• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

Pallaris

So is this confirmation that RR7 only spits out a 1080p signal? (with people's TV sets doing the downscaling etc). What about when the PS3 is hooked up with an analogue connection like component?

ChrisAllenFiz said:
Now it makes sense why MS is coy about HDMI!

If they added it for games they would have no scaling over it too.

Yeah, but the PS3 should be able to scale over component... this better be fixed and fast.

Zaptruder

Banned
Early adopters lose yet again!

Alright GAF, you know what to do. Spread FUD (albeit true in this case) about it until Sony responds by fixing the damn thing in time for Euro launch! ;o

Danj

Zaptruder said:
Early adopters lose yet again!

Alright GAF, you know what to do. Spread FUD (albeit true in this case) about it until Sony responds by fixing the damn thing in time for Euro launch! ;o

The irony, of course, is that by and large this does not affect European gamers at all, since the HD Ready standard mandates that European HDTVs must accept both 720p and 1080i (section 4 of Annex A of this document confirm that for the skeptical).

Bebpo

Banned
Because of the whole 1080i fiasco, you notice that only the games that specifically list 1080i on the back of the box scale them internally in the game.

But what's interesting about this is that RR7 does 1080i (scaled down from 1080p I would presume) and it looks like a jagged mess. Change to 720p and 90% of the jaggies disappear and the game looks just fine....hmm....

Also as someone said earlier. Unlike Resistance, Japanese games don't even warn you if they can't do 1080i. A person with the system settings at 1080i playing on their HDTV would just see a horrible looking Genji 2 at 480p without knowing why it looks so bad...

Pallaris

Bebpo, so you're saying that RR7 can output natively in both 720p/1080p and also allows for scaling to 1080i. (and I take it these resolutions must be set at the XMB and not changeable in game)

Have you noticed slowdown in RR7 running in 720p? (some users here have reported slowdown which would be horrible and would ruin the game for me)

Bebpo

Banned
Pallaris said:
Bebpo, so you're saying that RR7 can output natively in both 720p/1080p and also allows for scaling to 1080i. (and I take it these resolutions must be set at the XMB and not changeable in game)

Have you noticed slowdown in RR7 running in 720p? (some users here have reported slowdown which would be horrible and would ruin the game for me)

I didn't play all that much RR7. But I think I may have noticed 1 second of slowdown when I passed a car once during the few races I played at both resolutions. It doesn't seem noticable IMO.

And yeah, RR7 basically scales everything within the game. It does 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p. Gundam does 480p/720p, Genji2 does 480p/720pm Resistance does 480p/720p, Tony Hawk does 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p (not 100% sure on Tony Hawk. But I think the first time I played it was on 1080i...will check tomorrow).

bud

Bad_Boy said:
how does RR7 look on a native 1080p set @ 1080p compared to the game being set at 720p?

****ing amazing. Someone took a pic of it running at TGS on a 1080p bravia tv and it looked ****ing amazing, no jaggies at all.

i can't find that pic anymore though, maybe you know what i'm talking about?

That's why i'm quite surprised to see all these impression saying the game doesn't look that good.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bud said:
****ing amazing. Someone took a pic of it running at TGS on a 1080p bravia tv and it looked ****ing amazing, no jaggies at all.

i can't find that pic anymore though, maybe you know what i'm talking about?

That's why i'm quite surprised to see all these impression saying the game doesn't look that good.
sounds good. my future 1080p tv will be happy to hear that.
I think I know what picture you're talking about, was it DCharlie's picture with the car in the air?

bud

Bad_Boy said:
sounds good. my future 1080p tv will be happy to hear that.
I think I know what picture you're talking about, was it DCharlie's picture with the car in the air?

yes with one of the cars in the air.

can you post the pic?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bud said:
yes with one of the cars in the air.

can you post the pic?
ill have to look around for it, it's not on my computer at the moment. but I know the picture you are talking about, it did look nice. :)

edit:
here we are..
DCharlie said:
found some more bad shots lurking on my camera...

256288787_0d91acb5e9_b.jpg

256290335_a15228cc6b_b.jpg

256293062_e1a7add519_b.jpg

256270423_df3e8aa736_b.jpg
:D

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bud said:
the last one looks really awesome.
indeed. :)

Kinda OT but those bravias look amazing as well, me and my dad were checking out that tv at circuit city last night (they only had the 46" version I think), man its like perfect quality. If I ever win the lotto I'm buying a couple of those. :lol

Bebpo

Banned
While I'm not going to comment on most of the software because I haven't given the games enough time to prove themselves, I'll just say that Gundam PS3 is going to be in the running for worst game of all time and assuredly has the worst game of the year award in the bag.

Until now I had thought Bec's Eureka Seven TR1 game on PS2 was one of the worst games I've ever played. But somehow Bec managed to outdo themselves! And make a game that's far worse than even that. Bec is like the Uwe Bolle of game development...except they aren't funny to laugh at :(

Buyers be warned ;_;

Bad_Boy said:
indeed. :)

Kinda OT but those bravias look amazing as well, me and my dad were checking out that tv at circuit city last night (they only had the 46" version I think), man its like perfect quality. If I ever win the lotto I'm buying a couple of those. :lol

If I win the lottery I`m going to get me one of those 100 inch LCDs. And a room to put it in!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Bebpo said:
While I'm not going to comment on most of the software because I haven't given the games enough time to prove themselves, I'll just say that Gundam PS3 is going to be in the running for worst game of all time and assuredly has the worst game of the year award in the bag.

Until now I had thought Bec's Eureka Seven TR1 game on PS2 was one of the worst games I've ever played. But somehow Bec managed to outdo themselves! And make a game that's far worse than even that. Bec is like the Uwe Bolle of game development...except they aren't funny to laugh at :(

Buyers be warned ;_;
I dont think anybody was going to buy it, atleast here in the NA. :X
ChrisAllenFiz said:
If I win the lottery I`m going to get me one of those 100 inch LCDs. And a room to put it in!
true I didnt think about that lol, arent those things like 30k or something.

Bebpo said:

Buyers be warned ;_;

how does it compare to gears..is the jumping in the game better than the ducking and covering in gears...these games are both 3rd person so are even more comparable than gears and resistance...is the worst game better than the best game

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
nelsonroyale said:
how does it compare to gears..is the jumping in the game better than the ducking and covering in gears...these games are both 3rd person so are even more comparable than gears and resistance...is the worst game better than the best game
a mech game being compared to gears? huh?

I thought I would compare it to gears, since that has turned into the benchmark for all games on all genres

and of course the game is awesome

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
nelsonroyale said:
I thought I would compare it to gears, since that has turned into the benchmark for all games on all genres

and of course the game is awesome
yup, but we need more ridge racer vs gears next time.

Bad_Boy said:
yup, but we need more ridge racer vs gears next time.

yeah, I was originally going to recommend gears over ridge racer because of the former being more non-linear, while the latter just offers you the opportunity to go forwards or backwards around a linear track

peace

Well, Taiwan hates electronic stuff, so it sorta makes sense. God, you'd be angry at Sony but its precisely what they do every launch. The abusive husband of the games industry.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Bebpo said:

Buyers be warned ;_;
Why the hell did you buy it? I've been preaching that since i played it at E3. Shit, everyone has had since May to at least read up on news to avoid it like the plague. Yes I do believe that games can get better from a horrible showing at E3 but this is Bandai we're talking about.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wolves Evolve said:
Well, Taiwan hates electronic stuff, so it sorta makes sense. God, you'd be angry at Sony but its precisely what they do every launch. The abusive husband of the games industry.

If life were Grey's Anatomy, they'd be the McSteamy.

Zaptruder

Banned
Bebpo said:

Buyers be warned ;_;

Really? Dammit. I want to play this game... why is it so bad? How does it compare to previous Gundam games? Like One Year War?

Wanna sell me your copy?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wolves Evolve said:
I'm not mad at Sony, but I can understand why others might be. I'm getting my ps3 & ps3 games in 2 days, I'm far from mad right now. :)

Bad_Boy said:
I'm getting my ps3 & ps3 games in 2 days, I'm far from mad right now. :)

Early in the year, I got a big bonus and saved it to get a PS3 and some games. I had planned to wait for the Wii when some games appeared in 07. Oh look I live in Australia, and they couldn't spare a few blue lasers for us! No surprise, seriously not at all. Its happened with absolutely every launch they do. Its technically anti-competitive practice so I just hope for Sony's sake that they aren't doing it on purpose (when they plainly did with the PS2) to create demand. It doesn't seem like so this time. Hey.. maybe -that's- why they delay the EU launch, they know full well that the EU courts wouldn't stand for it.... (tin foil hat time)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaptruder said:
If life were Grey's Anatomy, they'd be the McSteamy.

