• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

Blimblim said:
According to ******, who's usually well informed about Sega stuff:

[12:41] Ali: Secret VF5 for 360 presentation in Japan for Japanese press only
[12:41] Ali: next friday
[12:41] Ali: same version as PS3 release
[12:41] Ali: Version B
[12:41] Ali: More play modes and extras then PS3 version
[12:42] Ali: will see Japanese release

uh oh.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
why would new modes and extras in the 360 version cause bloodshed, or even surprise? that's typical when a game is ported to another console after a period of exclusivity.

drohne said:
why would new modes and extras in the 360 version cause bloodshed, or even surprise? that's typical when a game is ported to another console after a period of exclusivity.

And they could easily make those downloadable for the PS3 later on.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
drohne said:

I think he was referring to how upset Sony fans got when their favorite exclusive was announced to be non-exclusive. You know, the whole 40-people-banned-in-one-thread thing. Or did you miss that?

stotch

Banned
vf5 designer diary here: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/755/755378p1.html

The game design team consists of myself and four other members. To overcome the challenge, we met and played Evo over and over until we found a better way for the player to experience the Quest Mode. Finally, we decided to raise the bar by making it a more realistic game arcade. So, with Virtua Fighter 5, you'll be able to visit all the arcades from the start. You can go to various game parlors freely without having to win a championship in each location. We thought this would be interesting for the player since it allows you to visit all the arcades, which is different than how Virtua Fighter 4 Evo's Quest Mode worked.

We also added some Virtua Fighter cabinets in the arcades in the Quest Mode. These are rather important and unique to the game. Once you are in the parlors, you are able to fight against any opponent you chose. Players can choose competitors that are weaker, stronger or the same rank. It really depends on what kind of player you are. We wanted to keep it up to the player rather than choose for them. However, it's important to note that the player that defeated you will always stay in the same cabinet. Therefore, to progress further throughout the mode, you will want to return to that cabinet to try to beat that opponent. This way you are able to continue to try to beat that opponent rather than wait to randomly see him at another location. With Virtua Fighter 5, you will notice there are many more opponents than there were in Evo or other Virtua Fighter games. You can visit up to seven different arcades within the Quest Mode and you are able to choose the level game parlor that you wish. For example, a high level parlor or one with a lot of beginners, etc.

nothing too cool, but...yeah

it's actually a good aproach for Quest mode. Right of the bat if you are playing with a character that you are solid and strong with... you dont ned to grind your way through the weaklings for hours and just towards the intermediate and expert opponents instead.

same thing with characters that your new with and need more reasonable opponents to spar with, going for the easyer opponents to practice on

and in the end, you want to unlock all the costumes for all characters, hopefully the grind of unlocking stuff wont be as long as VF4Evo

Has anyone been able to confirm whether any PS2 peripherals (eg Virtua Stick) work on a PS3 via an adapter? This would be a lifrsaver in the event there are any issues getting hold of a the PS3 stick on time.

ThirdEye

Blimblim said:
According to ******, who's usually well informed about Sega stuff:

[12:41] Ali: Secret VF5 for 360 presentation in Japan for Japanese press only
[12:41] Ali: next friday
[12:41] Ali: same version as PS3 release
[12:41] Ali: Version B
[12:41] Ali: More play modes and extras then PS3 version
[12:42] Ali: will see Japanese release
What happened for this Friday thing

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
They should include all the previous virtua fighters on the disc like namco did with Tekken 5. It's not like they dont have the space.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
ThirdEye said:
What happened for this Friday thing

It was a ruse so that I would attend the going away party that I said I didn't want:lol .... I was leaving Tokyo to move to Osaka, and some of the Japan GAFers told me that there was a Friday event held by Microsoft to show off the 360 rev of VF5. They knew I couldn't say no to it :p

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Bad_Boy said:
They should include all the previous virtua fighters on the disc like namco did with Tekken 5. It's not like they dont have the space.

If Sega did that, they couldn't sell them through XBLA/PSN...

ant1532

Banned
Damn, I really can't wait for this. I've been hella playing VF4 getting ready but damn... I wish it wasn't so jaggy on PS3. But at least it's going to make me really appreciate those VF5 graphics. Can't wait.

gkryhewy

travisbickle said:
So yeah, you think the "Manager and Director" for Sega Virtua Fighter is lying.

Someone with a title like that would never, ever allow marketing to cloud their technical conversations.

agent069

Banned
Will it be possible to play it with a PS2 arcade stick? The PS3 is expensive enough, I don't want to buy an arcade stick too! But VF with a pad is an heresy :(

Bebpo

Banned
agent069 said:
Will it be possible to play it with a PS2 arcade stick? The PS3 is expensive enough, I don't want to buy an arcade stick too! But VF with a pad is an heresy :(

Yes. Get an Elecom adapater or the upcoming one from Nyko.

i'll be receiving two elecom adpators from Japan and I will be receiving two PS2-PS3 adapters from buygame2.com

i will post full impressions when i get them

I just watched the new preview up on Gametrailers, my goodness does it have me pumped. Either they put a ton of new stuff in, or I missed a whole lot in VF4 Evo.

I'm going to be waiting on the 360 version, but it's going to be a long, tough wait.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Got to play it over the weekend. Not much to say except its probably the best looking game I've ever seen. El Blaze is awesome too. Cant wait to play more.

kenta

Has no PEINS
haunts said:
Got to play it over the weekend. Not much to say except its probably the best looking game I've ever seen. El Blaze is awesome too. Cant wait to play more.
I haven't played a VF since VF2 was first in arcades but I plan on using El Blaze when I pick this up. Is he a good character for beginners?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
kenta said:
I haven't played a VF since VF2 was first in arcades but I plan on using El Blaze when I pick this up. Is he a good character for beginners?

I personally felt he was real easy to pick up, but like any other character in the series, he has a ton of depth im sure. He was much more easier to get into than Eileen imo. the thing is, I was playing on pad so I didnt get too much into the move list cause I cant really do a lot of stuff on pad. but yeah, as far as a pick up and play character, El Blaze was a blast. He is fast, has some nice looking combos and his throws are awesome to watch esp on larger characters. :)

I also played a lot of Goh since he is my main (i know i know, I wont win any tourneys) and he seems to have some new moves as well. He has this roll move in particular that kept coming out. I dont think that was in VF4, but i never played Final Tuned and I know he got some new moves in that.

I need a stick and more time in training mode for this game. It did seem really responsive though even on pad. I read on IGN that they sped up the game a little bit. I dunno if this is true or not but looking back it did seem a little faster paced than VF4.

kenta

Has no PEINS
haunts said:
I personally felt he was real easy to pick up, but like any other character in the series, he has a ton of depth im sure. He was much more easier to get into than Eileen imo. the thing is, I was playing on pad so I didnt get too much into the move list cause I cant really do a lot of stuff on pad. but yeah, as far as a pick up and play character, El Blaze was a blast. He is fast, has some nice looking combos and his throws are awesome to watch esp on larger characters. :)
Excellent, exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. Who would you suggest picking up once I feel comfortable with El Blaze? I keep hearing about Kage but I don't know where he sits in terms of difficulty

haunts

Bacon of Hope
kenta said:
Excellent, exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you. Who would you suggest picking up once I feel comfortable with El Blaze? I keep hearing about Kage but I don't know where he sits in terms of difficulty

I think Kage is awesome although I am really no good with him. I have seen people whip serious ass with him. I dunno what level he is, but I dont think he is really a beginner character.

Brad Burns and Jacky are pretty easy to pick up if you ask me.

edit: Oh yeah, Lau Chan is easy to pick up imo too. He has an easy launcher (df + p+K I think) that will launch people into combo even if they are crouching blocking.

I personally like playing Goh. I like his play style a lot and although he isn't top tier, when you get on a roll with him and are just throwing the other dude around like a rag doll, its great to watch. He also has counter moves that link/combo into throws. Its a real satisfying feeling to counter hit THEN toss the son of a bitch to the ground. :)

Kage is a really good character with some really nice juggles that start off with that wicked mean kick in the air. He's one of my faves.

As for Jacky, he seems to have gained more depth in VF5. I didn't play it too much when I was in Japan, but it was definitely a welcome change for Jacky where his moves didn't seem to leave him open as much as before. His counter was really useful too.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Also, this game convinced me to get a HDTV. I really cant imagine playing it on anything else. The movies and screen shots do not do it justice.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
B000IONGWW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V34052381_.jpg

Did Sega make a mistake and give the US a better cover?

Now will there be any pre-order bonuses for the NA version?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
donkey show said:
If you ever get a chance to play it in the arcade, you'd feel the same way too. Those Lindbergh HD cabinets are so beautiful.

Any pics of the cabs by any chance?

Speaking of which, I hear they are getting a cab in LA, but no word on one anywhere in the bay area.. I know the Metreon arcade isnt getting one, but not sure about the Golflands around here..

Anyone have any idea on where the arcade machine will show up in the states?

they did the right thing with El Blaze and Eileen as new characters.

VF4 and VF4evo had intermediate to expert level characters added that may have detracted new players to play as those new poster characters. (Lei Fei: stance changing heavy,. Vanessa: two characters in one, changed in Evo,. Brad: intermediate level, easy to pick just learn the sway notion,. Goh: not hard to learn but not easy to apply either)

yup, El Blaze and Eileen are great additions to help counter ballance the VF4 and VF4E entries of intermediate and expert characters.

kenta said:

Kage is a dirty little bitch. He's dead easy to use and has a bunch of moves that do like 40%.

I hate Pai and her 50% pppk while we're at it, too.

ant1532 said:
Damn, I really can't wait for this. I've been hella playing VF4 getting ready but damn... I wish it wasn't so jaggy on PS3. But at least it's going to make me really appreciate those VF5 graphics. Can't wait.

Are you talking about VF4 or VF5?

Top Bottom