• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble (DS) Thread! Henshin a-go-go!

Spike said:
Thanks, I figured it out just after I typed that up! :lol
:lol This game rules. All the doubters be damned. Again, I can't say this enough:

The Nightmare Before XMAS RE themed level kicks so much ass!

Spike

Gaia Theory said:
:lol This game rules. All the doubters be damned. Again, I can't say this enough:

The Nightmare Before XMAS RE themed level kicks so much ass!

This game does rule!! It takes alot for me to get interested in a game, nowadays. But, as soon as I picked up VJ, I haven't stopped playing it. Gunstar Super Heroes and Kameo are sitting in the corner, looking at me with big, sad, puppy-dog eyes. :lol

Does anyone know if VJ Double Trouble features any hidden characters?
I know that you can play as Jasmine for a small portion of stage 3.

I certainly hope that you can unlock some secret characters. Word on the street from people that have completed the game on all 3 difficulty settings say 'NO.'

That would suck.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sorry for the bump! Least its only a month old!

Okay so I finished the game tonight. I liked it and had fun but the game is SO not Viewtiful. Without the voice acting there's no passion and with only 2 regular enemies onscreen max and no mach-speed it also lacks oomph. No passion or power. Did they really have to attach the VJ name to this?

Loved the stages and (mostly) intuitive puzzles though some are just crap. Music is also really good and more memorable than that of the other VJ's. Story was pretty blah but at least it has a nice ending and Jasmine wasn't casted as an annoyed/ing sister but a pretty nice girl.

What's with the lack of extras/options? No reel select and no post-final boss saving so you can't start a new game with all your powerups really stinks. It makes me nuts thinking how much was left out and how better this could have been while still knowing it was really fun and that I'll surely replay it! >_<;

C- Warrior said:
That may not impress people, but hey--imo it's the best use of the touchscreen by a traditional game.

Just had to say that Sonic Rush's special stages one-up this.

Should I get this game? I found VJ1 amusing as a $15 purchase. I lust for all things DS (11 games in a year).

svenuce

Based on this thread, I too picked it up.

I'm really loving the puzzle design. It's not always obvious what you're supposed to do but playing with all of the abilities and trying different combinations, it's really rewarding when you get past them.

Solid effort.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
tetsuoxb said:
Out of curiosity what voices did you like the best?

?

I liked them all except Alastor..he sounded off to me. I was just whining about how there is only voice clips while the cutscenes are text-only. :( Really takes ya out of the moment. Also if I ever meet the guy who decided you needed to "slide" the cutscene film up to keep viewing them I'ma kick him in his jewelry case. WORST USE OF GIMMICKSCREEN EVER!

For the record (I'm not adversting it), playing VJ DS with a comfort stylus is the best way to play. Considering how often you have to touch the screen to do stuff, the regular stylus doesn't make sense, and using your finger isn't the most accurate way to interact with the touch screen.

I won mine by filling out their form, so you could try that, but they are selling them for $6 bucks. I think it's worth it, but then, I got mine for free.

I agree, Lindsay, that it's a great game but that the lack of extras is disturbing. I'm very disappointed about the lack of any special playable characters!!!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
image004.jpg
Comfortstylus_DS_s.jpg

Wow, didn't know about this stylus. Could you give us some impressions? With what games does it work best?

Some impressions? Sure.

The thing is kind of awkward to twist around your finger properly. It's not that it's hard to twist it or anything, but it's hard to 'calibrate' the thing. You want it to be tight, but not too tight, and you want it to twist twice around just the tip of your finger.

I got it to feel right eventually.

I still prefer to use the regular stylus for quick bursts of gameplay, but overall, I use the comfortstylus when I play.

A game like Nintendogs works well with it, because you are always using the stylus. Where I find it comes in MOST handy, however, is for the games where you only sometimes, or rarely need the stylus.

ie: Castlevania
Isn't it annoying to have to 'ready' your stylus pen when you get to a boss room? Well, with the comfortstylus, I just play the game with it on, then, when I need to use a seal spell, I'm ready!

ie: VJ
I couldn't stand how much I was using my finger to touch the screen when playing this game! It's way less accurate (part programming, part finger instead of stylus). Now, with the comfortstylus, I can just play like normal, without it getting in the way of a,b,x,y button presses, but be ready with stylus pen when I need to touch the screen.

It works really well, but the red tipped version is kind of cheap looking. The all black version looks better but has a smaller stylus head.

I quite enjoy it and think that if you are considering buying a new/extra stylus for your DS, it might as well be this one, because it allows you to multitask like no other stylus can.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I noticed I have 40 bucks in my ds game fund just now, so the question is,

VJ or Sonic Rush?

EDIT: Wait, maybe it's not even a question, Is VJ out in Europe? If it's not, should I get Sonic now?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ohhh there's one more thing I got to pick at. A couple of puzzles need you to slow uppercut an object and then while still holding slow you must split the screen to guide the object into a hole or something. Maybe its just cause I'm lefthanded but that was a real pain ta pull off since I had to move the DS over enough (all the while my VFX meter is draining) so my right hand could hold in the slow button and then split with the stylus in my left.

I can't wait for the hopefully inevitable sequel. The gimmickscreen powers were great and they just gotta put that Y button ta use!

You know, the DS came with a thumb stylus. It does more than play as an "analog stick" for Super Mario 64...

Also, certain stores like Best Buy and Fry's has it for $29.99, and I regard it higher than Sonic Rush, which is short, unfair and just like the Advance games. But doesnt excel from the originals in some ways...

So, yes, Henshin a Go-Go on your DS.

NC56408.jpg

For those who tossed it out

You funny, buy more...

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wc...694&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=null

radcliff

Gaia Theory said:
ie: Castlevania
Isn't it annoying to have to 'ready' your stylus pen when you get to a boss room? Well, with the comfortstylus, I just play the game with it on, then, when I need to use a seal spell, I'm ready!

In Castlevania, the timer for completing a sealing spell did not start until after you touched the touch screen. You could wait a whole minute to actually start the spell and it wouldn't matter. You really didn't have to have the stylus "ready" when you got to a boss room. When it was time for sealing, sit back, relax, remove stylus from its holder, brace yourself, go over the pattern in your mind a few times, and go for it!

Althuogh it does sound useful for VJ.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Bartman3010 said:
You know, the DS came with a thumb stylus. It does more than play as an "analog stick" for Super Mario 64...

Also, certain stores like Best Buy and Fry's has it for $29.99, and I regard it higher than Sonic Rush, which is short, unfair and just like the Advance games. But doesnt excel from the originals in some ways...

So, yes, Henshin a Go-Go on your DS.

NC56408.jpg

That's what that thing is? I thought it was like a keychain thingy. I kept it luckily so I'll have to try it out though I don't got the faintest clue how!

jgkspsx

Not so late to the party... I finished it tonight. Had fun, great puzzles (but not enough to satisfy, really), not-so-great action (but fun enough), but it didn't have the soul the original did. It's very much a handheld version in the Game Gear/Game Boy tradition.

I really don't like the Scratch or Slide VFX powers -- they should have eliminated Scratch and used the R button to trigger Slide or Split depending upon the gesture. Touching enemies to kill them was the worst gimmick in the game.

Lindsay said:
What's with the lack of extras/options? No reel select and no post-final boss saving so you can't start a new game with all your powerups really stinks. It makes me nuts thinking how much was left out and how better this could have been while still knowing it was really fun and that I'll surely replay it! >_<;
QFtFT. It was really disappointing to find that this was the case. Also,
after all that damn foreshadowing, there's no fully-playable Jasmine? WTF?

Bebpo

Banned
I picked it up last week. Played it once. Seemed ok but the controls were pretty sucky :\ It also seemed kinda hard to see with so much going on in the little tiny screen vs. your big tv. Nice effort by Capcom, but I dunno if I'll ever play through it.

Top Bottom