• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
arne said:
so... as far as EB/GS pre-orders, people are getting a call for both scenarios? i.e. telling them they have a system or that they won't?
I just got my "official" call. I'm getting my system.

Sirolf

My JP PS3 has not yet shipped from NCSX.com..I've send numerous mails today with no answers.
Very strange from their part.I've a bad feeling about this :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
TwIsTeD said:
also I work in Richmond,VA and the CC that has the 100 units at midnight had campers early this morning so that effectively eliminates even attempting to score one over there

Yeah Twisted I just drove over there like 30 minutes ago and seen at least 75 people.
And at Best Buy I seen like 15 people standing in line.

I took pictures and will upload them when I get home.

J-Rzez

Flo_Evans said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!

just got the call! Both me and my buddy are getting our PS3s!!!

w00t

now what crappy launch games to buy :(

Um, why not just buy a great launch game... Resistance?

TwIsTeD

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah Twisted I just drove over there like 30 minutes ago and seen at least 75 people.
And at Best Buy I seen like 15 people standing in line.

I took pictures and will upload them when I get home.
yea i was tempted to take some pics but i dont want to incriminate those filthy ebay sellers lol...but seriously i have camped out for playstation 2 and nothing like this happened its the people who wanna sell it on ebay that are making this alot harder then it should have been.
just glad im getting mine,mckmas you still getting yours?

Bebpo

Banned
So general thoughts on the console after a day:

-Hardware-wise the console is very nice. It’s silent, sexy, and easily modifiable (changing HDDs, hooking in USB/Bluetooth stuff).

-OS is very cool, but in definite need of some updates. It’s fast, looks good, has tooooons of options to mess around with (fun fun fun), and it can do all sorts of stuff...but at the same time some basic functions are missing (can’t leave audio player and have song keep playing while you do other stuff in XMB; NO XMB AT ALL WHEN IN GAME >_< x 1000; Text entry niggles; NO SCALER)

-Blu-ray player is OMFG AWESOME. I built a PC for HD HTPC about 6 months ago so I’ve gotten fairly used to watching 1080p clips and all sorts of HD on my TV, but just being able to pop in a film and get a stunning 1080p transfer with no motion artifacts (damn you HD Cable!!) or problems at all is :D~~~~ Once they actually start pumping out films in mass (and once Japan gets their ass into gear with releasing current HD TV anime on BD) and the selection grows blu-ray is going to be a VERY good reason to own a PS3 even besides the games. The PS3 controller works quite well for a remote, but there’s no way to eject the disc (guess they need an incentive to buy the real remote). I’m honestly more excited about upcoming movies than games atm...although only until THE KING...aka. VF5 hits in Feb/March (GOFTY).

-Sound quality in general is extremely good. Until now, many games have had to compress sound effects, voices, and music into LQ or MQ samples to conserve disc space; but with all the space available on blu-ray you’re hearing extremely HQ sound. Hell, Gundam has VERY good music and the voice clips are as good as you’d get while watching a DVD. Very nice.

-The way the PS3 starts up with the music is awesome each time.

-Can’t tell how good friends list is since no one accepted my invitations (...is it even working?)...

-PS2 BC is alright. It’s basically a PS2. Maybe the loading is slightly better, but probably the biggest speed upgrade is with any game that took forever to access the memory cards. Now since it’s just accessing the hard drive it’s instant. What’s really annoying is that sorta like the 1080i/720p fiasco, you have to manually go and change your system settings to 480p or else the PS3 will stretch any PS1/PS2 game >_< Definitely an extra hassle and annoying (firmware fix please).

-I tried hooking my PS2 -> PC USB adapter in and it didn’t work. Need to research more about this. But I think I’ll be having to buy the PS3 Hori VF5 sticks and not use my PS2 ones :\
-I wonder if the Logitech GT Wheel works with RR7? They said it would work on PS3 with GT:HD, GT5, etc.. I’ll test this later.

-The Playstation store is really nice. Great layout, and some good stuff there already. I look foward to seeing this grow (and checking out the US store on Friday!)

-Internet browser is ok. It’s faster than say the PSP or DC one, but it’s nowhere near as instant as just using my PC and since I can already browse through my HTPC....it has little effect on me.

-Audio player is meh. Visualization is really bland and they make you agree to copyright infringement policies or something before you can play a cd that you stick in. OTOH it gets all the track names and stuff from the internet like some PC players. But as said earlier, you can’t back out and surf the web or chat with friends or change settings or do ANYTHING while listening to music atm. It’s just like the PSP. :\

-The SIXAXIS is AWESOME. I would have called it GODLY if it wasn’t for the lack of rumble. At first it feels light, but after about 30 mins it feels better than the DS2. The weight is really great. Motion sensing is unproven so far. Blast Factor was fun since it was simple with just left/right movements, but in all the launch games the motion sensing was so bad it rendered games unplayable when turned on in the place of standard controls. Luckily NO GAME REQUIRES MOTION...so far. Everything is optional and I hope it stays that way for the entire life of the PS3. No rumble is weird. When playing PS3 coming from PS2 you don’t really notice it since a lot of PS2 games hardly used it (rpgs...pretty much never). But if you’re switching daily between X360 and PS3 YOU WILL NOTICE because X360 games use it like CRAZY. I really hope they give up and just add the rumble back in and call it a Dual Shock 3 next year. If they do that it’d be my favorite controller ever (though the analogues still suck for FPS games [deadzone is terrible for precise aiming]. Luckily I will play those mainly on X360 and PC!). Oh and the L2/R2 triggers are waaaay too sensitive. Even if you don’t press down on them, if you just have your finger slight over them it’ll register. Like in Resistance you will be walking and suddenly the screen will pause and bring up your weapon select and you’ll go WTF!?! and then realize you were keeping a finger slightly on the R2 button. Also, no idea how good the L2/R2 works as ANALOGUE TRIGGERS since ummm...NO LAUNCH GAME USES THEM lol ^^; I guess we won’t know until GT:HD how they work for driving games and such (though you’ll probably use wheels for those anyways).

-Powering on and off the system by hovering your finger over the button is cooool :) The system does take a bit of time to turn off though (5-6 secs?). Being able to turn the system on/off with the controller like the X360 is good.

I think that’s about it for the hardware side for now...

Dahbomb

I agree about the SIXAXIS controller (and generally everything you said about the PS3 that I saw for myself). I think its great, definite upgrade over the DS2 sans the rumble. Analogs smaller and more precise + sensitive, Triggers feel great and face buttons are softer. I don't understand the hate behind it, aside of course from lacking rumble and being a DS2 clone. If you liked the DS2 then you should love this.

Bebpo-The Playstation store is really nice. Great layout, and some good stuff there already. I look foward to seeing this grow (and checking out the US store on Friday!)

Are you going to be able to access the U.S. PS Store with a Japanese PS3?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bebpo said:
(can’t leave audio player and have song keep playing while you do other stuff in XMB)

I thought you could do this, but how you do it was a little non-obvious IIRC. You press the playstation button again, and the music stuff fades into the background letting you go do other stuff (I think)? Apparently the music will only stop if you do something that would conflict with it (e.g. try to play video).

I'm sure I read that somewhere..

MrOctober

Banned
Realistically if i can't wait all night for a PS3 because i, you know, have a job what are the chances of getting a system by Christmas? Slim and none? Anybody else just going to try and get one casually?

mckmas8808

TwIsTeD said:
yea i was tempted to take some pics but i dont want to incriminate those filthy ebay sellers lol...but seriously i have camped out for playstation 2 and nothing like this happened its the people who wanna sell it on ebay that are making this alot harder then it should have been.
just glad im getting mine,mckmas you still getting yours?

Yep! I was the third person in line. Getting the 60GB verison.

Bebpo

Banned
whatdidyousay said:
Are you going to be able to access the U.S. PS Store with a Japanese PS3?

As long as I make a new account with USA as my country...I am assuming the US store will come up. No way to be sure yet...but considering all the people with US units are currently stuck with Japanese accounts browsing the Japan store...it seems likely.

Now the #1 biggest question will be if you can use your CC registered with your US account and purchase stuff from the Japanese store. I'm thinking the answer will be no. I think the way it'll work is that if you sign into your US account going to the "store" icon will always bring up the US store and you can buy stuff there. But then signing into your Japanese account (think like having 2 profiles on X360) will bring up the Japanese store but you need a JPN credit card.

BUT! The saviour in this situation are these Playstation cards (like the Wii cards). As long as importers like P-A and NCSX import 5000yen ($50) cards, then you can just buy those and use them with your Japanese account if you want to purchase things on the Japan store.

Now this is all speculation based on what's available atm, but I really think this is how things will play out.

Flo_Evans

J-Rzez said:
Um, why not just buy a great launch game... Resistance?

cause every indication points to that it is just an 'ok' game. (and I prefer FPS on a PC mostly for mouse/KB but also for the mod community and the abilty to run my own server) Does resistance support mouse/kb?

fake edit:

nice impressions bebpo, can't wait till I get mine!

Bebpo

Banned
gofreak said:
I thought you could do this, but how you do it was a little non-obvious IIRC. You press the playstation button again, and the music stuff fades into the background letting you go do other stuff (I think)? Apparently the music will only stop if you do something that would conflict with it (e.g. try to play video).

Hmmm...ok will try that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FWIW, I think Jim mentioned that he can set up a Japanese online account with his US retail PS3, so hopefully that'll go both ways when the US network is live..(of course, you do need a credit card from the account's region, so if you don't have a japanese cc you can't buy things on the japanese store - without a playstation card, at least).

mckmas8808

gofreak said:

Yeah Bebpo try this out. I think gofreak is right.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anyone who has a system...

