• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Sony Gamers Day 2007 Thread [HOLY F**KING SH*T)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Raist said:
6bu8n6s.gif

You're welcome

:D

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol !!!!!!!!!!

Aleman

Uncharted was graphically underwhelming to me, at least in the IGN clips. I'm still going to buy it cause I'm sure it will be one hell of an adventure, but I was expecting it to be one of the best looking games yet. The geometry/textures look pretty average. Also, seems like they borrowed a lot from Gears for the cover system, not that that's a bad thing.

PS360

Banned
Aleman said:
Uncharted was graphically underwhelming to me, at least in the IGN clips. I'm still going to buy it cause I'm sure it will be one hell of an adventure, but I was expecting it to be one of the best looking games yet. The geometry/textures look pretty average. Also, seems like they borrowed a lot from Gears for the cover system, not that that's a bad thing.

Couldn't we say that gears borrowed it's cover system from...the many games that came before it that had a cover system?

Aleman said:

Off all the things you could have criticized, like lightning and shadowing, you had to pick the 2 where this game is supreme :lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
The only thing that seems off about Uncharted is the amount of rounds it takes to put these pirates down. The shotgun seems to work as it should, but it seems to take around 6-8 solid hits from the pistol or half a magazine clip with the AK. Hopefully, that changes before it goes gold.

Aleman

Metalmurphy said:
Off all the things you could have criticized, like lightning and shadowing, you had to pick the 2 where this game is supreme :lol

Really? I honestly wasn't all that impressed. The animation and physics were definitely the strong point, but I didn't think the geometry or textures were extraordinary.

Aleman said:

You have only seen the clips?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Aleman said:

It is for many here so...

Raist

Banned
Aleman said:

IGN videos are not exactly the best material to judge that :lol

Remember Lair ? :/

I've just made a recap post in the Uncharted thread, go go !

Aleman

Raist said:
IGN videos are not exactly the best material to judge that :lol

Remember Lair ? :/

I've just made a recap post in the Uncharted thread, go go !

I'm going... waiting for the GT trailer in HD to load ;)

The IGN vids just didn't "wow" me like any Crysis or Lair trailer does.

**edit: holy shit! nevermind. IGN takes the blame for this one. Game looks amazing.

antiloop

From now on I want to hear everything about these games that people thinks put uncharted to shame when it comes to graphics/lightning or animation. Especially if you call it mediocre.

Screens and gifs can be used as proof.

Because I want to buy them. They tickle the graphics whore in me

Aleman said:
Really? I honestly wasn't all that impressed. The animation and physics were definitely the strong point, but I didn't think the geometry or textures were extraordinary.
Texture work:
un7.jpg

As for geometry, just look at the awesome characters modeling, unless you mean buildings and stuff, then i guess its more a case of art direction.

*edit* I just noticed your watching IGN and Gametrailers videos... tsk tsk... watch this direct feed: http://videogames.yahoo.com/predownload?eid=515212

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Okay that was perhaps the most impressive scenery yet. The water fall looked great and the scene where he hangs and shoots through a opening in the wall, the detail there is just friggin amazing.

I like the platforming parts alot. That Drake is so agile when he's going from cover to cover, like a cat.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Jim said:
I'm now a Lair believer... the newer boss fight vid posted at GT (today sometime), looks great. Smooth framerate, great lighting, stunning water.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19712&type=mov&pl=game

And another Warhawk one also... literally JUST posted. Tank and on-foot stuff - surprisingly smooth and fun looking. Textures are REALLY improved.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=19714&type=mov

Beta can't come soon enough.

The fireballs are much improved, they were weak the last time the game was shown but I don't think they're a problem now. Oh and does Warhawk have tone-mapping? I wuv tone-mapping. ~_~

KTallguy

Banned
Holy crap those IGN clips suck. It's like they're TRYING to make it look bad.

In every other vid I've seen the game looks spectacular, and in the IGN clips it looks like a green muddy mess.

Way to go IGN :(

Yep, IGN can not be trusted. Lair went through a trial of bitching through tears here following IGN videos, and it was only after videos from gametrailers.com became available that people got an idea of what the game really looked like. They should probably look into getting some new people in to deal with the video stuff.

deepbrown

KTallguy said:
Holy crap those IGN clips suck. It's like they're TRYING to make it look bad.

In every other vid I've seen the game looks spectacular, and in the IGN clips it looks like a green muddy mess.

Way to go IGN :(

But then again a lot of cool new moves shown off :)

Laguna X said:
The only thing that seems off about Uncharted is the amount of rounds it takes to put these pirates down. The shotgun seems to work as it should, but it seems to take around 6-8 solid hits from the pistol or half a magazine clip with the AK. Hopefully, that changes before it goes gold.
Gun realism is almost always a problem with games. I agree with you though, I'd rather take a guy down in a couple of hits rather than an entire clip.
It's a trade off between realism and fun without keeping things frustrating for those that aren't picky about how pure real gun damage is.

deepbrown

1up's coverage of sony gamer's day is a joke. Why do I feel they have it in for Sony? They sound either aplogetic if they like a PS3 game and are scared to express themselves. OR they are unreasonable and bash for no reason other than their urge to jump on the FUD train.

KTallguy

Banned
deepbrown said:
1up's coverage of sony gamer's day is a joke. Why do I feel they have it in for Sony? They sound either aplogetic if they like a PS3 game and are scared to express themselves. OR they are unreasonable and bash for no reason other than their urge to jump on the FUD train.

That's a bit unfair. I didn't think they were overly negative. A few of them presented negative points, and then a few of them talked about positive aspects. The games aren't perfect, and they never will be, but I didn't feel a huge bias.

spwolf

KTallguy said:
That's a bit unfair. I didn't think they were overly negative. A few of them presented negative points, and then a few of them talked about positive aspects. The games aren't perfect, and they never will be, but I didn't feel a huge bias.

i think Kotaku was awesome... first coverage was OMG, OMG... then day later... Brian has confession to tell us... he found something wrong with every game!

:lol

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Rody said:
Which direct feed video is better? GT's or Yahoo's?
For Uncharted? You'll want to go with Yahoo's if you've got a real kicky fast computer. If your computer can't run it properly, go with the GameTrailer one.

deepbrown

KTallguy said:

Nah. They were definately apologetic if they liked it. It's just a contrast to them talking about the Halo beta...which IMO isn't anything to hype up at all.

KTallguy

Banned
deepbrown said:
Nah. They were definately apologetic if they liked it. It's just a contrast to them talking about the Halo beta...which IMO isn't anything to hype up at all.

Well :p I know you're looking through fanboy lenses :)

Just be happy with the new footage and the good impressions. Who cares if they're apologetic? The important thing is that the new games look awesome, and that PS3 will have a ton of good games coming out this xmas.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The comparisons shots are good, I originally thought the game had been downgraded before I saw the GD07 vids. But they need to stop adding stupid powder blue backlights for their press shots.

I still preferred the palette of E3 2006. Anyway looks great, but the environment geometry looks a bit blocky (it's 5000 more triangles per shot that will make the game run slower).

Rody

Laguna X said:
For Uncharted? You'll want to go with Yahoo's if you've got a real kicky fast computer. If your computer can't run it properly, go with the GameTrailer one.

Thanks. Yahoo's it is. :)

deepbrown

KTallguy said:
Well :p I know you're looking through fanboy lenses :)

Just be happy with the new footage and the good impressions. Who cares if they're apologetic? The important thing is that the new games look awesome, and that PS3 will have a ton of good games coming out this xmas.

fanboy lenses lol. Dude you're speaking to the wrong man. :lol But yeah 1up really aren't very impressive with their ps3 coverage...especially that girl, she always sounds so bitter. I can think of much better places to go, such as IGN.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
nice comparison. someone from nd said that they overshot the ps3's shader capabilities with that original trailer, but imo it looks better now -- the texture detail and foliage density seem intact, and the lighting and colors are now more striking. i liked the old baseball shirt though -- it should be a toggle option, like jak's goatee in jak 2.

Pimpwerx

Yixian said:
The dedicated thread is too full of xbots to make head nor tail of what's going on. But k.
For someone that seems relatively new to this forum, that analysis of the vegetation and shit deserves a round of applause for effort. I don't know if you can microanalyze ND trailers the way you can Team Kojima trailers, but that's pretty clever thinking IMO. A bit frightening for some, but I like people who attempt intellectual discussion. Welcome to GAF, unless I'm way off and you're The Artful Dodger in disguise. In which case, I say see you in hell. :p PEACE.

Top Bottom