• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Virtua Fighter 5 Thread

SaitoH

Srider said:
Actually, the commentary is automated in the arcade version when you save the replay.

Oh, so it's a VF.TV thing, and if so, is it something added since the last version?

KTallguy

Banned
The commentary works like this. VF.tv will broadcast hit matches of the day in your arcade or around the country (Japan). You can watch them on a big screen in the arcade, with commentary, rankings, etc.

Also, you can record a match and download it, and request commentary. The commentary is not generated on the fly as the match is being played, it's actually added on after.

Crazy arcade stuff that I wish could exist here but never will :(

Srider

Banned
stotch said:
i found this on http://virtuafighter.com/. new vids
are added daily and old ones removed due to some upload limit or something
http://kakomubi.zenno.info/sn/upload.html?1165186957

virtuafighter.com is being updated right now and the forum is still in beta stage. Should be much more eye pleasing when it's done.

The kakomubi site is a private Japanese upload bbs hosting vids from random players around Japan. It's not high level play most of the time, but clips are added daily for anyone looking to get some fix for their VF addiction.

Once the PS3 version hits, we'll be able to upload the replay files to the internet thanks to the beauty of the PS3 flash memory support. There will be plenty of choice replays once the western VF players get their hands on the home version.

Agent X

KTallguy said:
The commentary works like this. VF.tv will broadcast hit matches of the day in your arcade or around the country (Japan). You can watch them on a big screen in the arcade, with commentary, rankings, etc.

Also, you can record a match and download it, and request commentary. The commentary is not generated on the fly as the match is being played, it's actually added on after.

Crazy arcade stuff that I wish could exist here but never will :(

That commentary feature is very interesting. How is the quality of the commentary? I wonder if they'd implement this for saved replays in the PlayStation 3 version of the game?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
OokieSpookie said:
What was censored?

Vanessa's clothing was censored by SoA... to make it less risque.

And most of the videos released on the net have been player created via Sega's VF.net, which is why they aren't super high res.

Captain N

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who can't wait for the US version and will be picking up the Japanese copy instead?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
VF5 is officially 1080p now? nice.

I'll be picking this up next month for sure. (1080p or not)

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
AndriaSang said:
I wonder if the Xbox 360 version will have 1080p as well.

Be sure and as at the thing later this week, Reno.

The 360 would scale it to 1080p at any rate...but if the PS3 has 1080p, I imagine the 360 version would too. Remember, Lindbergh is significantly weaker than both consoles, so there should be plenty of resources left for AM2 to do 1080p.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Fatghost said:
The 360 would scale it to 1080p at any rate...but if the PS3 has 1080p, I imagine the 360 version would too. Remember, Lindbergh is significantly weaker than both consoles, so there should be plenty of resources left for AM2 to do 1080p.
Scaling to 1080p is a bit different, you know...

I'll be curious to see if the 360 version does end up supporting 1080p, though. Is AM2 handling the port? Virtua Tennis 3 is 1080p on PS3 (AM2 port) while the Sumo Digital 360 port of VT3 is limited to 720p. If AM2 handles VF5 on both machines, perhaps they will both be 1080p?

ok so while PS3 VF5 is in higher resolution than the arcade, are the actual graphics as good?

the Nvidia GPU in PS3 is less powerful than the GPU in Linbergh in some areas (less fillrate, lower graphics bandwidth) more powerful in other areas (more pixel-shader performance, more cashe)

but the biggest difference (aside from the CPU: Pentium4 vs CELL) is the amount of RAM

Lindbergh: 1280 MB ( 1024 MB main + 256 MB graphics)
PS3: 512 MB ( 256 MB main + 256 MB graphics)

so i would imagine that some things don't look as good on PS3, while other things look better.

still, this should be a far far closer translation than VF4 and VF4 Evo on PS2. which is great!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Question:
Is this discussion limited to the PS3 version because the 360 version will be different (in a significant way)?

Jim

Considering that the PS3 version of Virtua Tennis is also 1080p, I can't say it was unexpected, if true. Same architecture.

dark10x

TheIkariWarrior said:
ok so while PS3 VF5 is in higher resolution than the arcade, are the actual graphics as good?

the Nvidia GPU in PS3 is less powerful than the GPU in Linbergh in some areas (less fillrate, lower graphics bandwidth) more powerful in other areas (more pixel-shader performance, more cashe)

but the biggest difference (aside from the CPU: Pentium4 vs CELL) is the amount of RAM

so i would imagine that some things don't look as good on PS3, while other things look better.

still, this should be a far far closer translation than VF4 and VF4 Evo on PS2. which is great!
I doubt fillrate and bandwidth is an issue if they are supporting 1080p.

As for ram, that might be an issue, but we'll just have to see. All reports have suggested that it looks virtually identical. Any differences appear to be subtle and will require fine comparisons between the two to detect.

Pimpbaa

TheIkariWarrior said:

The bandwidth to memory is not important as you think. Games are becoming bottlenecked by shader performance not memory bandwith. That's why a Geforce 7600GT is better than a Geforce 6800 for example. The RSX (which is much better thana 7600GT) absolutely destroys the GPU in Linbergh since the Linbergh only has a Geforce 6800. The biggest issue is what you mention (the amount of ram).

Dante

TheIkariWarrior said:

People who have seen it first hand said it's exact.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm guessing it's just upscaled internally because of the PS3 scaling issue.

I highly doubt they went back and redid all the textures from the arcade in a higher resolution.

Pimpbaa

Bebpo said:

I highly doubt they went back and redid all the textures from the arcade in a higher resolution.

What does the resolution that the game is rendered at have to do with the resolution of the textures?

dark10x

Bebpo said:

Running the game at 1920x1080 has nothing to do with the assets used within the game. That seems like an odd comment coming from you. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, so if you have a native 1080p game using all 720p textures/assets...it would look different than a 720p game scaled to a 1080p set?

I was under the impression that the only thing differing native and scaled is that native has textures done at the native resolution, hence more detail and better looking than scaled.

dark10x

Bebpo said:
Wait, so if you have a native 1080p game using all 720p textures/assets...it would look different than a 720p game scaled to a 1080p set?

I was under the impression that the only thing differing native and scaled is that native has textures done at the native resolution, hence more detailed.
No no no...

Think about it like this...

You can run a PC game at all sorts of resolutions and see a difference, right? You can run PC games at resolutions ranging from 640x480 to stuff well above 1920x1080. The selection of resolutions really isn't going to have an impact on the textures and assets, however. PC games are not designed with one single resolution in mind and benefit from increases. Same deal here.

Scaling will not produce image quality as sharp as a native resolution. If you have a 1920x1200 PC display and run a game at 1280x800, it's not going to look as sharp as a game running at 1920x1200. Even the best scalers can't match actual resolution gains with lower resolution material.

Pimpbaa

Bebpo said:

I was under the impression that the only thing differing native and scaled is that native has textures done at the native resolution, hence more detail and better looking than scaled.

Textures are not bound by any specific resolution. They can be any size you want (within the texture size limits of the GPU). You can have n64 quality textures at 1080p or super high quality textures at 320x200. They are independant and have nothing to do with each other. Games being run at native or scaled on a display does not touch the textures at all, since it hasn't nothing to do with that.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
No no no...

You can run a PC game at all sorts of resolutions and see a difference, right? You can run PC games at resolutions ranging from 640x480 to stuff well above 1920x1080. The selection of resolutions really isn't going to have an impact on the textures and assets, however. PC games are not designed with one single resolution in mind and benefit from increases. Same deal here.

Scaling will not produce image quality as sharp as a native resolution. If you have a 1920x1200 PC display and run a game at 1280x800, it's not going to look as sharp as a game running at 1920x1200. Even the best scalers can't match actual resolution gains with lower resolution material.

Hmmm...I always thought PC games had different texture packs for each resolution and loaded the appropriate one when you started the game.

I'm still a bit confused over this. So why does a 640x480 texture look better at 1080p than 480p? Aren't the amount of pixels that make up the texture the same and the 1080p will just 4x each pixel to fill the new empty space between the old ones?

dark10x

Bebpo said:
Hmmm...I always thought PC games had different texture packs for each resolution and loaded the appropriate one when you started the game.

I'm still a bit confused over this. So why does a 640x480 texture look better at 1080p than 480p? Aren't the amount of pixels that make up the texture the same and the 1080p will just 4x each pixel to fill the new empty space between the old ones?

Let's say you have a 3072x2048 photograph. You can view this photo at 640x480 or 1920x1080. There is nothing changing within the photo itself, but at a higher resolution, you can resolve finer details.

With a game, the hard polygon edges can become sharper and cleaner at higher resolutions regardless of textures. You can play an N64 game at 1600x1200 using an emulator and edges become sharper, but nothing else changes. You can play Quake 2 at the same resolution as well.

Screen resolution has nothing to do with texture resolution, though higher resolution textures best appreciated through a high resolution.

If you have a 1024x1024 texture on a wall, you can view that wall at any resolution. The extra resolution comes in handy as you move away and the wall becomes smaller as the details can still be appreciated. Thing of a complex character model with lots of geometric objects (such as clothing items, hair, their eyes, etc.). The same model can be viewed at 640x480, but as you move away from that model, you begin to lose detail as there are not enough pixels present to display all of that model detail at a distance. At 1920x1080, you can resolve much of the fine detail at a much greater distance.

Not really a technical example, I know, but it makes sense from a common sense point of view.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks, I think I get it.

So a 1080p VF5 would mean you'd be able to resolve more details on the character than you would at 720p even if it's the same model with the same textures.

dark10x

Bebpo said:

So a 1080p VF5 would mean you'd be able to resolve more details on the character than you would at 720p even if it's the same model with the same textures.
Correct. It would also mean less aliasing as there are more pixels in the scene. You'd basically see a sharper, cleaner picture.

Scaling can't provide the same results. 1280x720 scaled to 1920x1080 is still based on 1280x720 pixels.

RavenFox

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:

Once again your comparing a closed box beast RSX to a 6800? You forget Cell + RSX = the impossible. RSX is not less powerful than a 6800 even in SLI mode. My my my hear we go with the ram count again. Can 512 of Rambus out do 1024DDR? Go ahead think about it. Not saying there is 512 Rambus total in PS3 I was just making a point. PS3 is specificaly made to handle work like this. Yes there are games like for instance Crysis that will benefit from the modern PC but this is not the case.
Also the PS3 pics look just as good if not better than the arcade.

and 1080p support :-0

KTallguy

Banned
VF5's costumes and such are very detailed compared to the last game, and dare I say, tekken. The extra rez will definitely help!

Jim

Bebpo said:

Off-topic, and don't know if you've seen it previously, but GameWatch's article showcasing differences in display modes, 480i - 1080p is really interesting: http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20061218/ggl.htm#ps

ggl01.jpg

A lot of other pics, mainly comparing RR7 in various resolutions there.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
dark10x said:
Scaling to 1080p is a bit different, you know...

I'll be curious to see if the 360 version does end up supporting 1080p, though. Is AM2 handling the port? Virtua Tennis 3 is 1080p on PS3 (AM2 port) while the Sumo Digital 360 port of VT3 is limited to 720p. If AM2 handles VF5 on both machines, perhaps they will both be 1080p?

I know scaling is different. :)

But VF5 shouldn't be taxing the PS3 very much and it shouldn't tax the X360 much either. AM2 is handling the X360 version in house too BTW. I can't think of a good reason that a 360 port coming 6 months later won't support 1080p.

Pallaris

Unless they wont bother to tile. And if they don't you might get worse IQ (<720p upscaled + AA). Still the 360 version might receive a revision to the fighting engine and possibly extra play modes.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
According to ******, who's usually well informed about Sega stuff:

[12:41] Ali: Secret VF5 for 360 presentation in Japan for Japanese press only
[12:41] Ali: next friday
[12:41] Ali: same version as PS3 release
[12:41] Ali: Version B
[12:41] Ali: More play modes and extras then PS3 version
[12:42] Ali: will see Japanese release

Ceb

Blimblim said:
According to ******, who's usually well informed about Sega stuff:

[12:41] Ali: Secret VF5 for 360 presentation in Japan for Japanese press only
[12:41] Ali: next friday
[12:41] Ali: same version as PS3 release
[12:41] Ali: Version B
[12:41] Ali: More play modes and extras then PS3 version
[12:42] Ali: will see Japanese release

Should probably have been in a separate thread to avoid bloodshed.

Top Bottom