• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MrPliskin said:
You know, if the big ugly boxes in the friends list actually contained trophy data, and were sortable by trophy level...then it would be pretty useful. Turning my friends list into a local Trophy Leader board would be pretty cool...

...unfortunately that's not the case. *sigh*

I was thinking about the "by Level" sorting option myself a couple of days ago. That would be rather cool indeed.

Oni Jazar

MrPliskin said:
You know, if the big ugly boxes in the friends list actually contained trophy data, and were sortable by trophy level...then it would be pretty useful. Turning my friends list into a local Trophy Leader board would be pretty cool...

...unfortunately that's not the case. *sigh*

The only reason that makes sense for why they added those boxes would be for laying the groundwork for something like that. Otherwise I have no idea why they would change the look of the friends list so significantly.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oni Jazar said:
The only reason that makes sense for why they added those boxes would be for laying the groundwork for something like that. Otherwise I have no idea why they would change the look of the friends list so significantly.

Well, perhaps they felt it looked messy with the games being played showing up even under un-selected friends names. That, plus the increased font size made for a single column of text without enough spacing. Hence the need to add those boxes.

dazed808

TTP said:
I was thinking about the "by Level" sorting option myself a couple of days ago. That would be rather cool indeed.

I can see why you may like that idea :lol
You are top of my list but Dave is catching you fast

dalyr95

iceatcs said:
ah, I thought ticker is message bar from PSN, like "What's news"

I do have this bar with clock etc.. but I never have strolling messages.

If you disabled the old RSS information bar, the ticker won't appear. I wish people would check the system settings before bitching

dalyr95 said:
If you disabled the old RSS information bar, the ticker won't appear. I wish people would check the system settings before bitching
I'm pretty sure that's been debunked long ago. I always had my RSS bar disabled before but I got the ticker as soon as 3.0 booted up. I think it's just been people in Europe and those in NA who, for whatever reason, weren't able to download the ticker data.

Optional font sizes.

I don’t like the size of the font and the icons. Why can’t I change it back to its old size?
Based on your feedback, we are looking at the possibility of making the changes optional.

Other than that, not a very helpful Q & A. :\

Sonyz said:
I don’t like the size of the font and the icons. Why can’t I change it back to its old size?

Based on your feedback, we are looking at the possibility of making the changes optional.

Yessssssssssssss

Sonyz said:
Uncharted freezes ever since 3.00 was released. Is there a fix coming soon?

We’re aware of the problem with Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune following the latest system software update and have a team working hard to isolate the issue.

Isolate harder!

We can confirm that some Dynamic Themes will be made available on the EU Store this week, and we have a little surprise prepared especially for our PAL readers that we hope you’ll agree is worth the wait!
free (additional?) dynamic theme on PAL stores this week?

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Apparently you can remove the ticker by setting the date to the future and then restarting the console. However I have not tried it as I haven't updated my firmware yet, so try at your own risk.

noah111

Still Alive
CrayzeeCarl said:
Something about the friends list would have been nice. Why they added the gray boxes and what they're planning to do with it.
Isn't that pretty obvious?

Overall fine Q&A, at least we now know they're not oblivious to some of the complaints.

Tannhauser said:
Apparently you can remove the ticker by setting the date to the future and then restarting the console. However I have not tried it as I haven't updated my firmware yet, so try at your own risk.
It works fine, was posted a page or so back.

Sentry said:
Isn't that pretty obvious?

Overall fine Q&A, at least we now know they're not oblivious to some of the complaints.

It works fine, was posted a page or so back.
Yeah. What I meant to say was that a lot of people think it is ugly and still would be if they added trophy data to it. We'd like to just have the selected friend show the "box" and be able to change the color of it with the themes.

AndyD

aka andydumi
YianGaruga said:
What else did you want to know exactly?

Remove the ticker?
Remove the blue background of the What's New?
The gray boxes on friends list? Do they have plans for the future? Transparency of it?
Move/reorder/remove the store icons on games and videos (its the default icon 1, rather than above the default latest played game)?

All valid questions people ave had with no feedback.

Too bad the Q & A did not address the fugly friends list, but hopefully changes will come quickly for everything. Shrink that font!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AndyD said:
Remove the ticker?
The gray boxes on friends list?
Move/reorder/remove the store icons on games and videos (its the default icon 1, rather than above the default latest played game)?

Yeah, they answered the easy ones.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have done another round of load time measurements for movies and games, again on a 80GB vs. Slim, but this time both updated to 3.0

For movies, situation remained exactly the same. 80GB would consistently boot them about 10% faster. This could be because I've noticed that Slim switches between the 1x and 2x drive speed while it's loading the movie (and remains in silent 1x speed once the movie starts playing). I did not notice if 80GB does this as well, or if it maintains 2x speed at all times. The console fan was noisier at the time, so it covered any drive noise, and I didn't feel like putting my ear next to it to see if there are any changes. I might do it later if I'm bored.

As for games, phat model owners rejoice, as the games now sometimes boot 1-2 seconds faster on it than they do on Slim! Yes, the 3.0 update and removal of PS3 logo blip has apparently done a lot for the game bootup times on old model, and it shaves off some 4-5 seconds of what it was before, which makes it the same or slightly faster than Slim. After the initial bootup time however, Slim still measured the same or slightly faster load times when you load the first level of a game, etc.

80GB / Slim
Dead Space bootup time to EA logo
12s / 13s

Dead Space New Game First Level
28s / 28s

Half Life 2 first level
21s / 20s

AndyD

aka andydumi
Lord Error said:
I have done another round of load time measurements for movies and games, again on a 80GB vs. Slim, but this time both updated to 3.0

For movies, situation remained exactly the same. 80GB would consistently boot them about 10% faster. This could be because I've noticed that Slim switches between the 1x and 2x drive speed while it's loading the movie (and remains in silent 1x speed once the movie starts playing). I did not notice if 80GB does this as well, or if it maintains 2x speed at all times. The console fan was noisier at the time, so it covered any drive noise, and I didn't feel like putting my ear next to it to see if there are any changes. I might do it later if I'm bored.

As for games, phat model owners rejoice, as the games now sometimes boot 1-2 seconds faster on it than they do on Slim! Yes, the 3.0 update and removal of PS3 logo blip has apparently done a lot for the game bootup times on old model, and it shaves off some 5 seconds of what it was before, which makes it the same or slightly faster than Slim. After the initial bootup time however, Slim still measured the same or slightly faster load times when you load the first level of a game, etc.

80GB / Slim
Dead Space bootup time to EA logo
12s / 13s

Dead Space New Game First Level
28s / 28s

Half Life 2 first level
21s / 20s

I dont see any 5 seconds in your times...

And is it a BC 80gb or a non BC 80gb? And did you use the same hard drive in both? And have you tries PSN games (hard drive only)?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
AndyD said:
I dont see any 5 seconds in your times...

And is it a BC 80gb or a non BC 80gb? And did you use the same hard drive in both? And have you tries PSN games (hard drive only)?
It's 4-5 seconds gain contrasted to the same 80GB prior to updating it to 3.0

For example, the same console used to take 16s to reach the EA logo in Dead Space. It's not the same HDD in both, but I picked games that don't use the HDD anyways.

Unregistered007 said:
get off the interweb and get a life...
Sorry life police, but I am in my life, posting from work, and happy to be able to do so. :D

AndyD

aka andydumi
SolidusDave said:
You want them to also remove the wallpaper of e.g. the LwP icon or what is the point of this request?

The wallpaper of the what's new section. I really like the idea, the icons and the implementation so far, but I have no idea why they gave it that light bluish hideous and overly bright background.

Its one thing if its like the Home background that you see for about 2 seconds before you push X to enter Home, but here you could be loking through the What's new for a few minutes.

That said, remove the background from the Home button as well. These overlay wallpapers defeat the purpose of the animated themes they want us to buy if What's New covers them up upon boot time.

noah111

Still Alive
AndyD said:
Remove the ticker?
The gray boxes on friends list? Do they have plans for the future?
Transparency of it?

You can remove the ticker (while it's not an 'official' means)... and exactly what is wrong with the blue background of the what's new section (is that a serious complaint)? Also, it's quite obvious they have future plans for the friends list layout.

Overall they covered the main stuff, pretty much. Small nitpicks like a blue background isn't enough to warrant a question in the Q&A IMO..

slider

Sentry said:
You can remove the ticker (while it's not an 'official' means)... and exactly what is wrong with the blue background of the what's new section (is that a serious complaint)? Also, it's quite obvious they have future plans for the friends list layout.

Overall they covered the main stuff, pretty much. Small nitpicks like a blue background isn't enough to warrant a question in the Q&A IMO..

Nothing huge of course (nothing ever is to me) but the blue background jars asit pops up as you scroll across the XMB. I think it's especially noticeable to me cos I love the sparkles. As I said it's not a huge deal. I'm being silly now but if it faded in I wouldn't notice it as much.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The quickly fading menus are starting to drive me mad. I'm developing the habit of scrolling up and down every sec just to keep reading them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP said:
The quickly fading menus are starting to drive me mad. I'm developing the habit of scrolling up and down every sec just to keep reading them.

Its starting to get a little annoying.

I think they took one of my previous suggestions (fade out to showcase themes) in a terrible direction. They made the fade timer too short and it left the icons on the screen.

I think a good way to fade would be after 30-60 seconds of inactivity, a slower fade and everything goes to leave just the wallpapar/theme/background as a screensaver. Then the status box or a message count box can fade in if you have invites/notificationa/messages.

AndyD said:

I think they took one of my previous suggestions (fade out to showcase themes) in a terrible direction. They made the fade timer too short and it left the icons on the screen.

I think a good way to fade would be after 30-60 seconds of inactivity, a slower fade and everything goes to leave just the wallpapar/theme/background as a screensaver. Then the status box or a message count box can fade in if you have invites/notificationa/messages.
I like that idea. Too bad they didn't do it this way.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AndyD said:

Or don't let them fade out completely. Like the Options sub-sections. They fade to the point of being barely visible, but they are still readable.

peetfeet

Not sure if this has been posted (sorry if it has) but a guy has done a version of what he would like to see on the PS Forums, I think it's pretty much perfect.

me.jpg

Profile page

me_profile.jpg

Trophy compare

friends_compare.jpg

Post HERE

I love that guy's mock-up. The profile page is probably a little too busy to be the first thing you see when you go to someone's profile though; although with his friends list layout you wouldn't need to click on an individual's profile as often.

Sony needs to beef-up their servers before that'll work well though :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
peetfeet said:
Not sure if this has been posted (sorry if it has) but a guy has done a version of what he would like to see on the PS Forums, I think it's pretty much perfect.

That would nice indeed, but PS Network speed ain't up for the job I'm afraid. I mean, it already takes "ages" (relative speaking) for the Profile data to show up, not to mention compared Trophies. Stuff like that would take like 30 minutes to load (exaggerating for dramatic effect).

peetfeet

Valkyr Junkie said:
I love that guy's mock-up. The profile page is probably a little too busy to be the first thing you see when you go to someone's profile though; although with his friends list layout you wouldn't need to click on an individual's profile as often.

Sony needs to beef-up their servers before that'll work well though :lol

Good point.

Sony, just do it!

Edit:
TTP, even if it was only the friends list to change to that, would make it worth while.

noah111

Still Alive
YianGaruga said:
The friends list is PERFECT, the other 2 I don't really like/need.
Agreed, the first list mockup is nice looking and probable, the other two are too out of the XMB style IMO, still excellent mockups though.

I wonder how he did such great work, XMB and everything is perfect, must have screencap hardware at his disposal or something..

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BTW, someone on the EU blog commented that those ugly gray boxes are perhaps empty banners to be filled with the new avatars. Kinda like the portable ID, but without the trophy data and stuff.

tanod

when is my burrito
CrayzeeCarl said:
So, I just read on the PS forums that if you change your system date to enough in the future, the ticker will go away after you restart.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3updates&thread.id=112641

Doesn't work for me. All mine says is

"Check out Sega Dreamcast classics on PlayStation Store"
"Check out the PlayStation 3 lineup for E3 2011"
"See the exciting PlayStation 4 debut trialer"
"Breaking news: Despite PlayStation Home popularity, girlz still playing games"
"MGS triology re-release coming to the PlayStation Store in Holiday 2011"

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TTP said:
That would nice indeed, but PS Network speed ain't up for the job I'm afraid. I mean, it already takes "ages" (relative speaking) for the Profile data to show up, not to mention compared Trophies. Stuff like that would take like 30 minutes to load (exaggerating for dramatic effect).
Not you :O

:p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
peetfeet said:
Edit:
TTP, even if it was only the friends list to change to that, would make it worth while.

Oh yeah. I'd be fine if they just remove the banners from the list altogether, keeping it for just the highlighted contact. That friends list mock up is pretty sexy indeed.

Top Bottom