• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Persona 3 Fes thread: Welcome to Second Semester of School

Ourobolus

Banned
Quacking said:
I'm gonna buy P3 after I've enjoyed alot P4 but... Is better for me to buy P3 FES or P3 Portable?
Well, both are good, but you have to weigh your options:

FES:
+ Extra 20+ hr content with "The Answer" epilogue after finishing the main game
+ Cutscenes aren't just static images with character portraits. 3D models act everything out
- Can only control main character in combat, others are AI

P3P:
+ Extra main character to play as. Same story, but different social links, weapons, pink color scheme
+ It's the PSP, so you can play wherever you want
+ Some extra optional boss fights
+ Can control all characters in battle
- No "The Answer" epilogue
- Cutscenes are static images with character portraits

So really, it's up to you. I think I enjoyed P3P more overall, but I did miss not having The Answer to play through.

ultron87

I beat this last week, but am getting a hankering to play the Answer. Is it worth it?

It's just a long dungeon crawl plus some story, right?

ultron87 said:
I beat this last week, but am getting a hankering to play the Answer. Is it worth it?

If you can tolerate the increase in difficulty to go along with the shitty party AI, the lack of compendium and the hours of grinding with glimpses of story payoff then sure.

Otherwise, just watch the cutscenes on youtube. I played through it all and regretted it. You don't influence the story at all in The Answer. If you've played FFXIII...well it's like that.

I was shocked at how much I missed out on by playing P3P instead of FES. The ending left little impact on me until I saw the video from FES on Youtube. Bear with the harder gameplay and play FES. Then get P3P for the female aspect of the story.

Ourobolus

Banned
ultron87 said:

I enjoyed it, but mostly because it was challenging (well...for the most part. There are a bunch of cheap bosses who have weaknesses but also have the goddamn EVADE for that weakness, meaning you miss 50% of the time) and the story conclusion.

Kikujiro

ultron87 said:

Not worth it, you will hate the game, just watch the playthrough on youtube.

While P3P in a lot of areas is better than FES, I think FES is the better experience. The cutscenes are too important.

Quacking

Ourobolus said:

FES:
+ Cutscenes aren't just static images with character portraits. 3D models act everything out

P3P:
+ Extra main character to play as. Same story, but different social links, weapons, pink color scheme

So really, it's up to you. I think I enjoyed P3P more overall, but I did miss not having The Answer to play through.

Thanks for answering.

I bought P3P for the battle system mostly, but since the price of FES is very low I think I'm gonna buy it too someday.

Natiko

Banned
First time playing through Persona 3 and I'm having a pretty good time. Just managed to beat the Reaper to complete that quest at level 66. I think I'm getting pretty close to beating the game at this point unless there's another twist. Looking over this page it seems like there's a general consensus that playing through The Answer isn't worth it? I was going to go into that after I beat the game but if it just sucks then maybe I won't.

Ourobolus said:

FES:

P3P:

In general, despite the more-cumbersome combat, I suggest people play through P3 FES on the PS2 before tackling P3P. The removal of all the anime cutscenes and conversion of all other cutscenes from in-engine to static portraits really detracts from the story. The story is by far the strongest aspect of P3 and FES, and taking that away is quite sad. Also, The Answer, well, answers all remaining questions from The Journey and is quite worthwhile to go through after finishing The Journey. After you've done all that, if you want to experience The Journey as a girl, then play P3P for the female MC alternate story only.

Natiko

Banned
Wow, fuck the final boss(or what I assume is the final boss). I
had him down to his final arcana and had most of his health down
when a storm rolled in and my power went out. It easily took me over an hour to get to that point. Fuck, I do not want to do that again :(

RedSwirl

I guess this is as good a place to say it as any: If I ever have to start a Persona game fresh again, I'm probably playing it on Easy. I just don't care about the combat and dungeon crawling aspects of Megaten games enough to actually go through the challenge of them.

I thought P3 and P4 were amazing games mainly because of the setting premise, social links, and because I actually liked most of the characters. Dungeon crawling honestly feels more like a chore, but that's probably because I'm just not up for the hardcore oldschool aspects of the Megaten games. Doesn't really matter though, I'm already in the middle of a P3: FES and almost at the end of P4 on normal, and will do at least one new game+ of each just to finish social links.

Is that wrong?

Ourobolus

Banned
RedSwirl said:
I guess this is as good a place to say it as any: If I ever have to start a Persona game fresh again, I'm probably playing it on Easy. I just don't care about the combat and dungeon crawling aspects of Megaten games enough to actually go through the challenge of them.

I thought P3 and P4 were amazing games mainly because of the setting premise, social links, and because I actually liked most of the characters. Dungeon crawling honestly feels more like a chore, but that's probably because I'm just not up for the hardcore oldschool aspects of the Megaten games. Doesn't really matter though, I'm already in the middle of a P3: FES and almost at the end of P4 on normal, and will do at least one new game+ of each just to finish social links.

Is that wrong?
At least with the Persona games (not sure too much about the other MegaTen games), Easy mode is simply Normal with extra continues you can use if you fall in battle. I don't think much else changes, but don't quote me on that.

Was backing up my saves via AR. Stupidly moved files to a locked USB stick, lost everything. Not even a warning during transfer.

Feels bad man :(

Murkas

Finished the game a few days ago as FeMC, lvl 90+ with Helel, Messiah and all the other end game personas made the last boss battle a breeze. Still need to do the Pandora door though.

Think that makes it 3 times now I've finished Persona 3,twice on FES and now this one.

Back in the groooooooooove baby!

Mid-October, on Level 146 of Tartarus. Damn, I've already put 30+ hours into this, but it feels like nothing. I just got Kali from shuffle and my MC is a killing machine. I don't know if it's with happiness or dread that I'm only really half-way done.

VanillaPMP

Neo Member
@SabinFigaro

You should be happy. IMO, the last few months are the best part of the game.

Beat the game yesterday. Avatar of Nyx took at least an hour because I was only at level 80 and didn't have any amazing persona, but thankfully I beat it on my first attempt. The ending was beautiful.

Weird to see this thread bumped, I had the inexplicable urge to pick up my PSP and found a playthrough I was working on last year and completely forgot about.

After pouring in about 12 hours I'm up to the first week of January. Already got to the top of Tartarus on the 1st or 2nd now I'm grinding my lesser used characters. Next thing is to kick the Reapers ass and unlock Monad.

Oh God, nearly 4 years since I originally bought the game, and now it's finally completed. I think some of that delay was going for all max S. Links in one playthrough.

What an awesome, fantastic game, and what a great ending; in my upper echelon of RPGs for sure.

Sorry to bump the thread but I just finished Persona 3 (awesome!!!) and im currently playing the Answer (not at all awesome). Does anyone know where i can just see the story segments for the Answer? I'm already +6 hours into it and I can't take this pure grindfest anymore. I just wanna see the little snippets of story tucked into this thing.

Sorry for the bump as well but I was finally able to beat the final boss! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I did the reaper quest and after many attempts I got the right order to use the Thunder Reign Strategy and he was a cake walk. From there I went to Monad, leveled up super fast to lvl 90 and destroyed the final boss. I'm so happy I finally got this over with. Once I saw that Elizabeth was going to be in Persona 4 Arena I just knew I had to get back and try to finish The Journey, now its time to move on to The Answer.

Seda

While this is bumped...

I played through the game for the first time last month, it was my first Shin Megami Tensei title.

There really isn't much else like it, and it's a very unique game with a unique style, but I never really did like the merging of RPG elements with a life simulator like game. Overall I did like the game and I'm glad I played it, but just a couple of things weren't for me.

Top Bottom