• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

lupinko

I don't really mind the text size anymore, I got used to it I guess. But what I don't understand is, there still exists an option to disable the "What's New" option like it did in previous FWs; however, even if you disable "What's New", it stays on regardless. =S

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
lupinko said:
I don't really mind the text size anymore, I got used to it I guess. But what I don't understand is, there still exists an option to disable the "What's New" option like it did in previous FWs; however, even if you disable "What's New", it stays on regardless. =S

I think that options just makes it so that you aren't taken to that section by default when you log in.

Chrono said:
Wait, 3.0 is supposed to allow PAL blu-rays to be played on US ones?

Edit: what the hell, just googling it seems that all (or just most?) blu-ray movies aren't region coded? I thought that was just for games? Actually there's a post that turned up on google that says all blu-ray disk are universal with the exception of games... so I guess the euro games I've been playing on my PS3 aren't supposed to work. >_>; This is confusing.

No, 3.0 wasn't supposed to make PAL blu-rays play on US systems.

Blu-rays have three region codes: A B and C. Many discs however, are region free: ie lacking any region flags. I have a large collection of European blu-rays that are completely region free: I just use "PAL" as a shorthand.

Before 2.70, all of my discs played perfectly. However, after 2.70, my US PS3 stopped playing a large chunk of my European blu-rays, kicking me out to the XMB, probably due to some sort of movie file that was 576p or something. This is a little ridiculous, because the PS3 has a chip (like any decent video player after 2002) that converts PAL to NTSC and vice versa (ie: a PAL .VOB file ripped from a PAL DVD will play just fine via memory card on the PS3).

Previous firmwares would simply skip the offending video/logo and continue to the next playable stream. After 2.70... this stopped. It's a bug, not a conscious effort on Sony's part to lock out blu-rays. All of their other players play the discs in question just fine. It's just the PS3, and its the firmware's fault.

I had hoped that Sony would have fixed it for 3.0, but it hasn't yet. I'm hoping that now that it hangs, is an improvement, but I don't know.

Dirk Shmiggler

Neo Member
i updated mine last night.

I can't believe they added sparklies, just seems like the worst suggestion at the big square table was the one they ran with. I can just see how that one came about..

I miss the playstation 3 logo with chimes when booting to game. Why couldn't they have done something similar with the new logo?...

the rest is fine with me...

kaitoe

Dirk Shmiggler said:
I miss the playstation 3 logo with chimes when booting to game. Why couldn't they have done something similar with the new logo?...

I guess they want to break tradition, since every Playstation console (PS1, PS2, PSP) before this update for the PS3 have had the "Playstation 3" logo and chime as well as the "Sony Computer Entertainment" for start-up.

The only reason they could've abandoned the chime was to avoid the PS3 logo being redundant (start-up and entering game) and shorten load time.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-design/english/interface.html <-- an interesting read about the original design of the XMB/PS3 software.

kaitoe said:
I guess they want to break tradition, since every Playstation console (PS1, PS2, PSP) before this update for the PS3 have had the "Playstation 3" logo and chime as well as the "Sony Computer Entertainment" for start-up.

The only reason they could've abandoned the chime was to avoid the PS3 logo being redundant (start-up and entering game) and shorten load time.

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-design/english/interface.html <-- an interesting read about the original design of the XMB/PS3 software.
I think they should move the PS symbol to the left side of the screen on start up. It looks ugly stacked together.

Also, in the space of the spiderman logo they could do a simple particle animation where the X, Square, Triangle, Circle icons form up with a little chime / sound effect.

EDIT - LOOK, this one. I hope this shows up to officially replace the original spidey "PLAYSTATION 3" chime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-MfPfLy80

deepbrown

Guys the start-up is still there...with the lovely chime. Just boot to XMB and not game. I see this as a positive (takes less time to play a game) rather than a negative.

JB1981

They are talking about the chime right before u launch a game, not the orchestrated intro which also sounds different

Menaged

Not sure if it's been discussed, but I'm having trouble instailling 3.00.
I tried download it directly into the PS3 a few days ago and it failed a few times.

Today I tried using a USB stick, but after 70% of copying the files, it says the file is corrupted... I guess the same thing happend on my first tries, I just didn't see it beacuse I left the PS3 on and checked "turn off after download" option.

Anyone know anything about it?
The FIFA 10 demo is out soon!

Thanks

thechemist

consoul

Hello GAF.
Are you sick of the What's New/Game Store/Video Store ads clogging up your XMB?
You are?

Well, strap yourselves in as I've discovered a method of effectively adblocking the XMB.

There's no need to go overreacting and pulling that network cable. You can still have your PS3 online without all those pesky icons for Julia Roberts movies and OMG Girlz Play Too Lilac PSP hawtness.
The secret? Start filling up your hard drives. The magic number is 597.

That's how many free megabytes are required for What's New, Game Store and Video Store in-XMB advertising to function. Have less than 597MB free and all the graphical ads are gone. The Game and Video Store icons are still there, but no ads will appear. The What's New icon is still there, but you cannot select it (as there are no items to navigate).

Obviously you don't want to see that annoying "You have less than 500MB free on the hard disk." message all the time, so don't go overfilling your drive. Just stick a bunch of videos on there or go re-install GT5 Prologue and make a sandwich, etc. until you've got just under 597MB free.

The What's New section and Game/Video Store in-XMB ads require a small cache of HDD space to run, and evidently that space will not be allocated if less than 597MBs are free.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
consoul said:
Hello GAF.
You are?

Well, strap yourselves in as I've discovered a method of effectively adblocking the XMB.

There's no need to go overreacting and pulling that network cable. You can still have your PS3 online without all those pesky icons for Julia Roberts movies and OMG Girlz Play Too Lilac PSP hawtness.

That's how many free megabytes are required for What's New, Game Store and Video Store in-XMB advertising to function. Have less than 597MB free and all the graphical ads are gone. The Game and Video Store icons are still there, but no ads will appear. The What's New icon is still there, but you cannot select it (as there are no items to navigate).

Obviously you don't want to see that annoying "You have less than 500MB free on the hard disk." message all the time, so don't go overfilling your drive. Just stick a bunch of videos on there or go re-install GT5 Prologue and make a sandwich, etc. until you've got just under 597MB free.

The What's New section and Game/Video Store in-XMB ads require a small cache of HDD space to run, and evidently that space will not be allocated if less than 597MBs are free.

Interesting, but I'll never understand what's wrong with What's New in the first place. Just don't highlight it and set the "show at start up option" to Off. It goes straight to Games just like before.

consoul said:
Hello GAF.
You are?

I can't tell if this is a joke post or not. If people are actually sick of seeing ads for PSN content only when they select a certain item...then it's more their problem than anyone elses.

consoul

TTP said:
Interesting, but I'll never understand what's wrong with What's New in the first place.
I don't actually have a problem with it myself, but I just thought I'd share my findings in a light-hearted manner.

If people truly care that much, now they have an option to stop it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TheBranca18 said:
Well if you don't want to see 'Girlz play too' then don't connect to the net. It won't show up.

Again, you wont see it if you don't go there. No need to unplug.

tirminyl

TTP said:

Exactly. I mean after they disabled the startup from going to What's New, do they actively seek out those sections and then get pissed because they did? I don't see them unless I want to.

noah111

Still Alive
shinshero said:
Anyone have any problems with WipeOut HD. I have a new Slim and it freezes sometimes on WipEout.
No problems (yet) for me, though some people have minor problems with wipeout anyway (pre-3.0), so do't be surprised if it freezes once or twice in several days of playtime, it happens..

Hopefully that Q&C the EU PS Blog is working up will ease some of the madness, if MusterBuster is involved im pretty sure it'll be a good one.

shinshero said:
Anyone have any problems with WipeOut HD. I have a new Slim and it freezes sometimes on WipEout.
Been playing the crap out of it lately, no issues at all.

Edit: Oh I guess I should add, I'm playing it on a 60 gig launch triple.

Dragon

Banned
TTP said:

I'm talking about a totally different thing. As far as I know, the upper right corner of the XMB has that stupid scrolling window that cannot be turned off. Well if you don't go on the net, it won't show up. I'm not talking about the 9 windows thing.

web01

shinshero said:

Its not uncommon for that game to freeze up every now and again, have had that happen plenty of times before 3.0 probably once every 2 - 3 hours.

RpgN

shinshero said:

Yup, freezing for a second during gameplay, and with the songs. It used to be butter perfect for me but I don't know the cause, it might be the fury update. 60 gb owner here.

slider

RpgN said:
Yup, freezing for a second during gameplay, and with the songs. It used to be butter perfect for me but I don't know the cause, it might be the fury update. 60 gb owner here.

Interesting cos I noticed occasional hiccups in motion only after the Fury upgrade. FW 3.00 redeemed.

I wonder is shinshero has Fury?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So it looks like the 3.0 firmware was developed by the marketing and PR departments at SCEJ :lol
Lots of new stuff that dont improve gameplay or gaming related actions

AndyD

aka andydumi
RpgN said:

This happens to me with custom soundtracks. It stutters and freezes every couple of days.

Dunlop

noire said:
Yep. Overall, I'm happy with the changes, but they pulled some of the same crap that the new Xbox dashboard did as well. Lessening the user experience in favor of marketing and ads.

I think in their current situation, they really didn't have a choice. The "crap" works well for Microsoft as a revenue stream.

DoomGyver

CrayzeeCarl said:
So, I just read on the PS forums that if you change your system date to enough in the future, the ticker will go away after you restart.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=112641
15i2cs4.gif

slider

noire said:
Yeah, no doubt. I'm not one of the angst-ridden nerds raging against it. I understand that business is business, but, as a designer, the usability things irk me since I'm used to designing UI's with ease of use as the primary concern.

I do wonder about people that know about "design" (professionally rather than just gut reaction)... how they feel about the evolution of the XMB.

slider

noire said:
Personally, I think the content has outgrown the design. Mostly in the Settings menu and other long lists.

Other than that, my main concerns are things that could be fixed if they let the user modify icon order or create groups.

Simple and true.

iceatcs

how's come I've never seen the ticker? I have set the date correctly and PSN is online, I wanna to see how annoy is it.

iceatcs

noire said:
It's not, you're just witnessing the internet method of blowing shit out of proportion. It's in the rectangle in the top right with your clock and PSN info.
ah, I thought ticker is message bar from PSN, like "What's news"

I do have this bar with clock etc.. but I never have strolling messages.

RpgN

slider said:
Interesting cos I noticed occasional hiccups in motion only after the Fury upgrade. FW 3.00 redeemed.

I wonder is shinshero has Fury?

Do keep in mind that I don't own Fury (yet), I'm talking about the update that came with it where it changed several things for the original game.

AndyD said:
This happens to me with custom soundtracks. It stutters and freezes every couple of days.

Same here, but I hardly use the game's OST, it's always custom soundtrack (bless the developer for adding it!).

noah111

Still Alive
CrayzeeCarl said:
So, I just read on the PS forums that if you change your system date to enough in the future, the ticker will go away after you restart.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=112641
Holly shit, that actually works! And here I thought that was just a clever joke. :p I simply changed the year to 2050, restarted and bam, no ticker! Not only that, but I can go online and it still doesn't show up.

Great solution, one less thing for people to bitch about at this point. So what is wrong with 3.0 now? One or two games have issues (they'll prob fix that before anything), font size is annoying for some (make sure your TV settings are correct), sparkles which can be turned off, ticker which can be hidden, and the undeniably ugly friends list, which sucks until it's actually put to good use in future updates..

noah111

Still Alive
noire said:
Oh, I must have missed that. What are they planning on doing with it?
Well from the looks of it, it was a sort of last minute addition (they had to get FW 3.0 out by Sept 1st afterall), so from past remarks we can assume there plans will be to actually display more info in those large boxes, since that is something they've had planned since the debut of trophies.

I fully expect it in the next update that isn't just small fixes.

MrPliskin

Banned
You know, if the big ugly boxes in the friends list actually contained trophy data, and were sortable by trophy level...then it would be pretty useful. Turning my friends list into a local Trophy Leader board would be pretty cool...

...unfortunately that's not the case. *sigh*

Top Bottom