• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBLA "The Maw" thread of one-eyed purple beast of the apocalypse!

Rlan

bannerdefault.jpg

The Maw

The pinnacle of alien evolution, Maw is a cowardly fat blob concerned mostly with snacking and lounging. He can, however, absorb the traits of anything he eats, is virtually indestructible, and can grow to unlimited size. If he wasn't a danger to all life in the universe, he'd make the perfect pet. In the action/adventure game The Maw, he's the best friend of our hero Frank, and only by working together, can Maw help eat their way to freedom. The Maw was honored with the Audience Choice Award in the 2008 PAX-10 showcase of independent games, and is a finalist at the 2009 Independent Games Festival for Technical Excellence.

* The power of The Maw: Feed Maw a variety of different creatures and make him grow to help get through levels. Use Frank's plasma leash to control the indestructible Maw, as he grows, evolves, and gains new powers that can be used to get rid of enemies and solve level puzzles.
* The teamwork of Frank and Maw: Frank and Maw must help each other to solve puzzles and get through each area. Frank's plasma leash can be attached to Maw as well as creatures and other objects to slam and toss things around.
* Action and adventure: This single-player story-driven game features eight full levels with different puzzles and power creatures throughout.
* Musical score: The original music score was created by God of War composer Winifred Phillips.

Developer: Twisted Pixel Games
Publisher: Microsoft
Genre: Action
Price: 800 Microsoft Points

TheMaw_ScreenA.jpg

TheMaw_ScreenC.jpg

TheMawScreen1.jpg

TheMawScreen2.jpg

TheMawScreen3.jpg

TheMawScreen6.jpg

Click here for the official Xbox.com splash page.

Click here for a Trailer of the game

Gowans

First XBLA release I've been looking forward to for a while, saw the trailer a while ago and looked like a great performer action game (a area where XBLA is lacking).

Great job with the op Rlan.

Fake edit: hmm isn't up, are MS putting them up at 9 or 10 GMT now? oh well 45mins to go.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Gowans007 said:
First XBLA release I've been looking forward to for a while, saw the trailer a while ago and looked like a great performer action game (a area where XBLA is lacking).

Great job with the op Rlan.

Fake edit: hmm isn't up, are MS putting them up at 9 or 10 GMT now? oh well 45mins to go.

Hurry up with the impressions, Gowans!

Gowans

did you get it volt?

It's up in the UK but there doesn't seem to be a file to download, hangs at 1% then drops out.

I have to pop out in 30 too :(

Rlan

I don't see it on the US or Australian accounts.

And voltron: uhh... did you even look at the screenshots?

voltron

Yeah clearly those screen indicate a kids game. Damn.

So wtf is up with Arcade games since NXE launched? Soooo annoying. They used to be up on the service instantly when MN posted it was available, but now it seems to take ages.

Rlan

It has a childish aesthetic, but it is quite a bit of fun. The Maw will continue to grow and eat everything in his wake, take over their abilities (burn everything, laser eyes).

Give it more of a go.

Not working here either, I'll grab it later after a few hours in the DC Wastelands no doubt.

First Arcade game in quite some time I've been interested in, might have to grab some points soon.

voltron

Theres something wrong with the file. I started downloading and it stopped at 1% then I got an error message saying "Cant download". (this was from the web MP link)

Shaneus

Same.
"The download could not be completed. Please try again later. Any points you used for this transaction have already been deducted from your balance and will not be deducted again.

Status code: 80070570"

FUCK. Was looking forward to this, too :(

Rlan

It seems to be working a little bit now. It's up on the Xbox.com marketplace officially now, and I'm up to 5%...

Tried twice to download the demo half an hour ago, both times the download started and after a few instants I got a message saying that "transaction cannot be completed at this time, try again later". :-(

Well, now only this evening. +12 hours until I can play it.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Wow, pretty damn high production values for 800 points, I'm impressed.

Seems like a cute little physics puzzler so far

Edit: with a bit of Feeding Frenzy/Katamari style upgrades.

S1kkZ

trial version is short but awesome.

-great cutscenes
-the maw is an awesome character
-looks great
-deeper then i thought
-funny

will buy this now.

Fireflu

I was really impressed by the general quality of the game, fun and easy to pick up concept, lush and colourful environments (however i hope they do vary later on in the game) plus the vid at the end of the trial is full of awesome, I'm swaying towards purchasing it for sure.

Eurogamer review is up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/the-maw-review

The Maw is the sort of game you'll play for an afternoon, giggling like a fool the whole time. There's not much more to it beyond that brief but satisfying flurry of amusement, unless you want to go back into each level to harvest all the Achievements, but not every game needs endless replay value. The Maw is charming, cheap and memorable enough that its short lifespan shouldn't put you off.

7/10

bjaelke

Beat the first 3 stages with a smile on my face :)
8.0 Presentation
An unlockable free theme and gamerpics are a nice touch. The whole package has a good sense of style.
9.0 Graphics
This is easily one of the most attractive XBLA games thanks to the vibrant colors and great animations.
9.0 Sound
A wonderful soundtrack. I love Frank's voice.
8.0 Gameplay
It's pretty easy and there isn't a lot of depth here, but its always fun which is what's most important.
6.5 Lasting Appeal
The game can easily be beaten in a weekend of light playing. Some might play again to find everything, but most will call it a day.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
IGN Review

Mmmmm...colorful, vibrant AND nice personality? 360? Arcade!? Good!!!???

I like it. The water is terrible bad and distracting, but all is forgiven.

bryehn

Just bought this now on impulse.

Wow, better graphics and art than a lot of retail games. Such charm, personality!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Holy shit, this game is awesome. I've 100% (and secret worm thing) on every level. Done the first 5 so far. I was like 'Just one more level, just one more level...' :lol

Achievements seem pretty easy, as well. I can see myself getting 200/200 on this.

Love that they've put in 2 gamer pics and the theme, as well. I've got the 2 gamer pics so far, the theme is unlocked when you finish the game.

Anyone wondering on time, levels are taking me about 20-25 minutes to 100%, and there's 8 levels total. So about 2 half hours total, I think?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Urgh, is anyone else up to Level 7 with the giant beetles yet?

I think it might be glitched. You smash the red things in front of the beetle to get passed 2 electric fences, then you have an open field with 4 other giant beetles. There are 3 of those red things on the ground, and a giant stone wall with a crack in it. I guess you have to smash the red things in front, to lure the beetle over, rinse and repeat.

Problem is, I can never get the beetle passed the little river, they always just run straight back to the point where they were before. What's more, 2 of the beetles smashed against a metal piece sticking out the ground and are dead, while one other is glitched behind a plant, running on the spot. That gives me one to play with, but he's just going back to where he was each time.

My blob has eaten like 12 snails on the way and hasn't morphed, either, so I think something is up. :-/

Either it's loaded up wrong, glitched, or am I missing something blindingly obvious. I'll start it up again and see what happens...

goldenpp72

Games better than I thought it would be, it may not have the highest productions but for a 10 dollar xbla game it does its production values a good deal of justice.

Impressive first hour or so of gameplay, I stoped and unlocked the full version when I got the first achievement, I like how they guide you by thought bubbles over the monster, this game is very cinematic for a downloadable game by a small team.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Seems like a short game. Looks fun though and the theme and gamerpics kind of seal it.

Post pics of the theme dude, it's a premium theme I presume right?

Top Bottom