• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official PS3 Update 3.0 Thread of Clock/Battery Fix Hotness and Crotch-Grabbin' Win!

MrPliskin

Banned
MrPliskin said:
34sjpy1.jpg

This would have been 100x better. semi-transparent so you can see your BG behind the UGLY BOX (you know, since the XMB supports transparency via png...wtf Sony?).

AND it would serve some purpose with trophy information.

Seeing what this guy did on the PS Forums made me feel sad :( I too, had the same idea he did. His design is a bit better though.

One thing I would do is show data for all friends in the format he shows on the highlighted player.

DeVeAn

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I see what you mean.....but DAMN....i dont want a fu%$in refurb on a 3 month old system. This just doesnt seem right. : (
Well my refurb had brand new parts. So its not to bad. Now I have a practically brand new 60GB. Nice and Shiny.

DefectiveReject said:
Since this update (As it seems to me)
i keep getting DNS errors.
it aint my router as everything else in my house (2 laptops, Wii, iPod touch, iPhone, DS ) all pick up my connection

Have you tried putting the IP Address settings in manually on the ps3? It helped in my case, and it connects faster to the psn every time i turn it on as well.

AndyD said:
Can you post some pictures of what you are expreincing?
Here is what I'm seeing using Calling all Cars and MLB '09 as examples. MLB '09 is booting in 720p by default and Calling all Cars boots in 1080p by default. I tried Syphon Filter PS1 in full screen and it looks normal with the side bars about half an inch thick. Called Sony and they said it's an aspect ratio issue with my TV, PS3 is fine. Sorry, to stink up this thread but if someone can help me, I'm sure this is me just being a noob and messing with a setting on my TV somehow. Had to take these with my iPhone, but they show the black bars good enough.

MLB '09 - http://i31.tinypic.com/15663qa.jpg

Calling All Cars Main Menu - http://i32.tinypic.com/2yx2p29.jpg

Calling All Cars In Game - http://i28.tinypic.com/2s7xfs8.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
criesofthepast said:
Here is what I'm seeing using Calling all Cars and MLB '09 as examples. MLB '09 is booting in 720p by default and Calling all Cars boots in 1080p by default. I tried Syphon Filter PS1 in full screen and it looks normal with the side bars about half an inch thick. Called Sony and they said it's an aspect ratio issue with my TV, PS3 is fine. Sorry, to stink up this thread but if someone can help me, I'm sure this is me just being a noob and messing with a setting on my TV somehow. Had to take these with my iPhone, but they show the black bars good enough.

Looks like an issue with overscan to me. Perhaps, not sure. Ill try those games on my TV and see what it looks like. Its a Samsung and it allows 1:1 mapping but I never remember CAC ever having those bars.

Thanks AndyD. Going to call Sharp today and see if they have any advice. I'm still not totally convinced it isn't a PS3 problem. I'll probably end up buying a new Slim or Phat just to test it out and see if I get the same issues, then return it after. Lots of trouble to go through but my TV is under warranty for another few months so I want to know exactly what device is causing the problem.

EekTheKat

criesofthepast said:

Have you adjusted in-game display height/width adjustment menu? Mine's the same way with the MLB games, but they have a display option that allows you to adjust height and width of the display.

My Sharp is set to 1:1 pixel mapping, and for MLB I just go into the in-game menu and tweak the display size until the black bars are gone.

[edit] in MLB 09 it's under options - audio/video, scroll down until you see Horizontal Size/Vertical Size. It even lets you adjust H/V position as well.

Fizzle

They need to raise the charachter limit on the comments bar, so much wasted space for a measly 21 (?) charachter sentence.

And the fact they've put up the presence data next to the name of the game title proves that they're not going to raise the charachter limit on that aswell even though there's a petition for that to be raised by certain developers.

Another weird inconsistency is when you achieve a trophy whilst playing a game, you get the trophy picture that goes with it within the space of the notification box, but when a friend signs on/off you get some generic avatar logo and not their actual avatar.

EekTheKat said:
Have you adjusted in-game display height/width adjustment menu? Mine's the same way with the MLB games, but they have a display option that allows you to adjust height and width of the display.

My Sharp is set to 1:1 pixel mapping, and for MLB I just go into the in-game menu and tweak the display size until the black bars are gone.

[edit] in MLB 09 it's under options - audio/video, scroll down until you see Horizontal Size/Vertical Size. It even lets you adjust H/V position as well.
Yeah, a few games have the option to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical image size and that does work but I've never had to do that before. It all worked just by default.

My sharp is set to "dot by dot" which I think is the same as 1:1 pixel mapping, right? Well, I just tested the Dark Knight on blu-ray and I have problems with that too. From scene to scene it changes from widescreen with black bars and then to fullscreen with no bars. Why is that happening? Does that happen with 1:1 because each scene was shot with different cameras and aren't all the same resolution or what? Game menu's seem to have more black bars as well, then when it pops in game the black bars are still there but much smaller. Menu's usually are smaller resolution too, right? Thanks for the help everyone. Won't shit up the thread anymore, since this has nothing to do with 3.0. (i think)

criesofthepast said:
My sharp is set to "dot by dot" which I think is the same as 1:1 pixel mapping, right? Well, I just tested the Dark Knight on blu-ray and I have problems with that too. From scene to scene it changes from widescreen with black bars and then to fullscreen with no bars. Why is that happening? Does that happen with 1:1 because each scene was shot with different cameras and aren't all the same resolution or what?
The Dark Knight has scenes that were filmed with IMAX cameras - that's why those scenes in particular are 16:10 and have glorious detail.

As for your gaming black bars... I don't know what to tell ya. "Dot by dot" sounds like 1:1 so it shouldn't be an issue..

AndyD

aka andydumi
criesofthepast said:
Yeah, a few games have the option to adjust the Horizontal and Vertical image size and that does work but I've never had to do that before. It all worked just by default.

My sharp is set to "dot by dot" which I think is the same as 1:1 pixel mapping, right? Well, I just tested the Dark Knight on blu-ray and I have problems with that too. From scene to scene it changes from widescreen with black bars and then to fullscreen with no bars. Why is that happening? Does that happen with 1:1 because each scene was shot with different cameras and aren't all the same resolution or what? Game menu's seem to have more black bars as well, then when it pops in game the black bars are still there but much smaller. Menu's usually are smaller resolution too, right? Thanks for the help everyone. Won't shit up the thread anymore, since this has nothing to do with 3.0. (i think)

The shots in Dark Knight are indeed different cameras. That is normal.

I tried CAC just now and it has black bars on the menu and in game. Then hit start to pause a game, and go to the "screen borders" option and adjust away based on your screen. Since my TV does 1:1 mapping, I set everything to 0. TA DA! Bars are gone. CAC is a game that does not transfer settings, so moving from an older PS3 to a new slim means you need to readjust settings (my case).

What other games are you having issues with? It seems its just a matter of which games have/have not overscan and whether they allow you to compensate for it or not. Maybe you have had your TV on not 1:1 so you never noticed it before?

I recently did just switch to 1:1 after the 3.0 update and the whole big xmb font thing because switching made the font look pretty normal again, it's possible I just haven't played many games since switching and now just needed a lesson on what 1:1 really is. I had been playing games for almost 2 years in "stretch" mode so I probably didn't notice it. I don't get how every game has to be different though. Having to switch view modes depending on the game is a hassle.

Also, AndyD I adjusted the CAC border size but that doesn't effect the menu screen it's still cropped a lot on the menu screen whether it be "stretch" or "1:1". Is that normal? I don't remember it being like that even before when I had my TV on stretch. Oh, well I think everything is understood now. Thanks.

AndyD

aka andydumi
criesofthepast said:
I recently did just switch to 1:1 after the 3.0 update and the whole big xmb font thing because switching made the font look pretty normal again, it's possible I just haven't played many games since switching and now just needed a lesson on what 1:1 really is. I had been playing games for almost 2 years in "stretch" mode so I probably didn't notice it. I don't get how every game has to be different though. Having to switch view modes depending on the game is a hassle.

Also, AndyD I adjusted the CAC border size but that doesn't effect the menu screen it's still cropped a lot on the menu screen whether it be "stretch" or "1:1". Is that normal? I don't remember it being like that even before when I had my TV on stretch. Oh, well I think everything is understood now. Thanks.

There were always borders on the screen, but your TV hid them in 16:9 (not 1:1). So some games you had you were losing a little on each side, and some were just right (CAC).

Now that you are using 1:1, you are actually seeing what your TV used to hide, be it black borders like CAC or actual game portions.

A lot of games offer individual settings because they often put UI pieces close to the edge. So it makes a difference on whether you see those or not based on whether your TV allows for 1:1 or not.

The good thing is they are set it and forget it type of thing. Do it once and its that way forever in the game settings.

Glad you got it solved and you don't have to mess with tech support or new hardware. And enjoy the glory that is 1:1 gaming. Its a lot better in some games because there is a lot less aliasing (since there is no stretching).

Chris_C

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
HOLY SHIT guys.....

I have a 80GB unit i just got in June. Everything had been working flawlessly. The system has always ran quiet, and ive never had any issues at all.

3.0 came....over the last couple days ive had alot of game crashes. For instance, in the middle of COD4 the screen would just go black, and then i would be back at the XMB. Another time, the screen went black and i had to completely hold the power down to get my PS3 to reboot. I was playing the new Star Wars demo tonite that was on PSN, and when i quit it...again, black screen, and the system reboot itself.

Then...I couldnt believe it....I still cant believe it...I was just playing Arkham Asylum and the system beeped, and turned off....and....FLASHING RED LIGHT!!!!!!!!!! The motherfucker YLOD ON ME!!! A 3 month old system that was working perfectly, just YLOD!! I was able to get my game out, but this is just too damn coincidental for me.

Im really trying not to overreact here, but i seriously think 3.0 fried my damn system. There's no other explanation for a perfectly working system (a couple weeks ago) to just suddenly die. Theres no way i have the overheat issue, but why else would a PS3 YLOD?

Unf'n believeable.....this system i bought in June was to replace my launch unit that YLOD...

Come to Nigeria, I took my YLOD PS3 to a guy and he fixed in in 40 minutes.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Another minor stealth update I just discovered.

It appears the player status display text allows for more characters to be included... since it scrolls now. IIRC it was around 20 or so before.

Here is a quick video of it. (Sorry for the music in the BG, I was watching some Aphex Twin stuff on VidZone when I noticed :p)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JEpmqSvLs

This is kinda good news cos there is one less reason to keep those huge bars in place.

AndyD said:
There were always borders on the screen, but your TV hid them in 16:9 (not 1:1). So some games you had you were losing a little on each side, and some were just right (CAC).

Now that you are using 1:1, you are actually seeing what your TV used to hide, be it black borders like CAC or actual game portions.

A lot of games offer individual settings because they often put UI pieces close to the edge. So it makes a difference on whether you see those or not based on whether your TV allows for 1:1 or not.

The good thing is they are set it and forget it type of thing. Do it once and its that way forever in the game settings.

Glad you got it solved and you don't have to mess with tech support or new hardware. And enjoy the glory that is 1:1 gaming. Its a lot better in some games because there is a lot less aliasing (since there is no stretching).

Fantastic info and a great help, already enjoying 1:1 tons now that I understand what it does, thanks again everyone.

Also, my xmb ticker is back. (canada)

I notice that the info ticker banner finally get set to OFF with the PSN Store Uptade of this Thursday

the week before, I set the ticker to OFF but it was still ON for a week.

I am glad it is OFF now

Sascha23

Banned
TTP said:
Here is a quick video of it. (Sorry for the music in the BG, I was watching some Aphex Twin stuff on VidZone when I noticed :p)

No one can be faulted for enjoying anything involving Richard James' Aphex Twin.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gutter_trash said:
I notice that the info ticker banner finally get set to OFF with the PSN Store Uptade of this Thursday

the week before, I set the ticker to OFF but it was still ON for a week.

I am glad it is OFF now

I don't think you set the ticker to off as there is no option to do so. You probably mean the What's New section. You can set the system to NOT show it at start up.

As for it being off now, perhaps Sony USA just stopped the service remotely after all the complains.

xinoart

Banned
TTP said:
I don't think you set the ticker to off as there is no option to do so. You probably mean the What's New section. You can set the system to NOT show it at start up.

As for it being off now, perhaps Sony USA just stopped the service remotely after all the complains.

Hmm...my ticker is still on though? (I'm in the US) When I use my EU account though, the ticker is non-existant. Maybe it's not widespread? I have no idear.

hirokazu

xinoart said:
Hmm...my ticker is still on though? (I'm in the US) When I use my EU account though, the ticker is non-existant. Maybe it's not widespread? I have no idear.
It seems like the ticker isn't active for anyone on a Euro account. Possibly not ready for Europe yet, so you can be sure it'll be there when they get it going!

Phreak47

Since Sony has basically confirmed there will be an emergency type update shortly because of the Uncharted deal, we can maybe hope that they throw in a ticker toggle.

Otherwise, if you really want it gone....
102965_512x288_generated__dlquvGcIoU2O+8DYL9WejQ.jpg

Okay, I've got an issue. Not sure if it's 3.0-related, but I feel like the timing isn't a coincidence.

Since updating to 3.0, my fiance and I have noticed that both the Sony DVD remote and DualShock 3 controllers are sort of...de-synching? I don't know how else to describe it. Hit the PS button. Nothing. System doesn't turn on. There's no accessory functionality at all until we get up and manually hit the power button on the front of the PS3. Then the accessories begin working. It's the damndest thing.

I go into accessory settings. It shows the DVD remote, connected fine. The battery charge on the controller is fine. Get 2 or 3 bars on the indicator. We've already checked the batteries in the DVD remote.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

AndyD

aka andydumi
The Blue Jihad said:
Okay, I've got an issue. Not sure if it's 3.0-related, but I feel like the timing isn't a coincidence.

Since updating to 3.0, my fiance and I have noticed that both the Sony DVD remote and DualShock 3 controllers are sort of...de-synching? I don't know how else to describe it. Hit the PS button. Nothing. System doesn't turn on. There's no accessory functionality at all until we get up and manually hit the power button on the front of the PS3. Then the accessories begin working. It's the damndest thing.

I go into accessory settings. It shows the DVD remote, connected fine. The battery charge on the controller is fine. Get 2 or 3 bars on the indicator. We've already checked the batteries in the DVD remote.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Try resetting the controllers. And the remote (battery out for 30 minutes).

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Has anyone been having issues with the PS3 Media Server since updating to FW 3.0? I had been holding off on updating because of Uncharted but I've completed it now, and was ready to update until I heard alarm bells re: this.

Massa

Tannhauser said:
Has anyone been having issues with the PS3 Media Server since updating to FW 3.0? I had been holding off on updating because of Uncharted but I've completed it now, and was ready to update until I heard alarm bells re: this.

It's fine here.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Massa said:
It's fine here.
Same here with videos and pictures. Haven't tried music. Somene mentioned there may be issues with streaming music and also using the new upsampling for music options. But turning that off makes it work just fine.

Tannhauser said:

no problems with video, have not tried music/pics

playon works too btw

Massa

Tannhauser said:

Just to add to my previous post, I no longer get the annoying "Network error" messages when playing videos. Yay Firmware 3.0! :D

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Good to hear. Would like to hear an opinion on the music though, particularly as that appears to be an issue more likely not to have a solution (stuttering). I am a chickenshit when it comes to these things.

Massa said:
Just to add to my previous post, I no longer get the annoying "Network error" messages when playing videos. Yay Firmware 3.0! :D
For the first day in a long time, I've been getting these despairing messages all day.. I'm convinced it's because I disabled & enabled 'Media Server Connection' under the Network Settings. :(

jayb

sorry if old, but I've heard that setting your PS3 system date to 2015 and rebooting will make the news ticker go away for NA. I won't be able to try this until after work today.

Fizzle

TTP said:
Another minor stealth update I just discovered.

It appears the player status display text allows for more characters to be included... since it scrolls now. IIRC it was around 20 or so before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7JEpmqSvLs

This is kinda good news cos there is one less reason to keep those huge bars in place.

OH SHIT, that's fucking bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone else's bottom right 12th square in What's new always empty? i wonder if there is some new feature that we will get at TGS that goes there?

DMeisterJ

Banned
AndyD said:
Anyone else's bottom right 12th square in What's new always empty? i wonder if there is some new feature that we will get at TGS that goes there?

Yep, it's empty.

But it wasn't one time, I forgot what was there. It's just that there isn't much PSP news to go around :O

tirminyl

AndyD said:

Sometimes it's empty, sometimes it's not. It's annoying.

hteng

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374684&highlight=firmware+3.01

my issues here, i really don't want to think its the firmware but i can't find any other solution, i've done a full format to clear everything. I'm unable to install certain games (Soul Calibur 4) and further installation proved to be futile.

It seems system restore doesn't revert back to the old firmwares, it'll always be 3.01, so i can't really test out older firmwares. (I have 2.8 stored in my USB)

SS4Rob

Finally just updated to 3.0.1 - love the cool features but I really miss the old start up sound - I actually restarted the thing a few times to make sure I was hearing correctly :-/ *sigh*

hteng

Banned
hmm.... I really hope my issue is not isolated, so everyone's PS3 here hasn't experience any freeze ups on games other than uncharted? (Disc-based games), especially the launch and first year PS3 models?

I've looked up on the playstation boards and the blog and it seems the freezing issue is spreading... a lil bit slow.

Mh I just noticed that the "recently played" section in the What's new area can actually be quite helpful:

e.g. I started Home and Mainichi Issho with my Japanese account. Now they are listed like usual in the What's new section and can be launched with the Start button
BUT both also link to a website with the X button, e.g. the website with the listed patch/content updates for Mainichi Issho and the Home Icon displays the new Resistance 2 Home Space and links to a website about that.

So this can be used to show the newest updates/news in general specifically for your last played games, which is nice.

Top Bottom