• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarus

thirtytwoutside said:
News?

"Super Puzzle Fighter HD Remix has been approved by both first parties and as promised we will be doing a near-simultaneous release (at least, as near as their propping schedules will allow).

XBLA - August 29th - 800 points
PlayStation Network - August 30th - $10.00"

link

This totally deserves its own THREAD!

Mar

I just had my mind blown by Space Giraffe. It looks so fucking good.. I wasn't even drunk or stoned but I felt like I was whilst playing it. So incredibly trippy.

I had been waiting for this game for a while, even though I've never liked any Minter game before. Then the bad reviews came, and then a friend of mine who had also been waiting for it tried the demo and said it was crap. So I didn't have much hope and downloaded the demo instead of the full game like I was planning. But 2 minutes in and I had to buy the full game because this is just too awesome.

pswii60

Isn't Sensible Soccer confirmed for next week, too?

Puzzle Fighter + Sensible Soccer on the same day? Wha?????!?!!!

headexplode.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
steverulez said:
Sensible Soccer got delayed until September I think...

It is possible given the slipperiness of XBLA release dates but offically the game remains slated to come out August 29, 2007.

aku:jiki

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I can't get into Space Giraffe. Too much going on at once and my poor eyes can't take it.
Yeah, I'm feeling the same. I don't think I've ever died once in a way that was actually my fault. Every single time, it's just "WHAT THE FUCK?!" and I have zero clue what exactly killed me.

When you get hit by enemies, you have a slight pause to pull off a "tail bomb" and save yourself. Getting hit by flowers and bullets should've provided the same option to make it more playable. It'd still be pretty damn hard, and Minter claims in that presentation that he didn't even want SG to be hard. He failed!

I must've "gotten it" now, seeing as how I shot up from 100+ to position #9 on the leaderboards. :lol

The key for me is looking for flowers, catching them before they bloom. You can see the green lines showing that they're about to spawn and, basically, you never have to keep track of the basic enemies so you can just focus on keeping your power zone up and getting rid of flowers before they grow (I have never needed to actually actively keep them around to expand the power zone as you have the jump pods for that).

Later on, there's worse enemies that kill you when you reach the rim and shoot diagonally and annoying shit like that. Trick to killing them is to either push them off the edge (of the max power zone) like you'd take out a flower, or wait for them to reach the rim and jump and shoot them.

Kind of annoying that Minter's pretty clueless about his own game, though. In that Google presentation he talks about not having brick walls and not having difficulty spikes, but I think he's completely wrong. Every time a new enemy is introduced, there's both a brick wall and a huge spike for me. I need to practice it a few times to "get" the enemies, and if I'm getting there from level 1 I can be sure that my score ends there. Figuring new enemies out takes a bunch of extra lives, considering the fact that you don't really have time to focus completely on what they're doing with all the chaos going around. It's a very stop-and-start game and you have to start over a hell of a lot if you want a score or the 1-to-100 levels achievement.

It's getting more fun as I learn more, though. 400 well spent!

Triz

Doomgaze-MWFR said:
Someone can tell me if super puzzle fighter is the same of Dr Robotnik Mean Bean's machine ? Which was an awesome game

better, and not the same.

Mean bean machine is actually Puyo Poyo. Im not aware of another version of Super Puzzle Fighter

DrDogg

Triz said:
better, and not the same.

Mean bean machine is actually Puyo Poyo. Im not aware of another version of Super Puzzle Fighter

A lot of people get Puzzle Fighter and Pocket Fighter confused.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
XBLA Marketplace round up via Major Nelson.

Theme
Title: Street Trace:NYC

Content: Street Trace:NYC - Theme 2 - Comic Characters
Price: 150 Microsoft Points
Availability: All regions
Dash Text: Make your blades even cooler by adding this Street Trace: NYC comic character theme to your Dashboard!

Trailer

Content: Street Trace:NYC - Game Video
Price: Free
Size: 58.79 MB
Dash Text: [ESRB: E10+ (Everyone 10+) FANTASY VIOLENCE] Check out the attitude of Street Trace:NYC on Xbox LIVE Arcade by viewing this hot video! See how you can fire up your custom hoverboard and lay trail as you go screaming across abandoned, ruined highways while struggling to survive the carnage of the war arenas. Street Trace:NYC features multiplayer over Xbox LIVE with up to 8 players and up to 4 way splitscreen.

Title: Sensible World of Soccer

Content: Sensible World of Soccer Trailer (HD)
Price: Free
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone)] Get a sneak preview of Sensible World of Soccer now in this great video.

In Game Content
Title: Soltrio Solitaire

Content: Soltrio Solitaire - Game Pack 6
Price: 150 Microsoft Points
Dash Text: [ESRB: E (Everyone)] 9 games including Monte Carlo, Penguin and Freecell 2 deck. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Gamer Picture

Content: Street Trace:NYC - Gamer Picture Pack 1 - Game Characters
Price: 100 Microsoft Points
Dash Text: Trick out your gamercard with pictures of the nine game characters from Street Trace: NYC!

Just finished playing space giraffe for about 30 minutes. I feel a little funny now, and the first picture I saw on GAF after I was done looked like it was animated but it wasn't.

:lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Shard said:
Other new media from IGN XBOX 360.

New Switchball Movies.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/949/949501/vids_1.html

New Switchball Screenshots
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/949/949501/imgs_1.html

New Commanders: Attack! screenshots.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/949/949502/imgs_1.html

New XBLA casually revealed by IGN XBOX 360, Artemis Warriors, screenshots.
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/957/957892/imgs_1.html

Switchball looks fun and I like how it looks. The night-time stage is nice! :)

switchball-20070820034304961.jpg

Switchball is the new XBLA hotness.

Gowans

looks good, still have to finish the hard levels on the existing marble game :D

ps: another pack for Solitare has hit, im baffled once again,
any reviews for all these content packs out there anywhere?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gowans007 said:
looks good, still have to finish the hard levels on the existing marble game :D

ps: another pack for Solitare has hit, im baffled once again,
any reviews for all these content packs out there anywhere?

OXM seems to be the only ones doing such a thing.

Gowans

Shard said:
OXM seems to be the only ones doing such a thing.

nowhere online?

really wish more places would work on grading DLC thats put out there some of it can really change the games or be a tonne of fun themselves. Shame.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gowans007 said:
nowhere online?

really wish more places would work on grading DLC thats put out there some of it can really change the games or be a tonne of fun themselves. Shame.

http://www.xblarcade.com/node/1027

DLC Reviews: (Buy, Fanboys Only, or Deny)

* Lumines Live! Packs -- Deny
* Mad Tracks Encore -- Buy
* Soltrio Solitaire Game Packs 1-3 -- Fanboys Only (And we're up to Pack #5 now)
* Small Arms: Ivar & Gullarp -- Fanboys Only

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Shard said:
http://www.xblarcade.com/node/1027

DLC Reviews: (Buy, Fanboys Only, or Deny)

* Lumines Live! Packs -- Deny
* Mad Tracks Encore -- Buy
* Soltrio Solitaire Game Packs 1-3 -- Fanboys Only (And we're up to Pack #5 now)
* Small Arms: Ivar & Gullarp -- Fanboys Only

Hmmm, I quite liked the Lumines packs for the price. I guess I'm worse than a fanboy.

besiktas1

Wow, I can't wait for next week.

Anybody got any info (a name would be great too :D) for that Siera game, It looked like a total ripoff of AdvancedWars I saw a video for it on Gametrailers but can't find it now. That's the game I can't wait for, if it has online play (which I'm guessing it does I'm so there.

SOTN and Geometry Wars were my first XBLA purchases as a 360 owner. Geometry Wars is fuckin' awesome. I'm probably going to be playing it for 30 mins every night before I go to bed for a while. I have 800 points ready for Puzzle Fighter.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
besiktas1 said:
Wow, I can't wait for next week.

Anybody got any info (a name would be great too :D) for that Siera game, It looked like a total ripoff of AdvancedWars I saw a video for it on Gametrailers but can't find it now. That's the game I can't wait for, if it has online play (which I'm guessing it does I'm so there.

Yea, that would be Commanders: Attack! and I posted the new IGN Preview and thier video footage of the game a couple of pages back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CajoleJuice said:
SOTN and Geometry Wars were my first XBLA purchases as a 360 owner. Geometry Wars is fuckin' awesome. I'm probably going to be playing it for 30 mins every night before I go to bed for a while. I have 800 points ready for Puzzle Fighter.

Highly recommend Pac-Man: CE for your next purchase.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.xblarcade.com/node/1048

Right, those in the know are probably aware that Metal Slug has been slated to hit the favored XBLA service for sometime now. According to our friends over at XBLArcade.com SNK Playmore has come clean with the details that it will be in actuality one Metal Slug 3 according to their website. Those looking for corresponding evidence might want to check the big TGA Game list where under SNK Playmore they do indeed have Metal Slug 3 (in addition to Fatal Fury Special) slated to appear at TGS.

So I went digging around the old PN today again. I saw that Axis of Evil game but it was password protected so I didn't bother. Would've been nice to try.

The real find, though, was an actual factual manic vertical shmup. :O

No, it's not by Cave and it's not Ikaruga (and it's not by Treasure either), but it's a japanese arcade game now converted, which has to count for something. At least more than Aegis Wing. Either way it played fine and was fairly fun to me. Perhaps not the best entry into the genre, but the downloadable services have been sorely lacking true shmupping action.

And the achievements are in-fucking-sane. Like worse than Robotron. It has one for beating the game without ever dying, one for beating the game using no bombs, and one for not dying, not bombing and not missing a single boss (and from what I've played, some of the midbosses leave really quickly before you get a chance to blow them up). That's just stupid hard, and I love it. :D

aku:jiki said:
And the achievements are in-fucking-sane. Like worse than Robotron. It has one for beating the game without ever dying, one for beating the game using no bombs, and one for not dying, not bombing and not missing a single boss (and from what I've played, some of the midbosses leave really quickly before you get a chance to blow them up). That's just stupid hard, and I love it. :D
That's how achievement should be.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Impossible achievements rule. Even though I may never get some of them (or any of them), it's a good excuse to keep me playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom