• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

Has anybody tried (successfully) to copy .srt files to the ps3 since the 3.00 update? I remember there was a rumor (don't know if it was confirmed or not) that mentioned the 3.00 update would allow the PS3 to read .srt files for movies.

If so, how does that work? Do I just copy the file using PS3 Media Server? I usually do the streaming/transcoding with it, but my PC is an old single core dinosaur and (since I'm also streaming over wi-fi) it stutters too much for my liking, so it would be awesome if this feature had indeed been added to the triple.

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Well, cross voice chat exists, I'll say that much. When (if) it appears is the mystery.

Edit: Well, it existed very recently is more accurate.

jayb said:
I thought Sony said that there would be no more big updates this year. Unless they don't consider cross-game voice chat big... :lol

actually I don't think they do. For them the features of 3.00 are way more important.

Also they could go the other way and make it a game by game implemented feature (but a mandatory one for new games etc.).

Patrick Garratt said:
September 24, 2009 at 8:16 pm

I can’t tell you the source. It is true.

mh interesting that they are so sure about it

edit: hmmmm :D
Wonder how it will be integrated (and to shine some new light on the EA case :lol )

Jim

badcrumble said:
DAMN YOU ELECTRONIC ARTS

That rumor was way off by the way.

I have no reason to believe it's not coming, it's just mostly a matter of when. But it did exist, and the reason it doesn't right now is for a much different, less nefarious reason.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I wish they would add an idle timer for PSN. Often I just let it sit on the XMB downloading or whatnot, and I receive game invites/messages and don't respond to them until I look at the XMB (which could be an hour+).

Oni Jazar

Jim said:
But it did exist, and the reason it doesn't right now is for a much different, less nefarious reason.

Less nefarious, more rastafarious perhaps?

jallard_with_dreads.jpg

:p

onken

Not sure if this was posted yet but the notification bar now changes according to account region, instead of being fixed to the console's origin.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Jim said:
Well, cross voice chat exists, I'll say that much. When (if) it appears is the mystery.

:O

Jim said:
That rumor was way off by the way.

I have no reason to believe it's not coming, it's just mostly a matter of when. But it did exist, and the reason it doesn't right now is for a much different, less nefarious reason.

Do you think we'll ever find the reason out?

jayb

Jim said:

so when/if it comes, will games require patches to use the feature?

Balboa

FunkyPajamas said:
Has anybody tried (successfully) to copy .srt files to the ps3 since the 3.00 update? I remember there was a rumor (don't know if it was confirmed or not) that mentioned the 3.00 update would allow the PS3 to read .srt files for movies.

If so, how does that work? Do I just copy the file using PS3 Media Server? I usually do the streaming/transcoding with it, but my PC is an old single core dinosaur and (since I'm also streaming over wi-fi) it stutters too much for my liking, so it would be awesome if this feature had indeed been added to the triple.

Thanks in advance!

I think you have to combine the srt file with the video file, then you can toggle the subtitles on and off on the ps3

-x.Red.x- said:
So... Super_secret lied?
either way ps3 getting xgchat soon.

He said they still had to try some more tricks to see if they could implement it regardless of EA games not supporting it natively. Or maybe he put pressure on EA and they finally decided the 3 people playing Harry Potter probably don't have any friends to chat with.

Ashes

Banned
It has to be like the chatting feature: os implemented.

tbh I'd love skype connectivity & facebook on the ps3, before that, myself.

RuGalz

Jim said:
That would be a pretty useless cross game chat feature if so.

Well, a lot of features in games out there currently use the same system resource so it will be confusing when it's available and when it isn't. So it won't be universal to begin with anyway.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I still haven't updated but I can wish for new features right?

It'd be cool if when you put in a CD/DVD/BR/Game disc it would automatically flick you over to that section of the XMB if ya aren't already on it.

Oh and they should also make it so how much space demos/games folders take up. You can check a folders filesize under all of the other categories BUT the games one.

Balboa said:
I think you have to combine the srt file with the video file, then you can toggle the subtitles on and off on the ps3
TTP said:

Oh, thanks! I thought the PS3 would just read the actual file itself without having to reencode the .srt into the video file. Bummer ):

As for cross game chat... bring it! :D

Andvary

FunkyPajamas said:
Oh, thanks! I thought the PS3 would just read the actual file itself without having to reencode the .srt into the video file. Bummer ):

It just takes a couple of minutes. I use AVIAddXSubs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Balboa said:

You have been able to use embedded soft-subs for a long time, so that's nothing new. What's new is that you can now set the default subtitle language, which will automatically be chosen when you play a video with subs. Before 3.0 you had to manually activate the subs every time you started playing a video.

This also works with streamed video (DLNA), by the way.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
just now updated. lol.

so, after i updated, the interface feels big like it's in low resolution. i double checked, it's set to 720p over hdmi.

DeathNote said:
just now updated. lol.

so, after i updated, the interface feels big like it's in low resolution. i double checked, it's set to 720p over hdmi.
Yeah, try to get accustomed with it. I find changing the font style to pop, helps. It doesn't really bother me anymore but I'm sure I would still change that and the friends list box's back to how they were if I had the option.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
user friendly said:
Yeah, try to get accustomed with it. I find changing the font style to pop, helps. It doesn't really bother me anymore but I'm sure I would still change that and the friends list box's back to how they were if I had the option.
A netflix stream made my exit menu become low res. I was also real close to the TV right afterward so I got confused. After playing around further away it looks normal. But, there was indeed an increase in icon size?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
RoadHazard said:
This also works with streamed video (DLNA), by the way.
Does streamed video now support soft-subs (and if so, what formats)? That's one thing that I couldn't get working before.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Jim said:

exactly, not sure why it was.... you know.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
user friendly said:
Not just the font size but apparently the whole ZMB is slightly zoomed in compared to what it used to be.
I instantly picked up on it 5 feet away from a 50 inch 720p lcd rear projection. It looks fine 11 feet away.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
DMeisterJ said:
Can you divulge how many people it supported? Did it work with every game? How was the sound quality?

I didn't have time to mess with it alot but I'm not sure how many, possibly the same as regular voice chat (4?), the sound quality was fine.

On another note, remember that thread where the guy said he went to an EB and it had the voice chat icon that was different?

Top Bottom