• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
All Hail C-Webb said:
There are already 400 people at the SonyStyle store in Manhattan.
400 ****ing people lining up for at least 24 hours. Insane.

That was my best shot at securing a PS3, but looking at the weather I'm glad I won't be stuck in it. Major Storm Sytem headed our way wit high winds and heavy rain with chance of thunderstorms. Hope it starts hailing and all the campers have to seek shelter somewhere else.

Jesus I'm tempted to walk by the store just to see the madness myself.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I tested what Gofreak said and held the PS button while in the audio player to see if I could move to other things like web browsing while still listening to the music and does not work. Holding the PS button just brings up a black screen with "Turn off controller; Turn off system".

Maybe in the earlier versions when they showed off XMB available during games that worked because it would bring up XMB and let you move around. But not now... :(

It is a nice cd player though. Listening to Sea Change now and sounds really good!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
threeball said:
The people I am with are really nice. This one guy is super rich and he ordered pizza, went to Costco down the street and got drinks and snacks and all. We have our tents set up. The 7 others I am with are nice. It is me, my friend(both 19 years old), 4 high school kids, and two parents. We had a game of 3 on 3 football in the parking lot about an hour ago. It's not bad.
If he's "super rich," what the hell is the point of camping out for 36 hours to make a $500 profit at most (since as you said, you're all scalping)?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
cvxfreak said:
DSC00739.JPG

unf unf unf

It must have been like sex, opening up the package and setting the system up

Bebpo

Banned
Forget what I just wrote!!!

Gofreak FTW!!!

But the implimentation is SO STUPID. You have to hold the PS button down for like 1-2 secs but not 3-4 secs and then let go and suddenly you'll be kicked back to XMB with the music still playing! Who designed this arghghh!?!

*edit* you just press it. Don't hold it. Also going to the PS Store kills the music.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bebpo said:
Ok, I tested what Gofreak said and held the PS button while in the audio player to see if I could move to other things like web browsing while still listening to the music and does not work. Holding the PS button just brings up a black screen with "Turn off controller; Turn off system".
Bebpo, don't hold the button, just press it:

Multitasking is a bit of a hidden feature on PS3, as the system tries to make everything as simple and idiot-proof as possible -- the XMB is designed largely to do one thing at a time. However, when doing any one task, a press of the PlayStation home button will background that feature and allow you to go do something else with your system. The PSP does this as well with its Home button, but once you choose another function of the system (say the Web Browser or Video folder), the PSP kicks the music off. With PS3, the music keeps rolling through your playlists.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745278p1.html

BlueTsunami

Bebpo said:
Forget what I just wrote!!!

Gofreak FTW!!!

But the implimentation is SO STUPID. You have to hold the PS button down for like 1-2 secs but not 3-4 secs and then let go and suddenly you'll be kicked back to XMB with the music still playing! Who designed this arghghh!?!

That seriously sounds horrible. At least on the 360 you had

Click = Blade Overly

Hold = Turn off Controller/Console

Its good to hear that it works though :D

Edit: Wait, so it sounds as though you just press it once without holding it in for long to go back into XMB? Thats not bad at all

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
see above, Bebpo. I don't think you have to hold it for any length of time, just press it. Not dissimilar to how you use the center button on the 360.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, you just press it to get to music...yet any other time you use the PS button you have to HOLD it for 4-5 secs. Unintuitive FTL!

Bebpo

Banned
Tabris said:
Seriousely, does anyone have anything nice to say about the PS3? :(

Reading this forum is ruining my launch excitement.

You can rip cds!

It's called "import" and it saves them as AAC files. Rips fairly fast.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Bebpo said:
You can rip cds!

You can specify what format and bitrate you save them as. MP3 is supported too.

Bebpo

Banned
kaching said:
You can specify what format and bitrate you save them as. MP3 is supported too.

This would be under options I guess, as in system options?

Also I'm growing fond of the visualizer. There's this neat one that is giving me a Volcano meets Loco Roco vibe :p

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
I had this problem to. How are you running the sound?

Apparently my PS2 monster cable is too fat to allow the optical to rest properly.

And it turns out my brother has a rather large collection of HDMI cables. :lol

So I switched to HDMI + optical, changed the settings... and still nothing. -_-

EDIT: And now a hissing noise. WTF.

EDIT 2: It works through normal HDMI sound without optical... better figure out how to fix it later. Off to some Genji, I guess.

JB1981

cvxfreak said:
Apparently my PS2 monster cable is too fat to allow the optical to rest properly.

And it turns out my brother has a rather large collection of HDMI cables. :lol

So I switched to HDMI + optical, changed the settings... and still nothing. -_-

EDIT: And now a hissing noise. WTF.

EDIT 2: It works through normal HDMI sound without optical... better figure out how to fix it later. Off to some Genji, I guess.

