• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

Bebpo

Banned
It really sucks that the elecom adapters don't work with VF5.

It's almost as if Sega saw the news about Elecom's letting people use PS2 arcade sticks and they felt it threatened the sales of their PS3 stick so they purprosely made sure the Elecom's wouldn't work.

Stuck on a pad until my High Grade comes hopefully at the end of the week ;_;

Baby Milo

gutter_trash said:
and probably just a $10 difference between the two depending form who you are buying

:lol thats pretty much why i asked the question

one last question sorry guys but the english is on the disc right?

Srider

Banned
Baby Milo said:
I know the PS3 is region free but is there any difference betweent the asian and Jp version of VF5?

If its all the same thing im gonna order it you people are cracking me over here

No difference except maybe the packaging and some other extra manuals for non Japanese speakers.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
DCharlie said:
getting mine today - camera is ready...

but i have a futsal game from 9:30pm , so i have to pray i get out of work early enough to go buy the game and get home to try it

Look forward to seeing the goods, your T5DR pictures were fantastic. :D

Bebpo

Banned
Is it just me or did they tighten up the window frames for the more difficult attacks? I just went through Kage's move list in training (new stance FTW) and I couldn't pull off a few moves that I can power up VF4 right now and pull off. Either the frame window is smaller or I just really suck at playing with a d-pad >_<

Also, training mode feels really rushed :( In VF4/Evo/VF3/VF2 (I think) if I couldn't pull off a move I'd bring up the command list and watch the AI do it so I could figure it out. Now you can only do that for like 10 attacks out of 200+ if Kage is any indication. If you get stuck on any others you are just out of luck :( I bet that's corrected in the X360 version.

Also is there no general training walkthrough for the new changes to the game system from Evo -> VF5? I didn't follow the arcade scene since there were no machines here and I don't know what's been changed besides just the movesets.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
gutter_trash said:
yes, the game detects if your PS3 is set to English and will set the game to English accordingly

Is this a FACT? If so, I will go down to an import store TOMORROW and buy it!

I just checked my order at P-A and they have recieved their stock of the Virtua Stick High Grade. The little check mark is beside both the game and my joystick. It should be shipping tonight!

I'm excited...so people, check your orders NOW!

Bebpo

Banned
Mattlikewhoa said:
I just checked my order at P-A and they have recieved their stock of the Virtua Stick High Grade. The little check mark is beside both the game and my joystick. It should be shipping tonight!

No check next to mine...arghh!!

MarkMan said:
Hori Real Arcade Pro 3 and Fighting Stick 3 are in stock/shipping from Play-Asia right now!

You can also get the Fighting Stick 3 at GameStop/EB Games... I purchased mine from Fry's Electronics.

Does Fry's have the FS3 NOW? EB/Gamestop are telling me the 12th. Now that the Elecom doesn't work >_< I need to pick up a 2nd stick anyhow for the 2nd player and errr I can't play on the sixaxis >_<

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Bebpo said:
What's the difference between offensive stance (u/d -> immeadiately P+K+G) and defensive stance (?)?

Offensive stance is a little faster and used mainly when you are at an advantage, but it can't evade most attacks... Defensive stance is used when you know someone is going to attack and you want to evade. It avoids a lot of attacks but if you are wrong you are wide open to anything.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
So this game is out an about! Whoo hoo (I say this with the utmost sincerity)! Celebration!

Hopefully this will drive PS3 sales in JPN to an extent commensurate to Wii sales? Whatever happens, this is PS3's 2nd killer app! :)

Bebpo

Banned
Reno said:
Offensive stance is a little faster and used mainly when you are at an advantage, but it can't evade most attacks... Defensive stance is used when you know someone is going to attack and you want to evade. It avoids a lot of attacks but if you are wrong you are wide open to anything.

No I mean...how do you do a defensive stance? I figured out the offensive one by guesswork ^^;

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Defensive evade/stance is just tapping up and down when someone attacks you...

Bebpo

Banned
Reno said:
Defensive evade/stance is just tapping up and down when someone attacks you...

Hmmmmmm, in training mode the dummy should attack then! :(

Also, as far as I can tell, the game doesn't check off which moves you've finished in training mode, so you know which ones you skipped and need to go back too. Training mode is :(

MegaTen

Banned
Mattlikewhoa said:

My order has the check as well. I'm glad I placed my order as soon as the item was on the site. :D

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my magic joystick skills are gone now that i've played all damn day :(

on the other hand OMG VF5 ROCKS

i think i'm going to take a short break from akira and learn el blaze

Bebpo

Banned
Got the last Fighting Stick 3 at Fry's!

At first I was scared it wouldn't work with VF5 because it says DOES NOT WORK IN ANALOGUE MODE and I don't really understand the difference between analogue and digital but I know it has something to do with why the Elecom adapters don't work...but it works woohoo!

Went through Kage and Akira's new movelists. I really like what they did with Akira, he has a lot more strings with positional movement and feels like way more of a crazy mind game dude than before. Kage's new hadouken-type stance is cool for the d+k,k and P+K.

It seems to me like each character got about 15% new moves, which feels like a sizeable amount to me though this includes whatever is new from Final Tuned since I only played it a few times in arcades and never learned what was added.

Not sure if I like the offensive/defensive stances compared to the old tap u/d->P+K+G attack. They're harder to pull off a first (though I've only put a few hours in on a sixaxis), but they do allow more attack options while in them.

How do you do the old tap u/d->P+K+G attacks? I did them once on accident with both Akira and Kage but I can't do them on purpose.

And oh shiiiiiit at the amount of items for character custom. There's probably more items in 2 of the 4-6 body part groups for each character than there was for the entire character in Evo. :O

Quest mode is pretty rockin as well. I made a character fought some dudes in the English version and then I switched to Japanese and loaded my character and fought (maybe?) different people. I say maybe, because even though they had different names they almost seem like the same characters at the same level (for instance my first fight in English was 9-kyu Sara, first fight in Japanese was 9-kyu Sara. Both with different names but I suspect the same character).

Anyhow now that I have a STICK I'm gonna run through the training modes of the other 15 characters :) So far this game is OMG SO AWESOME.

Can't wait until I have human competition!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's a ~2nd dan sarah with an "i love gaf" ring quote. i forget the name -- something jekku maybe? i've seen matlock and shane's characters too.

Bebpo

Banned
No pictures from me. I just broke my camera trying to take VF5 pics. I dropped it like a foot onto a hard table and the inner lens thing behind the clear lens bent at a 45 degree angle and now is only showing the wall of the inside of the camera out of focus :( Will take it to a camera store tomorrow :(

Bebpo

Banned
Bebpo said:
How do you do the old tap u/d->P+K+G attacks? I did them once on accident with both Akira and Kage but I can't do them on purpose.

Nm, figured this out. Same as before except with P+K instead of P+K+G.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hmm, I dunno guys...I'm getting cold feet on this game. After reading a few impressions and the FAQ over at VF.net, it seems this is only Virtua Fighter 4.5. How else does this differ from 4 other than higher resolution and a few more items to collect? Seems the meat of the game is basically the same...Kumite=Quest mode, only now you can choose any arcade you want. Meh, I liked it the way it was in Evo where you had to work your way up to get to the baddest arcade in town.

Plus, this is a real bummer:

One of the biggest shocks to fans regarding this home port is the lack of any tutorial or challenge training. These highly regarded features from the previous PS2 versions will be missed. How will the new breed on the PS3 take to learning the game? By asking on VFDC of course!

No tutorial in training mode? That blows.

And of course, lack of *ANY* online support whatsoever is simply inexcusable in this day and age. They could've at least let you download replays and support leader boards and player ghosts. Guaranteed this will be supported in the 360 version.

Bebpo, strider and Drhone you guys seem to be enjoying the game a lot...but honestly now...how long do you see yourselves firing up VF5 just to play by against the AI?

Ravenn17

Bebpo said:
Got the last Fighting Stick 3 at Fry's!

At first I was scared it wouldn't work with VF5 because it says DOES NOT WORK IN ANALOGUE MODE and I don't really understand the difference between analogue and digital but I know it has something to do with why the Elecom adapters don't work...but it works woohoo!

Went through Kage and Akira's new movelists. I really like what they did with Akira, he has a lot more strings with positional movement and feels like way more of a crazy mind game dude than before. Kage's new hadouken-type stance is cool for the d+k,k and P+K.

It seems to me like each character got about 15% new moves, which feels like a sizeable amount to me though this includes whatever is new from Final Tuned since I only played it a few times in arcades and never learned what was added.

Not sure if I like the offensive/defensive stances compared to the old tap u/d->P+K+G attack. They're harder to pull off a first (though I've only put a few hours in on a sixaxis), but they do allow more attack options while in them.

And oh shiiiiiit at the amount of items for character custom. There's probably more items in 2 of the 4-6 body part groups for each character than there was for the entire character in Evo. :O

Quest mode is pretty rockin as well. I made a character fought some dudes in the English version and then I switched to Japanese and loaded my character and fought (maybe?) different people. I say maybe, because even though they had different names they almost seem like the same characters at the same level (for instance my first fight in English was 9-kyu Sara, first fight in Japanese was 9-kyu Sara. Both with different names but I suspect the same character).

Anyhow now that I have a STICK I'm gonna run through the training modes of the other 15 characters :) So far this game is OMG SO AWESOME.

Can't wait until I have human competition!

Stick impressions ASAP please. :D

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
isamu said:
Hmm, I dunno guys...I'm getting cold feet on this game. After reading a few impressions and the FAQ over at VF.net, it seems this is only Virtua Fighter 4.5. How else does this differ from 4 other than higher resolution and a few more items to collect? Seems the meat of the game is basically the same...Kumite=Quest mode, only now you can choose any arcade you want. Meh, I liked it the way it was in Evo where you had to work your way up to get to the baddest arcade in town.

