• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official starfield concept art and making of

Ezquimacore

Banned
egaWYqW.png
a9pAv26.png
fN12XyX.png
rZ9KKAX.png
M3D6cc4.png
TTYOB4c.png
J8Rfl7n.png
KA9sAeA.png

EDMIX

I’m confused tho what is the greatest question? Is there a god? Are we alone? What does it all mean? Like if it’s are we alone does that mean it’s only humans?

I think its answered in the game and they are leaving it to be a surprise, twist etc. What if its about us encountering a alien life? Its hard to really do surprises in games tbh, I think it would be cool if its NEVER talked about ever during the marketing of the game and just mid game you actually have first contact and its revealed THAT is the true plot of the game.

it looks like the whole universe is at your finger tips , i wish todd never thought about fallout 76 in the first place so starfield would have released earlier

Might be not all planets would be habitable/explorable. They perhaps are going for realistic sci fi.

Interstellar movie told story while travelling few planets. I would expect similar. With most of the game dedicated to building means for space travel.

Definitely want them to avoid No Man's Sky type of sandbox. Impossible to make something coherent out of that.

Fredrik

Oh my 🤤 This will be awesome!
I see lots of variation here, I wonder how many planets you can visit and how open they’ll be. I’m going to expect something like Mass Effect or The Outer Worlds, anything else will be a bonus. Waiting for this will be brutal I’m really starting to feel the hype here!

Ezquimacore

Banned
Hopefully there’s enough xboxes out there next holiday. It makes sense to hold it for next holiday really, it’s gonna be a huge game and people will want to buy xboxes to play it. this will be the next big franchise for Bethesda, easily on fallout levels of success.
I think everyone will be able to play it, even playstation only gamers if they're willing to use gamepass/xcloud.

Fredrik

I think its answered in the game and they are leaving it to be a surprise, twist etc. What if its about us encountering a alien life? Its hard to really do surprises in games tbh, I think it would be cool if its NEVER talked about ever during the marketing of the game and just mid game you actually have first contact and its revealed THAT is the true plot of the game.
Personally I hope they go all in on crazy alien life forms, seems like a waste of creativity to get to create a universe and then just use it for different settings for humans.

But there is lots of potential for an interesting plot if they dare to touch faith. It’s always cringey when a writer tries to solve the biggest mysteries that clever people have tried to solve for thousands of years, but can be really powerful if they don’t try to shove their belief or non-belief down our throats and just leave all doors open instead and let us think for ourselves.
I definitely don’t want some Prometheus-Alien Covenant bullshit though, the setup in Prometheus was interesting and then they come up with the most boring conclusion imaginable in Covenant.

But yeah I hope they don’t spoil too much pre-launch.

EDMIX

It’s always cringey when a writer tries to solve the biggest mysteries that clever people have tried to solve for thousands of years

Agreed 100%

I'd rather hear about how sociality as a whole is dealing with such a transition and economically how it effects them, vs "we found out all things and here they are" lol Its just so unrealistic and imho boring.

the setup in Prometheus was interesting

Facts, one of my favorite sci fi films of all time and then they want to go out here explaining shit lol I was fine with it just staying some mystery ala 2001 Space Odyssey

Ezquimacore

Banned
Personally I hope they go all in on crazy alien life forms, seems like a waste of creativity to get to create a universe and then just use it for different settings for humans.

But there is lots of potential for an interesting plot if they dare to touch faith. It’s always cringey when a writer tries to solve the biggest mysteries that clever people have tried to solve for thousands of years, but can be really powerful if they don’t try to shove their belief or non-belief down our throats and just leave all doors open instead and let us think for ourselves.
I definitely don’t want some Prometheus-Alien Covenant bullshit though, the setup in Prometheus was interesting and then they come up with the most boring conclusion imaginable in Covenant.

But yeah I hope they don’t spoil too much pre-launch.
I expect something like interstellar where humans from the future are really the "aliens"

Fredrik

I'd like to think Todd felt bad about fallout 76 reception and said: "ok idiots, I'll make the best western rpg ever"
If what he said was true, that they’ve had this brewing in their minds for 25 years and worked on it for over 10 years, then Fallout 76 was just a side dish they did while waiting for the main course to cook. It’ll be awesome!

Robb

Gold Member
I really like the 5th pic in the OP. Hope something like that will make it into the game.

Fredrik

Agreed 100%

I'd rather hear about how sociality as a whole is dealing with such a transition and economically how it effects them, vs "we found out all things and here they are" lol Its just so unrealistic and imho boring.

Facts, one of my favorite sci fi films of all time and then they want to go out here explaining shit lol I was fine with it just staying some mystery ala 2001 Space Odyssey
Yup, agreed, the doors aren’t closed in real life so unless they want to fall flat on their face they should leave them open in fiction too, at least if it’s close enough to the real world so it’s not dodging things by being pure sci-fi fantasy.

Matt_Fox

I agree, I thought Prometheus set up some expansive and awe-inspiring possibilities...

...and all we got was the 'mad hermit' trope in Alien: Covenant. Disappointing.

Starfield

Go read the name of the ship shown in the teaser again. Its a "hint" towards one of the biggest features Starfield is going to have.

Hopefully we'll hear about it officially before E3 2022.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

i didnt know much about this game until yesterday. i got this confused with star citizen tbh, to the point that was wondering if star citizen changed its name to starfield lol :messenger_grinning_sweat:

but ho man i am looking forward to this now. loved oblivion, skyrim and looooved fallout 4. probably my most anticipated game along with halo infinite and back 4 blood atm

i didnt know much about this game until yesterday. i got this confused with star citizen tbh, to the point that was wondering if star citizen changed its name to starfield lol :messenger_grinning_sweat:

but ho man i am looking forward to this now. loved oblivion, skyrim and looooved fallout 4. probably my most anticipated game along with halo infinite and back 4 blood atm
The thing that makes me optimistic is that nothing about the setting will require elaborate animations or high-end action gameplay; two things Bethesda isn't good at.

Looks to be focused on slow, methodical exploration, and world building. Astronauts and scientists aren't action heroes. This could really play to their strengths well if done right.

kuncol02

Banned
Looks amazing and for those who dismissed yesterdays "CGI trailer"... they obviously didn't see the the statement that it was...

in-engine footage.

This game is going to be incredible...

In-game not in-engine. In-engine can for example not be rendered in realtime. First trailer of Uncharted 4 was in-engine but game never looked even half as good and run in 60fps instead of 30fps of final game.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Looks stunning. Here's hoping the game and world don't sway too far away from the concept art.

Say what you will about Bethesda's Softworks... but they have the absolute best worlds and atmospheres out of all games in the industry. Every last bit of their worlds are lovingly hand crafted, which makes me want to peak around every nook and cranny to find all the little world building things they put in their environments. Fallout 4 was the best at this. The environment and world itself is a character that is rich with back-story and history. The game told a story through the world and atmosphere, which I personally prefer. Even though Fallout 76 was a disappointment, the world was a true joy to explore.

Anywho... I hope Starfield follows suite.

CloudNull

Banned
So...far...away...

What is this based on?
Just compared to all the people complaining about the trailer in that thread and the positive praise here. I loved the trailer and trust in Todd but weird to see some hate the trailer but love the concept art. This is all just icing on the cake for me.

Agreed 100%

Prometheus has great music that really sold the atmosphere. Was such a cool movie. Too bad it kind of got ruined with Alien Covenant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom