• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

agm2502 said:
Has the browser definitely been updated? for me at least Facebook works better and Last.fm now works whereas before I could never get it to work.

radio-channels of last.fm do not work for me (need newest flashplayer imo), I can only listen to single songs I select.

(plus music/videos etc. of a website stop anyway if you switch to another tab and you can't alternatively scrobble the music you have on the PS3 HDD)

Well, finally got home to test out 3.0.

Sadly, the PAL blurays I have still don't play: but it's an improvement I suppose, it just hangs at the problem rather than booting me out. Hopefully soon they'll fix the issue, and I think they probably will. Previously on 2.70 my PAL Planet Earth set stopped working. They were back up by 2.80. This bug might be harder to properly define... or their previous workaround (skipping the problem video) is non-compliant with other bits of the firmware. I'll keep waiting and seeing, for now.

As for 3.0, otherwise, dear god in heaven is the ticker irritating. I did find a way around it: disable internet and then reboot the system. Till the ticker is able to be disabled separately, my PS3 is going to remain offline.

Also, a question because I am both lazy and not going to waste my time reading the entire thread: where is the option to turn off the irritating "sparklies"? My custom theme prevents most of them, but when the system boots, ugh.

SolidusDave said:
radio-channels of last.fm do not work for me (need newest flashplayer imo), I can only listen to single songs I select.

(plus music/videos etc. of a website stop anyway if you switch to another tab and you can't alternatively scrobble the music you have on the PS3 HDD)

I checked and the radio was working for me. But i'm a limited user (30 songs limit), i don't know if the player for the full users is different.

I greatly dislike the new boot up sound. Why change it? WHY?!

The XMB background is also not as good. I loved how during the day it would be a random color, but always faded to black at nighttime. Now it's always this pink-purple color. Again I ask, WHY?!

And the ticker... the ticker... WHY, WHY, WHY?!?!

That analog clock up there is beyond useless. They apparently use it as a "working" icon too (the hands spin around when the PS3 is doing a function in the XMB or browser), but the old "ripple" was much superior.

It's also annoying seeing the PlayStation Store shortcut in several categories. I understand why on that, it's to get some dumb-dumbs that have never been to the store to make some purchase. The best scenario for this would for us to be able to press triangle on the Store link and click "remove shortcut" or something like that to customize what we see.

3.0 has been so much fail, at least IMO. It gets the job done of course, and I can live with it, but it seems like a step back from the clean, streamlined and uncluttered XMB we once had.

There's alot of change for the sake of change in this update, not improving anything, just altering it. That's what irritates me the most. It doesn't help the people who just got the system with this relaunch and irritates a part of the old audience.

I don't hate most of it, I'd just like to have the option to put some things back the way they were. (Font size, startup sound, game startup chime, Classic XMB fading to black)

3rdman

No matter how many times I read this thread, it always appears to me as...

"Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Cock Blockery Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin'"

Why is that?

DangerousDave said:
I checked and the radio was working for me. But i'm a limited user (30 songs limit), i don't know if the player for the full users is different.

that's strange, I tested it with my PC at the same time and it only worked on that for me (w/ and w/o account, german IP so it's also free for me).
The player was visible but it was just black.

noah111

Still Alive
Dragona Akehi said:

[...]

Also, a question because I am both lazy and not going to waste my time reading the entire thread: where is the option to turn off the irritating "sparklies"? My custom theme prevents most of them, but when the system boots, ugh.
Simply go to the themes and select the 'classic' option rather than the 'original (ie glitter wave).

agm2502

SolidusDave said:
that's strange, I tested it with my PC at the same time and it only worked on that for me (w/ and w/o account, german IP so it's also free for me).
The player was visible but it was just black.
Have you got javascript turned on?

androvsky

I've been trying to keep up as much as possible in this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but...

Someone's found a new clock glitch.

To be fair, this one's really hard to catch, but the person who found it can't unsee it. Apparently the analog clock updates every five minutes, and when it does, it's visible for one frame, no matter what's going on. This includes blu-ray and DVD playback! It's probably most obvious when watching a 2.35:1 movie on a 24p TV.

I'm going to see if I can spot it, but since I don't have a 24p TV, it's going to be tough.

Dragona Akehi said:

Sadly, the PAL blurays I have still don't play: but it's an improvement I suppose, it just hangs at the problem rather than booting me out. Hopefully soon they'll fix the issue, and I think they probably will. Previously on 2.70 my PAL Planet Earth set stopped working. They were back up by 2.80. This bug might be harder to properly define... or their previous workaround (skipping the problem video) is non-compliant with other bits of the firmware. I'll keep waiting and seeing, for now.

As for 3.0, otherwise, dear god in heaven is the ticker irritating. I did find a way around it: disable internet and then reboot the system. Till the ticker is able to be disabled separately, my PS3 is going to remain offline.

Go to Theme and select classic.

Cryect

blindrocket said:
The XMB background is also not as good. I loved how during the day it would be a random color, but always faded to black at nighttime. Now it's always this pink-purple color. Again I ask, WHY?!

Change the theme to classic and its back to how it was before and the colors aren't random.

noah111

Still Alive
androvsky said:
I've been trying to keep up as much as possible in this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned, but...

To be fair, this one's really hard to catch, but the person who found it can't unsee it. Apparently the analog clock updates every five minutes, and when it does, it's visible for one frame, no matter what's going on. This includes blu-ray and DVD playback! It's probably most obvious when watching a 2.35:1 movie on a 24p TV.

I'm going to see if I can spot it, but since I don't have a 24p TV, it's going to be tough.
Is that really a glitch?.. The analog clock is the new loading indicator after all, unless it stays static (permanently) then it's probably just loading up some assets or something. If it barely ever happens as well, then it's probably nothing to care about tbh.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
damn , on SDTV , XMB look super ugly and wrong , the upper box is on everything >_<

I am now thankful for my Bravia .

Cryect said:
Change the theme to classic and its back to how it was before and the colors aren't random.
Nope, doesn't work. I've already changed it to classic and my current XMB background is that pink-purple color when it should be black due to the time.

Sentry said:
I agree, but I think people are suggesting an alternative option, simply getting rid of (or graying out) any icons/sections of the XMB that some may not even use.

I see no harm in such an option, not that I would use it though.
The thing is, getting rid of icons won't make it load any faster. The way the in-game XMB works (in order to conserve memory) is my loading each column individually. There just isn't enough memory reserved for in-game features to load everything on the XMB at once (including friends list, game stuff, music, etc.). Sony can easily add features which aren't being used in-game (since OS memory isn't a problem), but in-game is another story (which explains why some features are not there).
blindrocket said:
I greatly dislike the new boot up sound. Why change it? WHY?!

It's also annoying seeing the PlayStation Store shortcut in several categories. I understand why on that, it's to get some dumb-dumbs that have never been to the store to make some purchase. The best scenario for this would for us to be able to press triangle on the Store link and click "remove shortcut" or something like that to customize what we see.
I believe they changed it to give the PS3 a new identity, since the previous identity was giving it bad karma (which explains why the Spiderman logo, boxarts, etc. have all changed). While I liked the previous start-up, I honestly don't blame Sony for changing it.

As for the PS Store shortcuts, while they may get annoying, I personally feel it was one of the smartest things Sony ever added. I cannot tell you how many PS3 owners I know of that know nothing about what's in the PS Store or even know they can download stuff. I think showing people some latest content helps. I really think Sony's goal is to make PS3 more accessible to the mass audience. Previously, most people who weren't really into gaming who tried the XMB hated it for being too complicated.

I got the firmware the second it came out and I still have yet to see the ticker. I don't know what I did to have it not appear but I hope I keep doing it. (I'm in the US)

AndyD

aka andydumi
OldJadedGamer said:
I got the firmware the second it came out and I still have yet to see the ticker. I don't know what I did to have it not appear but I hope I keep doing it. (I'm in the US)

There seems to be a glitch. Some people have it and cant remove it, some people don't have it and can't add it. And the "on/off" for What's new does nothing for everyone. So I wonder if there is a glitch somewhere they missed.

xinoart

Banned
blindrocket said:
Nope, doesn't work. I've already changed it to classic and my current XMB background is that pink-purple color when it should be black due to the time.

THANK GOD! I thought I was missing an option or something and I was just stupid. I'm stupid for completely different reasons. Finally someone else noticed the same thing as me. (I'm too "busy" to skim the thread and make sure that statement is true. :p)

Sean

Banned
equap said:
you people are bitching about the ticker?? i don't even realize it there...holy shit people.

You would have to be blind to miss the ticker. It's on the screen at all times, constantly moving, and surrounded by an ugly thick white box.

AndyD said:
There seems to be a glitch. Some people have it and cant remove it, some people don't have it and can't add it. And the "on/off" for What's new does nothing for everyone. So I wonder if there is a glitch somewhere they missed.

The on/off of What's new activate/deactivate the scrolling messages that are below the status bar. But we europeans don't have any scrolling messages, yet, so it's not useful.

androvsky

Sentry said:
Is that really a glitch?.. The analog clock is the new loading indicator after all, unless it stays static (permanently) then it's probably just loading up some assets or something. If it barely ever happens as well, then it's probably nothing to care about tbh.

My understanding is it pops up during regular playback and when the movie is paused, neither circumstance should have a loading indicator. The person who found it says it shows up every five minutes no matter what. Yes, it's only for 1/24 of a second, but that's still quite noticeable; ever see the reel-change markers watching a movie on film at a movie theater?

Granted, I haven't been able to find it, but like I said, my chances of finding it are greatly reduced without a 24p TV. I'm not about to call it a big deal if only one person's noticed it, but if it's happening to all 24p systems, it's a rather unfortunate bug.

androvsky

DangerousDave said:
The on/off of What's new activate/deactivate the scrolling messages that are below the status bar. But we europeans don't have any scrolling messages, yet, so it's not useful.

The on/off selection for What's New is to choose whether or not that particular icon on the XMB has focus when first logging into an account. Unfortunately it appears to have no effect on the scrolling ticker.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
DangerousDave said:
The thing is that some people don't like the new fonts/icons not because being bigger or smaller than the previous one, because being different. If the interface had the current font/icon size from the start, nobody will complain about it.

That's not why I dislike the bigger fonts, and as I said in my previous post, the opinions are split. People like and dislike the new fonts for different reasons. Not just because they're different. And if the fonts were originally the current size and went to the previous in an update, I'd like the new smaller font. I imagine it'd be a split similar to how it is now.

DangerousDave said:
Yes, it's the interface, so it's very visible. But there are a lot of visible things. Why the fonts has to have priority between changing the color of the interface depending of the day of the week? Or having the status bar in the left instead of the right? Or having the shapes moving in a more dinamically way? Why I can't choose the height of the icon row? Or the space between the icons, to be lower, to fit more elements in the screen?

Nobody complains about all this because this is how it's the interface, and it works fine. Nobody expect to customize the elements of the screen, because this is not a PC, you only need to have a easy way to navigate through the options. And nobody would complain because of the font size if the font size was the same in the previous versions (independently of being the old size or the new size).

Now you're stretching. You are comparing changing the structure and mechanics of the menu to changing the font? Especially since in a previous post you pointed out how changing the fonts wouldn't alter how the menu worked in any way. It has about as much effect as the icons, which are changeable via themes.

DangerousDave said:
The interface has changed, and is as good as before. All the complains are not because the new interface is worse (except some things, like the grey label of the friends), it's because is different. And it's nonsense to ask for a "optional old view" of any change that Sony introduce in any new firmware. It's a matter of get used to it.

You went from "some" of the people who don't like it are just afraid of change in the first paragraph, to all of them in this one. My original statement still stands. It's not simply disliking change, it's manifesting preferences created by suddenly having something to compare it to. If it was switched, the people who like the new one would probably be complaining that they have smaller fonts when they liked the larger, and I'd be happy with the smaller fonts.

blindrocket said:

It no longer turns black at night time. It does get darker though.

Christopher

Bearillusion said:
It no longer turns black at night time. It does get darker though.

I'm glad for this one I sometiems have to work all day and missed that neat feature of PS3 when it would change colors throughotu the weeks/year all I saw was black

AndyD

aka andydumi
Christopher said:
I'm glad for this one I sometiems have to work all day and missed that neat feature of PS3 when it would change colors throughotu the weeks/year all I saw was black

Me too. This is the way it should have always been I thought.

equap

Banned
Sean said:
You would have to be blind to miss the ticker. It's on the screen at all times, constantly moving, and surrounded by an ugly thick white box.
how big is your tv?

i honestly do not notice it while i'm navigating the xmb. you know those "seen, can't unseen" pics? well i figured that would happen to me with the scrolling ticker but i still don't notice it.

i get the feeling a lot of yous don't have hdtv and running at 480i/p, if that's the case then yea.....sure you can't miss the scrolling ticker.

:\

Gravijah

equap said:
how big is your tv?

i honestly do not notice it while i'm navigating the xmb.

i get the feeling a lot of yous don't have hdtv and running at 480i/p, if that's the case then yea.....sure you can't miss the scrolling ticker.

What, are you running 10,000,000p on your 253.5 inch TV?

expy

Banned
androvsky said:

In-Movie XMB on the way? :O

Sean

Banned
equap said:
how big is your tv?

i honestly do not notice it while i'm navigating the xmb. you know those "seen, can't unseen" pics? well i figured that would happen to me with the scrolling ticker but i still don't notice it.

I have a 40" 1080p TV… The only thing I can think of is that you're using a white/light theme or something that makes the ticker blend in.

I am using a dark theme, and having that thick white box surrounding it makes it stand out and immediately draws attention to it.

equap

Banned
Sean said:
I have a 40" 1080p TV… The only thing I can think of is that you're using a white/light theme or something that makes the ticker blend in.

I am using a dark theme, and having that thick white box surrounding it makes it stand out and immediately draws attention to it.
i'm using the Afrika animated theme.

Chrono

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Wait, 3.0 is supposed to allow PAL blu-rays to be played on US ones?

Edit: what the hell, just googling it seems that all (or just most?) blu-ray movies aren't region coded? I thought that was just for games? Actually there's a post that turned up on google that says all blu-ray disk are universal with the exception of games... so I guess the euro games I've been playing on my PS3 aren't supposed to work. >_>; This is confusing.

androvsky

AndyD said:
More than likely its a loading indicator for Java features off the net. Some movies preload/ready up stuff in the background IIRC.

No, it's the clock updating. It's been spotted during DVD playback.

tirminyl

After a week with the firmware update, I went from complaining about everything to not noticing a single thing except the What's New section and that is only because I kept it enabled. I'm officially off the bandwagon :lol

xinoart said:
THANK GOD! I thought I was missing an option or something and I was just stupid. I'm stupid for completely different reasons. Finally someone else noticed the same thing as me. (I'm too "busy" to skim the thread and make sure that statement is true. :p)
What's worse is that the little "preview" thumbnail for the classic theme shows an XMB with a black background! :lol

YianGaruga said:
There's alot of change for the sake of change in this update, not improving anything, just altering it. That's what irritates me the most. It doesn't help the people who just got the system with this relaunch and irritates a part of the old audience.

I don't hate most of it, I'd just like to have the option to put some things back the way they were. (Font size, startup sound, game startup chime, Classic XMB fading to black)

ya sony really did a lot of irritating 'tweaks'...i would add the ticker and system busy indicator too to your above list...

has anyone found a way of downgrading yet?

Top Bottom