• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone's working on importing Daggerfall into Unity..

Jac_Solar

I just noticed this project on moddb.com;

Daggerfall Tools for Unity

A suite of tools for importing Daggerfall into Unity3D and creating your own games and mods based on Daggerfall. Import any texture, model, sound effect, city, dungeon, season, and climate. Also has working weapons (with dual wielding), animated skies, enemy AI, combat features, building interiors, and a mature API for reading data from Daggerfall into Unity. 100% open source under MIT license. Development is highly active with frequent updates. Good documentation is available with tutorials and web demos to play with. The developer is friendly and open to suggestions for new features.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/daggerfall-tools-for-unity

It sounds like they/he have just started making it, but it sounds very interesting, and if realized, could have lots of potential. Imagine an open source Daggerfall world template, where people could relatively easily add quests, villages, dungeons, items and general content.

Here's an update and overview of his goals;

A fully streaming overworld is under development. This first article of a series takes a look at adding more fine detail to Daggerfall's basic elevation map.

For the last week or so, I've been knuckling down on creating a fully streaming overworld in Daggerfall Tools for Unity. If you're not sure what I aim to accomplish, here's a brief overview of how I want this to work from the Unity Editor.

1. Setup DaggerfallUnity singleton as normal.
  2. Add prefab StreamingWorld into scene hierarchy.
  3. Add prefab PlayerAdvanced into scene hierarchy.
  4. Set player virtual position in PlayerGPS and virtual time in WorldTime.
  5. Hit Play and explore entire Illiac Bay, entering any building, any dungeon, and experiencing full day/night cycle with climate and seasons.

In many ways, I'm already very close to this goal. The tools have procedural loading of cities and dungeons, virtual time and space, climates and seasons, day and night, interiors and exteriors, and more. What's missing is a full terrain setup and intelligent loading/unloading of blocks as player traverses the world.

You can probably imagine what a huge job this is. While I am working very quickly towards this goal, it will be another 3-4 weeks before it all comes together in a state that I'm happy with. To maintain regular updates over that time, I will split news on my progress over multiple articles.

[...]

http://www.moddb.com/mods/daggerfall-tools-for-unity/news/streaming-world-part-1

He also talks about how Daggerfalls world map is generated from a height map, how a a single pixel on that map represents a full sized city in Daggerfall, and how to make the terrain more varied in Unity.

Daggerfall is 62,394 square miles. To get an idea of how large that is, the U.K, the real country, is 94,060 square miles. If I remember correctly, one of the developers or someone affiliated with the project stated that it'd take 2 weeks in real time to cross the game world on foot, running.

Jac_Solar

I thought a PC gamer was trying to mod AC Unity to completely replace it with Daggerfall. LOL

Ops, I edited the title to mention that it's the game engine, but I don't think it shows on the forum -- it seems to only show when you enter the thread.

Top Bottom