• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

borsdy

Banned
For the new page.
peetfeet said:
Not sure if this has been posted (sorry if it has) but a guy has done a version of what he would like to see on the PS Forums, I think it's pretty much perfect.

me.jpg

Profile page

me_profile.jpg

Trophy compare

friends_compare.jpg

Post HERE

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dalyr95 said:
Whats the issue with the faded menus? I haven't noticed it

The content listed in the Video and Music categories fades away very fast, leaving just the highlighted one visible. You need to scroll in order to bring the whole list back.

Previously, this is how it worked when using the XMB in game. Now, it's always like this. I bet dynamic themes are the reason. But this is not the point. The point is they fade away a bit too fast.

Darkatomz

Damn those fakes look really good... Too bad we'll never see anything like that.

Or at the very least, not for quite some time.

tirminyl

Wow. I LOVE that friends list. You would think that would have been something Sony did, seriously.

Also, seeing his mock up for the PlayStation Store icon makes me wonder why the hell is there even a What's New section. Could they have simply given the What's New treatment to the store icon?

fernoca

I'd prefer if anything, that they speed-up first the whole trophy-syncing process..rather than add those things in the "fakes"..

The whole 'Compare Trophies' option is quite slow at the moment, adding more things to sync/download..would make the process even slower..

-PXG-

peetfeet said:
Not sure if this has been posted (sorry if it has) but a guy has done a version of what he would like to see on the PS Forums, I think it's pretty much perfect.

me.jpg

Profile page

me_profile.jpg

Trophy compare

friends_compare.jpg

Post HERE

This can't be quoted enough. I hope SOMEONE from Sony sees this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:
The quickly fading menus are starting to drive me mad. I'm developing the habit of scrolling up and down every sec just to keep reading them.
It's really pretty annoying when you're looking at some folders on an external drive, looking for a movie or a TV show episode, or something you want to watch - and then the list just fades away while you are reading down through it :\

They should really have this fadeout time set to at least 30 seconds, not 3.

noah111

Still Alive
-PXG- said:
This can't be quoted enough. I hope SOMEONE from Sony sees this.
Sorry, but don't kid yourself. There have been tons of great concepts in the past, after every FW update since the launch of the PS3.

It could slap the guys at Sony right in the face and they wouldn't care. Unfortunately it's never going to happen, trust me.

Sentry said:
Sorry, but don't kid yourself. There have been tons of great concepts in the past, after every FW update since the launch of the PS3.

It could slap the guys at Sony right in the face and they wouldn't care. Unfortunately it's never going to happen, trust me.
It's not that. It would be impossible to stream all this information to the XMB, and have it run smoothly. Jesus Christ guys, yes that looks fucking amazing, but its not possible.

:lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sentry said:

Stealing ideas is the big problem, because they didn't come up for it, they can't add it to the firmware, because it's someone else's idea.

DMeisterJ said:
Stealing ideas is the big problem, because they didn't come up for it, they can't add it to the firmware, because it's someone else's idea.
Good thing Sony's terms of service for it's websites includes that anything you say can be used or reproduced, including stuff about development, marketing, etc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DMeisterJ said:

Not really. No trademarked elements in there. If anything the designer can get in trouble for using some of Sony's trademarked items and icons.

alr1ghtstart said:
That new friends list would be nice, but arduously sloooow.
How so? Doesn't seem to have any substantial data other than the stuff on the profile page. I doubt a trophy score would add much more to a user's name compared to the comment and game being played.

AndyD said:
Not really. No trademarked elements in there. If anything the designer can get in trouble for using some of Sony's trademarked items and icons.
Copyright issue, not a trademark. But I don't honestly think that's the real hurdle in Sony's way anyway.

borsdy

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
'What's New'
Status Indicator
Premium Themes and Avatars

;)

borsdy

Banned
Don't be mad. Those were just the exact few things that were compared to the impending firmware release to make pompous asses on the internet angry, like you apparently.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
peetfeet said:

me.jpg

Profile page

me_profile.jpg

Trophy compare

friends_compare.jpg

Post HERE
I'm sorry, this cannot be quoted enough.

dose

noire said:
Friends list mock up is nice looking, but there's a lot of text that's too small and it doesn't look like it would work well at all on a standard def / 4:3 set.
This.
There is no way this screen would work on an SD TV. Far too much information to fit in.
me_profile.jpg

DrXym

dose said:
This.
There is no way this screen would work on an SD TV. Far too much information to fit in.
me_profile.jpg

That's what I was thinking. I know its a pain in the ass to think about people with their 480i sets but that's the reality. Sony could do up separate versions for SD & HD users but then they have two chunks of code to maintain instead of one.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Why do all these 'better than Sony' mockups have godawful pissy little fonts that are utterly worthless at the viewing distances that people watch TV from, and even worse on an SDTV?

(Answer: because they're done by people used to designing for PC)

At least these ones aren't hideously ugly as well.

Malvolio

So I haven't been keeping up, is the ticker being optional not something that's been suggested by Sony? Honestly that's my only complaint with 3.0, but it's a pretty big issue for me. I don't want Sony advertising running across my screen every time I start my console up.

Malvolio said:
So I haven't been keeping up, is the ticker being optional not something that's been suggested by Sony? Honestly that's my only complaint with 3.0, but it's a pretty big issue for me. I don't want Sony advertising running across my screen every time I start my console up.
You can fool the ticker into not showing up if you just change the system date to 1+ years in the future.

It should be officially optional, though. I don't think they've commented on that.

Malvolio

CrayzeeCarl said:
You can fool the ticker into not showing up if you just change the system date to 1+ years in the future.

It should be officially optional, though. I don't think they've commented on that.

Thanks for the info, that's the first thing I'm doing next time I boot it up.

It should be optional, but I've yet to see them mention it. Which to me means they don't view it as optional and will probably fix any loophole that allows us to disable it.

inner-G

Banned
noire said:
Friends list mock up is nice looking, but there's a lot of text that's too small and it doesn't look like it would work well at all on a standard def / 4:3 set.
Exactly.

That font is FAR too small for an SDTV to display well.

Artofwar420

Love the list mock up that's above, it's pretty much in the right track.

BUT, I think there's one thing that's slowly bothering more and more, the lack of PS3 logo and chime at the beginning of games. Hopefully I'm not alone here.

G_Berry

Banned
Artofwar420 said:

BUT, I think there's one thing that's slowly bothering more and more, the lack of PS3 logo and chime at the beginning of games. Hopefully I'm not alone here.

I hear ya!

Artofwar420 said:

I keep thinking my tv is muted when I start a game now because there isn't any sound. They need to replace with something.

slider

I hope someone more technically minded can set me straight here. Since FW 3.00 I've found I don't have to move my wireless router around the flat to get a signal at the PS3. It also signs in much quicker. This can't be right can it? Not that I'm complaining.

I really like the look of that mock-up, of course there are issues with SD TV's and font sizes, but lowering the amount of data on screen a tad and increasing the font size could get around that.

ultron87

The sparkles in the background of the default theme react subtly to moving the Sixaxis, right?

Because I swear they do, but my friends all claim that I'm insane. Is there some controller motion I'm not aware of that will definitively prove this by dramatically moving the sparkles?

RotBot

ultron87 said:
The sparkles in the background of the default theme react subtly to moving the Sixaxis, right?

Because I swear they do, but my friends all claim that I'm insane. Is there some controller motion I'm not aware of that will definitively prove this by dramatically moving the sparkles?
Scroll up and down any big list.

TTP said:
The content listed in the Video and Music categories fades away very fast, leaving just the highlighted one visible. You need to scroll in order to bring the whole list back.

Previously, this is how it worked when using the XMB in game. Now, it's always like this. I bet dynamic themes are the reason. But this is not the point. The point is they fade away a bit too fast.

People need to get lives.

It's just a menu and scrolling list.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ultron87 said:

- Shake the controller flat to spread the sparkles.
- Quickly navigate the XMB either horizontally (through the categories) or vertically (ie. scroll your MP3 files or whatever) to affect sparkles as well.

Also, tell ur friends to read this:

Well, we’re behind the “star dust” and if you haven’t noticed it yet, you’re in for a nice surprise. We wanted to implement something like the beginning of the movie Gattaca but they wouldn’t let us go quite that far, so we settled on the subtle but pretty dust effect you can see now. If you shake the Wireless Controller, you can move them about a bit, as if they are being carried by eddies in the wind.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009...t-dynamic-themes-our-favorite-little-tikiman/

Jim

Stealth update? Re: the BBC iPlayer and Flash video on the PS3. Didn't see it mentioned anywhere specifically.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/09/new_version_of_bbc_iplayer_for.html
A few months ago Sony released an updated version of Flash that provided support for H.264 content. However, that version of Flash was still unable to play back our higher quality streams at the full frame rate of 25fps.

Since then, Sony have done a great job of enhancing the PS3's Flash playback experience, and the latest V3.0 firmware update now includes hardware acceleration in full-screen mode, allowing for a substantial improvement in the playback experience.

Anyone test this, in general, with full screen flash video sites? Too bad Hulu doesn't work.

Top Bottom