OMG What have you done!? I'm preparing my expletives as we speak...... I've only watched up to about episode 6 of season 2 in the UK

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Interesting change of heart on the controller...
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home...n-3-sixaxis-controller-impressions-214212.php
After two days of playing with the SIXAXIS, have we reversed our previous thoughts of how good it is? Yes, I think we have.

Previously, we thought the trigger buttons were too slippery and the controller too light. Now that we've gotten a lot more play-time with it, the SIXAXIS feels just like a DUALSHOCK. The R2 and L2 shoulder buttons are pretty squishy (that's good), and as long as you press it down in the middle of the pad, there's fairly little chance of slippage. The weight issue is negligible, and the lack of rumble was hardly missed. Since rumble was never a uniform thing throughout games, not having it doesn't really affect gameplay at all.

In the two games we tried, Genji and Resistance, the controls were tight and we didn't have any problems. – Jason Chen

Wolves Evolve said:
Early in the year, I got a big bonus and saved it to get a PS3 and some games. I had planned to wait for the Wii when some games appeared in 07. Oh look I live in Australia, and they couldn't spare a few blue lasers for us! No surprise, seriously not at all. Its happened with absolutely every launch they do. Its technically anti-competitive practice so I just hope for Sony's sake that they aren't doing it on purpose (when they plainly did with the PS2) to create demand. It doesn't seem like so this time. Hey.. maybe -that's- why they delay the EU launch, they know full well that the EU courts wouldn't stand for it.... (tin foil hat time)
Yeah I understand that, it happens a lot. I'm just saying I dont really blame the people who are getting the stick and getting angry about it. I mean just the other day I was on the edge of not getting my ps3 because of a decreased shipment, I'll tell you right now that would of pissed me off. But I agree with ya, by summer 07 we will all have a good laugh about it I think.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
kaching said:
But not Insomniac's software, if that's what you're driving at. JS only speaks for Insomniac.

Maybe I misunderstood, but when he mentioned software, I wasn't thinking game-related, but hardware related (firmware).

I just want to know if there's a work around for this issue.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DaCocoBrova said:
Maybe I misunderstood, but when he mentioned software, I wasn't thinking game-related, but hardware related (firmware).
jstevenson works for Insomniac so he only speaks for them - when he says it's not a software problem, he strictly means that the Resistance software didn't introduce the problem. It may still be a software problem on Sony's side though (PS3 firmware) but obviously we won't be know one way or another until somebody from Sony speaks up.

There is not an 'analog scaler ' in the 360. The scaler performs all resizing in the digital domain and on the back end there is a DAC that converts it to component and VGA. The only way HDMI can be to 'blame' here is that any scaler would need some extra memory and horsepower to handle the larger color depth that HDMI 1.3 provides.

Again, your HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players, your cable and satellite settop box, and your Xbox 360 are all capable of converting to 1080i. Only the PS3 is falling short in that respect. This is a shortcoming and poor design.

Frankly, even among sets that do scale, lots of them don't do a very good job of it and a decent internal scaler would be better. Plus, many users will have to deal with irritating re-syncs and the need to tweak resolution per game to get optimal results.

Remember the Sony press release about how MS wasn't giving all their buyers the choice to download movies and tv shows? I guess it's time for MS to do a release where they point out that Sony isn't supporting all hdtv owners.

The only decent solution is for Sony to make a TCR so that going forward all games support 1080i, and the developers will have to make sure that this is factored into the games' design from the beginning. Maybe Resistance 2....sigh.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i've seen dozens of references to 360's analog scaler over the course of the last year and change. i don't really know what an "analog scaler" is, but a lot of people seem to believe that the 360 has one.

it's really stupid that 720p ps3 games don't support 1080i -- my dad's mitsubishi projection set doesn't take 720p at all, and apparently that's not uncommon in older hdtvs. between this, the absence of a vga cable, and the hdcp requirement for dvi, you basically need a newish hdtv for ps3. which is ridiculous.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Again, your HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players, your cable and satellite settop box, and your Xbox 360 are all capable of converting to 1080i. Only the PS3 is falling short in that respect. This is a shortcoming and poor design.
As a Blu-Ray player and a general video playback device, it does seem to be capable of converting to 1080i. It only seems to be affecting games at this point, so we don't have the full story here.

Top Bottom