• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official US/JP PLAYSTATION 3 Launch Thread

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
People who are complaining about the SIXAXIS haven't spent enough time with it. The ONLY downside is the lack of rumble, the controller feels light and solid.

Is there a place where Sony people really listen to complaints? I've heard that consumer requests will be taken into account when updating firmware but where can we go with the requests?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
TekunoRobby said:
People who are complaining about the SIXAXIS haven't spent enough time with it. The ONLY downside is the lack of rumble, the controller feels light and solid.

I find the lack of weight to be a bit of a downside as well.

Jim

Just got the retail 60GB package... very sweet! Pics and impressions and all that later.

For those with a retail unit, the US PlayStation Network isn't yet live, right?
In other words, you can register a Japanese account ONLY at the moment, with no selectable option for any other region? The firmware has been updated BTW.

dalyr95

DaCocoBrova said:
What do you think?
I would imagine there are, but they aren't vocal about pushing their view on things like Stinkles and the guy with the MS/XBox Community tag (sorry, forget your name)

I know that there are second party devs such as Nostormo and JS but they are devs and I would imagine wouldn't know where KK/Phil want to push the PS3.

It'd be reassuring if someone from Sony, Major Nelson style could confirm and deny things

EDIT: Enjoy Jim, you lucky bastard

dalyr95

Do you actually work for them SC?? Because you do a sterling job if you don't old chap!!
180px-Brighterorange-funny.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
Just got the retail 60GB package... very sweet! Pics and impressions and all that later.

In other words, you can register a Japanese account ONLY at the moment, with no selectable option for any other region? The firmware has been updated BTW.

Do you actually get the option at the moment to select Japan as your region?

If you can, that bodes well for Japanese machines allowing a US account when the network becomes available there..

Well **** this shit, I just got off the phone with the Sony Store that is hosting the launch party in Manhattan with 400 invites, asked them if they will have enough units to supply the 400 people they will be letting in they say no it's not guaranteed. I asked how many they think they will get, and they are not able to tell me. There will be a ****ing riot, people will be going to the hospital.

Looks like Circuit City Union Square for me.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jim said:

New firmware update? Or do you mean the update is already on the console?

If new, what features?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MickeyKnox said:
Well **** this shit, I jsut got off the phone with the Sony Store that is hosting the launch party in Manhattan with 400 invites, asked them if they will have enough units to supply the 400 people they will be letting in they say no it's not guaranteed. I asked how many they think they will get, and they are not able to tell me. There will be a ****ing riot, people will be going to the hospital.

Ouch, they had better have enough for everyone or that could end on a very sour note for some people. How are they going to manage whatever stock is there? Ask you on the way in if you'll be buying and give you a ticket if you are, or..?

gofreak said:
Ouch, they had better have enough for everyone or that could end on a very sour note for some people. How are they going to manage whatever stock is there? Ask you on the way in if you'll be buying and give you a ticket if you are, or..?
I was planing on going there since I thought they would have the ****ing common sense to provide the limited amount of people they are allowing in via RSVP with a unit, but no they instead want people to sit and squirm in a room from 9pm to 12am after a day of camping and then only provide enough units for a portion of those people.

Yeah..... Let's try and guess what's going to happen when you have 400 pissed off people in one closed space trying to get a handfull of units. **** that noise, I'm not looking to get trampled unless I have a decent shot at getting a unit myself.

quaere

kaching said:
As a Blu-Ray player and a general video playback device, it does seem to be capable of converting to 1080i. It only seems to be affecting games at this point, so we don't have the full story here.
The issue is not downscaling and interlacing from 1080p to 1080i, we know it can do that. The issue is upscaling from 720p to 1080i, which is seems incapable of, and is important for games which render in 720p.

For those speculating the problem is caused by HDMI, I can confirm Resistance will not run in 1080i over HDMI or component.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Vincey37 said:
The issue is not downscaling and interlacing from 1080p to 1080i, we know it can do that. The issue is upscaling from 720p to 1080i, which is seems incapable of, and is important for games which render in 720p.
But you could have 720p video source material to upscale to 1080i. No one has reported that as a problem yet. Have you tried setting system to 1080i output and running a 720p video?

quaere

kaching said:
But you could have 720p video source material to upscale to 1080i. No one has reported that as a problem yet. Have you tried setting system to 1080i output and running a 720p video?
How am I gonna get a 720p video? Everything on the Playstation Store is 1080p. Can I burn something on a disc and play it? If so, someone link me to a good test video and I'll give it a try.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
All this scaling claptrap makes me just that much more happy that I went with the CRT HDTV that I did - the one that accepts both 720p and 1080i and has an outstanding picture in 720p mode.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Vincey37 said:
How am I gonna get a 720p video? Everything on the Playstation Store is 1080p. Can I burn something on a disc and play it? If so, someone link me to a good test video and I'll give it a try.
Well, it shouldn't necessarily have to be a 720p video - the question is whether anything less than 1080i can be upscaled to that res and displayed as such. So you should be able to find a number of sources on the web, which you can download and burn to a disc or put on a flash memory card or other USB storage device.

Not that I'm saying that you should have to do this yourself, but that we've seen at least a few reports of people running video with different native resolutions and I assume some of them might have their PS3 set to output 1080i, but we haven't heard this problem reported for this kind of content.

Smokey

Vincey37 said:

For those speculating the problem is caused by HDMI, I can confirm Resistance will not run in 1080i over HDMI or component.

That blows.

I appreciate your updates. There are people over on IGN saying we don't understand how scaling works and crap like that when there are people like you and the DEV of the game who said it won't work.

Is this the reason HDMI wasn't included in the 360 or was it something else?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vincey37 said:

I was speculating it was because of HDMI. Not because you're connected with it, just because HDMI might mean they need to create a full 1920x1080 frame buffer.

Or simply the PS3 requires a full frame buffer before it can send out a video signal.

So if the dev does a 720p game, thats the size of the frame buffer.

Isn't this like the original Xbox? You set what resolutions your TV could handle and the game picks the highest one it supports? In resistances case 720p is its personal highest res, and unfortunately for some that only matches with 480p on their TVs

Its nothing surprising in a console, its just that the 360 has now set the bar higher.

JB1981

Vincey37 said:

Just for clarification, Vincey.

So you're saying that if you set your PS3 to output at 1080i, BEFORE putting in a game like Resistance: FoM, you will get a warning from the Resistance FoM disc that the game is incompatible at that resolution and you must switch to either 720p or 480p? That does kinda suck if that's the case, but then again, the 360 doesn't scale very well to 1080i ... so maybe you're just better off letting your TV do it .. it very likely has the better scaler anyway.

Isn't this like the original Xbox? You set what resolutions your TV could handle and the game picks the highest one it supports? In resistances case 720p is its personal highest res, and unfortunately for some that only matches with 480p on their TVs

Its nothing surprising in a console, its just that the 360 has now set the bar higher.

Bingo. A Winner is you!

Xbox had a few games that could do 720p, and if your TV supported it, you got 720p.

Seems like the PS3 does the same thing, and leaves it up to the game to pick the highest *supported* resoultion.

However, if the PS3 *doesn't* have a scaler chip (which I find highly unlikely) then no software / firmware patch will fix this - it will be up to the game developers to issue patches.

That does kinda suck if that's the case, but then again, the 360 doesn't scale very well to 1080i ... so maybe you're just better off letting your TV do it .. it very likely has the better scaler anyway.

However, with the 360, the scaler will be scaling from the *rendered* res of 720p to 1080i, not 480p - it seems that in the case of Resistance, it's actually downscaling to 480p (or maybe even rendering at that res?) which I imagine would be significantly worse.

quaere

JB1981 said:
Just for clarification, Vincey.

So you're saying that if you set your PS3 to output at 1080i, BEFORE putting in a game like Resistance: FoM, you will get a warning from the Resistance FoM disc that the game is incompatible at that resolution and you must switch to either 720p or 480p? That does kinda suck if that's the case, but then again, the 360 doesn't scale very well to 1080i ... so maybe you're just better off letting your TV do it .. it very likely has the better scaler anyway.
Yes. Even though my TV supports 720p, Resistance automatically jumps down to 480p when run with the XMB at 1080i. Just to be safe, I guess. Making me have to do the manual resolution adjustment to 720p.

JB1981

How bout this: will games rendered internally at 1080p not scale down to 720p? That would blow terribly, as I play games only at 720p.

Yes. Even though my TV supports 720p, Resistance automatically jumps down to 480p when run with the XMB at 1080i. Just to be safe, I guess. Making me have to do the manual resolution adjustment to 720p.

Now *that* sucks! The PS3 should surely at least be able to detect that 720p is supported and override that XMB setting!! :lol

JB1981 said:
How bout this: will games rendered internally at 1080p not scale down to 720p? That would blow terribly, as I play games only at 720p.

My guess is the game will render at 720p natively. If you have a 480p TV it will render a 480p frambuffer. Like PC games.

Even if I set my PS3 at 720p and a 1080i tv can accept a 720p signal it wouldn't show it?

No, based on my understanding so far, in that case you should be ok - as long as the TV supports 720p (some old HDTV's won't actually even display a 720p signal), and the PS3 is set to 720p.

However if the TV doesn't support 720p *native* then you will be relying on the quality of the TV scaler, and these can be of varying quality.

JB1981

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Let me clarify something here?

Even if I set my PS3 at 720p and a 1080i tv can accept a 720p signal it wouldn't show it?

No. My understanding is that certain resolutions are incompatible with certain games, i.e. Resistance: FoM. The game is being rendered internally at 720p. However, if you choose 1080i as your output resolution with this game, the PS3 will scale down to 480p.

MickeyKnox said:
Looks like Circuit City Union Square for me.

You better hurry. The store doesn't let the official line begin until tomorrow, but there have been people there since Monday/Tuesday. It was on the news this morning and the line was already at least halfway down the block.

Holy shit, the Dow Jones Money Report just said "another black eye for Sony as the electronics maker reports that it's new Playstation 3 system doesn't display in high definition on some of its own earlier HDTVs". Paraphrased but very close to actual news item.

Bebpo said:
You always seemed pissed off in every Sony thread, but MS makes you shed tears of joy.

Bullshit, I've called Microsoft out on many things, including their proprietary controller nonsense. Nobody in this industry is beyond criticism to anybody but fanboys.

Stench

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Holy shit, the Dow Jones Money Report just said "another black eye for Sony as the electronics maker reports that it's new Playstation 3 system doesn't display in high definition on some of its own earlier HDTVs". Paraphrased but very close to actual news item.
I hope Sony gets into some SERIOUS shit over this.

I am so ****ing peed off right now. The PS3 that I camped out overnight for is now completely useless to me, at least until I buy a new TV which won't be until next year.

Top Bottom