined again?

No thanks, this will keep me busy for a while!

GT1 World Championship is running under (slight varied) GT3 regulations this season, and Super GT will be changing to the new DTM regs in the next few years.

ashk

No thanks, this will keep me busy for a while!

GT1 World Championship is running under (slight varied) GT3 regulations this season, and Super GT will be changing to the new DTM regs in the next few years.

SuperGT will most likely only be switching to similar chassis/bodywork regulations, engines will still be different. BMW is expected to join SuperGT with a DTM-spec engine when the switch happens, they're expecting some sort of performance balancing rules to be implemented to make it possible. Also, the big idea between the shared rules is for the Japanese and German manufacturers to join up and stage an American championship.

I'm not that happy about GT1 switching to GT3 rules. But if the alternative was no GT world championship, so be it. It's a shame that GT1 was dropped from Le Mans as well. Those were some great cars, and now there won't be any opportunities to see them racing anymore.

I only got into GT1 last year, so what are these new rules you guys are talking about?

Also in regards to WRC, I was reading something yesterday about it being shown on ITV for us in the UK. Might breath a little bit of life into it maybe? If only to increase the amount of rallying taking place in the UK, especially down south. I only get to go to one a year at the moment due to where I live.

ANDY_098

I only got into GT1 last year, so what are these new rules you guys are talking about?

Also in regards to WRC, I was reading something yesterday about it being shown on ITV for us in the UK. Might breath a little bit of life into it maybe? If only to increase the amount of rallying taking place in the UK, especially down south. I only get to go to one a year at the moment due to where I live.

Essentially, to reduce costs and bring in more teams they are allowing both GT1 and GT3 cars to compete with performance balancing.

http://gt1world.com/news/article/2012-championship-plans-taking-shape

mblitek

Here's a nice sampling. I just got approved for all of Red Bull's images & video. The Dakar shots are beautiful!

6vVfF.jpg

IkWho.jpg

iyyew.jpg

Please don't share those if possible? :)

Shaneus

Is hosting your concern? Abload.de doesn't compress and is free. Gotta feel your way around the site a little though, it IS in German :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom