• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Worldwide VC, WiiWare, & DSiWare Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaweee said:
The only step down would have been the lack of mid-battle saves, but VC save states.
does it still have the combo attacks? I'm buying it tonight either way I am just curious.
jjasper said:
Now that we have the first one I am going to be hopelessly waiting for Tactics and 64:(
If 64 came out I'd pee myself. Hoping for any 64 games seems like a lost cause though.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
does it still have the combo attacks? I'm buying it tonight either way I am just curious.

Unfortunately no, combo attacks were an innovation of OB64. This doesn't mean you won't like OB though.

If 64 came out I'd pee myself.

Please don't. That isn't very sanitary.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
See, THIS is what I've wanted from the Virtual Console for ages. Awesome games that I never got to play when they were first released (and in this case extremely rare to boot!) that I've always wanted to play, but didn't want to spend atrocious amounts of money on eBay to play.

I understand Square-Enix makes more money remaking DQ and FF games and releasing them for full price than release them on the VC, so I won't go there. But there's so many other games they made back in the day that I've wanted to try.

Where's Illusion of Gaia?

Where's Secret of Evermore?

Also, I think Square-Enix USA is losing a huge opportunity to bring over games we didn't get in English the first time.

Where are the Romancing Saga games?

Where's Live A Live?

Where's Bahamut Lagoon?

Where's Treasure Hunter G?

WHERE THE FUCK IS SEIKEN DENSETSU 3???

Capndrake

Rlan said:
Capndrake, did you have ANY idea Family & Friends Party existed?
It was rated by the ESRB, PEGI and USK, and we contacted the developer, but they never responded, so we had no idea if it was WiiWare or not. Looks like shovelware anyway :p

Vargas

I should probably buy Ogre Battle. I didn't really understand the game when I bought it for the PS1 years ago. I never understood why I couldn't control my units in battle. Can anyone please be kind enough to explain the way battles flow in Ogre Battle?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Vargas said:
I should probably buy Ogre Battle. I didn't really understand the game when I bought it for the PS1 years ago. I never understood why I couldn't control my units in battle. Can anyone please be kind enough to explain the way battles flow in Ogre Battle?
It's a pretty standard SRPG. Each turn is broken up into your turn and the enemy's turn. On your turn you make all of your moves, setup everything you want, attack, etc. Then your turn is over and it's their turn. IIRC in the GBA games you could set a certain level of autonomy with the units, or take full control over them.. been a very long time though and I never played the SNES version.. but if you are familiar with any SRPGs since then (FF Tactics, Ogre Battle 64, even Fire Emblem to a large degree) then you'll be set on this.

Yaweee

Vargas said:

You have the big map of the region. Your units (comprised of one leader several recruits) are placed on the map and given commands. Your goal is to kill the enemy leader and take their capital.

Combat happens when an allied unit and enemy unit get too close. The actions of your party members are determined by several things:

1) What class they are (duh)
2) What position they are in, either in the form of different attacks, or a varying number of attacks. For example, Clerics heal from the back row, but exorcise from the front (that is true in both OBs, no?)
3) What AI you're set to determines who they target. Weakest (target the enemy with the least HP), Strongest (Most HP), Leader (duh), and I don't remember the last one. It's pretty easy to get your members to do what you want to do.

However, there are restraints on targeting. Short-ranged units can't attack back row enemies if another unit is in front of them, and you can't attack several columns laterally if there is another unit that is more exposed. Think of targeting as more of a probability cone influenced by the AI setting.

4) Once each member has used their attacks, the battle ends, and which ever group took the most damage losses, and is pushed back on the map screen.

Borghe is confused, don't listen to him (no offense). This is NOT a standard SRPG by any means, and is far different than either TO. It and OB64 are very similar, with the sequel being more refined but also more linear.

jjasper

borghe said:
It's a pretty standard SRPG. Each turn is broken up into your turn and the enemy's turn. On your turn you make all of your moves, setup everything you want, attack, etc. Then your turn is over and it's their turn. IIRC in the GBA games you could set a certain level of autonomy with the units, or take full control over them.. been a very long time though and I never played the SNES version.. but if you are familiar with any SRPGs since then (FF Tactics, Ogre Battle 64, even Fire Emblem to a large degree) then you'll be set on this.

It is different than that. All unit attacks are based on their location on the grid they will attack differently whether they are in the front or back and all attacks are predetermined before battle. the battle ends after the attack are finished and which ever squad delt most wins (unless it is a boss battle)

Jammy

Banned
I fucking LOVED Ogre Battle 64. Is the SNES game very similar? I shouldn't hesitate at all, should I? :D

Now I also really want Ogre Battle 64 up there. It's probably one of the few games I'd want to own twice.

Yaweee

Jammy said:
I fucking LOVED Ogre Battle 64. Is the SNES game very similar? I shouldn't hesitate at all, should I? :D

Now I also really want Ogre Battle 64 up there. It's probably one of the few games I'd want to own twice.

Yes, the SNES OB is very similar. The interface isn't quite as good, and the Chaos Frame system makes even less sense, but if you liked OB64 it's practically impossible to not like the original.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Holy shit, Ogre Battle! And here I thought I was actually going to get real life things done today....

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit! Ogre Battle hit?!
I have the PSOne version, but I'll buy this one just as a show of support, if nothing else!

Any chance that Atlus might let the N64 version pop up? That'd be... amazing.

botticus

Mejilan said:
Holy shit! Ogre Battle hit?!
I have the PSOne version, but I'll buy this one just as a show of support, if nothing else!

Any chance that Atlus might let the N64 version pop up? That'd be... amazing.
I'm sure hoping so eventually, since I sold my $10 cart for it... and because my used N64 is a piece of shit.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Fuck yeah Ogre Battle!

Too bad it's a blizzard out here and I can't run to the store to get a points card.

Conrad Link said:
Why can't we have both! ;(
Wait a week. Smash Bros. is coming March 9th from what I'm hearing.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it was coming back in February but my buddy is telling me that it was pushed from its original January release, into February and then into March because they wanted it to coincide with Brawl's 1 year anniversary.

Of course, Nintendo could pull a fast one but I am seriously doubting it in this case.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Sweet, Ogre Battle. :O This is a pretty awesome week
even though there's only one VC game.

Wii Will Rock U said:
Of course, Nintendo could pull a fast one but I am seriously doubting it in this case.

You're doubting Nintendo's capability to pull a fast one? Particularly regarding VC release dates, which they're already known for changing?

Johann

Vargas said:

If you are familiar with the Total War PC games, imagine the gameplay flipped upside down.

Instead of turn-based strategic gameplay on a overworld map and real-time gameplay for battles between armies, Ogre Battle has real-time gameplay on the strategic map and and turn-based gameplay for battles between units.

Instead of individually telling what each unit should do during the turn-based portion, you can give the group macro commands, such attacking the leader or the weakest enemy. You can also use Tarot Cards for powerful buffs/de-buffs.

Your unit attacks and spells depend on several factors, such as what units are in the group, the overall unit composition, and what positions your units are in. Most battles will end after each unit has acted.

B.K. said:
Which is the better version of March of the Black Queen, the SNES version or the Playstation version?

SNES by far. It has no load times. The PSX version has load times and ALLCAPS TEXT IN THE DIABLO FONT.

The one thing the PSX version had over the SNES was a midbattle save, but with VC savestates this is rendered moot.

Teknoman

588541_49891_front.jpg

Well this was quite a surprise.

Hope this means Person of Lordly Caliber (OB64) will show up eventually.

Volcynika

Teknoman said:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/588541_49891_front.jpg[img]

Well this was quite a surprise.

Hope this means Person of Lordly Caliber (OB64) will show up eventually.[/QUOTE]

If it does, I will buy the fuck out of that game.

Jiggy

Ogre Battle, the first and last real-time strategy game I truly enjoyed. (Including even Ogre Battle 64--that one felt too slow for me by comparison.)

Incidentally, out of the five Enix SNES games I wanted, this was the one I thought would never get released, but instead it beat Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, and EVO to the punch. It's not my favorite of these, but I'll take it!

B.K. said:
Which is the better version of March of the Black Queen, the SNES version or the Playstation version?
Let's just put it this way: the VC version will be the absolute best because it combines the strengths of each: it won't have the overworld slowdown that the PS1 version had on all maps with water (which is quite a number), but it will have the suspend feature that the SNES version sorely lacked.

B.K.

Dragona Akehi said:
SNES by far. It has no load times. The PSX version has load times and ALLCAPS TEXT IN THE DIABLO FONT.

I see. I've never played the game for more than 10 minutes, so I didn't know it was that bad.

Teknoman

jjasper said:
Same way that Star Wars was episode 4. The three games we got are just part of the overall story.

Well I guess that makes sense. Wonder if the series will ever return for Episodes 1-4.

Hobbun

RurouniZel said:
See, THIS is what I've wanted from the Virtual Console for ages. Awesome games that I never got to play when they were first released (and in this case extremely rare to boot!) that I've always wanted to play, but didn't want to spend atrocious amounts of money on eBay to play.

I understand Square-Enix makes more money remaking DQ and FF games and releasing them for full price than release them on the VC, so I won't go there. But there's so many other games they made back in the day that I've wanted to try.

Where's Illusion of Gaia?

Where's Secret of Evermore?

Also, I think Square-Enix USA is losing a huge opportunity to bring over games we didn't get in English the first time.

Where are the Romancing Saga games?

Where's Live A Live?

Where's Bahamut Lagoon?

Where's Treasure Hunter G?

WHERE THE FUCK IS SEIKEN DENSETSU 3???

I am not complaining about this week, Ogre Battle!

But oh god, this post exactly.

I want to see the Soul Blazer trilogy badly on the VC. Secret of Evermore would be great. I would love to see Seiken Denetsu III, but only if they localized it. Otherwise it would be pointless as I wouldn't understand a damn thing.

People couldn't be assed to translate the bits of text in the import Milon's adventure game for the SNES.

SD3 is completely out of the question. Especially since quite frankly if you don't have a guide or a translation handy(or know Japanese lolz) you will get nowhere.

Square/Enix could get more value out of a DS remake if they tried though...hmm.

Hobbun

Volcynika said:
If you don't want Soul Blazer, you're an awful person.

Are you referring to me? If so, I think you misunderstood my post, I want the Soul Blazer trilogy a great deal, especially Terranigma as it has never reached NA. They wouldn't even need to localize it as it did reach EU.

Volcynika

Hobbun said:
Are you referring to me? If so, I think you misunderstood my post, I want the Soul Blazer trilogy a great deal, especially Terranigma as it has never reached NA. They wouldn't even need to localize it as it did reach EU.

:lol

Nah, I just wanted to mention that since you brought it up!

Hobbun

PepsimanVsJoe said:
People couldn't be assed to translate the bits of text in the import Milon's adventure game for the SNES.

SD3 is completely out of the question. Especially since quite frankly if you don't have a guide or a translation handy(or know Japanese lolz) you will get nowhere.

Square/Enix could get more value out of a DS remake if they tried though...hmm.

Yeah, you're probably right. But I am just saying I don't even want to see SD3 on the NA VC unless it's localized. It would just be a big tease "See, we released it, it's right there!" But I wouldn't want to purchase it because I couldn't understand a fucking thing about the story.

Jiggy

I'd happily buy Seiken Densetsu 3 in Japanese and use a guide, but I suppose that's because I don't care about story in games. But yeah, it'll never show up.

Vargas said:
On the status screen, it shows two attacks per character with a number beside them: the top listed attack is what the character will use if in the front row, the bottom attack is what the character will use in the back row, and the number is how many times they'll use each in a single battle (more on that in a second). If you haven't seen a given attack in action before and can't tell from the name what it does, you'll probably have to test it exactly one time, but that's no particular trouble.

In general, if a character class looks like it's short-range (knights, hawkmen), it will probably attack more times in the front row, and if a character class looks like it's long-range (archers, mages), then it will attack more times in the back row. If it's a unit with both a melee and a long-range option, then typically the long-range attack will hit all enemies and be better for overall damage but worse at killing off any one individual enemy since you only have that limited number of attacks before the battle ends. (Typically. Some story characters like Rauny and Yushis do obscene damage with their long-range attacks--my Rauny could easily obliterate same-level enemy groups on her own.)

After all units have used their maximum number of attacks in a battle, the winner is decided by which one dealt more damage. The losing group is driven back quite a way from whatever position they were at on the overworld, which is pivotal since your whole goal is liberating the cities.

There's a lot more to the game than just understanding this much, but if I start on reputation, alignment, charisma, the influence of day and night on stats, and other things that aren't terribly necessary unless you want to shoot for the best ending straight away, then you just might go insane before even playing. :p

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Alright mid-battle suspend is all well and good but what if you die or otherwise lose the battle? Is it back to square one then?
Yeah, but honestly it's pretty hard to actually die or get your base taken over in Ogre Battle. The most frequent reason I restart a map is that I failed to meet the requirements for recruiting a unit I wanted.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Teknoman said:
Well I guess that makes sense. Wonder if the series will ever return for Episodes 1-4.
betcha at least one of those will involve Virgo the Progenitor. (Probably would be early, like episode 1 or 2)

Jiggy

Just noticed that with the release of Ogre Battle I now have exactly as many SNES games on VC as TG16--so come on, Hudson representatives who may or may not be reading. Detana Twinbee will get you back to number one with me, but you can easily stay there with more releases.
I believe in second chances and that's why
I believe in you. :)

Though in fairness DoReMi Fantasy is an SNES game that comes from Hudson and that's my third favorite VC game of all, so hey.

Somnid

SD3's fan-translation was extremely complex. Unless they want to muck around in the source code (if it still exists) and do an assload of translation it's not going to happen. It's just too much work for even a $10 game.

Even with another "one release for the Virtual Console" week, I can't really complain as that release is an Ogre Battle game.

I still would have preferred it launched alongside another VC game or two. :p

Jiggy

So would we all. I sure don't want to wait until March 16th or later for my Detana Twinbee--I'll buy Smash no question if it shows on the 9th and I'll probably even like it more than Twinbee, but in general I'd still rather have a game where the whole experience is new than a game I sunk dozens of hours into but would be playing with a different (and better) controller.

On Wikipedia, it says EGM gave it a 7.87 when it was released. That's really funny to me.

As Matsuno's biggest fan, I wish I could buy two copies of this game on VC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom