• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well as far as good(okay maybe not good but better than Karate Champ and Bad Dudes) Data East games are concerned there's:

Gondomania
Midnight Resistance
Two Crude Dudes
Dark Seal 1 & 2 aka Gate of Doom & WizardFire
Night Slashers
Chelnov or Atomic Runner
Wolf Fang
Boogie Wings
Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon (Okay maybe I haven't played this one but look at that title! It's gotta be decent at least)

Kureishima said:
Yeah, just want to say... aside from Geo Wars / Geo Wars 2, Pac Man CE is really the next best thing, as far as godly status XBLA games go. Pac Man CE is really, really great.

Awww yeeeah. PMCE = one of my top games of the last few years. Incredibly fresh for a core game that's so ancient and been so regurgitated over the years.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SanjuroTsubaki said:
It could be higher, I'm currently right behind Wario64 on my friends leaderboard. 393,850.
Nice. This little conflagration inspired me to go back and work on improving mine some.

Hunahan

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well as far as good(okay maybe not good but better than Karate Champ and Bad Dudes) Data East games are concerned there's:

Gondomania
Midnight Resistance
Two Crude Dudes
Dark Seal 1 & 2 aka Gate of Doom & WizardFire
Night Slashers
Chelnov or Atomic Runner
Wolf Fang
Boogie Wings
Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon (Okay maybe I haven't played this one but look at that title! It's gotta be decent at least)
Oh damn! Good call on Atomic Runner. I'd forgotten all about that game. I could actually see that working out pretty well on a remake.

Ditto on Boogie Wings. I could see the whole vehicle swapping thing being a hot gimmick.

.....after that, the list certainly feels like it's scraping the bottom of the barrel, to be honest.

Except for Act-Fancer Cybernetick Hyper Weapon, which I agree must be awesome purely from the name.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-shelled
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/tmnt-turtles-in-time-reshelled/achievements/
There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

The Inflatable Reptilian Hero 5
Get flattened by any trap.

Seen My Bones? 5
Get zapped by any laser traps or attacks.

Invincible 5
Complete a level without having to use a single Power-up.

Turtle Tantrum! 5
Destroy more than 5 enemies using a destructible object.

Slow as a Turtle 10
Complete a level in under 3 minutes.

Lean, Green and Mean 20
Achieve more than 8,000 points.

Toe Be or Not Toe Be? 20
Avoid all traps in Level 3.

Ice, Ice, Turtle 20
Avoid Ice Ray traps in Level 8.

Staying Alive 25
Defeat the Final Boss without dying.

Turtle Power 25
Complete the game in Story Mode. (Normal difficulty onwards).

I Will Survive 30
Complete a Survival Mode game. (Normal difficulty onwards)

Heroes in a Half Shell 30
Complete the game with all 4 Turtles.

I never been keen on achievements which are given to you for mistakes or going out of the way to hurt / kill your player to get it, a better replacement would be imo to defeat 200 foot soldiers or something instead.

xbhaskarx

Diablohead said:
I never been keen on achievements which are given to you for mistakes or going out of the way to hurt / kill your player to get it

Agreed in principle, except for that one N+ achievement for dying 1000 times.

Sanjuro

Diablohead said:
I never been keen on achievements which are given to you for mistakes or going out of the way to hurt / kill your player to get it, a better replacement would be imo to defeat 200 foot soldiers or something instead.
I don't mind them. Usually they are only the bare minimum in terms of points. It's more to get a chuckle out of someone who doesn't read the achievement lists beforehand.

gafster1

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
never been keen on achievements which are given to you for mistakes or going out of the way to hurt / kill your player to get it, a better replacement would be imo to defeat 200 foot soldiers

I concur. Their should be "goals". I dont see them abusing this type, so I'm not bothered. I would agree they should be careful to minimize, but I wouldnt say outright "ban" is worthwhile.

Leave it up to the Devs.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Diablohead said:
Those are great when the death is hilarious.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Shard, is there anyway you can teleport me an early copy of this game? I know you can do it.

Only way to do that would be to supply you with a debug unit, which I don't have.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Diablohead said:

I think they're cool if they're 0 achievement points, which I've seen before.

On that note, I'm finally playing through Sonic 3 on XBLA.

I have gotten 6 out of 12 achievements in Angel Island Act 1.

The only reason I don't have more is because they are physically impossible to do so early (finish the game, complete Icecap, complete Hydrocity, complete Marble Garden, run across water).

And on second thought, I might be able to do "run across water" here...

Come on Sega. Really? How about "beat the game without having a game over or saving?" Or how about replacing all of the "complete _____ Zone" with "complete _____ Zone in under __ minutes" at least

How about "get all the chaos emeralds as early as possible," meaning you have to find the first seven special stage rings in the game and you can't miss a single one.

It's REALLY not that hard Sega. Take a cue from Mega Man 9.

Mar

CHR_AeON said:
In the latest edition of german games magazine "M! Games" there's a small article about Snap Drgon Games (developer / publisher of, amongst others, "Karate Phants" (WiiWare)). They are currently working on remakes of the following Data East games:

Bad Dudes Vs. Dragon Ninja (XBLA, PSN)
Karate Champ (XBLA)
Tumble Top (XBLA, PSN, WiiWare)

In addition, they are working on a completely new game, "Desert Creeps". All are scheduled for a 2010 release...

Awesome. Dragon Ninja will be an insta-buy for me. Played that arcade far too much back in the day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Psychotext said:
I have next to no interest in MvC... and in fact (no doubt to rile the fanboys), I think it looks terrible. :D

Turtles on the other hand might persuade me.

It isn't, don't worry.

Lothars

Psychotext said:
I have next to no interest in MvC... and in fact (no doubt to rile the fanboys), I think it looks terrible. :D

Turtles on the other hand might persuade me.

Well it's not terrible in fact to me it's one of the best fighters ever released even though it's far from perfect, I would definitely recommend to give it a chance.

Turtles is gonna be great as well, I can't wait for it.

Teknoman

Any reasons surfaced as to why TMNT was delayed in the first place? Also why isnt the original music being used...or at least remixes of the original music? Issues with Konami?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Teknoman said:
Any reasons surfaced as to why TMNT was delayed in the first place? Also why isnt the original music being used...or at least remixes of the original music? Issues with Konami?

Maybe an issue with the game music itself.

i'd get MVC if i wasn't terrible at fighting games. i've tried and tried.

i did get splosionman though, and i'm definitely getting shadow complex. trials HD looks nuts and i might get turtles.

Sonos

Banned
I've played the "Summer Of..." games that have so far been released and Magic is still miles above both released. I believe it will be much better than all 5. Not coming from a Magic fanboi either.

I has a feeling that Shadow Complex is going to be screen shot, overhyped poo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sonos said:
I've played the "Summer Of..." games that have so far been released and Magic is still miles above both released. I believe it will be much better than all 5. Not coming from a Magic fanboi either.

I has a feeling that Shadow Complex is going to be screen shot, overhyped poo.

Impressions I've seen from people who have played hit have been great.

Sonos

Banned
Plinko said:
Impressions I've seen from people who have played hit have been great.

I hope you are right its just in my experience that if its completely off my radar and all of a sudden appears with a huge hype train behind it (like this one), it disappoints.

Plus the new $15 standard makes me much more hesitant on everything. I see $10 on a decent game now and throw a pajama party.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Preview of South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64846

Release Date: October 7, 2009

The announcement of a new SouthPark game came two years ago at E3, with nothing more than a trailer showing off almost all of the cast at the time. Fans were both excited and scared that the series would be hitting Xbox Live Arcade. After all, the last company that had the license was Acclaim, and that agreement yielded a first-person shooter, a trivia game and a kart racing title. None of those offerings lit the gaming world on fire, and with the download size restrictions that Microsoft had at the time, no one knew what could be done within those confines. Some time has passed, and things have changed a bit. XBLA title sizes have grown larger, and people assumed that the SouthPark project had been canceled. At this year's San Diego Comic-Con, it was revealed that not only was the South Park game still alive and well, but it was also coming out sooner than anyone had expected.

South Park: Let's Play Tower Defense Go is, as the title suggests, a tower defense game. The premise is that the town of South Park is being invaded by various forces that include gnomes, hippies and the Ginger Kids. A wall similar to the Great Wall of China is being built around the town but it isn't enough to stop the invading hordes. As the main stars of the show, it's your job to stop the enemies before they overrun the town. You'll accomplish this by going from locale to locale assembling lasers, ball cannons, cherry bomb dispensers, etc., in order to dispatch the enemies in a typically gruesome fashion.

The most immediate difference one will see from this tower defense game in comparison to most others is the presence of your characters on the field. They take the place of a cursor in most games, but instead of just serving as an indicator of where to place the next weapon, they become an active part of territory defense by letting the player throw snowballs directly at the enemies. Each character will have varying strengths at which they can throw the white (or yellow) snow, and they'll also have various special moves that can be activated during combat. Cartman, for example, can use his bottled-up rage to clear the screen of all enemies while Stan can immediately upgrade weapons in his vicinity to the next level. In the single-player game, you can also place any unused characters anywhere on the board where they will act like towers, throwing snowballs at all passing enemies within range.

The other big difference is co-operative multiplayer. Every single one of the levels can be played with up to four players, with each one playing with the different characters that have been unlocked thus far. Multiplayer can be done with any combination of online and offline players. For example, you can have a total of three players on your console playing with one online person or two people on your console playing with another two people on another console. As an added bonus to the multiplayer gameplay, the game supports drop-in/drop-out gameplay. The game won't have to stop in the middle of a level just because your buddy wants a piece of the action.

