• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
It has not officially been confirmed but yes, it will transfer.

Is this an assumption/logic or is this an inside scoop of some kind?

I suppose that with the eShop balance unified across Wii U and 3DS, there's no reason Switch wouldn't carry that over, so I can see why it'd be a safe assumption.

Narroo

Okay: So they confirmed that the Switch uses a customized Tegra. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Everyone suspected a Tegra, but I don't think that they confirmed it until now.

Dystify

Where has this been suggested?

Well there was a topic asking this before, so I asked a friend who definitely knows about it. It's not really a secret. I'm sure anybody who knows it would tell you too.

Edit: Just to give you even more assurance, the Switch games are up in the same store on Nintendo.com as the 3DS/Wii U games.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Okay: So they confirmed that the Switch uses a customized Tegra. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Everyone suspected a Tegra, but I don't think that they confirmed it until now.

This was officially confirmed on the day the Switch was revealed in October 2016 (thread).

Well there was a topic asking this before, so I asked a friend who definitely knows about it. It's not really a secret. I'm sure anybody who knows it would tell you too.

Thats the fact though, most of us don't know anyone who would be in a position to actually know to tell us, I'm not trying to say your reasoning is "uncle works at nintendo" and yeah if I'd have to guess I'd assume it would carry over but as things stand we pretty much know nothing about how the account system and thus balance will work

Dystify

Thats the fact though, most of us don't know anyone who would be in a position to actually know to tell us, I'm not trying to say your reasoning is "uncle works at nintendo" and yeah if I'd have to guess I'd assume it would carry over but as things stand we pretty much know nothing about how the account system and thus balance will work

Yeah I don't really like talking about things that don't have an official confirmation yet but I thought this was so small, I may as well. I think it may not be good though, I guess I should stop. I'm sure Nintendo will confirm everything once they release more information about the account system.

psyfi

Banned
Sorry if this was already asked, but how does sleep mode work? Do you turn it on via the home menu and then push a certain button combination to wake it back up, or...??

Not

Banned
Just finished animating the evolution of Nintendo Controllers, ending in the Switch.

Click it for High Res :)

Dystify turned the full video into a gif notrailer so you can see the very end with the Neon Joycons coming in.

holy poop

ika

Probably been said already, but I guess it needing an update to support SDXC cards pretty much rules out it supporting the UHS-II standard. Can't imagine it has the extra pins needed when SDXC isn't supported out of the box.

Oh well, still can't wait for this thing!

I'm trying to be optimistic, maybe the hardware is UHS-II ready just as it's USB 3 ready but it needs proper drivers to be functional... A bit worried they didn't mention it on that spec sheet, tho...

I'm not buying any microSD card until after launch to see what it actually supports.

Ehhhm, am I the only one that realized that the Switch console itself has accelerometers and gyrosensors built in?! That would actually prove that you are able to play most games without joycons, but with touch and motion omly like today's mobile gaming.

That would make the mobility factor of Switch much more convincing and better mass market acceptance when using on the go.

Can someone confirm?

No one excited about this assumption?

Sheentak

Does anyone know if it matters what way you place the dock? To fit it in my media stand I'll have to place the dock side ways, instead of facing me.

The Switch is almost here. I noticed this morning that my bacon will expire after the Switch is launched. If my bacon can make it, so can we!

But it won't last that long.

That screen is gonna get so much scratches :(

P1050096-1.jpg

*Source

tbhysgb

Ah ic, so we still know nothing for sure with regards to the actual hardware powering the switch.

Still not sure how anybody could drop 299.99 usd on something they know very little about other then, it plays Nintendo games.
im buying it because with a wife and kids I need a system I can also play on the couch. I can dock it when need be or portable

Malus

I never understood why you guys didn't think this would be a thing lol.

Because random Wii U games turn off headphone usage for no good reason. Tokyo Mirage Sessions won't let you use it at all, WWHD and Xenoblade X only let you use it in Off-TV mode, etc. I was definitely concerned they'd decide to cut it off in docked mode for reasons untold.

spekkeh

Banned
Does anyone know if it matters what way you place the dock? To fit it in my media stand I'll have to place the dock side ways, instead of facing me.
I think this is true for a lot of people so it's annoying Nintendo stays schtum on it, or even more so apparently nobody of the press asks them. It looks like it should be possible; the dock is designed so that you can choose whether the cables come out the rear or on the side, which, I don't know why else they would design it in this way. By I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the joycons in this setup if you don't have gravity helping you.

CDX

"You can indeed use the headphone port when the system is docked, I played Zelda like this and it worked just fine"

yesssss

Nice pics too. Feeling better about the neon every day.

OK, IF headsets work through that port, and don't require only a phone app. I will have to seriously think where I want my dock.

Just to sort of mimic how easy it was to switch from the Gamepad to TV on the Wii U. I was already thinking I might buy a long flat HDMI cable to reach my TV, and keep the Switch docked near where I sit and game. But then I was thinking I didn't really need to do that, walking up to the TV to dock/undock is not a big deal.

But if wired headsets work only through the port on the Switch console itself, that changes the calculation for me.

So either a long HDMI cable from the dock where I'm sitting to reach the TV.
Or a long 3.5mm cable from where I'm sitting to the Switch dock near the TV.

I need to know more about headset support, and wireless headset support before I make a decision

WadeitOut

I'm still never risking using a mic chord from the dock to my headset. I can absolutely guarantee I will yank the dock to the ground at some point.

Whilst exFAT may be the default filesystem it's not the only one that works for SDXC

True, but you practically never see companies mandate that people reformat their SD cards from the default filesystem to use them in their devices. And exFAT is designed specifically for flash memory, so it's a good choice.

iFirez

As we're on the subject; Micro SDXC cards. I have a 128Gb one ready to go, I wonder if the day one system update will automatically happen or if It'l be a 'go to system > update' sort of thing. But I guess I'll hold off inserted the micro SD card until that update is installed.

wanders

Great point pretty much sums up how i feel.

Additionally to those of you saying "nintendo never talks specs" why then, may i ask, was the nintendo 64 named after the 64 bit central processing unit used to power it?

This whole "Nintendo doesn't talk specs" is only something relatively new (Wii era) and should not be acceptable...in-fact in most circumstances it is considered unacceptable for other companies that arn't named Nintendo...How well would gaf had handled the ps4 pro presser if they had not talked hardware specs in the slightest? Additionally how will gaf react if MS comes out and says.... "Scorpio now available...499.99...most powerful console ever....trust us" and neglects to mention anything about hardware...I wonder if the majority of you defending Nintendo would be defending MS or Sony in these circumstances.
Apple doesn't dive deep into specs. I mean what's the point if what they show looks amazing

So I had a question for the USB-C connection on the device which USB-C is it?
3.0? 3.1?
Does it matter?

I want to get the correct cable for my battery bank and was wondering witch one I should get.

Thanks all :)

grim-tales

So we know the Switch uses a "customised Tegra chip from NVIDIA", but what does that mean? How powerful is it? There were all those conflicting ideas some saying it would use Pascal tech, others Maxwell.
X1 technology is old, it cant be that surely?

Additionally to those of you saying "nintendo never talks specs" why then, may i ask, was the nintendo 64 named after the 64 bit central processing unit used to power it?

This whole "Nintendo doesn't talk specs" is only something relatively new (Wii era) and should not be acceptable...in-fact in most circumstances it is considered unacceptable for other companies that arn't named Nintendo...How well would gaf had handled the ps4 pro presser if they had not talked hardware specs in the slightest? Additionally how will gaf react if MS comes out and says.... "Scorpio now available...499.99...most powerful console ever....trust us" and neglects to mention anything about hardware...I wonder if the majority of you defending Nintendo would be defending MS or Sony in these circumstances.

The main marketing gimmick for Sony and Microsoft is increasing the hardware spec for better graphics. They have to announce specs because that's the clear differentiator for their systems.

Nintendo's main marketing gimmick is console gaming on the go along with multiplayer any time, anywhere with the base console. They do not feel the need to announce specs as a result, and people get that because they are offering a different type of experience.

It would be nice to know the specs, but it is not selling me one way or the other unlike with Sony and Microsoft where the systems' only difference is literally power. In that case, of course I would want to know to judge whether my purchase is worth it or not.

So we know the Switch uses a "customised Tegra chip from NVIDIA", but what does that mean? How powerful is it? There were all those conflicting ideas some saying it would use Pascal tech, others Maxwell.

Nvidia's new Shield TV uses the X1 still so..

It's safe to assume it is a customized X1. To what level? No one knows, but I doubt it is crazy significant.

Flintty

N64 was sold on power. As was PS4 Pro as will Scorpio. Nintendo aren't trying to be the daddy of tech specs. And when you see games like MK8 and SM 3D World it's not hard to see why. Most Nintendo fans trust that the first party games (and let's not kid, that's why many buy Nintendo consoles) will look and play as per their expectations regardless of spec. Nintendo are past the dick waving contest. I'm happy with that.

If they change strategy next gen and want me to use their hardware as my go to platform for my online gaming and AAA third party, yeah they're gonna have to work on spec and third party support.

I wish the Switch lowkey supported the WiiU Pro Controllers. Make it a pain in the ass to setup, don't advertise it, stop selling the controllers, but let me use them for MK8 and Smash Bros :(

I spent a lot of money on them, and I'm not looking forward to starting a new collection

PrimeBeef

Is this an assumption/logic or is this an inside scoop of some kind?

I suppose that with the eShop balance unified across Wii U and 3DS, there's no reason Switch wouldn't carry that over, so I can see why it'd be a safe assumption.
Considering it's an actual monetary value as opposed to the Wii points,I think it's safe to assume it will transfer over.

Neoxon

I wish the Switch lowkey supported the WiiU Pro Controllers. Make it a pain in the ass to setup, don't advertise it, stop selling the controllers, but let me use them for MK8 and Smash Bros :(

I spent a lot of money on them, and I'm not looking forward to starting a new collection
It's entirely possible that Wii U Pro Controller support could be Smash 4-specific with certain drivers, similar to how it already handles GameCube controllers.

Based on what Eurogamer & other sources leaked, it's Maxwell-based.

Top Bottom