• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aku:jiki

Shard said:
As an aside does anybody else think Microsoft is a bit nutters releasing Hexic 2 in the same general time frame as Puzzle Fighter and indeed Puzzle Quest?
I'm not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you're seriously underestimating Hexic here. Hexic 2 will outsell Puzzle Fighter by far, you can definitely bank on that. Puzzle Quest is popular on a different format for a different crowd -- it will most likely also be outsold by Hexic 2.

And H2 is 800 if I recall. That might pose a problem for MS and Carbonated, though. Should be 400 to maximize profits, I think.

I not usually one of these people around here that complains about art and what have you, but those character designs in Pirates vs Ninjas make the ones in Kung Fu Chaos look attractive. The captain looks like The King from BK for christ's sake.

Cool idea, though.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I not usually one of these people around here that complains about art and what have you, but those character designs in Pirates vs Ninjas make the ones in Kung Fu Chaos look attractive. The captain looks like The King from BK for christ's sake.

Cool idea, though.

I think they look awesome. They look like little plastic figurines someone might have on their desk or something.

aku:jiki said:
I'm not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you're seriously underestimating Hexic here. Hexic 2 will outsell Puzzle Fighter by far, you can definitely bank on that. Puzzle Quest is popular on a different format for a different crowd -- it will most likely also be outsold by Hexic 2.
God I hope not. I absolutely hated Hexic and I thought it was downright terrible.
Tempy said:
So, how do we know it's for XBLA?
Blazing Lizard (the developers) mainly want to focus on downloadable games, and since Xbox Live Arcade is the most popular platform right now for those kind of games...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As far as Hexic, it really is one of those games that you kind of have to force yourself to play at first. But then once you get into it and start going for the achievements, it's really easy to get hooked in and appreciate the simple but clever design. I do think it would be rather silly to release them all close to each other. I hope they release Puzzle Fighter first, then Puzzle Quest, let those titles rake in the sales, then release guaranteed sales monster Hexic 2. Definitely picking up SPF whenever it comes out, probably won't pick up PQ since I already have it on DS (and I'm a bit down on the title because of all the damn bugs on that version), and possibly pick up Hexic 2 depending on when it comes out, though I really still have a decent amount of gameplay to get out of the original so I may pass.

zesty said:
I think they look awesome. They look like little plastic figurines someone might have on their desk or something.

I think the artstyle looks quite interesting as well, though the overall visual quality for a style like that will depend a lot on how it looks in motion. Gameplay-wise, I'm curious. Know nothing of the company, though Technos showed us long ago that you can make an all-time classic with the "sport."

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hexic 2 and Ecco the Dolphin Coming This Week to XBLA
posted Monday, August 13, 2007 9:00 AM by Gamerscore News

This week, we're happy to announce two family-fun additions to Xbox LIVE Arcade: Hexic 2 and Ecco the Dolphin. Both games will be available to download this Wednesday, August 15, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. GMT (2:00 a.m. PDT).

Hexic 2
Carbonated Games
Rated E (for Everyone)
800 Microsoft Points

Building on the success of Hexic HD, Hexic™ 2 brings all-new pieces to the board and a new multiplayer mode, so you can compete with friends in your living room or over Xbox LIVE®. The basic gameplay is straightforward, familiar, and addictive—just spin a trio of hexes to create a group of three or more matching colors, or build a formation of hexes to create more advanced pieces. Whether you want a relaxing puzzle break or a frantic race against the clock, Hexic 2 has you covered!

* Acclaimed developer: Hexic 2 is another challenging puzzle hit from Alexey Pajitnov, the original creator of Tetris®.
* New challenges: All-new special pieces, different formations, and modes keep Hexic 2 challenging even for the veteran Hexic player.
* Multiplayer competition: Amp up the gaming excitement playing multiplayer on the same console or over Xbox LIVE (up to two players) in Battle Mode.
* Easy to learn: The gameplay is straightforward, approachable, and highly addictive.
* Stunning visuals: The game is rendered in full 3-D with stunning special effects such as reflections, glow, and spectacular highlights.
* For more details on “Hexic 2”, please visit Xbox.com.

