• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

And yet the numbers were shit in the end. Pre orders don't mean much, specially those where you don't actually put any money on the table.

Seeing that they are almost allocated for already it pretty much is a sure thing it will sell through the first batch immediately. But the important part is what happens after launch window.

Did you not even read the whole two sentence post of mine and just reply to the first part?

azyless

Did you not even read the whole two sentence post of mine and just reply to the first part?
Yes I read it, not sure what you mean as we were specifically talking about the launch window. By "numbers" I mean the Wii U didn't sold out at launch despite several reports telling us so.

Not disagreeing with your overall point, but you can't really compare a November launch to a March launch.
Why ?

KingV

The only thing I really want them to have is like a "mobile" dock. Basically a dongle with HDMI out, ideally one that can charge too.

I don't even care if it maxes out at 720P or something.

MDave

I have never experienced bad lag or bad latency since upgrading my WLAN router over the shitty ones your ISP provides you with. Dual band 5GHz AC is good, but a router that can handle the connections makes a world of difference. Before I upgraded I couldn't stand playing games online on WLAN and the reason I found it was not because it was WLAN, but the router was shitty at it.

It's not 2006 anymore if you have a decent WIFI router.

Neoxon

What do they usually offer for virtual console? My first Nintendo system so wanted to pick it up day one but also want to play smash etc.
Smash 4 is most likely getting ported, & there's a rumor from Eurogamer that Melee may see a Virtual Console release.

Nerazar

So the headphone jack is a mic jack too. So that thread about having to have use the phone app too, was wrong.

We don't know for sure, but I think that it got more probable that the app just enhances the online features with scheduling options and voice chat management and that you can still use the VC with random people with the device itself or that you can join existing groups via the Switch.

However, Nintendo will find ways to make the app a must-have. The reason why we still don't have all the information is that they still plan things, I guess. Just until the Online Direct kicks in, probably one day before launch. ;)

Yes I read it, not sure what you mean as we were specifically talking about the launch window. By "numbers" I mean the Wii U didn't sold out at launch despite several reports telling us so.

Im just looking at preorder available right now. I understand there will be returns and cancelled orders. But their seem to be alot of people that are without orders that want one. How it truly pans out you are right, nothing is definitive but it seems to indicate at least launch will be strong seeing that there really no places to order anymore.

Oregano

The Wii U actually had quite a big launch though. It fell off HARD after the holiday season.

The Wii U had more third-party support, but the Japanese third-party support for the Switch seems much more promising and that matters way more when it comes to Nintendo systems. Nobody bought a DS or a 3DS for Western third-party support.

I think people are really sleeping on that.It's not DS/3DS level but there's publishers who never bothered with Wii U but are supporting Switch and there's an example of a major publisher offering a lot more support; Square Enix released two Wii U games(one of which was Deus Ex) but has six Switch games announced.

Also looking at the economic conditions at the time people were more concerned about having jobs in the US. It was the worse time economically speaking in decades to release a console.

The Wii U actually had quite a big launch though. It fell off HARD after the holiday season.

I think people are really sleeping on that.It's not DS/3DS level but there's publishers who never bothered with Wii U but are supporting Switch and there's an example of a major publisher offering a lot more support; Square Enix released two Wii U games(one of which was Deus Ex) but has six Switch games announced.

I can admit that you saw them in stores almost immedately at or after launch. At least the 8g version.

Reggie announced that there were 80 games by third party in development for the switch. AS long as the console can get out the gate the support will be there.

Oregano

I can admit that you saw them in stores almost immedately at or after launch. At least the 8g version.

Reggie announced that there were 80 games by third party in development for the switch. AS long as the console can get out the gate the support will be there.

Part of that was because Nintendo shipped a ton of Wii U systems upfront. Its overall launch numbers were pretty good.

I don't think that over 80+ number was definitive and of course there's a ton of (indie) developers who won't have dev kits yet.

Part of that was because Nintendo shipped a ton of Wii U systems upfront. Its overall launch numbers were pretty good.

I don't think that over 80+ number was definitive and of course there's a ton of (indie) developers who won't have dev kits yet.

well honestly as long as a few third parties can have a couple decent exclusives a year behind nintendos out put the 'system' should be good. They do need to drop 3ds support though to keep focus. I dont see why they cant have a switch mini down the road to handle the true mobile demand.

I just want the functionally of being to take the console experience when I am out of town etc. so the current size is fine for me.

Oregano

well honestly as long as a few third parties can have a couple decent exclusives a year behind nintendos out put the 'system' should be good. They do need to drop 3ds support though to keep focus. I dont see why they cant have a switch mini down the road to handle the true mobile demand.

I just want the functionally of being to take the console experience when I am out of town etc. so the current size is fine for me.

I think a cost reduction is figured in there somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the price and bundle in a game at the same time. MK8 Deluxe would be a good choice IMO.

I think a cost reduction is figured in there somewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the price and bundle in a game at the same time. MK8 Deluxe would be a good choice IMO.

Yeah, The game sold out the console for a few months when it came out. Even though it is mostly the same it would probably have a huge effect as well. This probably will be a bundle by fall.

WadeitOut

Yes and Sony only launched in 2 regions

So if they sell it they'll be the biggest console launch in history

And Nintendo said "shipping in March". If you're going to base your premise on a guess of how many are actually sold on launch you can at least acknowledge how dumb it is to talk about launch sales and not include Sony's launch sales a couple of weeks later.

Oregano

Yeah, The game sold out the console for a few months when it came out. Even though it is mostly the same it would probably have a huge effect as well. This probably will be a bundle by fall.

I think that's why it would be smart. It's a massively popular Nintendo IP, shows off the multiplayer options(using a single Joycon), has online to promote the subscription service but most importantly has already sold 8 million copies on the Wii U plus whatever it sells over the next few months on Switch, they wouldn't exactly be losing anything by packing it in.

Lucifon

So the headphone jack is a mic jack too. So that thread about having to have use the phone app too, was wrong.

None of the controllers feature headphone jacks so it appears you may be able to voice chat in hand-held mode straight from the Switch but when it comes to docked mode you're going to need the app. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough but that theory kind of makes the terrible messaging make slightly more sense. Especially when they're pushing this thing as a home console first.

Buggy Loop said:
Who sells hardware without boasting it's specs? It goes against all product engineering mentality. Would you buy a cellphone without knowing in detail it's specs or performance capabilities "because you can make your calls and it has apps" ?
If there were dozens of Switch variants being released, knowing the details of a specific model would be more important. And the company not boasting about something is the one who doesn't have something to boast about. They boast about the things their closest competitors won't match, like the optional portability and HD rumble.
Malus said:
Because random Wii U games turn off headphone usage for no good reason. Tokyo Mirage Sessions won't let you use it at all, WWHD and Xenoblade X only let you use it in Off-TV mode, etc. I was definitely concerned they'd decide to cut it off in docked mode for reasons untold.
It surprises me for Wii U since your'e expected to be using two screens simultaneously, but I wouldn't have been surprised if it worked this way for Switch--we know it won't be showing the game screen when docked, and I would've thought it would've been a waste of resources to be simultaneously outputting 5.1 and 2.0 versions of the audio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8aOfAYpZl4 go to 2:50

the ui knows what color joycon you are using? cool
Watched from about 2:40 to 3:50 and didn't see what you were talking about. But assuming you're right: that's both cool and sliiiightly unfortunate for customizing purposes. I did things like combine parts of different wiimotes to get some custom color setups and was planning on doing the same with Switch. I could have a gray/blue it considers gray and a blue/gray it considers blue.
So what do they mean with 'TV mode only' regarding WiFi and Bluetooth? I want to use my Bluetooth Stereo Headphones while on the go :/
I think it's just slightly poor formatting. Where it says (TV mode only. A wired LAN connection is possible through the use of a commercially available wired LAN adapter.) I think they intend for TV mode only to apply to the rest of what's in the parentheses rather than anything before it. A colon instead of that first period would make it more clear.

And Nintendo said "shipping in March". If you're going to base your premise on a guess of how many are actually sold on launch you can at least acknowledge how dumb it is to talk about launch sales and not include Sony's launch sales a couple of weeks later.

Nintendo isn't producing over 1 million per month. If Nintendo can sell over 2 million in March, over 1 million at launch is very very probable

WadeitOut

Nintendo isn't producing over 1 million per month. If Nintendo can sell over 2 million in March, over 1 million at launch is very very probable

You arbitrarily guessed 1.5 million above. And either way Gamestop had a massive backlog of backorders in the US. Which is probably why they aren't even allowing backorders anymore.

Pokemaniac

Not sure if this was discussed, but... day-one software update for eShop functionality?

Nintendo has yet to launch a console that was able to download software from the Internet day one without a firmware update.

Though this snippet isn't really indicative of anything outside of the launch firmware probably not having exFAT drivers.

Dystify

Some close-up shots of Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con. Source.

Back side

Wh1e9Nz.jpg
ZB3A567.jpg

Kick stand and Micro SD card slot

Side

Bottom that shows the USB-C entry.

Top with cartridge slot

Joy-Con

Scotch

With the usb port on the bottom, I assume it's not possible to charge the tablet while it is on its kick stand? Am I missing something, cause that seems like a dumb oversight.

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo's main marketing gimmick is console gaming on the go along with multiplayer any time, anywhere with the base console. They do not feel the need to announce specs as a result, and people get that because they are offering a different type of experience.

It would be nice to know the specs, but it is not selling me one way or the other unlike with Sony and Microsoft where the systems' only difference is literally power. In that case, of course I would want to know to judge whether my purchase is worth it or not.

No. They're not announcing specs since the Wii because they know it's weak sauce and pointless to mention and would make them look inferior. You mention your strengths and cover your weaknesses. It's as simple as that.

Xdrive05

So it looks like the back panel will come off after removing the four corner screws. Hopefully the battery is accessible from there and can be swapped as easily as the same type of battery in a phone.

There's also a couple screws around the charge port, and one at the sd card slot. Straightforward disassembly, it seems.

No. They're not announcing specs since the Wii because they know it's weak sauce and pointless to mention and would make them look inferior. You mention your strengths and cover your weaknesses. It's as simple as that.

And that's really a shame this time around, as the specs are industry leading for the primary use and form factor. Makes me wish they marketed this as a handheld that's so powerful it also makes a good home console when docked. Then they would have had no reason to hide the specs.

Brodnax

With the usb port on the bottom, I assume it's not possible to charge the tablet while it is on its kick stand? Am I missing something, cause that seems like a dumb oversight.

Somebody should make a thread about it.

already happened

Muzy72

Banned
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but at PAX South I got to mess around with the system, and the Nintendo rep showed me that you can detach the kickstand.

Some close-up shots of Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con. Source.

Back side

Kick stand and Micro SD card slot

Side

Bottom that shows the USB-C entry.

Top with cartridge slot

Joy-Con
Thanks for the pics!! It looks like they didn't have much room to spare with all of the things they crammed in the system.

The Wii U had more third-party support, but the Japanese third-party support for the Switch seems much more promising and that matters way more when it comes to Nintendo systems. Nobody bought a DS or a 3DS for Western third-party support.

Are we in bizarro world that's not true.

That's pretty much what I said with a different spin..

Anyway the specs aren't anywhere close to weak for a tablet. If Nintendo wanted to, they could have hyped up the specs and tech very positively for its form factor. It's very impressive. They didn't because again, that's not their marketing idealogy.

Top Bottom