• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Everytime i see this thread back near the top of the thread list i get hopeful that there's news of a fix....

Yes, i know im bumping it too by replying...

Pallaris

not sure if mentioned already but did they disable the auto install after download feature when you set up the system to switch off?

Just switched on PS3 after it auto shut down and the demo i downloaded wasn't installed.

Dunlop

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Everytime i see this thread back near the top of the thread list i get hopeful that there's news of a fix....

Yes, i know im bumping it too by replying...

Fix what? The game freezing issues?

Jim

Philanthropist said:
Wasn't this well known already? I've seen people saying GameTrailers works great now.

At least we know the reason behind the better peformance at least. I never bothered testing any HQ Flash video full screen since then.

chris0701

gregor7777 said:
Yeah, they mentioned it in a blog post last Friday I believe.

And SCEJ just added a note about Uncharted freeze with fw 3.0 on the official Playstation site.Their statement is the same as EU playstation.blog.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/update/

PlayStation®3規格ソフトウェア『アンチャーテッド エル・ドラドの秘宝』、『アンチャーテッド エル・ドラドの秘宝 PlayStation®3 the Best』をシステムソフトウェア バージョン 3.00でプレイしたとき、ゲーム中に画面が停止する場合があります。現在原因の究明に努めており

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
chris0701 said:
And SCEJ just added a note about Uncharted freeze with fw 3.0 on the official Playstation site.Their statement is the same as EU playstation.blog.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps3/update/

I know Uncharted is the main game manifesting the problems, but i hope that they are doing an 'all encompassing' check on the bigger picture. There are more games than Uncharted that are having these random freezes, etc....since 3.0 came out that have never happened prior to that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
http://www.b3tards.com/u/911e32126cb20a3c6ee5/me.jpg[/IMG
W...WOW.

grumble

Seiken said:
me.jpg

W...WOW.

I like this idea, though I understand why Sony used the grey boxes; they're friendlier and stick out more. I think maybe a nicer way of making your friends list stand out plus this obviously essential information would do it.

gcubed

iapetus said:
Why do all these 'better than Sony' mockups have godawful pissy little fonts that are utterly worthless at the viewing distances that people watch TV from, and even worse on an SDTV?

(Answer: because they're done by people used to designing for PC)

At least these ones aren't hideously ugly as well.

because they have the advantage of not having to make the UI usable in any form, just make it pretty to them on their monitor. When companies have to do things like actually make it usable for more then a very minute section of their user base is when problems crop up... but no "mock up" people would ever understand that.

Dunlop

Took me a while to notice as I was on the treadmil and praying for death, but my PS3 is online and there is no ticker.

This a global thing?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
HOLY SHIT guys.....

I have a 80GB unit i just got in June. Everything had been working flawlessly. The system has always ran quiet, and ive never had any issues at all.

3.0 came....over the last couple days ive had alot of game crashes. For instance, in the middle of COD4 the screen would just go black, and then i would be back at the XMB. Another time, the screen went black and i had to completely hold the power down to get my PS3 to reboot. I was playing the new Star Wars demo tonite that was on PSN, and when i quit it...again, black screen, and the system reboot itself.

Then...I couldnt believe it....I still cant believe it...I was just playing Arkham Asylum and the system beeped, and turned off....and....FLASHING RED LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! The motherfucker YLOD ON ME!!! A 3 month old system that was working perfectly, just YLOD!! I was able to get my game out, but this is just too damn coincidental for me.

Im really trying not to overreact here, but i seriously think 3.0 fried my damn system. There's no other explanation for a perfectly working system (a couple weeks ago) to just suddenly die. Theres no way i have the overheat issue, but why else would a PS3 YLOD?

Unf'n believeable.....this system i bought in June was to replace my launch unit that YLOD...

Phreak47

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
HOLY SHIT guys.....

I have a 80GB unit i just got in June. Everything had been working flawlessly. The system has always ran quiet, and ive never had any issues at all.

3.0 came....over the last couple days ive had alot of game crashes. For instance, in the middle of COD4 the screen would just go black, and then i would be back at the XMB. Another time, the screen went black and i had to completely hold the power down to get my PS3 to reboot. I was playing the new Star Wars demo tonite that was on PSN, and when i quit it...again, black screen, and the system reboot itself.

Then...I couldnt believe it....I still cant believe it...I was just playing Arkham Asylum and the system beeped, and turned off....and....FLASHING RED LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! The motherfucker YLOD ON ME!!! A 3 month old system that was working perfectly, just YLOD!! I was able to get my game out, but this is just too damn coincidental for me.

Im really trying not to overreact here, but i seriously think 3.0 fried my damn system. There's no other explanation for a perfectly working system (a couple weeks ago) to just suddenly die. Theres no way i have the overheat issue, but why else would a PS3 YLOD?

Unf'n believeable.....this system i bought in June was to replace my launch unit that YLOD...

Sucks, but you're under warranty. Get on Sony's case.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Im really trying not to overreact here, but i seriously think 3.0 fried my damn system. There's no other explanation for a perfectly working system (a couple weeks ago) to just suddenly die

A lot of times, there's no explanation for any piece of electronics to randomly die when it was working fine. It's probably a coincidence... the firmware is just software, when is the last time you installed something on your PC that fried the hardware?

"I was walking down the street, and I saw a blue bird in a tree - then I found $100 on the ground, OMG blue birds make money appear."

Gravijah

ScrabbleBanshee said:
A lot of times, there's no explanation for any piece of electronics to randomly die when it was working fine. It's probably a coincidence... the firmware is just software, when is the last time you installed something on your PC that fried the hardware?

"I was walking down the street, and I saw a blue bird in a tree - then I found $100 on the ground, OMG blue birds make money appear."

Yeah it's not like software has any control over the hardware guys, jeez!

ScrabbleBanshee said:

It's far more likely than you think for software to screw up hardware, especially if it interferes with basic drivers, or causes it to crash at bad times.

ScrabbleBanshee said:

That's not even close. If you somehow pulled the $100 out of the blue bird, maybe... :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
firen said:
Although that seems more of a realistic approach, I would like a hybrid of that and this mockup.
That other mock up is really bad in my opinion... the whole XMB-design is 100% gone and I'm pretty sure Sony's happy with XMB.

Menaged

No one had any problems updating to 3.0?

I've trying for days but to no avail.
I tried updating via the internet and a USB stick but everytime it gives me the same freaking error (8002f997 or 8002f99d).

I download the updated so many times but nothing seems to work.
I tried formating the USB stick, updating from recovry mode - but nothing.
I gets to 60 or 70 percent, and gives me that error.

I tried mailing sony, but they were useless and after a few emails, they told me I need to send in my system...

Anyone ever encoutred this problem and know a solution?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Menaged said:

I tried updating via the internet and a USB stick but everytime it gives me the same freaking error (8002f997 or 8002f99d).

I tried mailing sony, but they were useless and after a few emails, they told me I need to send in my system...

Googling those error codes shows you are not alone. Others have had these issues with previous updates as well.

Sadly, It seems no one has found a solution. At least I can't find it anywhere.

Menaged

Yeah, I tried using google but didn't find anything that would help me.
Figured maybe GAF will come to the rescue.

I just hope that if things won't work out, I'll be able to update to 3.0x whenever it arrives.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Menaged said:
Yeah, I tried using google but didn't find anything that would help me.
Figured maybe GAF will come to the rescue.

I just hope that if things won't work out, I'll be able to update to 3.0x whenever it arrives.

BTW, what's the firmware u are currently using? 2.7x or the 2.80?

2.80 wasn't mandatory (unless u launched VidZone, which required it) so perhaps u might try downloading that from the web site and install it. Then u try 3.0 again.

peetfeet said:
http://www.b3tards.com/u/911e32126cb20a3c6ee5/me.jpg[IMG]

Profile page

[IMG]http://www.b3tards.com/u/911e32126cb20a3c6ee5/me_profile.jpg[IMG]

Trophy compare

[IMG]http://www.b3tards.com/u/911e32126cb20a3c6ee5/friends_compare.jpg[IMG]

Post [URL="http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=1576611"]HERE[URL][/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ.... :S That's pretty much what I can only dream of!

expy

Banned
Menaged said:

Try rebuilding the system files via the System Recovery menu. Then try updating to 3.00.

JaseMath

I think it'd be neat if you could use trophies as a way of unlocking UI elements (dynamic backgrounds, avatars, etc.) - things become unlocked as your level grows. I only say this because of my stubborn addiction of unlocking all the designs in Solitaire for Clubhouse Games on the DS; took me like 1500 games to do it. It was an addictive ordeal, but really rewarding in the end.

Dunlop

Classic_Gs said:
How about the entire worthless 3.0 update.

Wow prone to drama much? If they had done nothing else but the analogue controls for video playback, this would have been the best update for me.

Aside from the valid game freezing complaints, the rest is just typical overzealous whining. Sony know what they want to do with there interface, it is their investment.

The interweb hasn't exploded with messages that the ticker is now gone, so I will assume it is just exclusive to my PS3, I checked this morning and still no ticker (I'm in Canada) and I am online.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dunlop said:
Wow prone to drama much? If they had done nothing else but the analogue controls for video playback, this would have been the best update for me.

Aside from the valid game freezing complaints, the rest is just typical overzealous whining. Sony know what they want to do with there interface, it is their investment.

The interweb hasn't exploded with messages that the ticker is now gone, so I will assume it is just exclusive to my PS3, I checked this morning and still no ticker (I'm in Canada) and I am online.

AS of this morning it was going strong in the US on a slim with 3.0. I logged it in to DL all the store stuff from yesterday and the ticker was there. ALthough it had new news.

Dunlop

AndyD said:
AS of this morning it was going strong in the US on a slim with 3.0. I logged it in to DL all the store stuff from yesterday and the ticker was there. ALthough it had new news.

Forgot to mention that I have the "what's new" (or whatever it is called) disabled so my PS3 boots to the game menu

Dunlop said:

In Toronto here, I just booted up out of curiosity and my ticker is gone even after the "signed in" dialog. Umm, yay! I also disabled the "What's new" on boot.

firen

Seiken said:
That other mock up is really bad in my opinion... the whole XMB-design is 100% gone and I'm pretty sure Sony's happy with XMB.

That's true but I think some hybrid would be nice. I like some of the ideas in that concept.

expy

Banned
ScrabbleBanshee said:
In Toronto here, I just booted up out of curiosity and my ticker is gone even after the "signed in" dialog. Umm, yay! I also disabled the "What's new" on boot.
In Montreal, no ticker neither. Used to have it, now it's gone.

I'm having major resolution issues as of today. I don't know if it is 3.0 related or somehow it's a sign my 60gb is dying but certain games have black bars around the screen and yes my tv is set properly. I got a 1080p sharp aquos. I try playing MLB The Show '09 in the default 720p and it has black bars then I try and force into 1080p as I have done in the past and it still doesn't look right. Native resolution 1080p games seem to be working fine. Most 720p games are the ones causing me the problems. Bionic Commando Rearmed works fine and it's 720p, Mirrors Edge works fine and it's 720p. Pixeljunk Eden is 720p and has black bars. Ratchet Quest for Booty has black bars as well and is 720p. Ugh. Could wonky resolution problems be a sign my system is dying? I really doubt it's dying. This is really friggen weird.

Oh, my ticker is gone also here in Toronto.

jonabbey

criesofthepast said:
I'm having major resolution issues as of today. I don't know if it is 3.0 related or somehow it's a sign my 60gb is dying but certain games have black bars around the screen and yes my tv is set properly. I got a 1080p sharp aquos. I try playing MLB The Show '09 in the default 720p and it has black bars then I try and force into 1080p as I have done in the past and it still doesn't look right. Native resolution 1080p games seem to be working fine. Most 720p games are the ones causing me the problems. Bionic Commando Rearmed works fine and it's 720p, Mirrors Edge works fine and it's 720p. Pixeljunk Eden is 720p and has black bars. Ratchet Quest for Booty has black bars as well and is 720p. Ugh. Could wonky resolution problems be a sign my system is dying? I really doubt it's dying. This is really friggen weird.

Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty should have short black bars above and below the content area.

Insomniac reduced the area of the screen they use slightly in order to hit a sweet spot in terms of frame buffer size.

But it was always like that.

It sounds like your TV might have got put into a different zoom/view mode?

criesofthepast said:

Could you try turning the ps3 off, and then holding the power button down for a while and waiting for a 2nd beep after the initial beep to reset the video and resolution settings. That should change it back to default 640 x 480 res, then just set everything up again in video settings.

Might work.

uhm... I have 22 demos in my download queue (and could add even more), the limit was 16 downloads IIRC?
Is this 3.00 or did they change that in a previous firmware?

noah111

Still Alive
SolidusDave said:
uhm... I have 22 demos in my download queue (and could add even more), the limit was 16 downloads IIRC?
Is this 3.00 or did they change that in a previous firmware?
It's a new change (discovered quite some time ago btw), the limit now is 32 IIRC.

Sentry said:
It's a new change (discovered quite some time ago btw), the limit now is 32 IIRC.

ah ok thx, it's a nice change.
OP stealth update list needs an update then ^^ including the speedtest for download&upload

jonabbey said:
Ratchet and Clank Quest for Booty should have short black bars above and below the content area.

It sounds like your TV might have got put into a different zoom/view mode?
Well, it's good to know about the small black bars in Ratchet although I never remember seeing them before today. I can't figure out what the hell happened between today and yesterday. This is really pissing me off. Going to call Sony even though I'm a year past my warranty but hopefully they can still give me some advice. Every single game I try has different sized black boxes. Calling all Cars boots up in 1080p and one third of the menu screen is cut off but then when a game starts just small black bars on all 4 sides appear. I tried to hook up my PS3 on another hdtv and I'm getting similar issues so I'm fairly certain it's not my TV.

Smelly Tramp said:
Could you try turning the ps3 off, and then holding the power button down for a while and waiting for a 2nd beep after the initial beep to reset the video and resolution settings. That should change it back to default 640 x 480 res, then just set everything up again in video settings.

I tried this several times and I'm still having issues. Thanks, though.

AndyD

aka andydumi
criesofthepast said:
Well, it's good to know about the small black bars in Ratchet although I never remember seeing them before today. I can't figure out what the hell happened between today and yesterday. This is really pissing me off. Going to call Sony even though I'm a year past my warranty but hopefully they can still give me some advice. Every single game I try has different sized black boxes. Calling all Cars boots up in 1080p and one third of the menu screen is cut off but then when a game starts just small black bars on all 4 sides appear. I tried to hook up my PS3 on another hdtv and I'm getting similar issues so I'm fairly certain it's not my TV.

I tried this several times and I'm still having issues. Thanks, though.

Can you post some pictures of what you are expreincing?

Since this update (As it seems to me)
i keep getting DNS errors.
it aint my router as everything else in my house (2 laptops, Wii, iPod touch, iPhone, DS ) all pick up my connection

Top Bottom