• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
I think that guy who predicted that someone would die this Friday might be right :lol

So Gamestop, one of the so-called Five Top retailers gets .... 8 consoles here. Some launch.

I would suggest that preorder slips should remind you to bring "protection" on Friday. :lol

Cloudy

Banned
JB1981 said:
I think that guy who predicted that someone would die this Friday might be right :lol

So Gamestop, one of the so-called Five Top retailers gets .... 8 consoles here. Some launch.

My EB is only geting 6 now. It was 8 before...

shedt

Vincey37 said:
The issue is not downscaling and interlacing from 1080p to 1080i, we know it can do that. The issue is upscaling from 720p to 1080i, which is seems incapable of, and is important for games which render in 720p.

For those speculating the problem is caused by HDMI, I can confirm Resistance will not run in 1080i over HDMI or component.

what launch games are 1080p? will these games downscale and interlace?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
seinfeld-779714.jpg

See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don't know how to hold the reservation and that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

JB1981 said:

Vegas odds have the over/under at 3 PS3 related deaths this friday...

Jim

Wario64 said:
New firmware update? Or do you mean the update is already on the console?

If new, what features?

It's the 1.10 update... the same that all launch titles require (IGN ran down the features/fixes). Without that, you can't even sign up for an account. I just did the typical System Update as it prompted.

But yeah, this is an official US Retail PS3, yet right now the network only allows you to select County: Japan, Language: Japanese when registering.
And yes, my system/location/time & date settings are correct :)

No press docs have stated it, but I'm pretty sure they don't want anyone poking around on the US network until Friday.

Can anyone else confirm?

Oh, and:
4.jpg

Clouseau

Jim said:
But yeah, this is an official US Retail PS3, yet right now the network only allows you to select County: Japan, Language: Japanese when registering.

Interesting that it is acting just like the Japan units. I wonder if there are even any internal differences between them besides the cardboard box.

Jim said:
It's the 1.10 update... the same that all launch titles require (IGN ran down the features/fixes). Without that, you can't even sign up for an account. I just did the typical System Update as it prompted.

And yes, my system/location/time & date settings are correct :)

No press docs have stated it, but I'm pretty sure they don't want anyone poking around on the US network until Friday.

Can anyone else confirm?

Oh, and:
4.jpg
I want to know how Talladega Nights looks. :)

Jim

q*bert said:
Interesting that it is acting just like the Japan units. I wonder if there are even any internal differences between them besides the cardboard box.

Well besides the power supply, doubtfully anything. Especially since the XMB has a setting for pretty much every language imaginable.

ferrarimanf355 said:
I want to know how Talladega Nights looks. :)

Great! It's just strictly the movie, and not the Uncut version with all the extras due out next month, but the movie transfer looks excellent. No idea if it's double layer though, seems doubful since it's so stripped down.

JB1981

Oh shit! I'm getting a PS3 after all! The manager here just called me ... said he saw guys on his reserve list camping at BB, which confirmed to him that they're just reselling their systems. They're now off his list and he bumped me up.

Jim said:
Great! It's just strictly the movie, and not the Uncut version with all the extras due out next month, but the movie transfer looks excellent. No idea if it's double layer though, seems doubful since it's so stripped down.
Damn, why bother with it, then? Might as well wait for the retail version. Still, at least Sony nailed the transfer... :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Dante said:
How are EB's only getting 8 units and a random CC in Rockville MD getting 100?
EB/GameStop might be video game specialty stores, but as far as retail presence goes, they're just not big players in the industry. Huge names like Walmart, Best Buy, etc simply have more pull to get larger allocations from Sony.

JB1981 said:
Oh shit! I'm getting a PS3 after all! The manager here just called me ... said he saw guys on his reserve list camping at BB, which confirmed to him that they're just reselling their systems. They're now off his list and he bumped me up.
That's crazy, but pretty awesome - good to hear that some EB/GS managers actually care about their honest customers.

Bebpo

Banned
JB1981 said:

Lol, wtf.

While I'm against resellers, how does he know for sure they weren't going to keep the EB order and they're not in line to keep friends company or what not. Seems really iffy.

Still, good news for you.

JB1981

Bebpo said:
Lol, wtf.

While I'm against resellers, how does he know for sure they weren't going to keep the EB order and they're not in line to keep friends company or what not. Seems really iffy.

Still, good news for you.
:lol

I don't know either, but he doesn't care. He even said to me, I honestly don't care if you sell your system, you're a better customer than those guys anyway.

I guess I'll pick up Resistance. I was JUST abotu to send Marvel: UA back to Gamefly but it looks like I'm keeping it. Shit! Netflix is already shipping X-Men 3 and MI3 on DVD ... I want the blu-ray versions now! Damn .. guess I'll just wait for Superman.

saw 12 guys camping outside the circuit city near the FAU (glades road just east of 95)

half the people were under a big green tent eating pizza

Jim

ferrarimanf355 said:
Damn, why bother with it, then? Might as well wait for the retail version. Still, at least Sony nailed the transfer... :D

Uhhh.. it's the free pack-in :) As for the transfer, I have nothing in particular to compare it to, so I'd wait for http://www.highdefdigest.com or something to really pick through it.

cleveridea said:
saw 12 guys camping outside the circuit city near the FAU (glades road just east of 95)

half the people were under a big green tent eating pizza
Wait, you're going to FAU? That's where I am at this very moment! I'd love to check out the nerds and mock them, but I have a paper to write and a Powerpoint project to work on, so maybe tomorrow...

Flo_Evans

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHH!

just got the call! Both me and my buddy are getting our PS3s!!!

w00t

now what crappy launch games to buy :(

Flo_Evans said:

w00t

Well, it sounds like everyone's getting Resistance, so... I'd hit it. :)

Geoff9920

Flo_Evans said:

w00t

Congrats. Personally I think resistance would be the obvious choice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dante said:
How are EB's only getting 8 units and a random CC in Rockville MD getting 100?
Like Best Buy, Circuit City picked several of their locations specifically to host midnight launches. Those are the locations getting a 100 or so PS3s...no other CC location is getting nearly as many.

Flo_Evans

I don't want to bring out the fanbois, but resistance looks really MEH to me after putting so much time into gears. Maybe the 40 player multi will be awsome though.

Have any major sites done reviews of the lineup yet? I want to read some stuff and look at some movies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Flo_Evans said:
I don't want to bring out the fanbois, but resistance looks really MEH to me after putting so much time into gears. Maybe the 40 player multi will be awsome though.

thats why if I get my PS3 and Gears this weekend, I'm playing the PS3 to get it out of my system first, then Gears afterwards.

Jim

mrklaw said:
thats why if I get my PS3 and Gears this weekend, I'm playing the PS3 to get it out of my system first, then Gears afterwards.

They feel pretty different, from a gameplay and scale standpoint, but definitely play Resistance first... after you get the whole stop and pop style gameplay stuck in your head, it feels really weird to play a regular style FPS. I instinctively tried to take cover like that in Resistance already, hah.

Also, yeah, got confirmation from SCEA that the US PSN won't be live until at the very earliest, midnight of the 16th.

arne

so... as far as EB/GS pre-orders, people are getting a call for both scenarios? i.e. telling them they have a system or that they won't?

Flo_Evans said:

w00t

None. Downloadable Resistance and Motorstorm demos on day one :D

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
What will I need to open a PS3 guys? I know it's a torx screwdriver, but I'm looking at them online and the local store has a set of "TX 05, TX06 &TX07", is this fine?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Geezer said:
What will I need to open a PS3 guys? I know it's a torx screwdriver, but I'm looking at them online and the local store has a set of "TX 05, TX06 &TX07", is this fine?

Why?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
To double check it's marked at 240V before hooking up UK mains. I just want to be doubly sure.

JB1981

Now that I'm guaranteed a PS3, I'm not sure I want it. I'll basically have to pay $700 to play Resistance. But I do want Motorstorm and I do want Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, etc ... hmmm.. I guess I'll just bite the bullet now and get it over with ... I don't see the price dropping BEFORE any of these games come out.

Jim said:
They feel pretty different, from a gameplay and scale standpoint, but definitely play Resistance first... after you get the whole stop and pop style gameplay stuck in your head, it feels really weird to play a regular style FPS. I instinctively tried to take cover like that in Resistance already, hah.

Also, yeah, got confirmation from SCEA that the US PSN won't be live until at the very earliest, midnight of the 16th.

Hey Jim, do you know if Japanese PS3 owners in the U.S. will be able to use the U.S. PS Store?

JB1981 said:
Now that I'm guaranteed a PS3, I'm not sure I want it. I'll basically have to pay $700 to play Resistance. But I do want Motorstorm and I do want Heavenly Sword and Warhawk, etc ... hmmm.. I guess I'll just bite the bullet now and get it over with ... I don't see the price dropping BEFORE any of these games come out.

I have one guaranteed... and I don't mind the price. It's walking away from the potential profit that I'm having a hard time with.

In a sick way, I'm hoping ebay prices plummet (unlikely, I think) just so I can stop thinking about it and open my box on Friday.

Dante

JB1981 said:

I'll buy it from you for a reasonable price :D

TwIsTeD

well it was confirmed for me today that i will be getting a 20gb PS3 :lol , no one else on the list of 16 wanted it and I was definitely not in the 1st or 2nd shipment (numbers depending) so I figured this would be the best solution aside from camping. My great gf decided she wanted a 20gb so shes gonna give me the 500 for it at some point next year so i can buy my 60gb when more units are available.

also I work in Richmond,VA and the CC that has the 100 units at midnight had campers early this morning so that effectively eliminates even attempting to score one over there

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Mine was delivered. :D

My brother accepted the package so his little mits get to open the system first. :lol

Glad you got yours!

But no Biohazard DC yet so I dunno what you're gonna play :(

Cloudy

Banned

LOL, that manager is full of crap. The extra consoles were probably pre-ordered by employees and they're just using them to cover pre-orders they already took cos of the shortage...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JB1981 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

That's just ****ing classic. I hope the bastards don't get that system either. Scalping ****ers. I'm glad to see you are getting one JB. Did you keep that game that arrived to you early?

JB1981

mckmas8808 said:

That's just ****ing classic. I hope the bastards don't get that system either. Scalping ****ers. I'm glad to see you are getting one JB. Did you keep that game that arrived to you early?

I did indeed! I wish I wouldn't have taken MI3 and X-Men 3 Blu-Ray off my Netflix que, though! I replaced them with the DVD versions and they've already shipped. :(

ManaByte

Gold Member
mckmas8808 said:

Hopefully there will be a driveby at that BB and those ****ers will get what they deserve.

Top Bottom