• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS) Thread! Henshin a-go-go!

Viewtiful%20Joe.gif

Kind of surprising nobody made a thread for Joe's DS debut. In anycase, this has been getting solid impressions and don't associate it with that "smash brothers melee" wannabe game. Two different titles. Plus, it's great to hear this has more emphasis on puzzles than action. I just picked it up today at Best Buy (noticed it after playing the 360 for the first time...KingKong rocks, Kameo...not so much, anyway)

http://ds.ign.com/articles/665/665435p1.html
IGN- Review
The game does have its quirks, mostly boiling down to the technical limitations: it's not as fast or energetic as past Viewtiful Joe games, and the touch screen sensitivity can get a little wonky in the heat of the battle. But even with these minor oddities, this game is one of the most fun and creative ways to move a "traditional" console game onto the Nintendo DS. The puzzle elements are incredibly clever in places because they're constructed of elements that really haven't been done anywhere before. It's a great looking DS game with some truly original elements that definitely have to be experienced.

--8.5/10--

viewtiful-joe-double-trouble-20051110102645472.jpg

viewtiful-joe-double-trouble-20051110102646472.jpg

viewtiful-joe-double-trouble-20051012003139089.jpg

Anyone pick this up? Remember, 2d 4 life yo!

joe2x27x05x03.jpg

:lol :lol
viewtiful_joe_wrestling.jpg

demi

Somewhat related, but will there be an actual sequel to Viewtiful Joe 2 storywise?

Or is this it?

demi said:
Somewhat related, but will there be an actual sequel to Viewtiful Joe 2 storywise?

Or is this it?

The game is still in the wrapping (I'll bust out in a few minutes) but just cus' this is a handheld game, doesn't mean it's a spin-off (like what most handheld titles are when compared to their console brothers)

So yeah, this is an actual sequal I take it, although not a sense that the next Viewtiful Joe game for a console will probably be titled Viewtiful Joe 3.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
We've talked about it a few times already, so I won't rain on your official thread. But there are board impressions a plenty out there.

Zeo

Banned
I still need to pick it up. It's tight though, with MKDS, Sonic, DQ8, and Tony Hawk next week.

JavyOO7

I'll give out some impressions when the game comes out on my doorstep. I'm looking forward to it, I hope it's good.

I've played a little.

It's obviously like the previous VJ's (which means in execution the game plays well).

The only difference is the touch screen allows for more puzzle variety.

The game will play very much how you expect to play really.

Musashi Wins! said:
We've talked about it a few times already, so I won't rain on your official thread. But there are board impressions a plenty out there.

Link? I'm guessing it's the IGN review thread.

EDIT:
That Resident Evil stage was awesome
it had the exact same music and those 'zombie' dogs crashing through the hallway was classic :lol :lol

Got me thinking, maybe the next Viewtiful Joe shouldn't mimick movies, but the various Capcom titles. They've been making games for almost 20 years, they have enough environments to create.

A problem I have with the gameplay though, is that the whole split/slide thing is awesome...for puzzles. But it becomes a little hectic during actual fighting, not a big deal--I'm sure I'll get used to it. But I think in the future they should keep Joe a simple beat-em up, slow down is good enough, and add more depth within that specific feature.

ToyMachine228 said:
Who knew that the MSRP was $39.99?

I got it at best buy for total (tax included) 32.99

For 29.99 MSRP this is worth it, unlike Viewtiful Joe 2--it's not the same ol' same ol', because A) the game is much easier, so the focus gets shifted away from the combat to rather soaking in the story, the atmosphere and the puzzles (which as of now, are fun).

Honestly, if Viewtiful Joe DS was a huge action-fest like the previous 2, I would not be enjoying it as much as I am.

Kind of annoying through that the touch screen only recognizes your finger nail/tip, as opposed to the flesh, although I guess that's a good thing since it prevents smearing.

Ironclad

I picked up the game along with my Slime controller yesterday. I have yet to tear into it but the game looks interesting and I am a big VJ fan so I know I'll enjoy this one too.

Hearing of the
Resident Evil level
makes me want a
Ghouls and Ghosts level.

cvxfreak

Ironclad_Ninja said:
I picked up the game along with my Slime controller yesterday. I have yet to tear into it but the game looks interesting and I am a big VJ fan so I know I'll enjoy this one too.

Hearing of the
Resident Evil level
makes me want a
Ghouls and Ghosts level.

:O OMGWTF

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I was kinda worried about this game since Nintendo Power of all places only gave it a 7.0 and the review didn't seem so great but if it can be had for $30 as you say I'll probably go pick it up sometime this week.