While the game will have over 14 levels of play, there will be a ton of material to unlock. Aside from the aforementioned secret characters, players can unlock biographies of their characters and the enemies they encounter. The game will also unlock several videos that feature the characters and enemies from the TV episode in which they first appeared. It remains to be seen how many video clips are included in the final release, but we were told that there will be a ton, making one wonder just how big this game is going to be once it hits the marketplace.
The main knock against South Park: Let's Play Tower Defense Go so far would have to be the difficulty, or lack thereof. During the event, we were asked if we would like to turn up the difficulty of the game since earlier levels proved to be too easy for us. With the game turned up at the highest difficulty level possible, it didn't feel any different. The waves of enemies barely reached the halfway point in the area before it ended. Considering that the group playing consisted of casual tower defense players, this revelation was a bit concerning. If this can be tweaked before the game launches, then there will be no doubt that this will be a defense game that both genre fans and South Park fans will be glad to look forward to this October.

xbhaskarx

Sonos said:
I hope you are right its just in my experience that if its completely off my radar and all of a sudden appears with a huge hype train behind it (like this one), it disappoints.

I would say Splosion Man was pretty much off the radar until it suddenly appeared with huge hype (for a XBLA game)...

gafster1

Neo Member
Shard said:
New Preview of South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=64846

In light of the South Park TD game, I'd really like to point out the Community (Indy) Title
Horn Swaggle Islands

CatalogImage.aspx

CatalogImage.aspx

It has some real innovation in the genre, excellent execution and a great price @ 400pts.

(Aside: GAF needs an Official Xbox Live Indy Games Thread)

omg rite said:
I think they're cool if they're 0 achievement points, which I've seen before.

On that note, I'm finally playing through Sonic 3 on XBLA.

I have gotten 6 out of 12 achievements in Angel Island Act 1.

The only reason I don't have more is because they are physically impossible to do so early (finish the game, complete Icecap, complete Hydrocity, complete Marble Garden, run across water).

And on second thought, I might be able to do "run across water" here...

Come on Sega. Really? How about "beat the game without having a game over or saving?" Or how about replacing all of the "complete _____ Zone" with "complete _____ Zone in under __ minutes" at least

How about "get all the chaos emeralds as early as possible," meaning you have to find the first seven special stage rings in the game and you can't miss a single one.

It's REALLY not that hard Sega. Take a cue from Mega Man 9.
Trust me, I know. The achievements are pathetic in Sonic 3. "Get 50 rings" "Complete level X" "Complete level Y" "Run on water" . . Total and absolute fail.

Sonic 2 achievements (such as beat level under X time) were better, but their difficulty was zero. It took no real effort to get them.

Honestly, I'm suprised we haven't seen a XBLA of the classic 80's style of GI Joe. I guess they figured the full retail release of a next gen GI Joe was enough.

Kafel

Banned
gafster1 said:
In light of the South Park TD game, I'd really like to point out the Community (Indy) Title
Horn Swaggle Islands

Like 95% of the Indie Games, it's over-priced. Why would I pay this thing 5 € when I can have better for only 1 € ? The guys there are like in a bubble, they think they should price their games according to the time they've spent on it. No matter how unvaluable is their time when there's an obvious lack of talent for most of them.

MS know how to run a business and helped them giving them the new possibility to price their basic games at 80 points but no, they still fail to see how to get sales and rather complain instead.

Kafel said:
Like 95% of the Indie Games, it's over-priced. Why would I pay this thing 5 € when I can have better for only 1 € ? The guys there are like in a bubble, they think they should price their games according to the time they've spent on it. No matter how unvaluable is their time when there's an obvious lack of talent for most of them.

MS know how to run a business and helped them giving them the new possibility to price their basic games at 80 points but no, they still fail to see how to get sales and rather complain instead.

WAit, so Haggle Waggle Island sucks? And there is a better Indie option for 80 points? What's it called?

Sonos

Banned
gafster1 said:
It has some real innovation in the genre, excellent execution and a great price @ 400pts.

Looks pretty cool I'll check it out. The Final Fantasy tower defense game is pretty cool, dont forget that one. Fan service just like South Park. 800 points which seems reasonable these days. :(

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Honestly, I'm suprised we haven't seen a XBLA of the classic 80's style of GI Joe. I guess they figured the full retail release of a next gen GI Joe was enough.
From the previews, the console version sounds simplistic enough

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
finally played Trials HD today -- it's on par with what I expected. Metal playing in the background, explosions left and right, funny crashes, and a neat tracker to show you how your friends performed on the level.

gafster1 said:
Horn Swaggle Islands

CatalogImage.aspx

CatalogImage.aspx

No it's pretty much a piece of shit that "borrows" heavily from DTD. It might be worth a buck, but that's even stretching it a bit IMO.

Next-War is a much, much, better game at 80pts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom