• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
-----------------------------
Release Date and Price
-----------------------------

PS3 Japan - February 8th, 2007

PS3 America - February 20th, 2007

---------------------------------------------
Virtua Fighter 5
---------------------------------------------

Six years after the release of the original Virtua Fighter 4, and nearly three years after the release of Final Tuned, the last update to VF4, Sega comes back with the fifth iteration of the most advanced fighter in the world. Released in arcades across Japan (sorry America) in July of 2006, Virtua Fighter 5 is another installment of the much beloved series started by Yu Suzuki of AM2 and now continued by one Hiroshi Kataoka. Armed with super high-res graphics and an awesome online feature in VF.tv, Virtua Fighter 5, along with Gundam and Tekken 5, represent the best titles that Japanese arcades have to offer. With T5 already on the PS3 via download and Gundam on the PS2, it's high time for Virtua Fighter to return to the console scene and show everyone how it's done!

------------
What's new
------------

The entire cast from Virtua Fighter 4 (including newcomers Brad and Goh) are back in the newest iteration of the game. Added to the roster are Luche Libre fighter El Blaze and Monkey Kung-Fu fighter Eileen (pronounced Ay-leen in the game). Both are small, fast fighters with lots of deception and trickery. El Blaze has an arsenal of hard-hitting grappling techniques as well as a lot of airborne moves, while Eileen may not do a lot of damage per hit, it's compensated by the fact that her speed and varying strings make her 'oh my god I hate this bitch so much' annoying. The returning characters have all received new moves as well as having existing moves tweaked around. For example, Akira's b, f+P+G throw now launches opponents into the air, similar to Kage's Ten Foot Toss (TFT), and Shun has received tons of new attacks that make him even more unpredictable. Wolf (one of my main characters) has lots of new throws that are ripped straight from Kurt Angle's book of wrestling holds.

Underneath the characters is a basic system that looks the same as the previous installment, but is completely different. Characters can now perform two types of evades, called Offensive and Defensive, and are to be used in different situations. Offensive evades are used primarily for positioning around the ring and when you have an advantage over your opponent. Of course, they can be used to dodge some moves, but it's not as reliable as Defensive evades are in those situations. There are a lot of technical changes to the game as far as frames go, but for most gamers they won't notice this so let's not get into it.

Of course, the graphics are totally revamped and look hot as hell. The characters themselves look much better than in VF4, and the textures on their clothing have to be seen in high res to truly appreciate them. Little touches like clothes getting damp in the water make it the best looking fighting game around.

Customizing characters is different from Virtua Fighter 4, but you have a lot more to play around with now. There are categories for Head, Face, Body, Torso and Leg like before, but within these categories you can layer items on top of each other, so one category can theoretically have two or more items attached to it. You can also take articles of clothing off, so for those who want a shirtless Jacky or Lion, go right ahead. Sadly, you can't do this with the female characters.

--------------------
New Challengers
--------------------

El Blaze

344036499_7e4e26b6d4_o.jpg

Obviously inspired from one Rey Mysterio of the WWE, El Blaze is a Luchre Libra wrestler who's at odds with Wolf, the other wrestler in the Virtua Fighter world. Despite his rather small stature, El Blaze throws a lot of power behind his punches and is one of the easier characters to learn in the game. Blaze doesn't have a special stance like many character in the game, but he can go into a sprint where he can pull off both throws and strikes to keep his opponents guessing. In the latest installment of Tougeki Tamashii (a Japanese magazine for the Super Battle Opera tournament), Blaze is listed as an E rank character.

Eileen

344036497_b5524c8438_o.jpg

Sure to be the fantasy of pedobears everywhere, Eileen is a young girl who witnessed Pai Chan fight, and is now eager to follow in her footsteps. She does this by employing her own brand of kick assery, Monkey Kung-Fu. Unlike Blaze, Eileen can't do as much damage per hit as other fighters, but her deceptiveness and speed make her a character suited for abare players (aka those who can't stop attacking). Within her vast repetoire of attack strings, Eileen can change things up almost at will, keeping her opponent on her toes and keeping her on the offensive. In the latest installment of Tougeki Tamashii, she was listed as an A rank character.