Ecco the Dolphin
Sega
Rated E (for Everyone)
400 Microsoft Points

Gamers can also travel through time this Wednesday with “Ecco the Dolphin” (SEGA), a fun, whimsical update of the classic undersea exploration game featuring an online leaderboard that tracks “Best Time,” and includes enhanced graphics and sound.

* For more details on “Ecco the Dolphin”, please visit Xbox.com.

More screenshots for both games on our Flickr account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gamerscore/

Rlan

Also

TORPEX GAMES DEBUTS SCHIZOIDTM FOR Xbox LIVE® Arcade AT MICROSOFT'S GAMEFEST 2007

Schizoid is First Xbox LIVE Arcade Title Built Using Microsoft’s XNA Game Studio Express

BELLEVUE, Wash. – August 13, 2007 – The next game genre is here! Torpex Games, a developer and publisher of addictive console games, announced today the upcoming release of Schizoid™ for Xbox LIVE® Arcade and will showcase the game during Microsoft’s GameFest 2007. Possibly the ultimate co-op game, Schizoid is an action game where teamwork equals survival and players must team up to protect each other from a seemingly endless stream of glowing enemies. Schizoid will be the first-ever Xbox LIVE Arcade title built using Microsoft’s XNA Game Studio Express, and is anticipated to be released before the end of 2007.

“Every few years a game will come out that is so simple, yet so addictive that it becomes a phenomenon unto itself,” says Bill Dugan, Torpex Games’ President. “We truly believe that if you and a friend spend two minutes playing Schizoid, you are going to ignore food, drink, your job and your family and play until they load you up on a gurney and head to the hospital. Schizoid is that rare game that comes along once every few years and we are very proud to make it our first release for Xbox LIVE Arcade.”

Featuring addictively simple gameplay, in Schizoid one person plays ‘red’ and the other plays ‘blue’. Each player moves his ship around the level as a seemingly endless stream of enemies attack. Each player can burst enemies of their own color merely through contact, but each player can be bursted by enemies of the other color. Both players have to “step up” on every level to handle the enemies of their own color, so their partner is not destroyed.

“There are literally thousands of games released every year and yet very few of them have the originality of Schizoid. It’s amazing to me that this game hasn’t been invented before now,” says Dave Mitchell, Microsoft’s Director of Marketing for XNA. “Schizoid demonstrates that developers can really unleash an ingenious game with XNA Game Studio Express.”

Bryan Trussel, Microsoft’s Director of Platform Game Services, added, “Schizoid combines a very fun and innovative game mechanic with really creative level design. Thanks to its cooperative game-play experience and variety of scenarios, Schizoid is a great game to play with friends, either on the couch or over Xbox Live. We’re delighted to exclusively add this creative and unique game to our incredible Xbox LIVE Arcade library.”

About Torpex Games
Founded in 2005, Torpex Games is a video game development company composed of distinguished, driven, and ferociously competent industry veterans. Based in Bellevue, Washington, Torpex Games’ sole mission is to create console games that are, simply, addictive. More information on Torpex Games is available at www.torpexgames.com

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
As previously stated the winnners of that Dream-Build-Play contest have been announced, from the press release.

PRESS RELEASE: Microsoft Makes Game Development Dreams a Reality
Press release supplied by Games Press 17:20 (GMT) 13/08/2007

SEATTLE — Aug. 13, 2007 — At Gamefest 2007, the annual Microsoft® Game Technology Conference, Microsoft Corp. today announced the highly anticipated winners of its Dream-Build-Play game development contest, which encouraged experienced game developers and enthusiasts to create innovative and fun-to-play video games for Windows® or Xbox 360™ platforms using XNA® Game Studio. In a surprise announcement during the keynote address, an astounding four winners were invited to publish their games on Xbox LIVE® Arcade. Tied for first place were David Flook of Ontario, Canada, and James Silva of New York with their respective games: “Blazing Birds,” an action-packed, robotic sports game modeled after the game of badminton, and “The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai,” a highly stylized game of mayhem and revenge. For their accomplishments, Flook and Silva were offered publishing contracts with Xbox LIVE Arcade, $10,000 (U.S.) each and several other prizes. Steve Olofsson of Sweden and Daniel McGuire of the United Kingdom received honors as runners-up for their games: “Gravitron Ultra” and “Yo Ho Kablammo!” respectively. Because of the amazing creativity demonstrated by these top four winners, the Xbox LIVE Arcade team also extended invitations to publish on Xbox LIVE Arcade to Olofsson and McGuire, along with $5,000 (U.S.) and other prizes.

A total of 16 others were recognized with third-place honors. More than 4,500 members of the gaming community from more than 100 countries enrolled in the Dream-Build-Play challenge. Final results have been posted on the Dream-Build-Play Web site at http://dreambuildplay.com.

“The games we received in the Dream-Build-Play competition are truly inspiring,” said Chris Satchell, general manager of the XNA organization at Microsoft. “Created in just four short months using XNA Game Studio, these games demonstrate an incredible range of innovation, fun gameplay and technical achievement.”

“We uncovered some remarkable talent with this contest and are pleased to include these original creations in our diverse library of games on Xbox LIVE Arcade,” said Bryan Trussel, director of content and portals for Microsoft Casual Games. “It’s aspiring, independent developers like these who are really driving our industry.”

XNA Game Studio has seen a surge of momentum this past year, with more than 400,000 downloads of the tool and adoption by nearly 200 academic institutions globally since its release last December. In addition to the XNA Creators Club Online community at http://creators.xna.com, more than 50 new community sites in numerous languages have emerged around the world in support of XNA Game Studio, pushing the boundaries of game development further toward Microsoft’s vision of true collaboration and democratization.

“Schizoid” by Torpex Games Showcased for the First Time

In his Gamefest keynote address, Satchell welcomed Bill Dugan, president of Torpex Games, to share a live demonstration of the highly anticipated action title “Schizoid,” the first Xbox LIVE Arcade game to be created with XNA Game Studio. The game, which will be released later this year, establishes XNA Game Studio as a premier development platform for hobbyists, independent developers and professionals alike.

Microsoft Announces Game Content Usage Rules

Satchell announced that effectively immediately, some game content published by Microsoft Game Studios and owned by Microsoft is now available for noncommercial use by consumers. Under a license similar to the Creative Commons license, consumers may now use gameplay footage, screen shots and other gameplay elements from popular Microsoft Game Studios titles such as the “Halo®” franchise, “Forza Motorsport®” and “Age of Empires®” to express their own imagination and creativity. Details on the game content usage rules have been posted at http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/developer/rules.htm along with samples of permissible and nonpermissible use.

New SOFTIMAGE|XSI 6 Mod Tool for XNA Game Studio

SOFTIMAGE|XSI 6 Mod Tool is new, free 3-D modeling and animation software for the creation of noncommercial game content. Based on the same toolset as the professional XSI 3D software, XSI 6 Mod Tool enables aspiring game developers to create compelling 3-D characters, levels and content designed for use with XNA Game Studio. Integrating natively with the XNA Framework Content Pipeline, XSI 6 Mod Tool comes with an enhanced user interface and training videos from Noesis Interactive, making it a perfect learning environment for newcomers to 3-D game content creation. “Softimage and Microsoft are committed to nurturing the next generation of game creators,” said Leonard Teo, product marketing manager at Softimage Co. “With the free XSI 6 Mod Tool and XNA Game Studio, anyone can download these tools and learn how to make great games now. Students, enthusiasts and aspiring game creators now have a toolset similar to those used by professional game companies.”

Gamefest 2007

Microsoft leads the industry in helping game developers create amazing games for Xbox 360 and Windows. Gamefest 2007, scheduled for Aug. 13 and 14, will feature nearly 100 sessions for game developers, producers and publishers to improve their skills, introduce them to new development techniques, and deliver powerful tools to help them build the best games possible and engage the community.

About Microsoft

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass on Microsoft’s corporate information pages. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may since have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/contactpr.mspx.

Found this interesting data in this article: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161901

Satchell says there are currently more than 7.1 million Xbox Live users and, more surprisingly, those users have conducted more than 25 million downloads on Xbox 360.

Additionally, they're finding the attach rate for Xbox Live Arcade titles is more than 6-7 per user - and that number has doubled in the last four months. By the end of the year, Microsoft expects there to be over a hundred titles on the service; right now there are 77.

If steady flow of arcade titles is on the way for holidays, it will go up for sure.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
You know games like Uno and Bomberman...

Where the Single player game is EXACTLY like the multiplayer game, but with bots.

Then I should be able to invite a buddy (i.e, they can't join, but I can invite) to fill in one of those bots... like Gears of War.

Uh, you see what I mean? I don't want to quit out of a single player game of UNO to play with a friend, when I'm going to be playing the exact same thing.

There's only special cases, but it would make sense - drop in, drop out XBLA.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161910

4qftgms.jpg

Gowans007 said:
As for the Carcas stuff? anyone have any reviews/thoughts on it?

Played a few games with the new Rivers expansion, thought it was a bit overpriced at first for just 12 river tiles - but the new tiles certainly help make the layout more interesting, theres a few new sections like a t-junction river tile and a river tile with a castle piece spanning across it. Granted it's not a huge addition to the game, but if you're a fan of Carcassone then it's probally worth it just to mix things up a bit.

Mar

Well I have to apologise. I said Pac-Man CE wasn't recommended, and just about everyone disagreed with me. I now disagree with me as well. Gave the game another go, and fell in love with it. Bought the full version and never looked back. The game is incredible.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I'm at work so I can't look at it but isn't Schizoid the flow-like game with the neon scorpions and what nots?

It has the neon scorpions yes but from the video footage the game appears to be done in the style of Geometry Wars.

<nu>faust

Mar_ said:
Well I have to apologise. I said Pac-Man CE wasn't recommended, and just about everyone disagreed with me. I now disagree with me as well. Gave the game another go, and fell in love with it. Bought the full version and never looked back. The game is incredible.
listen to this man people, pacman: championship edition is not just one of the best xbla experiences out there , it's one of the best games of 2007 so far.

This isn't about XBLA, but I didn't want to start a thread about it. Did anyone notice that you can download the HD version of 300 right now? That was pretty damn quick. I may have to check it out.

Sean

Banned
This weeks releases are up.

Hexic 2
Price: 800 Microsoft Points
Availability: All regions
Size: 56.50 MB
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (EVERYONE)] Single Player, Xbox LIVE Multiplayer 1-2, Local Multiplayer 1-2, HD (High Definition). Ready to put your hex-busting skills to the test? The game’s not over until you build a full cluster, flower, or line of black pearls! For an extra layer of challenge, match wits with a friend or the devious computer player in Battle mode.

Ecco the Dolphin
Price: 400 Microsoft Points
Availability: All regions
Size: 67.18 MB
Dash Text: Single Player, HD (High Definition) Help Ecco the dolphin find his missing friends by exploring his vast ocean world. You must surface for air and keep an eye out for enemies as you search the depths. Ecco's unique sonar ability will give you helpful information from other sea creatures.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/08/15/arcade-hexic-2-and-ecco-the-dolphin.aspx

From Minters forum, Space Giraffe achievements.

"Boi Bumbá" = get the BM up to x9 in one bull run.
"Mine's A 99" = Max out lives and BM both at x9.
"Great Green Arkleseizure" = Get more than 20 sneeze bonuses leaving a level.
"Professor of Giraffeology" = Score over 10 million on the Tutorial level.
"I Adore My 64" = Complete level 64 without losing a life (during the level, not during the whole game!)
"Klepto-Giraffe" = Collect 20 powerups without missing one.
"Girafa Caprichoso" = End 5 consecutive levels with BM x9.
"Girafa Garantido" = Don't lose a life for 16 levels.
"Pod Preserver" = Complete 16 levels without using jump.
"ERROR_SUCCESS" = Finish level 100.
"Long-Necked Long March" = Finish level 100, having started on level 1.
"Ewige Blumenkraft" - Keep the very first flower to grow on a level alive until the end of the level.

They were also posted back in march, it appears that the first achievement had a name change for some reason.

neopokekun said:
From Minters forum, Space Giraffe achievements.

"Boi Bumbá" = get the BM up to x9 in one bull run.
"Mine's A 99" = Max out lives and BM both at x9.
"Great Green Arkleseizure" = Get more than 20 sneeze bonuses leaving a level.
"Professor of Giraffeology" = Score over 10 million on the Tutorial level.
"I Adore My 64" = Complete level 64 without losing a life (during the level, not during the whole game!)
"Klepto-Giraffe" = Collect 20 powerups without missing one.
"Girafa Caprichoso" = End 5 consecutive levels with BM x9.
"Girafa Garantido" = Don't lose a life for 16 levels.
"Pod Preserver" = Complete 16 levels without using jump.
"ERROR_SUCCESS" = Finish level 100.
"Long-Necked Long March" = Finish level 100, having started on level 1.
"Ewige Blumenkraft" - Keep the very first flower to grow on a level alive until the end of the level.

They were also posted back in march, it appears that the first achievement had a name change for some reason.

Ah? Do Minters dig Brazilian (Amazon) Folklore? Three references to the legend and folklore festival of Paratins, Amazon (The Bull´s Festival): "Boi Bumbá" (generic name of that sort of festival), "Caprichoso" and "Garantido" (the name of rival bulls in the festival).

joaomgcd

Rlan said:
How the hell is Ecco 67 Megabytes? Seriously?

Yeah, I was thinking that too... It's on games like these that the size limit actually made sense. It forced the developers to make the game as small as possible.

Gowans

checked both the demos out on lunch,

I too have no idea why Echo is so big but is aged badly for me, such a difference between Sonic and this one.

As for Hexic2 well as I have said before I just don't get it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
joaomgcd said:
Yeah, I was thinking that too... It's on games like these that the size limit actually made sense. It forced the developers to make the game as small as possible.

Did they enhance the graphics at all? I never played the original.

Who knows, maybe it's movie bullshit used somewhere if they didn't enhance the graphics.

Jonnyram

Chiaroscuro said:
Ah? Do Minters dig Brazilian (Amazon) Folklore? Three references to the legend and folklore festival of Paratins, Amazon (The Bull´s Festival): "Boi Bumbá" (generic name of that sort of festival), "Caprichoso" and "Garantido" (the name of rival bulls in the festival).
I think he just likes bulls and stuff.

Rlan

Dr_Cogent said:
Did they enhance the graphics at all? I never played the original.

Who knows, maybe it's movie bullshit used somewhere if they didn't enhance the graphics.

By 'enhance' it means 'turn on 2D filter". It's not a remake or anything special. The filter actually looks pretty good in this game since it uses a lot of Genesis-esque gradients in the background.

The music wasn't updated either, or the Sega CD version.

pswii60

Rlan said:
By 'enhance' it means 'turn on 2D filter". It's not a remake or anything special. The filter actually looks pretty good in this game since it uses a lot of Genesis-esque gradients in the background.

The music wasn't updated either, or the Sega CD version.

I haven't played Ecco yet, but the filter works well on Sonic - at least at the distance I sit from my TV it looked far better than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom