• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official North American Lost Odyssey Thread

evilgreg

Neo Member
Saterium said:
Just finished it... so obvious spoiler endings

They spend an entire game trying to portrait the emotions of someone whose lived 1,000 years, seen countless others die, and then shit on it right at the end? Every single ending that the remaining immortals had at the end will end with death and they'll get all pissy again. Also, Gongora made for a stupid villain. I'd have felt better if it ended with them all going through that mirror to save the mortals.

I dunno, it's the first JRPG I've played in awhile... maybe I've just forgotten how campy their endings are. The game was pretty fun until the beginning of disc 4 though. Unfortunately it's still probably the best JRPG on the 360.
I just finished it as well, literally just turned off my xbox after a marathon session (I was determined to beat this game tonight, after a month I can finally jump into a different game from my backlog).

I have to say, I completely agree with you. The game seemed pretty solid all the way through disc 3, but disc 4 completely fell apart for me and made it a chore to finish. I didn't even touch most of the side quests in d4 either just because I had serious JRPG fatigue by this time.

Now I can finally get back and finish GTAIV, then I'm gonna jump into either Fable II, Fallout 3, or Tales of Vesperia. Probably gonna go with Fable II and save TOV for the end.

Kritz

Banned
U K Narayan said:
I should beat this, someday.

I'm not really sure why, exactly, I stopped playing. I was towards the end of disc 3. I don't like many Japanese RPGs, but somehow I love Lost Odyssey. The character designs are a little wonky, combat is still the same attack / magic / item system and I don't really like many of the characters. But I still find the journey within the story fascinating, and I'm glad I decided to pick it up when I did.

senahorse

Sleeker said:
Yeah a sequel would be nice...and kinda sad if its way in the future and all the mortals have passed on.

About 15 years would be nice,
Sed
would be a little old but at least we wouldn't have to put up with
Mack and Cooke
crying :D

Dabanton

I too just started playing this yesterday,great so far haven't played a JPRG for yonks as i don't have the time to sink into them but i'll make an effort to play through this.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Just started playing this. I love it so far. There's a few minor annoyances (choppy at points during story sequences, the running could be tighter), but nothing big at all. Cool characters (Jensen is :lol), the setting is interesting, nice traditional FFX-like battle system. Very fun.

I noticed the load times before battles were a little long, but then I installed it and it's not a problem at all anymore.

I downloaded the DLC, by the way. How do you activate the extra dungeon?

Ricker

omg rite said:
WHAT THE FUCK @ THE FIRST BOSS.

Wait for the second one hehe ;) ...kinda clear sailing after that for the regular Bosses,except one part that might screw a few people over...always use more then one save ;)

ZeoVGM

Banned
No preorder codes floating around? : (

Seriously loving the game though. And it's nice to play a challenging RPG. Died twice on the battle protecting the kids and their flowers. Pretty satisfying game.

Phatcorns

This is so obvious, but reviews are almost always full of shit. This game is fucking amazing. I randomly found it at my library and if I had the money I'd buy it in a second. From the very opening song on the main menu I was hooked.

Johnkers

omg rite said:

Seriously loving the game though. And it's nice to play a challenging RPG. Died twice on the battle protecting the kids and their flowers. Pretty satisfying game.

Personally I thought that was the hardest fight in the game. Took me 3 or 4 tries myself.

Neil

Johnkers said:
Personally I thought that was the hardest fight in the game. Took me 3 or 4 tries myself.

Same, only time I got game over, as I wasted turns trying to steal an item from them if I remember correctly.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
omg rite said:

You can get that DLC by creating a Japanese Live account and downloading from there (it's free).

It's my favorite RPG this gen. I really hope there's a sequel coming. Make it happen MS!

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
omg rite said:
Just started playing this. I love it so far. There's a few minor annoyances (choppy at points during story sequences, the running could be tighter), but nothing big at all. Cool characters (Jensen is :lol), the setting is interesting, nice traditional FFX-like battle system. Very fun.

I noticed the load times before battles were a little long, but then I installed it and it's not a problem at all anymore.

I downloaded the DLC, by the way. How do you activate the extra dungeon?
Also recently started and wanted to ask about the loading battles. Glad to see it's not a problem when installed!

Few questions I have.

- Are dreams important to read for the story?
- Is there some way to know where you need to be?

Loving this game so far! Haven't played a traditional RPG like this in a long time.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
Teetris said:
Few questions I have.

- Are dreams important to read for the story?
- Is there some way to know where you need to be?

For me, the dreams really fleshed out Kaim's character, but they don't particularly relate to the story. It is a really good twist to the whole "amnesia in an RPG" theme.

The game is fairly linear from what I've played so far (just finished the second disk).

ZeoVGM

Banned
I surprisingly enjoy the dreams. Haven't skipped one yet. They're interesting. I won't lie, the one about the little girl at the hotel was sad. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
Neil said:
Same, only time I got game over, as I wasted turns trying to steal an item from them if I remember correctly.

I did that too, until I remembered I could see what they had and they have nothing to steal. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
I finally just started playing this game today. I'm in the first area, the wastlelands i think(where you first get to walk around), and I've noticed wierd black bars on the main character, his shadow, and any enemies I fight. It looks like some odd vertical interlacing....but it's only on those things. The backgrounds and movies are perfectly fine. Is this normal on this part of the game or do I have some kind of glitch on my disc?

Edit: It seems the in-game cutscenes suffer from this too. The totally CG ones are fine. I think my disc is messed up.....

Synless

Seeing this thread again has motivated me to go through it again under my new profile. I had a 800 something score for this on my old profile. I'm going to buy the expansion for it too this time.

goldenpp72

ok so I just beat the tanks on disc 4 (trying to figure out where to go in the port of numara) and I want to know what the best place is to buy weapons/items/etc at this point? I think a lot of my stuff is old.

Anyone know where I go from here?

Sydle

Numara is as good place as any to buy items, but to find the best weapons you're going to have to do a lot of work. They're worth it.

I suggest a strategy guide, or gamefaqs.

Ronabo

I finally beat the game. I went through the DLC dungeon and all the side quests first. I'm missing 2 seeds, and I guess I didn't find all the chests, so I can't get all the achievements.

The ending was really good. Overall I really enjoyed it. I may replay it doing the new game +

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hey guys, since the thread got bumped i guess i should ask.

i've currently finished 3 discs and am about to start the fourth one, i've spent muchos lotsos hours grinding my entire party up to level 50 average. Is it true that the game has a traditional new game + feature allowing me to retain all my levels and stuff ?

cause that would be awesome.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I've been trying to find the "ground" spell; I think I may have glossed over it as I played through disc 1 (currently on disc 2).

Can someone help me out, possibly giving me the location of the spell, so I could presumably travel to that part of the map and open up some treasure chest to acquire it?

dirtmonkey37 said:
I've been trying to find the "ground" spell; I think I may have glossed over it as I played through disc 1 (currently on disc 2).

Can someone help me out, possibly giving me the location of the spell, so I could presumably travel to that part of the map and open up some treasure chest to acquire it?

I think it's very near the beginning, possibly Ipsilon Mountain?

aktham

Ok I just came in here to say this is the best RPG I've played since FFXII. This game has phenomenal pacing. I played 15 hours so far and I enjoyed every second of it. I never have to grind or get lost. This story is engaging and interesting. I wish they did the dreams a little differently, but I'm not against reading with awesome music and visual effects taking place :D This game reminds me so much of Final Fantasy VIII for some reason (which is a good thing).

Sleeker

aktham said:
Ok I just came in here to say this is the best RPG I've played since FFXII. This game has phenomenal pacing. I played 15 hours so far and I enjoyed every second of it. I never have to grind or get lost. This story is engaging and interesting. I wish they did the dreams a little differently, but I'm not against reading with awesome music and visual effects taking place :D This game reminds me so much of Final Fantasy VIII for some reason (which is a good thing).

I loved it too.
Nobuo Uematsu was the icing on the cake for me.

Huttie0

Banned
Now that I can finally post on GAF, I just wanted to pop in to say that this was easily one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I played the first two discs, took a 5 month hiatus, and banged out the last two.

The music, the cutscenes, the stories, the characters, the battles - I loved all of it. It was like a much more mature FFX.

aktham said:

This game, is amazing. I came here to say this too. I'm currently grinding my ass off to get the immortals skill master achievements....

But This is my favorite JRPG of all time.

Definitely a good game, could be better in a lot of areas, but I love this game.

It really feels like pieces of Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy VIII thrown together and a little Valkyrie Profile sprinkled around.

Replaying it again right now (saw Arp3ggio playing it on live and relapsed). Considering the DLC, but seems expensive.

Oops, didn't realize this was so old. Oh well.

At any rate, I've been thinking a lot about the combat system. I've rather enjoyed it - traditional yet with aspects stirred in to make a bit more interesting (ring system, skill system, etc). I also think the battle music is really great, for the most part, and I don't ever seem to get tired of it.

I really wish more games like this were available on the platform in general.

The dreams are great - running on a simple compilation of music, colors, and a few text effects sometimes have a decent emotional effect. I'm always surprised when I view a dream after a long period of time.

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
Glad to see I inspired you, Kureish! :)

I just finished the first disc, and I love the game. The pacing, the story, the skill system, the combat, the dreams, I love it all. Also, they somehow included children as characters without making me constantly roll my eyes.

Naughtboy

Banned
This is my #1 RPG. It's sort of sad but i only beat Blue Dragon, barely beat FFX and Lost Odyssey of course for Japanese rpgs. Yet i've played a decent amount. Legend of the Dragoon (Awesome game), Chrono Trigger, Infinite Undiscovery etc etc. Lost Odyssey is the only single player game where i put in 80+ hours. It's between this and FFX for my top JRPGS. But Lost Odyssey really impressed me even though it had a much lower budget than FFX.

I would love a sequel with a bigger budget and more polish as well as the updated Unreal Engine. The first disc was truly the most emotion in terms of story and dreams while the 3rd disc was filled with cut-scenes and cut-scenes with the 4th disc being all about exploration. Disc 2 was definitely the weakest out the bunch but still an awesome game overall.

Arp3ggi0

Neo Member
Naughtboy said:
This is my #1 RPG. It's sort of sad but i only beat Blue Dragon, barely beat FFX and Lost Odyssey of course for Japanese rpgs. Yet i've played a decent amount. Legend of the Dragoon (Awesome game), Chrono Trigger, Infinite Undiscovery etc etc. Lost Odyssey is the only single player game where i put in 80+ hours. It's between this and FFX for my top JRPGS. But Lost Odyssey really impressed me even though it had a much lower budget than FFX.

I would love a sequel with a bigger budget and more polish as well as the updated Unreal Engine. The first disc was truly the most emotion in terms of story and dreams while the 3rd disc was filled with cut-scenes and cut-scenes with the 4th disc being all about exploration. Disc 2 was definitely the weakest out the bunch but still an awesome game overall.

Yeah, there is a ton of emotion in LO's story. Most of it is pretty sad, but some of it has been really inspiring.

Cruceh

Banned
I quit this game last year after that ridiculous funeral scene and it really put a sour taste in my mouth. I just dropped it then and there. I picked up Tales of Vesperia and finished it 2 weeks ago and it was pretty fun so I thought why not play another RPG to kill some time during winter break. I've been trying on and off for the past few days now and I just can't get into it. The battles are soooo slow, but maybe because I got used to 30 second battles in ToV. The character designs are awful in my opinion; Cooke, Mack, Seth's hair. And I just can't stand Kaim's character and clothes. Do I really have to keep staring at his exposed backside? Oh well, I got to the beginning of disk 2 at least.

I might try Blue Dragon and/or Eternal Sonata. Are they faster paced?

Sorry for the bump, but this thread shouldn't have a negative post as its last post. Bravo to Mistwalker. I just wish they would make another 360 or PS3 game since I loved this game and Blue Dragon as well. Gooch!!!

Top Bottom