Official Persona 3 thread: first time in school for NA players.

Aug 3, 2006
859
0
0
31
I'm really intrested in finding out what EGM had to say about it.

The wait for the 14th get's harder every day. I NEEED this game already
 
Aug 3, 2006
859
0
0
31
Even though i'm so hyped for Persona 3 that I couldn't possibly be hyped any more.....I just can't picture it being better then Nocturne was. That's setting my expectations way too high by expecting it to top Nocturne. The only RPG better then Nocturne is Xenosaga ep3 and is the best rpg of last gen.
 
Jul 13, 2005
4,361
0
0
Error said:
starting to think that this might top Nocturne after all.
You think so? The more time I put into Nocturne the more I think it's RPG of the generation. It's atmosphere is unmatched, the story awesome but subtle at the same time, and demon collecting/fusing is addicting as hell. If P3 can top that then lord I'm in for another great time.
 
Feb 5, 2006
912
0
0
Persona 3 is better than Nocturne because Nocturne is an unbalanced, incohesive mess.

Also, it's fun. Where Nocturne was fun in the artsy sort of sense rather than the visceral game sense.

I don't know about 9.5s, maybe it's a little high, but P3 falls just short of masterpiece, so maybe 9.5 is right.

Mind you, I'm not saying Nocturne is bad, I'm just saying that for a niche game, it's overrated way more than it should be. Basically, it wasn't that good. Also, Persona 3 is Nothing Like Nocturne, so comparing them is a pointless exercise anyway.
 
Feb 22, 2006
14,516
7
0
37
Hell's Ditch
schild said:
Persona 3 is better than Nocturne because Nocturne is an unbalanced, incohesive mess.

Also, it's fun. Where Nocturne was fun in the artsy sort of sense rather than the visceral game sense.

I don't know about 9.5s, maybe it's a little high, but P3 falls just short of masterpiece, so maybe 9.5 is right.

Mind you, I'm not saying Nocturne is bad, I'm just saying that for a niche game, it's overrated way more than it should be. Basically, it wasn't that good. Also, Persona 3 is Nothing Like Nocturne, so comparing them is a pointless exercise anyway.
Nocturne is a very different experience than most other rpg's and prior to Nocturne I hadn't played a lot of rpg's in this vain and I was blown away by Nocturne's absurd quality. It might be exactly because this type of rpg was new to me that I liked it as much as I did, but I do think it's one of the very best rpg's in the last years and trust me when I say I've played a lot.
 

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jun 9, 2005
34,533
0
0
33
Puerto Rico
twitter.com
it depends on what you prefer I guess, Nocturne is a hardcore rpg with maddening difficulty something rarely seen in JRPGs released on PS2 before it, so it was a welcome change. the fact that Nocturne lives and dies on its setting instead of a strong narrative was also something fresh when almost all JRPGs before it relied on cinematic cutscenes, a bunch of dialogue and extremely linear estructure.

Nocturne just came at the right time, offered something new and different... that's why people enjoy/like the game so much.
 
Feb 5, 2006
912
0
0
Yes, but the difficulty of Nocturne was totally and completely fabricated. Making numbers larger than they should be to increase difficulty just doesn't impress me. At all. And it sure as shit doesn't make a non-twitchbased bog standard JRPG more fun.

Now, if we're just talking about setting and setting ONLY, Nocturne had it in f'ing spades and it's what kept me playing it. But even then, I liked Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 more. And Persona 3 is better than all 3 of those titles.
 
Jul 13, 2005
4,361
0
0
I don't think Nocturne is THAT hard. Ok sure I'm using the guide but it all comes down to having the right skills rather than powerleveling. A level 25 party could probabky wipe out a level 70 party if said party had the right skills since stats don't mean much. That's one thing I enjoy. The only reason to grind is if you need a particular skill badly and even then there's probably another demon you could recruit. Some of the dungeon designs are tricky though (stupid warp points).
 
schild said:
Yes, but the difficulty of Nocturne was totally and completely fabricated. Making numbers larger than they should be to increase difficulty just doesn't impress me. At all. And it sure as shit doesn't make a non-twitchbased bog standard JRPG more fun.
Are we talking about a Press Turn-sporting title here? It's hard to tell from this paragraph. The only way numbers could overwhelm you in this game is if you were WAY underleveled, and even then, debuffing/buffing/and smart exploiting of weaknesses could level the playing field.
 
Apr 8, 2007
916
0
0
Systems_id said:
I don't think Nocturne is THAT hard. Ok sure I'm using the guide
:lol

but it all comes down to having the right skills rather than powerleveling. A level 25 party could probabky wipe out a level 70 party if said party had the right skills since stats don't mean much.
Well sure, it's easy with the guide because you know what skills you'll need (and need to avoid) for each encounter. It's very frustrating to build up skill A and then have that skill be a major weakness when encountering the next boss.
 
I didn't think Nocturne was that hard either. It's mostly about being prepared. You always need a well rounded team and you need to make sure you register demons as they grow. Even if you do die, you'll know what to use for the battle the second time around. You'll be able to use a demon you have (on you or in the Compendium) or just level him up some more. I don't think it's that bad.

diablopanqueque said:
But there really isn't ANYTHING spoilerific in that video. If you've gone through the video clips on the Atlus site...there isn't anything really new. I mean...it IS just the beginning of the game.
I'm the one that made the video. Obviously if you're that worried about knowing things, then don't touch it. I mean, it's the opening of the game.

But at the same time, I think this quote is true. It reveals almost nothing in the scheme of things. If you've ever kept up with any videos at all you've seen almost all of this, you're aware of the story. You've probably seen every FMV clip in it already, for example.

To put this into context, that takes place over like one day and takes up one and half pages in the strategy guide. It reveals almost nothing in the scheme of things.

I'm not saying this to convince people to watch the video (it does me no good, I don't even get a link to my site lol)... but rather to give them an idea of how much better the game gets, how much more the story does develop and just how much BIGGER it is.

My intention was mostly to help keep the game on people's minds due to the delay, to help ease up some of the disappointment. I also felt that showing a good deal of it might get people who have completely ignored the title to be like "whoa, 42 minutes, maybe I'll look at it!". You sometimes see 30 minute demo videos around E3 and whatnot and they go over well.

Either way, if you're avoiding media about it and don't want to know anything, obviously you should avoid it like the plague. It's not that long until the full game and there's plenty of other little clips out there.
 
Mar 1, 2005
26,042
0
0
30
Deep Underwater
soundcloud.com
mcgarrett said:
:lol


Well sure, it's easy with the guide because you know what skills you'll need (and need to avoid) for each encounter. It's very frustrating to build up skill A and then have that skill be a major weakness when encountering the next boss.
Exactly. **** Matador man, took me forever to figure out that shit and I had to come to GAF for help.
 
Jul 13, 2005
4,361
0
0
mcgarrett said:
:lol


Well sure, it's easy with the guide because you know what skills you'll need (and need to avoid) for each encounter. It's very frustrating to build up skill A and then have that skill be a major weakness when encountering the next boss.
I mostly use the guide the fusion charts since it's nigh impossible to get all of the demons without it.

All of the enemy and boss attack patterns aren't to figure out at all and require a normal RPGs worth of trial and error. If you need specific skills then, 90% of the time, there are always enemies around the area with specific skills and strengths to a certain element.The Matador only took me about two or three tries once I figured out most of his attacks were Force based. Dante and Hell Biker gave me a lot of trouble though simply because their attacks are powerful. In terms of enemy difficulty I'd put this at around Dragon Quest 8. The REAL difficulty comes from the absolutely massive dungeons and their complex designs not to mention the strict item management. 50 Chakras isn't really a whole lot when you're trying to get through The Obelisk.
 

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jul 23, 2004
37,730
0
0
I'm thinking of picking this up. Haven't played through a JRPG since FFX but the praise for this game is just too high to ignore (although I'm an old-school CRPG fan more than anything).

Not a huge deal, but how will it look on a PS3 and HDTV?
 
Jun 8, 2005
10,390
0
0
41
Los Angeles, CA
Teasel said:
one thing i hope they solved with P3
I DON'T WANT BOSS FIGHT TO BOIL DOWN TO A FEW CAST OF KAJA/NDA SPELL
thank you
Kaja/Nda spells are greatly de-emphasized in P3, mainly because you can't stack the same Kaja/Nda multiple times any more, and there aren't as many varieties.. The standard version isn't AoE, and the AoE version's pretty rare.

Also, pretty early on you'll get Personae with Auto-Kaja abilities, which are very nice. If you can fuse something with all three Autos (Taru/Raku/Suku), you can save yourself a lot of SP.
 
Feb 6, 2006
3,118
0
0
Ravidrath said:
Kaja/Nda spells are greatly de-emphasized in P3, mainly because you can't stack the same Kaja/Nda multiple times any more, and there aren't as many varieties.. The standard version isn't AoE, and the AoE version's pretty rare.

Also, pretty early on you'll get Personae with Auto-Kaja abilities, which are very nice. If you can fuse something with all three Autos (Taru/Raku/Suku), you can save yourself a lot of SP.
ah nice! that's awesome
 

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jul 6, 2005
91,412
0
0
30
I got stuck on Matador, but I ground 8 levels so I could control some more monsters (lol grinding is so bad, but I ground while talking on the phone cause the game has auto battle).

The only part where I really got stuck was on the three boss challenge (thor :() in Ikebukuro.
 
Feb 6, 2007
4,893
0
905
Norway
Stocka said:
Is this coming out in Europe? If so, when?
Hopefully not late 2008... And I really hope it'll work on my ps3. I mean, what's the chance of it not working on ps3? Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 didn't work, (If I should belive the 1.80 bc list, but maybe it has been added in fw 1.90?.) but Nocturne does work.
 
Apr 20, 2007
303
0
0
I had two things that really made me not like Nocturne.

First was the requirement to fuse new demons quite frequently because the demons you got didn't level up very fast. I hated that because I get attached to my characters and want to use them for the entire game but it makes me too gimp to do so.

I also hated having to switch out skills so much and being limited to six or eight skills. I could never tell which skills I needed and which skills were useless so every time I leveled up I would stress about which skills to learn for my main character and which ones to get rid of.

I sure didn't see much in the guide in terms of optimal party and skillsets. If I did play it again, I would want to use a faq that gives me that information so I could enjoy it more.

That was also why I loved DDS so much, after getting fed up with two aspects of SMTN I found that they were completely "fixed" in DDS so that I could enjoy it.
 
Jun 6, 2004
32,237
189
1,400
Ravidrath said:
Kaja/Nda spells are greatly de-emphasized in P3, mainly because you can't stack the same Kaja/Nda multiple times any more, and there aren't as many varieties.. The standard version isn't AoE, and the AoE version's pretty rare.

Also, pretty early on you'll get Personae with Auto-Kaja abilities, which are very nice. If you can fuse something with all three Autos (Taru/Raku/Suku), you can save yourself a lot of SP.
AoE version isn't all that rare. Quite a few of the hero's personas can get them and your partners later will get them (Aegis and Junpei for buff, Akihiko and someone else for debuff) to use as well. They might not be nearly as broken as they are in Noctrune but the strength of Nda and Kaja are still incredibly powerful. This is especially true later on when the damage you do starts getting much better and the effects are more noticable.


Error said:
I remember shouta saying that the 'one more!!' system was an evolution of press turn and so he consider it to be better or something.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4256693&postcount=634

Basically, One More! feels less like a game of RPS than Press Turn does.
 
Feb 6, 2006
3,118
0
0
Shouta said:
AoE version isn't all that rare. Quite a few of the hero's personas can get them and your partners later will get them (Aegis and Junpei for buff, Akihiko and someone else for debuff) to use as well. They might not be nearly as broken as they are in Noctrune but the strength of Nda and Kaja are still incredibly powerful. This is especially true later on when the damage you do starts getting much better and the effects are more noticable.
well if they totaly gimped them they would be useless... as long as i can't make a boss miss most of it's attack and reduce the damage he does when he hits to crappy numbers i'm ok with it...
 
Jun 6, 2004
32,237
189
1,400
Teasel said:
well if they totaly gimped them they would be useless... as long as i can't make a boss miss most of it's attack and reduce the damage he does when he hits to crappy numbers i'm ok with it...
Bosses aren't gonna be like that. =P
 
Jun 30, 2005
14,851
0
0
Sirusjr said:
I had two things that really made me not like Nocturne.

First was the requirement to fuse new demons quite frequently because the demons you got didn't level up very fast. I hated that because I get attached to my characters and want to use them for the entire game but it makes me too gimp to do so.

I also hated having to switch out skills so much and being limited to six or eight skills. I could never tell which skills I needed and which skills were useless so every time I leveled up I would stress about which skills to learn for my main character and which ones to get rid of.

I sure didn't see much in the guide in terms of optimal party and skillsets. If I did play it again, I would want to use a faq that gives me that information so I could enjoy it more.

That was also why I loved DDS so much, after getting fed up with two aspects of SMTN I found that they were completely "fixed" in DDS so that I could enjoy it.
Playing through the Digital Devil Saga games should almost be a requirement before one tackles Nocturne, although I know Reilly would say otherwise :p

A limited skill set I can deal with, it was simply not knowing what certain abilities did and the whole throwing abilities away bit. Playing through the Digital Devil Saga gave me a complete grasp on every ability, and now I have an understanding of what it is I'm walking into as far as the Hitoshura's ability developement goes in Nocturne.

I also got attached to some of my demons when I was initially playing Nocturne and would rather level them up or swap them out if they were a liability in a given area than fuse them for something more powerful or something immune against the attacks of the critters native to whatever area I was in. Then I started hitting the ceilings on their skill sets, many of my critters started to quickly become useless, and thus fodder for fusion.

"Sorry lil' buddy, we'll always have the Demonic Compendium" *ZAP*
 
May 13, 2005
7,654
0
0
35
Sirusjr said:
First was the requirement to fuse new demons quite frequently because the demons you got didn't level up very fast. I hated that because I get attached to my characters and want to use them for the entire game but it makes me too gimp to do so. .
You have them updated at the demon fusion place (I forget how to spell it). So, if you wanted them again, you could purchase them with all the skills and level they had at the time.

You could theoretically use (for example) a Jack Frost the whole game and get him to level 99. It would take some careful demon crafting to upgrade his skills, but it could be done.

Sirusjr said:
I also hated having to switch out skills so much and being limited to six or eight skills. I could never tell which skills I needed and which skills were useless so every time I leveled up I would stress about which skills to learn for my main character and which ones to get rid of.
You want to switch your skills because the mantra you get later on have better skills. It adds a ton of customization to creating the type of Demi-Fiend you want which, imo, is awesome.

jaundicejuice said:
Playing through the Digital Devil Saga games should almost be a requirement before one tackles Nocturne, although I know Reilly would say otherwise :p
Of course, DDS is terrible.
 
Error said:
I played Nocturne without a guide and I dont recall to have that many problems.
Same. I mean, the game certainly was more difficult than other RPGs I'd played, but it wasn't difficult to the point of frustrating. I actually had more problems with Thor than Matador, but that may have just been chance.

So, who all occupies the Velvet Room this time around?
 
Jul 20, 2004
1,535
0
0
Error said:
I remember shouta saying that the 'one more!!' system was an evolution of press turn and so he consider it to be better or something.
The "One More!" system is more generous both to you and your enemies. With Press Turn, you had to be REALLY careful about using all-enemy skills, because if a single one of them voided/drained/repelled it, you lost a turn icon. With One More!, it's the opposite--you only need one of the enemies in a targeted group to be weak to a skill, and you'll get another turn, but the same is true for the enemies. So on bosses, you want to make REAL sure no one in your party is vulnerable to the stuff they dish out, or else put up some good defenses, because there are a couple of bosses in particular who only bust out the really nasty attacks if they happen to get a second turn off you in one round.

What makes One More! tricky is trying to get different enemy types on the field all to get Down status in the same turn, so you can pour the All-Out Attacks on them. It's a really different kind of challenge than maximizing your Press Turn icons.
 
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
dillenger said:
You really are weird. :\
It's understandable. DDS really isn't unique... in fact, it's the opposite of unique. It's generic.

Going from an experience like Nocturne to DDS can really leave a lot to be desired.
 
Jul 13, 2005
4,361
0
0
Avalon said:
It's understandable. DDS really isn't unique... in fact, it's the opposite of unique. It's generic.

Going from an experience like Nocturne to DDS can really leave a lot to be desired.
I wouldn't say the DDS games are generic but they're definately the most "mainstream" titles from the team, especially DDS2. The unique atmosphere, artstyle, and soundtracks keep the games far away from generic territory.