Yeah, 29.99 at Best Buy, I'm looking at by debit card reciept and the total w/ tax came to 32-ish.

I played some more, and I'm liking it more so. So, the game is getting better and better as I go on (as opposed to a lot of titles, which get worse and worse), so that's good to know.

CVXFREAK:

During the Second Movie (which is themed Nightmare Before Christmas) a large segment of it is in the RE mansion (you know, the classic two stairs with a big portrait in the center). As I recall it has the RE1 theme song to it, too cool. Here's a vid. of what I'm talking about, that -is- the same music right? Viewtiful Joe DS Nightmare-Level Video

The hallway seen, that was just hilarious. I don't know if they make any more Capcom-game references, but Resident Evil was a big part of level 2.

So far, the theme based movies in VJ;DS are:

Robo-Cop
Nightmare Before Christmas
Gone in 60 seconds

There's 12 levels, so this is long game it seems.

I don't know, but I'm really liking this game, MUCH more than any previous Viewtiful Joe.

If I had to rate em'

Viewtiful Joe: 8.5/10
Viewtiful Joe 2: 7.5/10
Viewtiful Joe DS: 9.5/10

So far that is, in fact I'm enjoying it as much as I did with Dawn of Sorrow.

I think a lot of people got burned from VJ2, but as much as it appears, VJ DS is not the same. It's -much less- action oriented, the action is much simpler, easy etc.,

What makes it so fun is the pacing between puzzles and fighting. It's pure 50/50, whereas the previous VJ games were 80 action and 20 puzzle.

Nothing is gimmicky, things are paced well, I've been playing for quite some time and the puzzles are not mere repeat puzzles (so that's good).

So, this is my favorite Viewtiful Joe game, coming from a semi-Viewtiful Joe fan.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
wow, that's high praise. I really didn't like it, I didn't find the puzzles or ds powers very engaging. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the first viewtiful or Castlevania, but...good to hear you're enjoying it so much.

Morts

The music in the vid C-Warrior posted sounds more like RE2 than RE, or was it in both?

Not that it matters. I'm really torn now. Because while the impressions of the game are mixed, ranging from really low to best in the series, the videos look so good...

Musashi Wins! said:
wow, that's high praise. I really didn't like it, I didn't find the puzzles or ds powers very engaging. I wouldn't put it anywhere near the first viewtiful or Castlevania, but...good to hear you're enjoying it so much.

The reason why I'm liking VJ: DS so much more than the first, is because in the first one, it seemed as if I was fighting a single enemy for 10 fuckin years before it died. And it was that throughout the whole game with a few puzzles mixed in.

While in VJ: DS, enemies die quickly. You kill one, kill another, kill the third and move on really quickly.

The pacing is much faster, but the funny thing is it actually has more puzzles. That 'clash' or whatever, is what makes me (imo) like it much more than the original Viewtiful Joe on Gamecube, which I enjoyed so, there you have it.

As to why you don't like the puzzles, well--personally, I think Viewtiful Joe DS does the best job on taking a traditional based beat-em up and using the touch screen in the best ways. You might say, what do I consider a 'traditional DS game'--well, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow for one, but the difference is that the touchscreen use in that game was just flat out dumb, while in VJ;DS, it flows well, it's perfect interaction with the environment.

For example, one puzzle I just did now requires me to knock out a boulder in my way that's loosely stuck on a ledge. So you activate 'scratch' by pressing [R], and then you 'scratch' the screen. The boulder falls, however there is a whirlpool lake right there as well, so not only do you have to 'scratch' the bolder off, but before it falls down you have to split the screen so that the boulder lands on top of the whirlpool, thus--you won't get sucked in. It's all basic "you see what needs to be done, you do what needs to be done" type puzzles, but some of them require a decent sense of speed.

That may not impress people, but hey--imo it's the best use of the touchscreen by a traditional game. Couple that, with spot on controls, great graphics, quirky typical VJ story and a pretty easy game, and we have a winner.

Note, I know I like hard games, but a handheld title should not be hard, but make no mistake, I have died a few times playing VJ DS.

AniHawk said:
Shit. I'm not a Viewtiful Joe fan, but this sounds good.

I'll have to check it out.

I wasn't going to pick this up at first either (waiting out for some other titles) but I was at Best Buy, saw the game for 29.99, wanted some more titles for my sexy little DS (all I have at this moment is Dawn of Sorrow) and I'm liking what I'm playing so far, to the point where I'd put this one above VJ2 and VJ1.

(this may have been covered in other threads)

I was really loving this at first, maybe more than VJ 1... all until the last couple of stages where precise touching was needed.

When your fingers are in a hurry, the touchscreen seems to have a hard time understanding what I want it to do. Slicing is fine, but Zooming in and out seem the most problematic, sometimes I`d run my finger perfectly up/down the screen and the game would still not do what I wanted. Also, while zoomed in and trying to `touch` occassionally it would zoom out... all very confusing while trying to battle multiple enemies. I really missed using the C-stick ;(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I almost finished 1 and 2 (GCN), and I'll likely be picking this up tomorrow with Tony Hawk and Mario Kart.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
C- Warrior said:
I don't know, but I'm really liking this game, MUCH more than any previous Viewtiful Joe.

If I had to rate em'

Viewtiful Joe: 8.5/10
Viewtiful Joe 2: 7.5/10
Viewtiful Joe DS: 9.5/10

The DS version is more puzzle-oriented compared to the console versions, so perhaps that's why you like it more?

I don't know about a 9.5/10 rating; I think you're setting people up to be a bit disappointed. The game is very well done on the DS, but the console Joe games are definitely much better.

The use of the touch screen is far better than Castlevania DoS (where it felt completely out of place and just plain annoying), but it's still awkward to see such heavy use of it in an action game, IMO.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Mejilan said:
I almost finished 1 and 2 (GCN), and I'll likely be picking this up tomorrow with Tony Hawk and Mario Kart.

Where can you get them in-store on Monday?

Any other places have Double Trouble on sale? For $29.99 I'll have to pick it up but for $39.99 and money tight right now I can wait a little while. And there's no Best Buy near me.

Lyte Edge

John Harker said:
Where can you get them in-store on Monday?

As I recall, Meijilan buys all his Nintendo stuff at the Nintendo World Store, which gets everything first.

Jonnyram

Damn, wish I'd played RE more so I could have understood the references in the second level :(
The start of the third level is a nice refreshing change, and it feels like the game is about to get interesting, just when I'd given up hope. I'm back on Princess Peach for now though.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
Damn, wish I'd played RE more so I could have understood the references in the second level :(
The start of the third level is a nice refreshing change, and it feels like the game is about to get interesting, just when I'd given up hope. I'm back on Princess Peach for now though.

Deadly Silence calls, sir. :D

ToyMachine228 said:
Any other places have Double Trouble on sale? For $29.99 I'll have to pick it up but for $39.99 and money tight right now I can wait a little while. And there's no Best Buy near me.

What's really wierd is that all the places (best buy's online store, eb etc.) have it listed as november 18th ship date.

So I would say just order it online from Best Buy but it seems that you 'can't'

..maybe Fry's?

CVXFREAK said:
Deadly Silence calls, sir. :D

YES!

My interest in DS has tripled since I found about the whole Mcdonald's (router)-wifi thing.

Is the co-op multiplayer where you play with 4 others for the entire game? Like, all 5-8 hours (however long RE1 was)? That obviously doesn't sound practical, but man--if a set of people pull it off that'd be awesome.

I'd also imagine they split the 4 people up so you can tackle the entire game in maybe an hour or something?

John Harker

Lyte Edge said:
As I recall, Meijilan buys all his Nintendo stuff at the Nintendo World Store, which gets everything first.

Yea, that's what I thought he was going to say.

I actually work in NYC too, I just wanted to hear someone confirm they would actually have it in store there Monday before I schelpt over there after work before commuting home.

Lyte Edge

C- Warrior said:
YES!

My interest in DS has tripled since I found about the whole Mcdonald's (router)-wifi thing.

Is the co-op multiplayer where you play with 4 others for the entire game? Like, all 5-8 hours (however long RE1 was)? That obviously doesn't sound practical, but man--if a set of people pull it off that'd be awesome.

I'd also imagine they split the 4 people up so you can tackle the entire game in maybe an hour or something?

I thought that RE Deadly Silence multiplayer isn't online, and it's not the main game, but a mode where you try and kill more zombies than the other players?

Capcom, what's up with you and portable online gaming? RE and Monster Hunter Portable for the PSP should both be online. :p

C- Warrior said:
What's really wierd is that all the places (best buy's online store, eb etc.) have it listed as november 18th ship date.

That is really weird because I saw it in EBGames today for $39.99. It wasn't a promo box either you could actually buy the game. Hmm.

On top of that, one of the stores employees had his DS with him and was playing Mario Kart DS. Lucky bastard. I gotta get a job there or something. What are the other benefits to working at EB?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
John Harker said:
Yea, that's what I thought he was going to say.

I actually work in NYC too, I just wanted to hear someone confirm they would actually have it in store there Monday before I schelpt over there after work before commuting home.

Actually, I don't know. And for some reason, DDR: Mario and Metroid Prime Pinball were the first two games that the NWS did NOT get early. I'm hoping it doesn't indicate a change in policy. Drop me an email (mejilan@gmail.com) tomorrow. I work 7 minutes away (walking) from Rockefeller Center and plan on going down during my lunch hour (prolly around 1pm) to see if they have the goods. I can respond back to your email with the good (or bad) word.

ToyMachine228 said:
That is really weird because I saw it in EBGames today for $39.99. It wasn't a promo box either you could actually buy the game. Hmm.

On top of that, one of the stores employees had his DS with him and was playing Mario Kart DS. Lucky bastard. I gotta get a job there or something. What are the other benefits to working at EB?
So uh... what EB was this? Yeah, we got VJ:DS in on like thursday i think. And was playing my managers copy of Mario Kart she got for free for a little bit...

John Harker

I almost made a new thread for this, but it may have been kinda silly.

And it may have already been said.

However, if anyone here watches LOST...

In one episode, Walt, the kid, is reading a comic book

And I have the DVD case of season 1 in front of me

And there is a small pic of him sitting next to his dad reading the comic book...

And if you look at it closely...

IT's VIEWTIFUL JOE!!!

hahahaahahaha, awsome. One of the writeres must be a fan or something - that doesnt happen as coicidence. And its way too qiick/passive to be a paid product placement.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Thanks for the tip C-Warrior! Just got back home from picking the game up. ^_^

VJ: Double Trouble! has the honor (?) of being #4 in my collection of games for a system I don't own. :)

I went to gamestop, but

1) They only had 1 copy
2) It was the display copy (opened)
3) $40

Part of me just wanted to cry, I left and preordered it on bestbuy.com, I'm too lazy to go downtown for it.

Spike

I am loving this game!! I love the increased puzzle elements. The graphics...is this the DS?!?!

Very fun game. I'm having a hard time juggling this, Mario Kart, Meteos, and Metroid Prime Pinball.

Spike said:
I am loving this game!! I love the increased puzzle elements. The graphics...is this the DS?!?!

Very fun game. I'm having a hard time juggling this, Mario Kart, Meteos, and Metroid Prime Pinball.

Yeah, that's why I didn't get Mario Kart, didn't want to be tempted (I hate playing between games back n' forth btw)

Mario Kart is next on the list.

I was unsure about picking this one up... the reviews, while good, sounded like they were complaining... and it was hard to imagine how VJ would be on the little DS that could.

Well...

HOLY FUCKING CRAP THIS GAME IS VIEWTIFUL!

Seriously!! -
* love the rock-steady 30fps
* love the quality Clover achieved with the graphics
* love the new VFX abilities
* love the puzzles
* love how easy it is to switch from buttons to finger-use VFX
* love the new spoofs:
Just got to the RE level, music, level design ROCKS!
* love that there is nothing not to love about VJ Double Trouble!
* would love to point out that I am not a VJ whore

Awesome game! Any that like the VJ formula that was sitting on the fence, jump off it and go buy this game! I am seriously in awe of what Clover has achieved! Bravo!

Jeff-DSA

I picked it up but I've been swamped with school and work. I'll get some time with it Saturday while waiting for my 360 to show up... :D

Spike

Question:

I've saved on level 1-11, then I come to this part where there's an oil tank that sits in the middle of the screen, and there is a green wall on the right. It says to split the screen, so I do, but what exactly am I supposed to do at this point?

Please help!!

Spike said:
Question:

I've saved on level 1-11, then I come to this part where there's an oil tank that sits in the middle of the screen, and there is a green wall on the right. It says to split the screen, so I do, but what exactly am I supposed to do at this point?

Please help!!
You have to split the screen to bring the green wall (barrier) to be directly above the oil tank. Thank, while still split, use the slow vfx and uppercut the oil tank into the green wall (barrier). It'll blow up and then you can proceed. I think that's how it works, if I remember correctly... :)

Spike

Gaia Theory said:
You have to split the screen to bring the green wall (barrier) to be directly above the oil tank. Thank, while still split, use the slow vfx and uppercut the oil tank into the green wall (barrier). It'll blow up and then you can proceed. I think that's how it works, if I remember correctly... :)

Thanks, I figured it out just after I typed that up! :lol

Actually,
I had to kick the barrel in slo mo, so that it arched up on an angle into the wall.

Top Bottom