Plus, this is a real bummer:

No tutorial in training mode? That blows.

And of course, lack of *ANY* online support whatsoever is simply inexcusable in this day and age. They could've at least let you download replays and support leader boards and player ghosts. Guaranteed this will be supported in the 360 version.

Bebpo, strider and Drhone you guys seem to be enjoying the game a lot...but honestly now...how long do you see yourselves firing up VF5 just to play by against the AI?

I don't get it. You cream your pants over racing games with marginal upgrades, but a substantial gameplay tweak with two new characters and next gen graphics and all new animation and you're not sure if it's enough of a leap to be interesting?

You're a strange cat.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Oh snap, 360 version to support downloadable replays and/or AI?

What exactly are "ghosts" in VF5? :p

No moves tutorial totally blows. Weak weak weak.

Does it mean anything if it has the 360 and Live emblems on the site?

It's probably hopeless for online play, but other stuff I'd be looking forward to.

http://www.sega.com/gamesite/vf5/phase2/index.html

isamu

Fatghost said:
I don't get it. You cream your pants over racing games with marginal upgrades, but a substantial gameplay tweak with two new characters and next gen graphics and all new animation and you're not sure if it's enough of a leap to be interesting?

You're a strange cat.

If you're referring to the Ridge Racer 6>Ridge Racer 7 games, I haven't played them yet but I do know that RR7 added more than just marginal tweaks...it added 6 new tracks, 12 new cars and last but not least ONLINE PLAY! RR6 doesn't have online play and the addition of it to RR7 is a HUGE addition! Much more than what VF5 added to VF4.

isamu said:
If you're referring to the Ridge Racer 6>Ridge Racer 7 games, I haven't played them yet but I do know that RR7 added more than just marginal tweaks...it added 6 new tracks, 12 new cars and last but not least ONLINE PLAY! RR6 doesn't have online play and the addition of it to RR7 is a HUGE addition! Much more than what VF5 added to VF4.

Uh...RR6 does have online play if I remember correctly.

AVclub

I have both RR6 and RR7. While the two games are very different, and the PS3 version is better in almost every way, the 360 game does have online multiplayer.

Bebpo

Banned
Hmm, 1st thought on characters I've gone through in training.

El Blaze & Eileen - El Blaze Seem like the best new VF character in some time. Both have pretty unique play style and are lots of fun. It's interesting that both seem like beginner characters from the viewpoint that they both have a lot of easy PPPK type stuff and are fast, but on the other hand both seem quite deep with all their stances and the ability to link tons of stuff. Both characters remind me of Shun and his level of depth.

Lion - Has lots of a goofy stances now. Dunno how useful, but he definitely can act like an idiot now.

Kage - Has one new stance and a few new moves. Seems somewhat useful and about as much of an upgrade as VF2/3->VF4 for him.

Akira - Has a nice amount of new goodies, but since he's the VF poster boy it's no wonder that they give him lots of cool new moves each time. Definitely seems like he could be overpowered from first glance (he was already amazing in the past and now he's even MORE unpredictable and combo-doable).

Aoi - WTF, she has like ONE NEW MOVE (ok maybe 2-3) @_@ It doesn't feel like she plays any different from VF4/Evo at all. She's one of my main characters along with Akira/Kage/Lion, so I'm sorta bummed I don't see many new tricks to pull with her. OTOH he exposed back looks REALLY hot in VF5 so I look forward to outfitting her with items.

probably the first VF sequel where the new added characters are beginner (or easily accessible) level characters

Lion: intermediate
Shun: expert
Taka: intermediate
Aoi: expert
Lei: intermediate
Vanessa: expert
Goh: expert
Brad: intermediate

Bebpo

Banned
gutter_trash said:
probably the first VF sequel where the new added characters are beginner (or easily accessible) level characters

Lion: intermediate
Shun: expert
Taka: intermediate
Aoi: expert
Lei: intermediate
Vanessa: expert
Goh: expert
Brad: intermediate

I dunno, I think Lei is the most button-mashy character in the game. That's allllll my friend played when he first started VF because you could mash your way through the stances and be doing reversals and mixing up moves like crazy to confuse your opponent.

I'd also qualify Brad as entry-level.

But like I said, from my first opinion on the two new characters I could see them being both "beginner" and "expert".

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Guess who used to lose to me consistently with Lei in VF4?

Sony Bettenhausen, one of the worst fighting game players I've ever faced.

Bebpo

Banned
You don't get much money from a run through Arcade mode. I got 350g and the cheap items cost 4000g ^^; Guess it's all quest mode and VS. for money.

The backgrounds in this game are GORGEOUS. The lighting is wow. I love the new version of Shun's raft stage.

Playing the CPU I'm starting to really enjoy the new offensive stance. The back, forth shuffling added to the already movement heavy gameplay makes things pretty hectic and intense IMO.

Dural is still a total bitch >_<

Top Bottom