-----------------------------------------
Screenshots

344037407_e0a53e3671_o.jpg

344037406_dd6eaaa38d_o.jpg

344036501_2f5a345480_o.jpg

344036491_2b19d984f6.jpg

----------------
Boxart
----------------

Japan
344036495_63a981fbb9_o.jpg

US
B000IONGWW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V34052381_.jpg

Videos (Mainly in-game match videos)

Version B Intro (Arcade Only)

Shun vs. Wolf (Shun's stage)

Shun vs. Akira (Vanessa's stage)

Akira vs. Kage (Sarah's stage)

Wolf vs. Jacky (Wolf's stage)

Aoi vs. Jeffry (Dural's stage)

-----------
Reviews
-----------

still to come

--------------
Notes
-------------

- Keep the whining about no online play out of this thread. Yes, it sucks that it's not in there, and yes, the game would've benefited from it. Now stop whining.

- Keep console talk out of this. The thread is for the PS3 version, not the 360 rev. We'll deal with that when it's released.

- Word around some message boards and some friends that I talked to are that the PS3 version is very bare bones (aka no tutorial). I hope that isn't true but seeing as I talked to three different people about it... :(

- Bebpo, in his drunken state during new years, challenged me to a match of VF5, which I politely declined because I'd rather not play noobs. But he promises he has skills, so we're going to play a match in April, in Osaka. :) This will be videotaped too!

- The game is confirmed to support everything up to 1080p!

----------
End
----------

One more month till the game hits Japan! Are you pumped?! I am!

im pumped for feb 20th.

I cant wait for VF5, aka the greatest 3D fighting game of all time and will remain that until VF6 comes out

Shinobi

Here's the US cover (which looks pretty bad ass)...

In some ways I would've expected the US to get the Japanese cover and vice versa. Not that I consider it a big deal or anything...just interesting.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Crowza said:
Why is this thread a PS3 exclusive?

Because the 360 version doesn't come out till the summer. I'm guessing someone will make a new thread for that rev when it comes out.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hi. Looking forward to this.

I'll be ready with my x-copy Chibita style.

Already have a Virtua Stick High Grade preordered. Getting HRAP3s too. :)

Feb. can't come soon enough!

*goes back to play Tekken 5: DR*

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Just wanted to post some of my thoughts...

I'm a Tekken player and fan... probably one of the most hardcore Tekken nuts out there... I've played VF since VF2 and actually read up and tried to learn the game(mostly played with VF4 and VF4 EVO)... I even got a few of my friends to start playing here...

While I'm tried and true a die hard Tekken fan til' I die... I can tell the polish and shine put into VF... it's an amazing game and it does SO MUCH that I wish Tekken would have. I think one thing for sure... Tekken is much easier to get into... easier to teach, easier to learn... and for me, easier to enjoy. It's simple yes. Does it feel rewarding? Depends... I live in an area where competition for this game is ENDLESS... we have one of the biggest crews around and we're always willing to play.

But for VF... I don't have that luxury... but I LOVE watching/trying things out... I really hope VF5 blows up over here so that more and more people can experience the game and not nominate shit like Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Smackdown vs Raw for fighting games of the year.... T.T ...

I'll be going to Japan sometime this year and one of the main reasons I'm going is to watch/play Tekken and other games at arcades in Japan....

I'm sure the experience there will be much better than it is over here....

Here's to hoping that 2007 doesn't only bring the games... it' brings the players.

theBishop

Banned
Tekken Dark Resurrection was the first 3d fighter I played for any length of time. I think this one might be too hardcore for me.

No tutorial? The 1up feature showed move lists, hopefully that was part of the tutorial.

What I'd like to know is if there's a quest mode, fighting higher ranked opponents decked out in custom outfits. All the pics so far are straight from regular matches, I'd be sad if no tutorial is included but no quest mode would make me pissed since I'd rather not fight the same handful of matches in arcade over and over.

Wow, it sounds like there's a commentary the entire match.

That is cool, but I shudder at how it will sound in English.

Since it is Blu-ray, I hope they put both versions on one disc. PLEASE!!!

Trojan X

Banned
MarkMan said:
Just wanted to post some of my thoughts...

I'm a Tekken player and fan... probably one of the most hardcore Tekken nuts out there... I've played VF since VF2 and actually read up and tried to learn the game(mostly played with VF4 and VF4 EVO)... I even got a few of my friends to start playing here...

While I'm tried and true a die hard Tekken fan til' I die... I can tell the polish and shine put into VF... it's an amazing game and it does SO MUCH that I wish Tekken would have. I think one thing for sure... Tekken is much easier to get into... easier to teach, easier to learn... and for me, easier to enjoy. It's simple yes. Does it feel rewarding? Depends... I live in an area where competition for this game is ENDLESS... we have one of the biggest crews around and we're always willing to play.

But for VF... I don't have that luxury... but I LOVE watching/trying things out... I really hope VF5 blows up over here so that more and more people can experience the game and not nominate shit like Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Smackdown vs Raw for fighting games of the year.... T.T ...

I'll be going to Japan sometime this year and one of the main reasons I'm going is to watch/play Tekken and other games at arcades in Japan....

I'm sure the experience there will be much better than it is over here....

Here's to hoping that 2007 doesn't only bring the games... it' brings the players.

That's got to be one of the best and honest post I've read from a Tekken player.

ant1532

Banned
I was going to import if the Jap boxart was better but I don't like it at all. I hope that arcade stick works with 360

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Reno said:
- Keep the whining about no online play out of this thread. Yes, it sucks that it's not in there, and yes, the game would've benefited from it. Now stop whining.

But is there any kind of online functionality like rankings or ghosts sharing?

I'm ok with no online play, but some ranking stuff is needed IMO. Look at what it did with GTHD.

Hunahan

Banned
Why is most of the media for this game not hi-def? Even most of the screenshots available are very small or aliased...it's just wierd.. game looks gorgeous, show it off!

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Not that bad really. Its well past the days of canned, corny commentary, a la WWF War Zone (sorry, but its the only close equivalent I can come up with).

Shinobi said:
Here's the US cover (which looks pretty bad ass)...

In some ways I would've expected the US to get the Japanese cover and vice versa. Not that I consider it a big deal or anything...just interesting.
Is it me, or did the US get the better cover? I thought this was interesting...

SaitoH

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Since it is Blu-ray, I hope they put both versions on one disc. PLEASE!!!

Commentary is from a competition.

kiun

So... are you guys going to get the JP or the US version ?

I mean, Sega did censor the US VF4 Evo, but on the other hand, its nice to be able to understand the Kumite/Training mode.

Durante

ferrarimanf355 said:
Is it me, or did the US get the better cover? I thought this was interesting...
Yeah, first thing I noticed because it's such an exceedingly rare occurrence.

Regarding the game, I'd rather have SC4 :p

KTallguy

Banned
I'll get the US version, it doesn't look like SOA is taking things OUT of it, like they did with VF4EVO (Vanessa's 1p costume, etc.)

A quest mode is in the game, similar to Tekken DR ghost battle.

Man man, I really want to play this game!!!

kiun said:
So... are you guys going to get the JP or the US version ?

I mean, Sega did censor the US VF4 Evo, but on the other hand, its nice to be able to understand the Kumite/Training mode.

What was censored?

KTallguy

Banned
Hunahan said:
Why is most of the media for this game not hi-def? Even most of the screenshots available are very small or aliased...it's just wierd.. game looks gorgeous, show it off!

The problem is, most high res footage isn't of famous players doing the crazy stuff that will REALLY show off the game...

Top Bottom