• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Madden '12 Online Franchise Thread OT2 Mr Peyton Goes To Washington

Smokey

I'm so disappointed that this is your first Blizzard game. I imagine some number of us will be on tonight, servers pending

it's a sad story, but one i have now fixed. although when thinking about the game it has been filled with ideas on how i can make dat $$$ off the auction house

TheCrow

And the whole argument of "well there are stats that don't show up in the boxscore" can be applied to d-line play as well. I consistently got run down behind the line of scrimmage from the DE on the opposite side of the field. But that just shows up as a tackle in the box score. There's also passing plays that get blown up by the pressure from the dline.

Mrbob

I really don't care what people play. It actually isn't that hard to beat a user comtrolled dline player with quick hot route passes. I'd almost argue it is tougher to beat a user comtrolled safety in madden 12. You basically need a 99 speed wr to win a 1 on 1 battle over the top and it should be easier than that. Teams should have to pay a heavier price for 1 on 1 play outside all game long.

Knox has 97 speed in the game and he had a tough time getting open 1 on 1 deep in all four seasons. He should be crushing teams over the top who want to go into cover 1 and roam the middle of the field.

And the whole argument of "well there are stats that don't show up in the boxscore" can be applied to d-line play as well. I consistently got run down behind the line of scrimmage from the DE on the opposite side of the field. But that just shows up as a tackle in the box score.

It's like me saying crow can't run tosses. HOW NOEL DIVINE GET SO MANY YARDS?! RATED A 65!

The answer is you did it against people who had no clue how to stop it. Should it be banned then?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I really don't care what people play. It actually isn't that hard to beat a user comtrolled dline player with quick hot route passes. I'd almost argue it is tougher to beat a user comtrolled safety in madden 12. You basically need a 99 speed wr to win a 1 on 1 battle over the top and it should be easier than that. Teams should have to pay a heavier price for 1 on 1 play outside all game long.

how would you know. you do nothing but throw quick routes to the TE regardless.

CB3

It's like me saying crow can't run tosses. HOW NOEL DIVINE GET SO MANY YARDS?! RATED A 65!

The answer is you did it against people who had no clue how to stop it. Should it be banned then?

You seem to have trouble with the difference between lack of skill and borderline exploit.

DCX

DCX
You seem to have trouble with the difference between lack of skill and borderline exploit.
That's the thing. Borderline exploits are hard to police as well because its hard to know what is exactly happening. Its easy to say that.qb sneak is broken or pump fakes because it.could.be.labeled by EA or OS as a glitch.

Devine rushing for 300 yards in a game is just as BS as LE Bengals or Fitz in Arizona.

DCX

Mrbob

how would you know. you do nothing but throw quick routes to the TE regardless.

Didn't I put up like 50 points a game on you in Madden 11? Oh yeah I did because I would beat you over the top because you liked to roam the middle of the field with your safety.

I recognized quickly how offense needed to be played in Madden 12, can't fault me for my elite offensive prowess.

I was also top 5 in rushing after year one. Not QB cheese running either.

CB3

That's the thing. Borderline exploits are hard to police as well because its hard to know what is exactly happening. Its easy to say that.qb sneak is broken or pump fakes because it.could.be.labeled by EA or OS as a glitch.

Devine rushing for 300 yards in a game is just as BS as LE Bengals or Fitz in Arizona.

DCX

FMT admitted to making up that pump fake shit because he was angry he lost

Didn't I put up like 50 points a game on you in Madden 11? Oh yeah I did because I would beat you over the top because you liked to roam the middle of the field with your safety.

I recognized quickly how offense needed to be played in Madden, can't fault me for my elite offensive prowess.

You beat me because i roam with safety. but you just said

I'd almost argue it is tougher to beat a user comtrolled safety in madden 12. You basically need a 99 speed wr to win a 1 on 1 battle over the top and it should be easier than that. Teams should have to pay a heavier price for 1 on 1 play outside all game long.

Which one is it

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I just think there is something wrong when one player has 35 sacks in a year. But I guess I'm one of the few who see it that way.

I'm so disappointed that this is your first Blizzard game. I imagine some number of us will be on tonight, servers pending

I think in Wellie's case it was over 30 sacks for multiple seasons from the same position with different players, none of which were user controlled.

I never played Splat, but it seemed like he was the one controlling the DT, right? LJ was a monster at DT, too.

With wellie, it's something he figured out that makes the cpu d-line play out of their mind. Von Miller is a great pass rusher and would get 10+ sacks a year. I thought that was great but compared to whoever wellie had at DE he's garbage.

And I don't take sanjuro's int games seriously. I hope no one does.

Alright I am confused. Are we banning user DT play because of sack totals from DEs I never controlled? Here are the complete numbers for the DT I controlled in the last two seasons, Marcus Bernard:

13 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FF
15 tackles, 6 sacks

Literally all I did was run directly into a blocker, and try to influence the running play inside or outside of me dependent on where my LBs lined up. The sacks resulted in guys holding onto the ball too long, my DTs are supposed to be space eaters, not playmakers

Also, Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap are damn near identical DEs.

And the whole argument of "well there are stats that don't show up in the boxscore" can be applied to d-line play as well. I consistently got run down behind the line of scrimmage from the DE on the opposite side of the field. But that just shows up as a tackle in the box score. There's also passing plays that get blown up by the pressure from the dline.

You kept calling the same play, or the same type of play. I literally just held down on the stick and ran directly into your backfield. If it was cheese I would have been stopping you where you were headed, not chasing you down from behind. I don;t know if you were running powers, but that's what i assumed. You kept trying to run right and I kept getting in clean and tackling you from behind. I figured since you were running right, your LG was pulling to be the lead blocker for the play. I have no other explanation for what was going on.

Mrbob

Both? I'm talking about Madden 11 to Madden 12. I went over the top a lot in 1 on 1 in Madden 11. I barely did it in Madden 12 because at worst it was a pick, and at best a waste of a down. I could beat people deep with Hester and his 99 speed rating, but I couldn't with knox and his 97 rating even though Knox is a much better overall WR. It's more of an EA issue than anything placing too much emphasis on speed for ratings.

I tested this in the last season of the league, I had an idiot 71 rated CB I started on the outside and he would never get beat deep unless he pressed because he was bad at it, and even then most of the time he would catch up by the time ball was there. He had 97 speed rating. He couldn't do anything else but was fast.

CB3

How is Noel divine, a 65 rated player, rushing for like 10 ypc any less of an "exploit" than dts abusing crappy guards? Both can be stopped if you know what you're doing

My RG was a first round guy that was 84 right out of the box and he got abused by certain DT's

Edit: The only problems i ever had getting deep was when Vick would overthrow shit in the wind. Dont blame the game because Cutler or your WR's blow.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Are we going to get a DIII session going tonight or is that probably a no go due to 98% chance of servers being down? I got the game and the strat guide (LOL) and getting more hyped to try it out after reading some of it.

This is also my first Blizzard game...ever. I don't know how battle.net works or anything i'm as blind as you can be

I'm in the same boat, never played a Blizzard game, but I have the game downloaded and added some of yous to my friends list this morning. I am looking forward to seeing what the hype is about. I thought about getting Max Payne 3 today as well, but I will exercise some restraint and wait for the 2-3 week price drop.

My RG was a first round guy that was 84 right out of the box and he got abused by certain DT's

Edit: The only problems i ever had getting deep was when Vick would overthrow shit in the wind. Dont blame the game because Cutler or your WR's blow.

My 85 rated rookie cb got abused in the slot by Wrs in the 70s. Time to ban slot passing!

Splat

So, game year's over, I'll break down exactly what my DL plan is, and exactly what the counters to it are:

I slanted to the right. So generally this meant that the Left Tackle didn't end up blocking any of the linemen, unless he double teamed the right end. This meant that Cooper was free to attempt to power/finesse move the right guard and hope for a quick win. I _think_ success on this is based on timing, where if you do the power/finesse move right at the time of engagement, you're more likely to win and break through, and I got pretty good at this.

So, how to counter this?

1. Have a strong right guard. There were a number of games where Fitz was blanked because of strong right guards.

2. Keep a HB in to block. It'll buy you probably another couple seconds to throw, HBs are pretty good at cut blocking linemen.

3. Run to the left. The Slant right got chewed up by runs left. If people did it enough I'd have to stop slanting, which kept Fitz in check.

Note: This is totally different than Wellie getting his left end unblocked all the time. Even I think that's kinda shady. (note, this is based on the one play that Luke broke down, I have no idea what Wellie actually does in games. I just know if you slant and crash right, the LDE comes free in a 5 man protect).

CB3

So, game year's over, I'll break down exactly what my DL plan is, and exactly what the counters to it are:

I slanted to the right. So generally this meant that the Left Tackle didn't end up blocking any of the linemen, unless he double teamed the right end. This meant that Cooper was free to attempt to power/finesse move the right guard and hope for a quick win. I _think_ success on this is based on timing, where if you do the power/finesse move right at the time of engagement, you're more likely to win and break through, and I got pretty good at this.

So, how to counter this?

1. Have a strong right guard. There were a number of games where Fitz was blanked because of strong right guards.

2. Keep a HB in to block. It'll buy you probably another couple seconds to throw, HBs are pretty good at cut blocking linemen.

3. Run to the left. The Slant right got chewed up by runs left. If people did it enough I'd have to stop slanting, which kept Fitz in check.

Note: This is totally different than Wellie getting his left end unblocked all the time. Even I think that's kinda shady

Dissension in the ranks!

Leaving halfbacks in is almost useless. They dont block the DE's well enough and the DT's bullrush right through them. At best it buys you less than an extra second to do something.

Smokey

i don't see the problem.

make people have to either play lb or s. test it out with ncaa 13 and see how it goes and move from there.

Your passive agressive attitude towards this isnt helping anything, leader. If i can take banning safety play seriously then you need to play ball too.

I just think banning playing all these positions is bad for the league. The things you complain about with dt are present in all positions. Like I said, if a majority of the league is against dt play then we have a serious issue. I don't think that is the case

Splat

I'm not trying to hate on Wellie, I'm just saying basically all Cooper's sacks came from having to beat the guy across from him. Man, I wouldn't even care if we got banned from DL play. I've always been shitty at LB/S, but I guess it would force me to learn.

LukeSmith

So, how to counter this?

Note: This is totally different than Wellie getting his left end unblocked all the time. Even I think that's kinda shady. (note, this is based on the one play that Luke broke down, I have no idea what Wellie actually does in games. I just know if you slant and crash right, the LDE comes free in a 5 man protect).

Interesting breakdown. The most interesting thing to me is the frequency that you'd slant right.

Slanting right every play is probably a bit FYIDM, but if the people you're playing against aren't picking up on it, then I guess they are not paying attention. It's the same sort of punishment I put Ramirez through by running 3 wide HB dive and picking a different line than his user MLB attempt to crunch the run.

I'd usually gameplan against what position a person played and try and force mistakes. When someone plays Dline against me it's just like I'm playing the computer, on All-Madden

TheCrow

Speaking of high risk/reward safeties, you actually punished my safety play with deep passes. Even then you were one of the few who even tried. In your game I had to respect the deep pass and couldn't play as near the line of scrimmage as I normally did.

Devine (and later on Tate) has all the stats to be a great RB, except for carry. He was the perfect #2 RB when I had Moreno because it went from having a guy with 88 speed to 94 speed when he was in the backfield. He could actually hit the edge and run down field.

CB3

I just think banning playing all these positions is bad for the league. The things you complain about with dt are present in all positions. Like I said, if a majority of the league is against dt play then we have a serious issue. I don't think that is the case

Im just saying. Your BAN EVERYTHING joke argument isnt helping anything. Enough people have said something about it so it is an issue you should be taking seriously and not half assing it because you sit on the other side of the fence.

CB3

Speaking of high risk/reward safeties, you actually punished my safety play with deep passes. Even then you were one of the few who even tried. In your game I had to respect the deep pass and couldn't play as near the line of scrimmage as I normally did.

Its very exploitable. Like i said ive been doing this shit since 05. I am the guy that would know. I jump a ton of routes. I also fake like im jumping a route if i know what play the person is running and double back to a place where my opponent thinks im not anymore. In both cases, im leaving atleast one guy in 1 on 1 with zero safetly help. I dont think these guys understand what kind of a risk that is. Its why if you look at the stats i usually cause alot of turnovers AND have alot of passing yards go against me.

What i do isnt luck or by accident. I worked hard to make the left side of the field a dangerous place to throw.

TheCrow

I feel the same way and if I was in the nfc I would challenge you for the manual defender award every year. I do love playing against people who control safeties. Play action works more realistically and some routes are great for people who get out of their zone. There's that one TE route that starts with an out to the right sideline but then goes over the middle of the field. IIRC, it worked against you and many others for big yards if not a touchdown. But I could only run it a few times before it gets figured out.

CB3

It kinda goes back to my original argument against line play before the numbers skyrocketed. The mind games between the QB and your LB/Safety that develop during the course of a game (or even a season or the lifespan of the game with your rivals) is amazing.

I used to use the play where the HB slants out from the backfield, then cuts back in over the middle as an example alot. People run that play all the time. Some guys do it a few times a game and i see that and let it ride. until the 4th quarter when its 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left and you are down 7. And you think its open because its been open all game. Except this time i jump it and take it back for 6 the other way. Its so satisfying.

Or if you are a smart player who knows my tendancies and you audible your Outside WR to streak. So when i jump the underneath route you lob it right over my head for a TD.

These are the things you dont get against guys who sit on the line. What you get is basically playing against the CPU expect you have a DT in your face much faster than what they normally would be.

BigAT

Come on, you can't be serious about actually banning D-line play? Then what will happen to all the bitch made folks that are incapable of playing real defense? Won't someone please think of the children!

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
It kinda goes back to my original argument against line play before the numbers skyrocketed. The mind games between the QB and your LB/Safety that develop during the course of a game (or even a season or the lifespan of the game with your rivals) is amazing.

I used to use the play where the HB slants out from the backfield, then cuts back in over the middle as an example alot. People run that play all the time. Some guys do it a few times a game and i see that and let it ride. until the 4th quarter when its 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes left and you are down 7. And you think its open because its been open all game. Except this time i jump it and take it back for 6 the other way. Its so satisfying.

Or if you are a smart player who knows my tendancies and you audible your Outside WR to streak. So when i jump the underneath route you lob it right over my head for a TD.

These are the things you dont get against guys who sit on the line. What you get is basically playing against the CPU expect you have a DT in your face much faster than what they normally would be.
You're right, I generally never use any kind of strategy nor do I make my opponents think more than they normally would. You got me there, CB. Heck, most of my opponents don't even think about protections.

CB3

my only thoughts against people that play DT is "This motherfucker is getting to me in 1.5 seconds flat no matter what i do so i better get this out quick"

OR

"This motherfucker is gonna throw my guard off on this run instantly so i better cut back before i get tackled for a loss"

Im just saying. Your BAN EVERYTHING joke argument isnt helping anything. Enough people have said something about it so it is an issue you should be taking seriously and not half assing it because you sit on the other side of the fence.

where's the joke? i can make arguments for anything being banned. there are things that have simliar "exploits" (a term i dont agree with but i'll use it) in the game beyond DT that aren't banned.

i think by far the worst thing in the game is QB scrambling and the speed at which EVERY qb can get outside of the pocket. palmer, vick, kaepernick, cutler, whoever you want to name, they can all break containment so easily.

you can say "well there is something to combat that!" and there is, just like there is something to combat DT play. "well i shouldn't have to keep a RB into block just to stop that!" well i shouldn't have to call a fucking DE contain or bring a CB off the edge to stop fucking carson palmer from getting outside of the pocket and having all day to throw

when madden 13 comes out and we've all played some community games then we will see if DT play is an issue and the 32 people in the league will vote on it and we'll see where it stands at that point

McNei1y

Someone please tell me that I'll see a good amount of hot chicks on warm days in the city just walking around... I'm really going to miss walking to classes on campus and just seeing the ridiculous amount of hot women.

Ramirez

We're the outlaw league! We start hard and fast but burn out quickly!

The league would last longer if you guys would follow his format. Everyone picking power team from the start is lame, because someone always picks #1 and if you don't pick in the top 10 with them it makes it impossible to compete...

I imagine the controls being the same as Madden might help as well as far as keeping interest.

LukeSmith

The league would last longer if you guys would follow his format. Everyone picking power team from the start is lame, because someone always picks #1 and if you don't pick in the top 10 with them it makes it impossible to compete...

I went to and graduated from Michigan that's the only college I'll play with. If you went to a school with a college football team, just use them in the game. Otherwise pick who you actually root for (or flavor of the then month power house Ohio State)

If you didn't, pull an FMT and pick the one with the best QB.

LJ picked Notre Dame because they had annual games against USC (CB) and Michigan.

Lonestar always being Alabama is like a free villain for the league. He's our Steelers

Top Bottom