Go into the audio settings and see what they offer. It's bound to be in there somewhere.

threeball

Banned
OK, me and my friend are in our tents and getting ready for sleep. It is 11:30.

The ground is so hard and the wind is still blowing hard but we will get by. I got gloves and a hat and coat and stuff and a blanket + spacer blanket. Temperature is 35 degrees according to DMN.

I'll post again tomorrow.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
wait, so this means that if someone had a TV that couldn't do 720p (for example) but could do 1080i, the PS3 couldn't upscale it?

xaosslug

Tabris said:
Seriousely, does anyone have anything nice to say about the PS3? :(

Reading this forum is ruining my launch excitement.

not really. IMO, the n(egativity) to p(ositivity) ratio is heavily in favor of p, at least in this thread. :lol

RaijinFY said:
Genji's box looks good.

that's what I was gonna say! Then again, from what I've read, looking good's not Genji's problem. ;p

Tabris

Bebpo said:
You can rip cds!

How about video support? Networking with your PC?

I mean I'm hoping my PS3 will be shown as another computer on my network and I can copy/download videos to my PS3 from my PC because the 360 video support sucks right now.

Hopefully it's not a mp4 only deal like PSP.

D2G

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
wait, so this means that if someone had a TV that couldn't do 720p (for example) but could do 1080i, the PS3 couldn't upscale it?

the tv dont have to do 720p just accept the signal

JB1981

Tabris said:
How about video support? Networking with your PC?

I mean I'm hoping my PS3 will be shown as another computer on my network and I can copy/download videos to my PS3 from my PC because the 360 video support sucks right now.

Hopefully it's not a mp4 only deal like PSP.

I was under the impression that the PS3 was basically a closed system at this point

Sean*O

the tv dont have to do 720p just accept the signal

That's essentially correct. If your TV can not ACCEPT a 720p signal (My Mitsubishi HD RPTV can not, nor can many others) nor can i accept a 1080p signal, then you get 480p from your PS3 (on games.. don't know about BRD movies... has anyone tried?)

CamHostage

Bebpo said:
Yeah, you just press it to get to music...yet any other time you use the PS button you have to HOLD it for 4-5 secs. Unintuitive FTL!

Actually, if PSP's any indication, can't you triangle out while it's still running and get to at least the Music folder menu? The XMB is designed to play the media either in the player or on the media browser, it's not supposed to stop playing off until you enter a command that breaks it; on PSP, that command would be something like selecting a different menu on XMB or choosing a different song, but on PS3, I think it just rolls until you select something that makes noise. I think?

Bebpo

Banned
CamHostage said:
Actually, if PSP's any indication, can't you triangle out while it's still running and get to at least the Music folder menu? The XMB is designed to play the media either in the player or on the media browser, it's not supposed to stop playing off until you enter a command that breaks it; on PSP, that command would be something like selecting a different menu on XMB or choosing a different song, but on PS3, I think it just rolls until you select something that makes noise. I think?

No, when you hit X to go back to the folder menu it kills the music. The only way to keep the music playing is pressing the PS button.

mckmas8808 said:
Hmmm.....

I'm guessing he was expecting it to change into full english like Resistance/RR7. But like I've said in my region listing thread Genji II does not have english text/menus, it only has an option for English voices under sound optoins.

CamHostage

BlueTsunami said:
That seriously sounds horrible. At least on the 360 you had

Click = Blade Overly

Hold = Turn off Controller/Console

Its good to hear that it works though :D

Edit: Wait, so it sounds as though you just press it once without holding it in for long to go back into XMB? Thats not bad at all

You know what, I wonder if maybe Sony at the last minute had to back out of some PS3 features because they copied, either inadvertantly or directly, MS's Xbox blades (and could have brought a suit)? The original PS3 in-game menu had the XMB overlay and the button worked just like the 360 button, but then that suddenly disappeared. Maybe most of that was fine and the way they wanted to go until perhaps there was some freaky little detail about how they were doing it that they caught a MS patent for? There's no law being broken in having a center button, or having a multifunctional in-feature menu, or having multitasking, or doing any of the many other things that Sony has already done that MS has done, same as you might be able to see in various parts and parcels in another OS on a cellphone or PDA or PC, but maybe there was one aspect that was just over the line and that they caught before finalizing the retails. I don't see why they would have dumped the XMB "blade" on PS3 otherwise in the current version ... even though their current PS Button implementation is now is eerily close to 360 as well, only blade-less.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So you can play the music from the Music folder in XMB, while you play any game (you would first disable in-game music obviously)

Bebpo

Banned
Marconelly said:
So you can play the music from the Music folder in XMB, while you play any game (you would first disable in-game music obviously)

No. You can't play your music when doing anything "real" besides web browsing and messaging people. If you go to the Playstation store the music stops, if you load a game the music stops, if you go to settings the music stops...

Also I think one thing you're mis-understanding, which is something I mis-understood as well until I tried it, is that the XMB does not exist once a game is booted. Holding down the PS button only brings up a simple black screen with "quit game, assign controllers, shut down controller, shut down system".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bebpo said:

No. You can't play your music when doing anything "real" besides web browsing and messaging people. If you go to the Playstation store the music stops, if you load a game the music stops, if you go to settings the music stops...
I got a bit lost in this thread so excuse my ignorance on the issue. Now that I think about it, I think I heard the music works with photos too.

Bebpo said:
Also I think one thing you're mis-understanding, which is something I mis-understood as well until I tried it, is that the XMB does not exist once a game is booted. Holding down the PS button only brings up a simple black screen with "quit game, assign controllers, shut down controller, shut down system".
What happens if you just tap PS button during the game though?

Bebpo

Banned
Marconelly said:
What happens if you just tap PS button during the game though?

Nothing...at all. At first you think it's broken because on the X360 a simple press of the button brings up a blade, but you try pressing the PS button and nothing happens. Then you finally hold it for 4-5 seconds and you get that black screen.

cvxfreak

Thanks a lot for the clarification Bebpo. :)

Genji II's honestly not that bad. But I think in the end it does deserve its scores.

My PlayStation network name is fireemblempride.

BlueTsunami

Bebpo said:
Nothing...at all. At first you think it's broken because on the X360 a simple press of the button brings up a blade, but you try pressing the PS button and nothing happens. Then you finally hold it for 4-5 seconds and you get that black screen.

Sounds like Sony REALLY needs to fix that with a Firmware update. As you already stated, thats really unintuitive. Having to get to a screen by holding down the PS Button somewhere in between 0 and 4 Seconds is just annoying. Definitely should just be a simple button press.

SamBishop

Banned
Apologies if this has already been screamed but US servers are live (or at least Registration is). I was able to log into the Resistance servers, but of course nobody is playing. I say we try to get some multiplayer going if the servers will allow it. Anyone game for some Ridge Racer 7 or Resistance after regging their US account?

cvxfreak

SamBishop said:
Apologies if this has already been screamed but US servers are live (or at least Registration is). I was able to log into the Resistance servers, but of course nobody is playing. I say we try to get some multiplayer going if the servers will allow it. Anyone game for some Ridge Racer 7 or Resistance after regging their US account?

I myself registered my account in the US site. Downloading the Resistance demo now.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Just set up my system. Now downloading the update, which is taking a little while. :D
Haha, I got the EMS confirmation right after checking this thread. Glad you got Genji at the same time too :)

SamBishop

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I myself registered my account in the US site. Downloading the Resistance demo now.

Ah, it's a multiplayer demo? Very cool. I'm grabbing the Motorstorm demo, but I don't know if retail copies will mix with the demo versions. If anyone wants to try out the JP versions of RR7 or Resistance after registering on the US site, I'd be curious to see if they simply breakdown the servers by region since I believe the games are more or less the exact same -- Resistance is at least.

I logged into Ridge Racer 7 earlier today with my JP account and I think it was just going to the US servers (nobody was on), so it may just detect where you're logging in from, which is a bummer. I also foolishly deleted my first profile and wiped out my Resistance clear data, so beware, folks, the game saves are per user. I know that's sort of a no-brainer, but I thought they'd at least allow you to transfer saves afterward. Nooope. Bye-bye all that progress I'd made with the launch games over the past couple days.

[edit] Anyone's more than welcome to add me, by the way -- I'm going by the incredibly original name of SamBishop.

Bebpo

Banned
My PS3 locked up while trying to register a new US account :( Going to try again now.

You have to use a different e-mail address than your Japan account :(

BuddyC

SamBishop said:
Ah, it's a multiplayer demo? Very cool. I'm grabbing the Motorstorm demo, but I don't know if retail copies will mix with the demo versions. If anyone wants to try out the JP versions of RR7 or Resistance after registering on the US site, I'd be curious to see if they simply breakdown the servers by region since I believe the games are more or less the exact same -- Resistance is at least.

I logged into Ridge Racer 7 earlier today with my JP account and I think it was just going to the US servers (nobody was on), so it may just detect where you're logging in from, which is a bummer. I also foolishly deleted my first profile and wiped out my Resistance clear data, so beware, folks, the game saves are per user. I know that's sort of a no-brainer, but I thought they'd at least allow you to transfer saves afterward. Nooope. Bye-bye all that progress I'd made with the launch games over the past couple days.
I can shoot you a cleared Resistance save, if you'd like.

SamBishop

Banned
Bebpo said:
My PS3 locked up while trying to register a new US account :( Going to try again now.

You have to use a different e-mail address than your Japan account :(

Same happened to me; I think they rebooted the servers or something. Luckily it went through the second time.

BuddyC said:
I can shoot you a cleared Resistance save, if you'd like.

Dude, that would rock. I was just getting used to the dual pistols, too.

Top Bottom