• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official XBLA "The Maw" thread of one-eyed purple beast of the apocalypse!

Shaneus

Is anyone else having this crash on loading? It'll get to the Twisted Pixel logo, have the Maw eat it with it's eye appear at the top, then it just freezes. Have to power-cycle the console :(

fernoca

Whoa, you get an NXE theme!!?! :O!!!!!
I thought it was going to be some lame "regular" theme; but darn..that's quite nice..and something all games should have!

Got this on "day 1" too, really like it..the look, atmosphere, sound..cute and fun..hehehe...

watership

60_gig_PS3 said:
wow this game came out of nowhere. Very nice. The demo reminds me of pikmin but fun.

Its not out of nowhere, some of us have been jumping up and down for like 6 months about this game. It just didn't seem to get get any steam, even when it was in the Pax10.

RBH

Just played the demo and I thought it was great. The overall atmosphere and cutscenes are adorable.

I just love it whenever Frank calls out, "Maaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!" :lol

Looks like The Maw may be one of the first sleeper hits of 2009.

Shaneus said:
Is anyone else having this crash on loading? It'll get to the Twisted Pixel logo, have the Maw eat it with it's eye appear at the top, then it just freezes. Have to power-cycle the console :(

I had this happen the second time I played it.

Ever since the NXE update, I get random freezes on a bunch of my games, and I will have to power-cycle.

this game was suprisingly great. Only real major flaw is that you run way too slow, but other than that it was awesome. Great for $10.

and the last level was really cool

Shaneus said:

This happens to me if I boot the game without jamming the start button. If I keep hitting the start button during the Twisted Pixel screen, I get by just fine.

Wow, just started...and completed...this game tonight. Truly a great game. I hope to see this expanded into a series in the future. That means I want this game to sell. So buy it, people!

Three complaints for me: REALLY short (3 hours for 100%), REALLY easy (no death, easy puzzles), and the dude runs so slow. However, it is so charming, funny, fun, and flows really well. The levels are quite well-designed too.

7.5/10 for me. A pleasant surprise.

Gowans

Completed the game and loved it.

Amazed they fit so much into 150mb, art, animation, sound track. Really is a great short Platformer/gather game.

Only missed a couple of pieces :(

Loved the way it ended and the really hope we get more Maw type stuff in the future, hope to hear/read some more discussion of the game later as everyone gets through it.

voltron

In the interest of adding another data point to the graph, I also really enjoyed this game. Which is surprising too, as I thought the simplicity would bore me.

Hopefully we get DLC levels.

Rlan

The Maw's leaderboards are currently standing at 34,212, which is very very good for an XBLA game in its first week.

AlexM

Read about this in gamedev magazine, came out of nowhere for me. Sounds awesome from what I read, looking forward to purchase

RBH

Rlan said:
The Maw's leaderboards are currently standing at 34,212, which is very very good for an XBLA game in its first week.
Great to hear.

I think that the word-of-mouth and kid friendly nature of the game will help out The Maw in regards to its sales. Hope to see it have some legs over the next few weeks.

PARANO1A

I enjoyed it. It's perfectly priced for what you get, and I'm extremely happy games like this from publishers this small have an avenue to receive my cash. Digital distribution FTW.

bryehn

I really didn't like the last level at all. I was really hoping for an extra long level that made use of all the powers/tricks found in the game :/

Hopefully one of the DLC levels fulfills that wish.

pr0cs

Bought, so far enjoying it. It's a little slow and easy but then I don't feel badly about playing it with my kids watching.

GhaleonEB

I got a kick out of the demo, and my daughter did as well. I was impressed with how much story was conveyed with no words and in a short time. And the tutorial was minimalist but very effective. My six year old picked up on everything she was supposed to do along the way, when many games have left her confused and asking me for direction.

Great demo. She and I are working off a backlog, but I promised her I'd buy it next week.

FinFan

I had a great time playing through this with my 6yr old son. Maw has so much personality he steals the show. I can't even remember the other characters name. There's a great sense of humor in this title. We are playing through it again to get the 100% eaten achievement. 80 cents per level for DLC doesn't seem too bad to me.

TheGrue

HiResDes said:
DLC already on the way, sounds like withheld content to me, ugh

Yeah, I don't mind extra levels on DLC most of the time, but since I beat this game in something like 3 hours, seems to me that withholding levels is a little on the cheap side.

Crom

HiResDes said:
DLC already on the way, sounds like withheld content to me, ugh

You know there's two delays in the XBLA game circuit right?

A) It takes weeks if not months (some developers say as long as 4 months) for a game to get approved.

B) The XBLA release schedule controlled by Microsoft is planned 6 months out so some games are long completed and are waiting for release.

Given these two delays, do you think the developer sits around doing nothing? Smart developers are working hard on extra content to extend the life of their games and to bring in extra revenue. They've probably built a good pipe full of content to support the game for those who enjoy it. Remember these are independent developers... small teams. They work for money. It's as simple as that.

100 points for a level is nothing. They already included free gamer pics and a theme

HiResDes

Crom said:
You know there's two delays in the XBLA game circuit right?

A) It takes weeks if not months (some developers say as long as 4 months) for a game to get approved.

B) The XBLA release schedule controlled by Microsoft is planned 6 months out so some games are long completed and are waiting for release.

Given these two delays, do you think the developer sits around doing nothing? Smart developers are working hard on extra content to extend the life of their games and to bring in extra revenue. They've probably built a good pipe full of content to support the game for those who enjoy it. Remember these are independent developers... small teams. They work for money. It's as simple as that.

100 points for a level is nothing. They already included free gamer pics and a theme
If you think 100 points is nothing, then give it to me for free, :D

Willeth

I could have done with a bit more Metroid-ness - instead of each level having a bound storyline, having areas that were inaccessible without having a big enough Maw or a certain power unlocked would have made this a lot less straightforward.

Still enjoyed it, but it was just not quite enough challenge to want to pick it up again.

Rlan

The Maw's postmortem was in Game Developer Magazine December 2008 issue. If you consider the time for them to write it and have the lead time for the magazine, the game's probably been done since... September or October. That's 4-5 months since the game actually finished.

Rlan said:
The Maw's postmortem was in Game Developer Magazine December 2008 issue. If you consider the time for them to write it and have the lead time for the magazine, the game's probably been done since... September or October. That's 4-5 months since the game actually finished.

Based on my conversation with the devs at PAX it was at least close to done in August.

Wizpig

Stitch said:
http://kotaku.com/5136210/three-new-levels-coming-to-the-maw-via-dlc

All three levels will play as "deleted scenes" from the game, and will be playable by selecting "Deleted Scenes" from the menu, once purchased. Each of the levels will come with a new achievement and will cost 100 Microsoft points.
I'll bite, though i misread that and thought that for 100 points you'd get all the 3 levels... i guess i'm being silly here; with these the game is going to be like 1.100 MP, but i guess i can buy those new levels if i enjoy the game all the way to the end [i'm at the third level].

As for the game it is fun and it's clear proof that there exist XBLA/WiiWare games that are in a category "between" shovelware and masterpieces like MegaMan9 or Braid.

I have an odd number of MS points, so I will end biting the expansions. But I still think it would be better to include those levels at the main game and charged more at once, for the complete game.

Sean

Banned
I'm stuck on the very end of the Beetul Smash level (which I think is the 7th one?).. got 51/52 and just ate the snuffle (snuggle?) thingy but I'm lost on what to do next.

There's like a red gate thing that the Maw can't smash through, and then there's a bunch of rocks (steps) with a generator at the top, but nothing to destroy it with that I can see. Anyone?

edit: i figured it out, feel so stupid.
There's a large rock above it that you need to grab with the B button and toss onto the generator, I kept looking for one of those energy balls or red exploding things to pull out of the ground.

Gwanatu T

Bog said:
So this is basically Katamario Damacy.

This is exactly what my wife said right after I started playing and figured out what to do. It seems pretty interesting so far, but I'm worried about repetition. Still it's only 800 points and it's one of the most well done 3D XBLA games out there from what I can see. I'm going to bite when I've got some free time soon.

DLC Screenshots...

2zrgbpy.jpg

23jplq8.jpg

2yjrk02.jpg

CEO comments about some people getting annoyed with early DLC

It was revealed earlier this week that the Twisted Pixel team is hard at work on DLC for The Maw. Honestly, we were surprised to see some of the reactions, as if we were intentionally gouging our fans, especially since our work on the DLC is occurring after The Maw wrapped development and we thought people would like to see more of Maw for a low price. Here is our official announcement and response. I sincerely hope this helps everyone understand that we are not trying to rip anyone off - we just want to make great games that everyone enjoys.

Thank you!
-Mike

DLC PR

DLC FOR THE MAW WON'T BE AVAILABLE FOR SEVERAL MORE WEEKS

Twisted Pixel Squanders Use of Time Travel Equipment

AUSTIN, TX – January 29, 2009 – In the months since The Maw went into final testing and certification, Twisted Pixel has been working on creating additional levels for the game, incorporating new enemies, full cinematics, and additional gameplay into each one. They have also been busy squandering the capabilities of the time traveling car they jacked a couple weeks ago. Mike Henry, lead programmer on The Maw: "I haven't had a soggy last bite of cereal since we got this puppy." Asked about the possibility of using the technology to prevent world catastrophes or to send the new game data back in time to get incorporated into the original game, Henry pointed obstinately at his bowl. "Crunchy."

Three new "Lost Levels" Offer New Content, Gameplay

Eschewing a vacation after completing The Maw, Lead Artist David Leung has been working on new models, animations, and cinematics for the upcoming levels. "I love the world of The Maw and am really happy to have the opportunity to make these levels that are much larger and pack as much personality and new gameplay types ." Leung divides his time between creating the over 100 new animations required for the levels and his side hobby, sport-hunting dinosaurs.

High Quality, Low Price Point

Each level will be available for 100 Microsoft Points ($1.25 USD). "We want to make these new levels as accessible as possible while still allowing the team to get paid for the time they are taking to make all this new content," said CEO Michael Wilford. Asked why he didn't use the time machine to win the lottery, Wilford pointed out the limited supply of plutonium. "We need to save our trips for important things – like when this pizza was first delivered, it was cold." He held up a steaming slice and winked. "The first time."

The Maw

The Maw is a 3D action-adventure game available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for 800 Microsoft Points ($10 USD). It was honored with the PAX-10 Audience Choice Award and is a finalist for Technical Excellence in the upcoming 2009 Independent Games Festival. More information about The Maw can be found at www.WhatIsTheMaw.com

Top Bottom