Have you tried playing a PS3 game on your system...and then taking the game over to a friends house?

Bebpo said:
-Sound quality in general is extremely good. Until now, many games have had to compress sound effects, voices, and music into LQ or MQ samples to conserve disc space; but with all the space available on blu-ray you’re hearing extremely HQ sound. Hell, Gundam has VERY good music and the voice clips are as good as you’d get while watching a DVD. Very nice.

This is awesome. I'm replaying RE4 on my ps2 since i don't have a gc anymore and the sound quality kinda bugs me.

Bebpo

Banned
RaijinFY said:
Bebpo, did you notice faster load times for your PS2 games?

Not really. Not anything noticable, though like Lyte Edge said, probably some games like fighting games that load each character before the match would see speed increases.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
come on you bastard! I hope it arrives at work tomorrow as I'm off on Friday and don't want to drive into the office just to pick it up (I would if needed of course)

I always get screwed with customs charges, so guess I was lucky this time. Although its odd how it took 32 hours to get from Tokyo to the UK. I can only assume it stops off in Europe somewhere but didn't get tagged?

15-11-2006 22:47 International Hub En route to delivery depot
15-11-2006 22:17 International Hub RELEASED WITHOUT CHARGES
15-11-2006 22:09 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING
15-11-2006 22:09 International Hub AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGES
15-11-2006 21:57 International Hub Arrived in destination country
14-11-2006 23:07 TOKYO INT Left origin country

Bebpo said:
-PS2 BC is alright. It’s basically a PS2. Maybe the loading is slightly better, but probably the biggest speed upgrade is with any game that took forever to access the memory cards. Now since it’s just accessing the hard drive it’s instant. What’s really annoying is that sorta like the 1080i/720p fiasco, you have to manually go and change your system settings to 480p or else the PS3 will stretch any PS1/PS2 game >_< Definitely an extra hassle and annoying (firmware fix please).
****in' stupid I hope they fix it.

Flo_Evans

audio q:

what are the games outputing in if not in 7.1 uncompressed mode? does the PS3 convert everything to dolby digital? is there any DTS support? Also if you could answer that for blu-ray it would be nice too^^

is this a universal setting on the XMB or is it per game?

edit: what about DTS and dolby digital EX (7.1 compressed) ?

g23

European pre-madonna
What sucks about the PS3 is that you need an HDTV to essentially get the whole package, cuz if you don't everything will look like crap.

Will PS3's be stackable on 360's?

Bebpo

Banned
Flo_Evans said:
audio q:

what are the games outputing in if not in 7.1 uncompressed mode? does the PS3 convert everything to dolby digital? is there any DTS support? Also if you could answer that for blu-ray it would be nice too^^

is this a universal setting on the XMB or is it per game?

edit: what about DTS and dolby digital EX (7.1 compressed) ?

-Genji II is 7.1 according to the box. (I only use 5.1 so I can't exactly test...)
-When you select what audio you can handle under settings it lists DD, DTS, PCM, and a few other things so I'm pretty sure it handles DTS.

TwIsTeD

just got back from ebgames and target to get my "software"

-oh and wtf is up with resistance saying it needs at least 120mb of harddrive space, i`ll have enough but rr7 is under a meg of required space ?????

-to add to the chaos it seems that the ebgames and gamestops near the midnight CC launchs will also have a midnight launch for the console as well, ymmv depending on location but i`ll be ps3 playing friday at 12:15 am........taking friday and sunday off from work for next gen gaming FTW!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TwIsTeD said:
-to add to the chaos it seems that the ebgames and gamestops near the midnight CC launchs will also have a midnight launch for the console as well, ymmv depending on location but i`ll be ps3 playing friday at 12:15 am........taking friday and sunday off from work for next gen gaming FTW!
man thats bullshit. my ebgames is right across the street from CC (doing a midnight launch) while my ebgames is opening on friday the next morning. gahhh....

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
swung by eb at lunch, re-re-re-confirmed that i'll be getting my ps3 friday, traded in a huge stack of crap (how did pd zero remain in my possession for this long), and picked up rr7, resistance, and PS3 KILLER APP GENJI 2 BELIEVE

i've been replaying genji 1 in preparation, and it's a good ****ing game! it's like five hours long, but the mechanics are strong and it's really pretty -- crab jokes and crab jokes alone prevent us from taking the sequel seriously.

i still think eb's going to screw me somehow, so i'm not opening any of the games yet. nice cases. i guess.

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
swung by eb at lunch, re-re-re-confirmed that i'll be getting my ps3 friday, traded in a huge stack of crap (how did pd zero remain in my possession for this long), and picked up rr7, resistance, and PS3 KILLER APP GENJI 2 BELIEVE

i've been replaying genji 1 in preparation, and it's a good ****ing game! it's like five hours long, but the mechanics are strong and it's really pretty -- crab jokes and crab jokes alone prevent us from taking the sequel seriously.

i still think eb's going to screw me somehow, so i'm not opening any of the games yet. nice cases. i guess.

All the mechanics are gone.... :(

Bebpo

Banned
drohne said:
...really? no more kamui? no more inflated combo counts? :(

It plays like a completely different developer made it.

My main issues with the original Genji was just that it was 3 hours long x 2. I thought the gameplay was very solid for an Onimusha clone, the boss fights exciting, and the graphics were great.

But Genji 2 plays like shit. In fact it's probably the worst sword-action game I've ever played. It feels like a simple 2000 game at best. The graphics are perfectly fine, as is the music and stuff (well no camera control and awful angles hurt a lot), but the gameplay is like PS1 launch title material.

I don't even understand what happened. I mean if the PS3 launch titles were just PS2 games like Genji/Gundam but with somewhat next-gen graphics I would've been fine with that, because most PS2 games these days play fairly well. But somehow even though the graphics took a step forward, the gameplay in these games took a generational step backwards to the stone age.

It really is that bad.

Though it might be worth owning for MST3K value as me and a friend couldn't stop laughing the entire time we were playing it because it was just so ridiculously bad. (though Gundam is worse and was even funnier in a "damn I just wasted $60" way. My friend just had to play it after I showed it to him so he could tell people for years that he played THE WORST GAME OF ALL TIME :p).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
omgwtf. why were the reviews harping on "it isn't next-gen enough" instead of saying that? maybe i'll just return it.

You know what would have been a killer app? ****ing PS3 Bushido Blade. Real-time CUTS FTW.

...sorry, this talk of Genji and bad scaling is upsetting me. And start testing out Linux, you bastards!

Twix

you can’t back out and surf the web or chat with friends or change settings or do ANYTHING while listening to music atm. It’s just like the PSP.

this sucks..it’s not very hard to support such a feature :/

TwIsTeD

Twix said:
this sucks..it’s not very hard to support such a feature :/

we know damn well sony is holding off until they can avoid piracy, I mean hell if this is another psp 1.5fw situation then sony is straight ****ed

Weel the BEstBuy just down the road from my GS is still swatting away people like flies. But apartantly at 9 when the store closes, its on for a 36hour campout. I just FINALLY got friday confirmed as a day off. and GS called me today to reconfirm i'm first in line : ) I'm sleeping in and walking in at 9am. I really hope noone does and stupid shit in the poarking lot, I'll be the first one out and since its early I can't get anyone to come with me :/

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:
Not really. Not anything noticable, though like Lyte Edge said, probably some games like fighting games that load each character before the match would see speed increases.

Very few of the games I've tested had any real noticeable load time differences. Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum has been the only game with a HUGE difference in load times, with them being cut a little more than HALF. Soul Calibur III is next after that, but that's pretty much it. I have a lot of U.S. games I am unable to try, like Resident Evil 4 and MGS3s.

I just like that the PS3 is running all the PS2 games in 480p. :D I wonder if it runs PS1 games like that too...didn't notice, but the texture smoothing is gone so I'll keep playing them on the PS2 instead.

Dahbomb

Lyte Edge said:
I just like that the PS3 is running all the PS2 games in 480p. :D I wonder if it runs PS1 games like that too...didn't notice, but the texture smoothing is gone so I'll keep playing them on the PS2 instead.
Good to hear. :)

480p on all PS2 games?

Nice.

You know, really with the EE/GS being built in they should just use the RSX to like supercharge that puppy with like 8/16X anti-aliasing or something!

so BEBPO - I know the HD swap is easy, but is there anything you have to do in the OS. The HD comes preloaded with stuff rihgt? I think i heard you get 16 gig of the full 20. So what about that 4 gig? do you need it? I have a 100 gig 2.5 sata ready to go and I want to put it in asap when i get the system.

Just to note: i find is amazing that people say ejecting the disc doesnt drop you to the OS. I'm really interested to try to swap magic disc on it. If I can some how get my copy of Berserk to run, ill be damned happy

Bebpo

Banned
The 4 gig is cache/aka install for games that don't give you the install option and instead force it.

Basically that part is like the X360 HDD. For instance Tony Hawk 8 takes like 4 mins to stealth install the game to that cache portion (though the load times still suck in the game....).

Pimpwerx

HomerSimpson-Man said:
480p on all PS2 games?

Nice.

You know, really with the EE/GS being built in they should just use the RSX to like supercharge that puppy with like 8/16X anti-aliasing or something!
Can't AA pixels that aren't there. The only way is with jittered supersampling, which doesn't produce very good results. PEACE.

Top Bottom