• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Thread : Unity Users Unite!

Isn't Unity Javascript and C# only though?

Popping my fucking collar in celebration of this thread:

i9GjeerpdZv6d.jpg
Java, C#, and Boo

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I downloaded and installed Unity on my mac. Seems very powerful.

How are folks making their models as Unity doesn't have any ability to edit geometry. Are their any good free tools?

"How are folks making their models as Unity doesn't have any ability to edit geometry. Are their any good free tools?"

Blender is pretty much "the" free 3D package. Giant community, completely free, very full featured.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"How are folks making their models as Unity doesn't have any ability to edit geometry. Are their any good free tools?"

Blender is pretty much "the" free 3D package. Giant community, completely free, very full featured.

Thanks. I've now downloaded it and had a play. It's very powerful. I can't believe it's free.

cyberheater

So what's the chance the Unity will significantly drop their price? The free version is okay but I don't feel like spending a lot of time getting my head around it as there is no way I'm dropping $1,500 for Unity 5.

"So what's the chance the Unity will significantly drop their price? The free version is okay but I don't feel like spending a lot of time getting my head around it as there is no way I'm dropping $1,500 for Unity 5."

Unity 5 will have a free version as well, unless they decide to change things drastically.

TimeKillr

So what's the chance the Unity will significantly drop their price? The free version is okay but I don't feel like spending a lot of time getting my head around it as there is no way I'm dropping $1,500 for Unity 5.

There are very few things the pro version will offer you if you're not an actual pro developer. Believe me, seriously. You can ship full games with the free version with very little actual issues - the more annoying one is the forced unity splashscreen :)

cyberheater

"So what's the chance the Unity will significantly drop their price? The free version is okay but I don't feel like spending a lot of time getting my head around it as there is no way I'm dropping $1,500 for Unity 5."

Unity 5 will have a free version as well, unless they decide to change things drastically.

I might wait until that comes out first then. It will give me time to work on blender which is absolute excellent with plenty of tutorials on youtube.

Unity offer a subscription model, for example you can get Unity Pro for $75 a month.

https://store.unity3d.com/products/subscription

Yes. Not exactly a hobbyist friendly price.

There are very few things the pro version will offer you if you're not an actual pro developer. Believe me, seriously. You can ship full games with the free version with very little actual issues - the more annoying one is the forced unity splashscreen :)

Thanks. Hopefully things will change with version 5.

TimeKillr

Thanks. Hopefully things will change with version 5.

Seriously, if you're a true hobbyist, then sticking with the free version is the thing to go. The worst thing that'll happen is you make a game, sell it, make 1500$ then use that money to buy Pro.

The few things Pro will give you, again, are really not needed if you're a hobbyist. I doubt you need what's in this: http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

Admittedly, *some* stuff like dynamic objects in NavMeshes is nice to have, but most of the other stuff is just fluff you'll never really need unless you're a professional developer.

Also, 1500$ for a license for something like Unity is dirt cheap.

cyberheater

Seriously, if you're a true hobbyist, then sticking with the free version is the thing to go. The worst thing that'll happen is you make a game, sell it, make 1500$ then use that money to buy Pro.

The few things Pro will give you, again, are really not needed if you're a hobbyist. I doubt you need what's in this: http://unity3d.com/unity/licenses

Admittedly, *some* stuff like dynamic objects in NavMeshes is nice to have, but most of the other stuff is just fluff you'll never really need unless you're a professional developer.

Also, 1500$ for a license for something like Unity is dirt cheap.

It still seems too high.

I'm looking at a different route now. I'm learning C++ and looking at Ogre or Irrlicht at the moment.

Feep

Banned
Any suggestion what would be the best way to approach isometric game in Unity. I´m looking for proper depth layering and snapping for tiles. I browsed through the 2d addons from asset store but none of them are really addressed for isometric games in mind.

Here´s some tiles that I´ve made earlier, when I was planning the pipeline for the gfx creation.
Picture-4.jpg

and a basic level mockup made from the tiles:
isotest.jpg

I´ve just started evaluating different game engines suitable for a project like this. Any suggestions are welcome.
Depth sorting on a grid is easy: you just draw top to bottom, sorted in diagonal "rows". The problem with this is that every asset needs to fit into these cells, and large objects need to be broken up.

I use a fairly complex system (Bastion and Transistor use similar systems) where each structure is represented by a (convex) polygon footprint. You can then do a little math to figure out if a character is behind or in front of a structure, and alter the sorting order accordingly. It's a bit of a pain to set up, but it's working just fine.

Edit: Holy shit that post was from April 2012

"I might wait until that comes out first then. It will give me time to work on blender which is absolute excellent with plenty of tutorials on youtube."

More than likely your Unity 4 project will upgrade to a Unity 5 project with no problems.

cyberheater

More than likely your Unity 4 project will upgrade to a Unity 5 project with no problems.

I hope so.

The big draw for me relative to Unity is the large community and the huge amount of tutorial videos on Youtube. A wealth of information.

Sigma722

It looks like the OP hasn't been updated since 2012. Are there better resources now for people that are actively using Unity vs. what was current in 2012?

TimeKillr

I hope so.

The big draw for me relative to Unity is the large community and the huge amount of tutorial videos on Youtube. A wealth of information.

Yeah, there's a ton of information, not to mention a shitton of insanely useful plugins that make game dev much easier.

You have kickass GUI tools, stuff for prototyping, 2D kits, everything, It's really nice, and most of them are really cheap (and you can typically get them on sale too!). Not to mention they all pretty much work 100% out of the box with the free version of Unity.

You don't need a Pro license unless you need some very specific features. It's nothing to worry about.

cyberheater

I've decided to stick to Unity and am going thru the tutorials and documentation. It's very powerful.

Top Bottom