• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Metroid (VC) Thread of Best Game Ever Made

1up

Haha, I got Bioshock last night but didnt play it until after I beat Super Metroid. 92%! Just need to find 1 more super missle and 1 more super bomb expansion.

Sharp

Hey guys! I am still without access to my Wii, and have not read the full thread yet, but it's good to know this game is receiving the acclaim it deserves! Thank you GAF for twelve pages of Super Metroid awesome in just two days! You are all my heroes!

So, I've played through to Kraid and a little thereafter. This is my first time playing, and I think I'm fucking lost. I've got the super bombs, the Ice Beam, and the super-cool dash thingy. Now I've been roaming around Brinstar picking up extra missiles and tanks and such, but I'd really like to get back to where I'm supposed to be. Any ideas?

jjasper

DeceitDecide said:
So, I've played through to Kraid and a little thereafter. This is my first time playing, and I think I'm fucking lost. I've got the super bombs, the Ice Beam, and the super-cool dash thingy. Now I've been roaming around Brinstar picking up extra missiles and tanks and such, but I'd really like to get back to where I'm supposed to be. Any ideas?

the grappling beam is the next thing you need, open the powerbomb door when you first get into Norfair that should lead you to where you want to go

jjasper said:
the grappling beam is the next thing you need, open the powerbomb door when you first get into Norfair that should lead you to where you want to go

Hmm. Seems like I just _came_ from Norfair. Somehow I was right there and lost my way. Still, this game is so fucking rad it hurts us. Thanks, jasper.

bionic77

I haven't played this game for about 5 years, but I remember spending weeks on this game when it came out trying to finish the game as fast as possible (back then it was in hope of getting a secret ending).

My best time in a speed run (without 100%) was around 29 minutes. I used to think I was the greatest Super Metroid player around before finding game messageboards and finding out that people could clear the game with 100% in under 50 minutes.

Anyone else ever try a speed run and not try to get 100%? What are some of the better times?

I've beaten Ridley (that really shouldn't need spoilers) and I'm trying to find a certain power up expansion nearby, but I just can't seem to find a way to get there. Oh well, I've gotten almost ever powerup so far without looking it up. I'm not going to ask for help now.

Red Scarlet

bionic77 said:
I haven't played this game for about 5 years, but I remember spending weeks on this game when it came out trying to finish the game as fast as possible (back then it was in hope of getting a secret ending).

My best time in a speed run (without 100%) was around 29 minutes. I used to think I was the greatest Super Metroid player around before finding game messageboards and finding out that people could clear the game with 100% in under 50 minutes.

Anyone else ever try a speed run and not try to get 100%? What are some of the better times?

No one has legitimately gotten 100% in less than 50 minutes yet (I still don't know of anyone beating my :55 without using an emulator/save states/slowdown/re-recording), and no one has gone through the game in under 29 minutes yet legitimately either. Your times may be off (like koam's were).

Right now the low time for any% is :36 or so, possibly :32.... (all times are on console and without the space-time beam).

Sharp

Finally finished reading the thread. Wow, you people sure do have some crazy ideas about walljumps! In any case, it makes me even more foaming-at-the-mouth-with-eagerness to play Super Metroid on the VC, when I get back from this ridiculously timed vacation. And a special thank you to those of you who are trying out the game for the first time--your eight dollars were well-spent and I hope you now understand the free-flowing SM love!
Red Scarlet said:
Right now the low time for any% is :36 or so, possibly :32...
Definitely 0:32. Hotarubi's run was legit, albeit absolutely incredible.

Sharp

Red Scarlet said:
The jury is still out on that with a few people.
Not really. Metroid2002 and the actual speedrunners over there, as well as nate at SDA and most of the Japanese speedrunning community, believe it to be real. There was some initial shock of the "I don't fucking believe this" sort, but that was mostly cleared up awhile back. Still, it's not the sort of thing I'd get in a fight over.

Anyway everyone go back to talking about how awesome Super Metroid is!

Linkhero1

Sharp said:
Finally finished reading the thread. Wow, you people sure do have some crazy ideas about walljumps! In any case, it makes me even more foaming-at-the-mouth-with-eagerness to play Super Metroid on the VC, when I get back from this ridiculously timed vacation. And a special thank you to those of you who are trying out the game for the first time--your eight dollars were well-spent and I hope you now understand the free-flowing SM love!

Definitely 0:32. Hotarubi's run was legit, albeit absolutely incredible.
I'm watching that one right now. It's really amazing.

Sharp

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, really, but nate decided to overstep everyone. I know of a number of people (speedrunners) that still don't recognize it. But I'll stop there.
In any case there is a PAL speedrun or two from the folks at metroid2002 that beats 0:36, unless that's not considered legitimate either (I don't remember the exact details but I don't think there was any controversy over it).

Red Scarlet

PAL's a different category due to the timing being different. I know only in the PAL version you can skip the bomb Torizo boss due to it, but I've never actually seen someone do that. Could be cool to check out.

Sharp

Red Scarlet said:
PAL's a different category due to the timing being different. I know only in the PAL version you can skip the bomb Torizo boss due to it, but I've never actually seen someone do that.
It's been done, and there are several videos on the site. You should keep up with some of the latest advances! (Technically it's possible to do in NTSC too, but it's almost impossible even for a TAS).

Red Scarlet

I don't see any PAL runs at SDA..where'd you get them, Sharp?

I kinda stopped keeping up with the advances a few months after I finished my run.

Sharp

They're not at SDA, they're buried somewhere in the "Best Times" thread at m2k2. At least, I think they are.

jman2050

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, really, but nate decided to overstep everyone. I know of a number of people (speedrunners) that still don't recognize it. But I'll stop there.

Having seen the run myself, either those people are overly cynical or jealous. Either way, I would definitely approach their opinions with a grain of salt.

bionic77

Red Scarlet said:
No one has legitimately gotten 100% in less than 50 minutes yet (I still don't know of anyone beating my :55 without using an emulator/save states/slowdown/re-recording), and no one has gone through the game in under 29 minutes yet legitimately either. Your times may be off (like koam's were).

Right now the low time for any% is :36 or so, possibly :32.... (all times are on console and without the space-time beam).
Now it has been over a decade since I was actually good at Super Metroid and serious about improving my times, but I am pretty sure I beat the game in about 30 minutes. And this was done on a SNES console (I don't even think SNES emulation was possible back then). What do you mean my times were off? I don't think I did it in one playthrough and I see to remember picking up some time with the save stations, but this might be my faulty memory.

Damn, wish I would have kept that cart. Amazingly enough it wasn't even my Super Metroid cart. I lent my friend Chrono and he lent me Super Metroid. Asshole even erased my save, though not even sure it would have lasted this long.

Sharp

bionic77 said:
Now it has been over a decade since I was actually good at Super Metroid and serious about improving my times, but I am pretty sure I beat the game in about 30 minutes. And this was done on a SNES console (I don't even think SNES emulation was possible back then). What do you mean my times were off? I don't think I did it in one playthrough and I see to remember picking up some time with the save stations, but this might be my faulty memory.

Damn, wish I would have kept that cart. Amazingly enough it wasn't even my Super Metroid cart. I lent my friend Chrono and he lent me Super Metroid. Asshole even erased my save, though not even sure it would have lasted this long.
You got the game again on VC, right? Just making sure as part of my regular rounds before I head out, my Internet time drawing to a close.

beef3483

donny2112 said:
Complete Super Metroid with 100% without using a guide and complete Metroid Prime 1 100% without using a guide. Then you can talk about 3D exploration vs. 2D exploration. IMO, 3D exploration is made easier by the fact that designers want you to find everything. They point it out, give hints as to where a hidden area is. Super Metroid does no such thing in the quest for 100%. 3D exploration could be better than 2D exploration, hypothetically, if they actually hid things in the 3D versions, but that's not the case comparing Super Metroid to Metroid Prime, IMO.

My motivation was to beat the game, not get 100%. In Super Metroid, I had all but two energy tanks and I beat it easily. Difficultly level and motivation to explore are tied together.

In Metroid Prime, you need those energy tanks. I must have died 5 times trying to beat Metroid Prime on the first try, but I only had half the energy tanks I could have.

And the only hints Prime gave was to get to the next part of the game and they can be turned off. Energy tanks and missiles hints aren't given. In Prime some secrets are obvious and others were very cleverly hidden. Besides both games have a scan visor that reveals hidden areas.

I'm not going to knock people who appreciate 2D exploration, but IMO 3D exploration is better, even in the Metroid games.

bionic77

Sharp said:
You got the game again on VC, right? Just making sure as part of my regular rounds before I head out, my Internet time drawing to a close.
Yes. One of only three games I have on VC.

Red Scarlet

bionic77 said:

I mean your times were off because nobody has yet done (and proven to have done) :29 on a console, least of all not 10 years ago. So it's doubtful that :29 was what you got.

AdmiralViscen said:
Link please.

http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperMetroid.html

donny2112

beef3483 said:
Besides both games have a scan visor that reveals hidden areas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO *wipes tears from eyes*

The scan visor won't *ahem* completely help you out in Super Metroid. It'll certainly help you out a lot, though.

Is it just Metroid Prime 2 that has the sound effect when you get near a powerup? I thought that was in Metroid Prime 1, too.

R-User!

Dragona Akehi said:
Why is this thread on page 4?

GIT BACK ON MAH FRONT PAGE

GIT BACK ON ARR FRONT PAGE

at least until this coming monday, right? (i think that a week of Super Metroid love/exposure is definitely deserved being that this game hasn't been re-released since forever)

bionic77

Red Scarlet said:
The buzzing sound is in MP1 and 2.

Whatever time you did get bionic, is much better than mine. :D
I started playing the game again yesterday. I totally suck balls at the game and it already has taken me like 20 minutes to get to and beat Kraid.

I remember it being so easy to go through the game without getting hit, now it seems difficult. The controls and gameplay are still perfect though.

Armitage

Clear time - 5:14! 65%! 6 deaths. I'm still somehow sucky at this game after half a dozen play throughs, but it's still amazing.

Insaniac

well i'm stuck in a certain room, can't figure out how to get out.

It's a room in Maridia, just got plasma beam (beat the boss) and was adventuring around. Sunk in some sand and fell into a room I can't seem to get out of. There's a Reserve Tank and missile powerup.

Edit: gamefaqs 100% run says use the spring ball... i don't have it ugh.

one more edit: says to sink the quicksand under the pitblocks. the one location I didn't try :lol

Aeana

Insaniac said:
well i'm stuck in a certain room, can't figure out how to get out.

It's a room in Maridia, just got plasma beam (beat the boss) and was adventuring around. Sunk in some sand and fell into a room I can't seem to get out of. There's a Reserve Tank and missile powerup.

Edit: gamefaqs 100% run says use the spring ball... i don't have it ugh.

You can fall through more sand in the... right? corner to get out, I believe.

Aeana

Armitage said:
So, I think I missed a powerup entirely. In the 'misc' section I'm missing whatever fits in the third slot.

That's the
spring ball
. It's not needed to finish the game, but it definitely makes things a bit easier.

Saoh

sorry to bump, but im kinda stuck here:

Super_Metroid000.jpg

i don't know what to do with that running bird/thing. do i have to go all the way up by wall jumps? o_O

it's true, this game is awesome.

Saoh

i know, i do that. and there's a wall at the end.

do i have to wall jump all the way back up? 'cuz damn it was a long fall.

Aeana

Saoh said:
sorry to bump, but im kinda stuck here:

Super_Metroid000.jpg

i don't know what to do with that running bird/thing. do i have to go all the way up by wall jumps? o_O

it's true, this game is awesome.

Run until you're flashing, then press down to stop. You'll still be flashing, then just jump straight up.

I beat the game. Problem though; I saved at the last save point before Mother Brain, and now when I start the game I can't get back up to Brinstar. Do I have to start the whole game again or am I missing a secret path?

TheGreatDave said:
I beat the game. Problem though; I saved at the last save point before Mother Brain, and now when I start the game I can't get back up to Brinstar. Do I have to start the whole game again or am I missing a secret path?

Sadly, that is the one save spot that you can't escape from. Once you've saved there, you have to start all over again to get a higher completion percentage.

Top Bottom