• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
LovingSteam said:
How many XBLA gamea do you all have? I am curious.
44 (45 when I finally get around to buying MvsC2). Most of them I bought a while back, though... I'm much more picky about what I buy nowadays, since I don't get to play as often.

elektrixx

Banned
I have 43 Arcade games. I have Puzzle Quest (the older one) and 'Splosion Man on my hard drive, which I will eventually buy one day when I run out of games to play.

Lothars

LovingSteam said:

I have about a 122 games but probably more than that, I just counted them off the marketplace.xbox.com but not sure if I missed a couple.

Scott

LovingSteam said:
Surprisingly only 8... I thought it was more than that.

There are a bunch that I still plan to get, though (the Penny Arcade titles, Shadow Complex, Galactrix, Phantasy Star II, etc), but it'll be awhile as time to play games is in short supply right now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Puzzle Bobble Live

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/puzzle-bobble-live/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

A Single Jewel 10
Clear 1 Zone in 1P Puzzle mode.

Hero of the Day 20
Win all matches in CPU Battle mode.

Slay Thy Enemy 10
Win one match in CPU Battle mode.

A Beautiful Journey 20
Clear 1 Route in 1P Puzzle mode.

The Dream Traveler 30
Win all matches in CPU Battle mode.

Master of Infinite Patience 20
Play in Infinity mode for 60 consecutive minutes.

Twisted Genius 10
Destroy bubbles by bouncing a bubble 3 times.

Like a Shooting Star 20
Break through at least 30 bubbles.

A Flash of Brilliance 15
Clear any stage in 5 seconds or less.

A Rock-Steady Friendship 15
Play 30 player matches.

A Rocky Friendship 20
Win 5 player matches.

The First Step in the Hardest 10
Win one Xbox LIVE Match.

:D Is happy i managed to beat Double Dragon without continuing getting the 35 points. Now i just need the get to level 4 in multiplayer or whatever for perfect 200

KAL2006

Banned
I dont think its been mentioned. R Type Dimention is the deal of the week. 800 points. It used to be 1200 which was a crazy price for this type of game.

KAL2006 said:
I dont think its been mentioned. R Type Dimention is the deal of the week. 800 points. It used to be 1200 which was a crazy price for this type of game.
So tempting, I wanted the game when it first hit but I lost live for a while at the time.

Anso

LovingSteam said:

65 of 'em. Also 2 XBL Indie games.
Will pick up MvC2 and some other game when I get paid.

KAL2006 said:

Not really crazy, you got two fantastic arcade titles in both original and remade form. But yeah, for 800 everyone should buy it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Sad_Panda said:
So, Bust-A-Move's finally coming to XBLA, eh ? Sure took them long enough, it better be worth it.
On a side note, Sega needs to jump more seriously on the XBLA train and release Puyo Puyo and ChuChu Rocket. Especially Puyo Puyo : with 7 just released for DS, I'm holding out hope for an XBLA port with online play.

Hell yeah.

Puzzle Bobble is cool, but Puyo Pop / Mean Bean Machine is my favorite game in that genre - I'll buy that in an instant whenever that shows up...

Jonsoncao said:
wat? I thought this week was for Turtles

There can always be other games released alongside the designated Summer of Arcade game for the week...

And yeah, I think I'm gonna be all over the new Jonathan Blow game when it gets properly revealed - Braid is brilliant.

I have about 10 or 15 arcade games. My purchases have been going up and up though. I can see I'll eventually have a lot (as the quality of XBLA is going up rapidly).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Skilotonn said:
There can always be other games released alongside the designated Summer of Arcade game for the week...
So what all comes out this week? I can't access any actual release websites behind the web filter I'm on right now.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kron said:
Tomorrow is set to be:

Bubble Bobble Neo | 800 points
TMNT: Turtles in Time | 800 points

Yup, there you go...

Diablohead said:
TMNT is 1200 I thought, I wish it was 800.

Well, your wish was granted sometime last week - apparently people bitching about the price got the price dropped to 800 points - so yeah, if you were on the fence because of the price before, you have no reason to pass on it now...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Caspel said:
finally played Trials HD today -- it's on par with what I expected. Metal playing in the background, explosions left and right, funny crashes, and a neat tracker to show you how your friends performed on the level.
Be forewarned, it gets hard. Soul shatteringly hard. But rarely frustrating and never impossible. Trials HD will be the first Summer of XBLA 2009 game I buy.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
SapientWolf said:
Be forewarned, it gets hard. Soul shatteringly hard. But rarely frustrating and never impossible. Trials HD will be the first Summer of XBLA 2009 game I buy.

Really? I'm hoping Shadow Complex turns out to be a stellar game. No signs of playing that anytime soon though for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alien Breed interview

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2009/aug/04/games-retro

Last month, UK developer Team 17 announced that it was developing an update of its smash hit Amiga blaster, Alien Breed. As with the latest versions of Worms, the title will be self-published and distributed as a digital download via the likes of Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

To find out a little more, we fired some questions over to Martyn Brown, the studio director. Here's what he had to say...

What led you to select Alien Breed for a PSN/XBLA update?
Alien Breed has always been one of our most-loved and well known IP's and we had looked to have developed a new version of it for some time. When the opportunity arose to develop a next generation version, we leapt at it.

Is anyone from the original team involved in the project at all?
Rico Holmes (original art & design on the Amiga edition) took part in the early pre-production and Allister Brimble has re-mastered a new edition of the original score. Other than myself being around, that's pretty much it for the old guard, but it was a very small team back in 1991, whereas around 30 people have contributed to the new game.

In general, what's it like to work with PSN and Xbox Live? Was the
development environment like?
We've used Unreal3 for the new game, which we've had a fair bit of experience on, so that made development reasonably fair. We've released titles on both XBLA and PSN before, so we know our way around the libraries - nothing was a huge surprise really.

What do you think are the key elements behind Alien Breed's continuing popularity?
At it's heart, the game is an arcade-style shooter with atmosphere. It's a real blast with two players in co-op or a more nervy-paced narrative with single-player. We've kept the same eerie vibe and moments of panic as with the original.

So this is a reasonably faithful remake?
We're terming the game a "retro modern remake." The old game looks very simple now and it's amazing to think that 18 years ago it was pretty much state of the art. Gameplay has been modernised to an extent (controllers, online play) and light RPG functionality added (object selection etc).

And how about the art-style? Will you retain the original's stylised feel?
I think we've retained the slick look but at the same time utterly modernised it, particularly with really cool particles (smoke, sparks, sheens) and transparencies, depth of image, etc. It really does look awesome.

Will there be any features that you wanted to put into the Amiga
version that you couldn't?
The Amiga version was very limited in terms of memory and what we could run without it slowing down. In the Amiga version, only 5 aliens could be on screen at once! No such problem with the new edition...

So can we expect the overall gameplay to be enhanced?
There's enhancements right around the game; I think a lot of people are seeing this as simply a pretty new edition, but it's a total and complete remake. You could play the entire original game through in 40mins, this one takes way more than that for each of the five main acts (and the game has two more chapters in Episodes 2 and 3, which follow the main game as separate releases later).

How will the co-op and multiplayer work?
Co-op can be played locally and on-line, in the battle mode - where chaos
runs supreme!

Do you think this business model of self-publishing digital games is going to become common in the UK industry?
Totally. I can't see how it cannot. We have decided to go digital download only for all our titles now. It means games direct to our consumers, with more controlled development for us, cheaper titles and likely more casual titles. There will be a place in retail for the huge AAA releases, but that's not a market where we wish to participate.

Are you planning any original IP for downloadable distribution?
Absolutely, four or five titles are now in development in addition to Worms and our Alien Breed series. The ability to self publish digital titles means that we can make decisions and take our own risks, this wasn't possible via third-party publishing to a large extent.

We've had Worms and Alien Breed - what other vintage Team 17 titles do you think would work well on the digital download platforms?
A lot of people have asked about our back catalogue and Superfrog always seems to pop up, but we have no plans for that as yet. Perhaps on some of the handheld platforms it might make sense. We're taking the opportunity to look at the older IP but carefully considering it. The new technology on platforms allows us to do new exciting things and perhaps that's more of an interest right now...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sad_Panda said:
So, Bust-A-Move's finally coming to XBLA, eh ? Sure took them long enough, it better be worth it.
On a side note, Sega needs to jump more seriously on the XBLA train and release Puyo Puyo and ChuChu Rocket. Especially Puyo Puyo : with 7 just released for DS, I'm holding out hope for an XBLA port with online play.

I don't think it's Bust a Move/Puzzle Bobble. Looking at the screenshots, it looks like a different game.

Mar

Kron said:
They both are coming, You've got the traditional arcade Bubble Bobble (Bubble Bobble Neo) being released tomorrow and sometime in the future 'Puzzle Bobble Live!' is released.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/bubble-bobble-neo/achievements/

Oh man, this:

Food Master 20
Collect all foods.

Is going to be the hardest thing to do in the game. There are millions of food items in Bubble Bobble, and a lot of them have really weird ass circumstances for appearing. Those circumstances build up in the 'pipe' over the course of many many games. If you reset the game then that pipe is also reset.

Going to be lots of fun to try and get it though...

Foxtail

Neo Member
Caspel said:
finally played Trials HD today -- it's on par with what I expected. Metal playing in the background, explosions left and right, funny crashes, and a neat tracker to show you how your friends performed on the level.

Where do you write for?

I'm more excited for Bubble Bobble than TMNT, as I've never understood the current irrational love for the franchise. Sure it was OK about 20 years ago, but damn, nothing good has been done with TMNT for the longest time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom