• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official WarioWare Touched thread!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I refuse to recognize games that have punctuation in the title :)

Anyway, I just picked up my copy, so I thought I'd make this thread before giving it a go. In the meantime, here's a link to the official site:

http://www.warioware.biz/touched/launch/index.html

Haters be damned, I'm sure its an experience at least comparable to the original WW, which I loved.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i saw it in target and had to keep on walking. maybe when i get paid friday...

but goddamn was it tempting

Drakken

Woohoo! I've been waiting for this day for a loooooong time.

I got it about an hour ago, but I had some things to care of first. Now, it's time to play. I imagine I won't be playing any other games for awhile.

Do any of you like to compete? As with the original WarioWare, I'll be competing for high scores on Cyberscore with this one. It would be cool if a bunch of us WarioWare fans could compete. :)

Nester

Got my copy this morning. All of the game stores didn't get it in yet, and at a last resort effort I checked Circuit City. They didn't have it on the shelf but the guy behind the counter chased after me as I was leaving asking if Wario Ware was what I was looking for.

Pretty nice of him, he just didn't put it out on the shelves yet and figured it was probably what I was looking for.

So far I'm loving it, but I'll get plenty of playtime in later tonight.

Do any of you like to compete? As with the original WarioWare, I'll be competing for high scores on Cyberscore with this one. It would be cool if a bunch of us WarioWare fans could compete.

I'll be posting on Cyberscore as well, WarioWare is one game I can actually swing with for high scores.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I am about 6 characters in now. It is good, but the people that say the mini games are pretty much the same are spot on. To much drag and poke for my liking.

Story lines also need to be cut in half length wise. They drag on forever with no real point to the plot at all....Short and sweet Nintendo, short and sweet.

GDJustin

Alright, played just a LITTLE bit... and my fears from all the negative comments have already been erased. YES there's a lot of repetition in the games, but for those of you wondering, it seems to be the same style repetition as the original Wario Ware.

For example, you'll tap balloons to pop them, tap holes to patch them, tap slug's eyes to close them. These games seem like the "press A at the right time" titles in the original. Yes they were probably like 50 of those "tap A" games in the original, but there was a LOT of unique ones too.

Touched seems like its the exact same way. I think the repetition has been exxagerated. In Wario's levels alone a couple of the more memorable games include doing basic math (7+2 or 84-81), and then typing the total on a calculator. In another, you have to spell out a word like BAD or CAT, by tapping letters that are flying towards you. A third variation has you tapping 3 things in the proper order. It seemed to me that in Wario's games, there was a healthy variation; at least equally as healthy as the original Wario Ware.

If you felt the original was repetitive, this will be the same way, but they mix up the "poking" and "slicing" very well, just like the original, in my opinion.

DHGamer

Just a heads-up for anyone that cares. Once again Nintendo gives us 1 whopping save slot. Wanna play with your wife? Buy 2 copies.

Thanks again big N.

Yeah, I get paid of Friday too...And I'm definitely picking it up. I love the first one on GBA. It was the first game I played on my SP.

swoon

it's really fantastic. the later characters have a better mix of games as well as some fun minigames and of course the best part of wario ware games the megamix.

bjork

If it remained unchanged from the import, the last character's boss stage is the strangest thing ever...

you go into a huge nostril and make Wario dodge objects as he goes deeper, only to find another nose inside the nostril. Cut all the hair off the nose, and it sneezes out a treasure chest with a poop inside. Then it sneezes again and the nostril floods, and you guide Wario outside, where the poop lands on his head.

Bizarre. Just plan odd.

But cool, either way. :)

My TRU did not get Wario Ware today but managed to get Star fucking Fox instead. The only reason I don't go elsewhere is because I have a $10 TRU coupon. Those fuckers.

0wn3d

I'm picking up my copy tomorrow. Can't wait!! :D

Lets do a high scores thread similiar to the original GBA WW.

Ironclad

0wn3d said:
I'm picking up my copy tomorrow. Can't wait!! :D

Lets do a high scores thread similiar to the original GBA WW.
That's a good idea. I'm taking the shrink wrap off my copy as I type so I will have scores up in a short while.

i picked up Touched right before i went to get my hair braided...

i had paid in full at their $39.99+Tax price, and the official price was $34.99, so i put the balance towards a Lumines reserve...

so i read the instruction manual thru while waiting on the Q train...

i finished reading the manual right when the train pulled in...

played it on the train till i got to my stop...

played it while i was waiting in the salon...

got my hair done, ordered food, played some more while waiting, ate...

hopped back on the train and played some more...

some guy on the train asked me how it was...

i repiled with a smile, "fun"....

yes folks, it's official,

TOUCHING IS GOOD

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
Just got back from picking it up. I'm sicker than a dog so I haven't had a chance to play it much, but I went through 5 characters already. It seems pretty easy so far, but a lot of fun. Not as shocking as the first time I played WW, lots of stuff is familiar. I'm sure there will be plenty of suprises.

Definitely a solid title, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it amazing.

LowTecky

I called 4 stores before I found a copy in stock. They all had the game but only for those who preordered. It's exactly what I expected sofar. Almost every minigame puts a smile on my face, so i can't complain :)

TheDiave said:
I'd be playing it right now if any of the stores in this shitty little state (New Hampshire) actually got it.
I think we're having the same problem in Norman, Oklahoma. Our game stores actually got Star Fox just fine, but failed to get Wario.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
You guys should have ordered it in mid January when EB had it for $34.99 with free 1 day shipping :D

Got mine today at 11 am :)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
So wait, they still want more for Zoo Keeper than WW?

Swat

A Hero's Hero!
For Canadians, remember to go to Future Shop to get it for $39.99. I made the mistake of getting it from EB for $49.99 - but I traded in a game to lower the cost, and didn't want to make the trip back to haggle the price down.

I'm constantly suprised at how much more EB charges than the competition.

mattfabs

anyone notice how odd the mini game is where you have to put out the flame with a swinging body that looks like hes peeing?

GDJustin

bjork said:
If it remained unchanged from the import, the last character's boss stage is the strangest thing ever...

you go into a huge nostril and make Wario dodge objects as he goes deeper, only to find another nose inside the nostril. Cut all the hair off the nose, and it sneezes out a treasure chest with a poop inside. Then it sneezes again and the nostril floods, and you guide Wario outside, where the poop lands on his head.

Bizarre. Just plan odd.

But cool, either way. :)

In the American version its just a bar of gold that comes out

Anyway, I cleared the entire game, just now :(

Well... SORTA cleared it. You know what I mean. I haven't gotten any high scores or anything, I just made it through the story mode. Anyway, I don't see all the repetition importers were bitching about. Microgames do repeat, but not anymore than in the last game. The only MAJOR offender is mike, and his mic games. Literally all of them but like 2 just involve... blowing into the mic. No variation. Otherwise the microgame variation has been great.

Drakken

GDJustin said:
In the American version its just a bar of gold that comes out

In the Japanese version of WarioWare GBA, I think the final treasure was poo as well.

GDJustin said:
Anyway, I cleared the entire game, just now :(

Well... SORTA cleared it. You know what I mean. I haven't gotten any high scores or anything, I just made it through the story mode. Anyway, I don't see all the repetition importers were bitching about. Microgames do repeat, but not anymore than in the last game. The only MAJOR offender is mike, and his mic games. Literally all of them but like 2 just involve... blowing into the mic. No variation. Otherwise the microgame variation has been great.

My thoughts exactly. I was just going to post the same exact thing. I "completed" the game, and I don't have any problems with repetition like some early reviewers were complaining about, except for Mike's games. Those are gonna be a pain when trying to get high scores. I'm certainly not going to keep blowing just to get 999. :-/

The unlockables don't seem to be too great this time. No cool games like Dr. Wario, Pyoro, Fly Swatter, etc. There's
Pong Ping
, though! :lol

sasimirobot

What do you get after all "flowers"?
Dont forget spoiler tags!

A funny thing to do is show someone the bubble blowing app. and dont tell then how you did it. Gets them everytime...

Drakken

sasimirobot said:
What do you get after all "flowers"?
Dont forget spoiler tags!

Oh boy, I forgot about that. I'll hopefully be able to get all the microgames and "pass" them tonight. If I do, I'll be sure to say what the unlockable is (with spoiler tags, of course).

GDJustin

Regarding flowers:

The JP version didn't give ANYTHING for getting all flowers, according to some GAFFERS

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, I just blasted through the main game... a few thoughts.

1) The game is fun. Lots of fun. I'm not sure what all the complaints were about. I didn't notice the repetition being overly annoying.

2) You can skip through intros after the first playthrough, even if you fail to pass the minigames. Weren't folks complaining about being forced to watch Mona's intro multiple times?

3) The game feels shorter/smaller than WarioWare, but I'm not sure why. I blasted through the main game in about 3-4 hours, and now I'm working on the flowers... it seems like the original game lasted about as long for the standard mode, but it felt longer. I can't really explain it.

4) The vocals in Ashley's level are a nice touch. I'm hoping for a sound test.

Some of the unlockables are nice, like
the mini Mario Paint game
... but after playing all of 9-Volts games, I find myself really hoping for some sort of "light gun" unlockable game. Duck Hunt DS, Hogan's Alley DS, etc..

Ironclad

Wellington said:
Man I am HOOKED. The game OWNS. The train ride to work tomorrow will be so much fun. :D
I agree. And to think that Twisted! is coming out next month. I am going to keep them both in my DS for the longest time.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Ironclad_Ninja said:
I agree. Andn to think that Twisted! is coming out next month. I am going to keep them both in my DS for the longest time.

Oh... shit.

God I hate the "Swat!" minigame. I fear for the safety of the bottom DS screen. :(

Drakken

DavidDayton said:
3) The game feels shorter/smaller than WarioWare, but I'm not sure why. I blasted through the main game in about 3-4 hours, and now I'm working on the flowers... it seems like the original game lasted about as long for the standard mode, but it felt longer. I can't really explain it.

4) The vocals in Ashley's level are a nice touch. I'm hoping for a sound test.

3) 3-4 hours? It was only about an hour and a half for me. Not trying to be "superior" or something; just saying.

4) Yeah, the vocals are nice. It's interesting having one continuous song play instead of a separate one for each minigame.

Speaking of which, the music, though obviously odd, is well-done, in terms of fitting with the microgame it goes with.

Ironclad

Wellington said:
Oh... shit.

God I hate the "Swat!" minigame. I fear for the safety of the bottom DS screen. :(
It seems like every crack in the glass is another crack on your touch screen isn't it. The sound of breaking glass as you put the stylus to the touch screen is gut-wrenching.

Drakken said:
The unlockables don't seem to be too great this time. No cool games like Pyoro...

Wrong!

The vocals in Ashley's level are a nice touch. I'm hoping for a sound test.

Not a full sound test, but you can unlock a playable 'record' of her song.

Also, to you guys looking to flower every single stage in hopes of unlocking something rad, don't bother. I spent several nights doing so and was very disappointed with the prize.

TheDiave

Banned
i saw it in target and had to keep on walking. maybe when i get paid friday...
Yeah, after I saw no sign of the game to buy, I found it in their DS (a demo or whatever). I was fucking mad. Can you say slap in the face?

This goes to show how wrong Gamespot was.

I got it yesterday, played for 6 or so hours... I couldn't let it go. I played for an hour on the bus today, and another hour in class. This is what the DS needed. I need to unlock just one more mini game for mike.

GDJustin

Couple of my best scores:

Harcore (white bear- 1 life): 37

Big Hurl minigame: 168

Alcibiades

I'm going to get this game for sure if I can find it for less than $30...

the only problem is I don't think my Sears even carries games...

Drakken

Good news! I just added this to Cyberscore, so we can all now submit our scores there. The game can be found here.

I'm missing one or two souvenirs, one of Mike's games, one of Warioman's games, and possibly one mix. Other than that, everything should be there. If anyone who has the stuff I'm missing can let me know what it is, then I'll add it to CS.

Here's my first decent score:

Wario - 66

EDIT: Whoops. I have to remember that it's not a good idea to leave the submit window open for a long time and then not check the thread again before posting. :p

SpeedRazor - What's your CS username?

GDJustin

Drakken said:
Good news! I just added this to Cyberscore, so we can all now submit our scores there. The game can be found here.

I'm missing one or two souvenirs, one of Mike's games, one of Warioman's games, and possibly one mix. Other than that, everything should be there. If anyone who has the stuff I'm missing can let me know what it is, then I'll add it to CS.

Here's my first decent score:

Wario - 66

EDIT: Whoops. I have to remember that it's not a good idea to leave the submit window open for a long time and then not check the thread again before posting. :p

Drakken, you should paste that entire list here, as a template. We'll get our own hiscores going in this thread. Someone can just copy/paste it replacing the 0s with their scores. Then when it needs to be updated someone just copies and pastes the last person to post the table and inserts their hiscores when applicable. I guess I can put up the blank, if you like.

Drakken

Ok. I doubt we would want to have a list of all 180+ microgames, so should we just have the levels, mixes, and souvenirs?

*List contains minor spoilers!*

9-Volt - 39 (Drakken)
Ashley - 37 (Drakken)
Dr. Crygor - 35 (Drakken)
James T. - 34 (Drakken)
Jamie T. - 31 (Drakken)
Jimmy T. - 32 (Drakken)
Kat - 38 (Drakken)
Mike - 37 (Drakken)
Mona - 31 (Drakken)
Wario - 66 (Drakken)
Warioman - 33 (Drakken)

Gnarly Mix - 29 (Drakken)
Hardcore Mix - 37 (GDJustin)
Monster Megamix - 33 (Drakken)

Air Dude -
Big Hurl - 168 (GDJustin)
Juggle Boy -
Orbit Ball - 2200 (Drakken)
Pyoro T -
Snore Rope -

Nester

Drakken said:

Same as here, SpeedRazor. Only thing I've submitted to so far is Zoo Keeper, but I plan on being active in the WarioWare Touched! scores.

You guys are going to be seriously pissed when you get WarioWare: Twisted and realize that Nintendo made you wait FOREVER for a game that is so much better than WarioWare: Touched.

I get it that WarioWare (the original) had repitition. I've played Twisted and Touched. Twisted has it too, but Touched is a serious offender. It repeats, but it seems to do it MORE than the other two games do. It feels really stale. I think it's because there are less general game ideas. If there were 10 basic types of games in WarioWare (obviously there were way more), there are only 5 basic types in Touched.

StrikerObi said:
You guys are going to be seriously pissed when you get WarioWare: Twisted and realize that Nintendo made you wait FOREVER for a game that is so much better than WarioWare: Touched.

I get it that WarioWare (the original) had repitition. I've played Twisted and Touched. Twisted has it too, but Touched is a serious offender. It repeats, but it seems to do it MORE than the other two games do. It feels really stale. I think it's because there are less general game ideas. If there were 10 basic types of games in WarioWare (obviously there were way more), there are only 5 basic types in Touched.
Twisted must really be badass if it's going to make me pissed at Touched...

so far, i'm on day 2 and still think Touched is great!

Top Bottom