• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyte Edge said:
It doesn't have online co-op. :(

Ugh! I misread the entry on xbox.com - "team up for offline co-op." *head hits desk*

I still want it, but that's pretty disappointing considering it's Bubble Bobble we're talking about here. :(

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DimmuBurgerKing said:
Ugh! I misread the entry on xbox.com - "team up for offline co-op." *head hits desk*

I still want it, but that's pretty disappointing considering it's Bubble Bobble we're talking about here. :(

Well, in all fairness, we seemed to get by on Bubble Bobble offline co-op for the past 20 or so years.

nocode

Looks pretty cool.

On a side note, this reminded me of the old c64 game Racing Destruction Set. Is it too much to ask for an updated release on xbla or psn? That would be so bad-ass imo.

dejay

Banned
LocoMrPollock said:
I hope it has earned upgrades and customization and shit like that.

Judging from this screen shot you can at least buy upgrades.

308yxid.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/08/28/sonic-knuckles-out-on-xbla-on-september-9th/

Sonic & Knuckles — sequel/counterpart to Sonic 3 for SEGA Genesis — is due out this September 9th for XBox Live Arcade. The best news? The game will emulate the “lock-on” technology available in the original. This means that it will work with previous XBLA releases of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and Sonic 3.

Here’s how it works: If you have any of the previous XBLA Sonic games (1, 2, or 3) , Sonic and Knuckles will detect this and unlock additional options for play. Here’s what you can get:

Sonic the Hedgehog: Unlocks the game “Blue Sphere”, the bonus/Chaos Emerald level from Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Lets you play as Knuckles, complete with the ability to get to previously inaccessible areas of the game, and new power-ups added for playingas Knuckles
Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Play as Knuckles in Sonic 3, and also changes the flow of the game and connects it directly to Sonic & Knuckles, so that you can play the two seamlessly!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Axel & Pixel

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/axel-and-pixel/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Good Start! 5
Complete first chapter.

Spring 10
Complete spring season.

Summer 10
Complete summer season.

Autumn 10
Complete autumn season.

Winter 10
Complete winter season and defeat the Ice Giant.

Master Painter 30
Complete the masterpiece.

Dog's Dinner 10
Find all bones.

Great Aviator 15
Score over 10000 points in the balloon minigame.

Great Driver 15
Score over 10000 points in the car minigame.

Great Sailor 15
Score over 10000 points in the boat minigame.

Little Helper 20
Complete the story under 20 clues.

Points in Paint 50
Complete the story with the score over 42000 points.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Achievements: Military Madness: Nectaris

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/military-madness/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

Battle of the Bears 10
In the campaign, destroy a squad of POLARS with a squad of GRIZZLYS or vise-versa.

Top Gun 10
In the campaign, get a squad of EAGLES, FALCONS, or HUNTERS to Rank 8.

Snack Time 10
In the campaign, destroy a squad of RABBITS with a squad of LYNX.

Mule Be Sorry 10
In the campaign, destroy a loaded MULE squad.

Humiliation 10
In a Ranked Match, destroy an 8-troop strong unit in a single attack.

AYBABTU 10
Win a Ranked Match by capturing an enemy base.

Search and Destroy 10
Win a Ranked Match by destroying all enemy squads or by your opponent surrendering.

In Command 10
Attain player level 30, unlocking all Commander Customization for Ranked Matches.

Long Haul 25
Attain player level 50.

Too Easy 25
Win a Ranked Match without selecting any Commander Customization.

Saved the World 25
Complete the normal campaign.

Military Master 45
Complete the advanced campaign.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
cjelly said:
Reminds me of Micro Machines! Do want!
Micro Machines rocked so much face on the N64. I just don't know how they can do pink slip races when people will just disconnect after they lose.

edit: Scrap Metal looks more like Mashed, which had a limited US release.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DORITOS AND MICROSOFT TEAM UP TO PUT CREATIVE CONTROL OF UPCOMING XBOX LIVE ARCADE GAME IN PEOPLE’S HANDS

Two User-Generated Game Concepts to be Developed Into Xbox LIVE® Arcade Games;

One Fan-Selected Winner Will Receive $50,000 Dream Assignment as Doritos Gaming Consultant

Plano, TX (August 31, 2009) —As one of the leading consumer brands to successfully cross over into the world of video games, Doritos tortilla chips -- a flagship snack brand within PepsiCo’s Frito-Lay division -- today announced it will once again offer the creative opportunity of a lifetime to video game lovers with the chance to design a new Xbox LIVE® Arcade game. Today marks the return of “Unlock Xbox,” a ground-breaking video game design contest that puts the creative control to design an Xbox LIVE Arcade game in consumers’ hands.

The Unlock Xbox contest, which is driven by a collaboration between the Doritos brand and Microsoft, originated in 2007 and lead to the creation of the record-breaking “Doritos Dash of Destruction,” the first consumer-created Xbox LIVE Arcade game, which went on to become the fastest Xbox LIVE Arcade game to reach one million downloads.

Starting today, people in North America are invited to submit game concepts that embody the big, bold and intense spirit of the Doritos brand, for the chance to have their idea developed into an Xbox LIVE Arcade game for the Xbox 360. Fans can review the submission terms and enter their ideas via video submission through October 4, 2009 at www.unlockxbox.com.

Rlan

Just so nobody asks again:

This week on XBLA -

defensegridbannerdefault.jpg

"The definitive tower defense game for Xbox LIVE, Defense Grid: The Awakening is easy to pick up, engrossing to play, and hard to set down. Strategically place your towers on the map to prevent alien enemies from stealing your power cores. Play for just fifteen minutes or several hours! This award-winning game includes 10 hours of story play with 20 unique maps in the Awakening campaign, four bonus Borderlands maps, a wide variety of tower and enemy types, an interactive soundtrack, plus over 100 unlockable challenge modes adding dozens of hours of additional fun. Protect the Cores!"

Defense Grid will be available this Wednesday for 800 Microsoft Points, and I highly recommend it.

yohobannerdefault.jpg

"Immerse yourself in the fully 3-D pirate world of Yo-Ho Kablammo. Master your vessel and take to the seas in this frantic action-packed game. Blast your foes with cannon fire, collect numerous power-ups to give you the upper hand, and collect the spoils of your victory. Set your sails and navigate a variety of ships all with unique playing styles.

"Play the single player challenges or battle your friends in multiplayer madness online and offline, to show who the true pirate is. Only one can survive in these ruthless times, will it be you? Your ship awaits, captain!"

Yo Ho Kablammo will be available this Wednesday for 800 Microsoft Points.

cboxprennyarcadeepisode2.jpg

This week, thanks to the Penny Arcade Expo, Penny Arcade Adventures Episode 2 is 33% off for Xbox Live Gold subscribers. You can now grab it for 800 Microsoft Points, down from the usual 1200.

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/08/this_week_on_xbla_defense_grid.php

Also, I mocked these up over the weekend, man I'd love it to happen :)

jazz1.jpg

jazz2.jpg

jazz3.jpg

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/08/weekend_fun_what_if_shadow_com.php#more

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Military Madness Secures Release Date

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/101/1019882p1.html

August 31, 2009 - We've been following the Xbox Live Arcade version of the classic strategy game Military Madness for months, but the game finally has a release date that's not too far off: September 30. For $10 you get the retro turn-based strategy affair that originally appeared on the Turbo-Grafx 16 back in 1990. Modern features have been added, such as four-player online battles, 3D visuals, and the new Commander Unit.

No word, yet, on when the PlayStation Network and WiiWare versions of Military Madness will arrive.

Barrett2

So I just bought a 360 Elite today, should be here on Thurs.

Anyone want to recommend me a few 'hidden gems' on the XBLA store? I know i'll be buying Shadow Complex, Braid, PacMan CE, etc., but beyond that my knowledge of the available games is thin. So what are a few games I shouldn't overlook? Thanks.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
lawblob said:

Anyone want to recommend me a few 'hidden gems' on the XBLA store? I know i'll be buying Shadow Complex, Braid, PacMan CE, etc., but beyond that my knowledge of the available games is thin. So what are a few games I shouldn't overlook? Thanks.

Jetpac Refueled
Assault Heroes 1 and 2
Cloning Clyde
Marble Blast Ultra
Omega Five
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Maw
Aces of the Galaxy
Pinball FX
Catan/Carcassonne/Ticket to Ride

Jonsoncao

Banned
lawblob said:

popular hits: castle crashers, bomberman live, geometry wars 1&2, castlevania, worms
sleeper hits: N+, Roogoo, Exit 1&2, Rez HD, E4, prince of persia classic, splosion man, monkey island, rocket riot, space invader extreme

also puzzle quest is on sale next week

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
lawblob said:

I recommend Poker Smash, which is basically Tetris Attack + Poker.

Grecco

lawblob said:

N+ definetly. Maybe the most underrated game of this gen.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Outpost Kaloki X
Cloning Clyde
A Kingdom for Keflings

...all great. All by NinjaBee. BOW DOWN TO NINJABEE.

Nelo Ice

Banned
speaking of ninjabee...
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/102/1020193p1.html

Over three years ago now, NinjaBee and and J. Kenworthy Entertainment delivered a quirky action game to Xbox Live Arcade called Cloning Clyde, which IGN awarded an 8.1. Today the spiritual successor to Cloning Clyde was announced: Ancients of Ooga. The developers aren't ready to release too many details, yet, but they did forward along a piece of concept art showing a cartoon ogre fellow.

"Ever since we released Cloning Clyde we've been bombarded with requests for a sequel," said John Nielson, founder of J. Kenworthy Entertainment. "Although Ancients of Ooga is not a sequel to Cloning Clyde, it is what we like to call a spiritual successor because of how heavy an influence Cloning Clyde had on its creation. Just like Cloning Clyde, Ancients of Ooga is going to bring originality, humor, its own unique artistic style, and extremely creative gameplay to Xbox Live Arcade."

Ooga_1251759718.jpg

xbhaskarx

lawblob said:

Every game has a free trial, so try any game you're not sure about before you buy. And if you have a brand new 360 Elite with plenty of HDD space, you might as well download all of these:

A Kingdom for Keflings
Alien Hominid HD
Age of Booty
Assault Heroes 1 and 2
Banjo 1 and 2
Battlefield 1943
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Bomberman LIVE
Braid
Carcassonne
Castle Crashers
Castlevania SOTN
Catan
Cloning Clyde
Death Tank
Doom
Duke Nukem 3D
E4
Flock
Galaga Legions
Geometry Wars 2
Ikaruga
Jetpac Refuelled
Lode Runner
Lumines Live
Magic The Gathering
Marble Blast Ultra
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mega Man 9
Monkey Island
Mutant Storm 1 and 2
N+
Omega Five
Outpost Kaloki X
OutRun
Pac-Man CE
Peggle
Portal
Prince of Persia
Puzzle Quest
R-Type Dimensions
Rez HD
Rocket Riot
Roogoo
Sam&Max
Shadow Complex
Sonic 1-3
Soul Calibur
Space Invaders Extreme
Splosion Man
Super Street Fighter 2 HD
Dishwasher Dead Samurai
The Maw
Ticket to Ride
TMNT Reshelled
Trials HD
Uno
Virtual-On OT
Worms 2 Armageddon

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
lawblob said:

Cloning Clyde, Uno and Marble Blast Ultra are a must.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, I really love the style of PB Winterbottom - first time I'm seeing it despite it being shown since last year's E3, and just from the screenshots, the jump from the original flash-looking trailer to those new pics is just as huge as the dev said in the YouTube comment...

Definitely getting this one as well.

Barrett2

Good lord there are a ton of games to check out. Pretty sure i'll quickly drop $100 on XBL games before I even know whats going on. :lol

xbhaskarx

lawblob said:
Good lord there are a ton of games to check out. Pretty sure i'll quickly drop $100 on XBL games before I even know whats going on. :lol

Save some money for Serius Sam HD and Perfect Dark because they're both coming later this year.
And don't forget to check out the two Indie Games threads.

segarr

Skilotonn said:
Man, I really love the style of PB Winterbottom - first time I'm seeing it despite it being shown since last year's E3, and just from the screenshots, the jump from the original flash-looking trailer to those new pics is just as huge as the dev said in the YouTube comment...

Definitely getting this one as well.
Winterbottom+Fez is like a double-barreled indie gaming shotgun blast to the face.

No one ever gives Triggerheart Exelica any love. It's not a great shooter by any means, but I'd say it's still worth picking up if you're a fan of the genre.

I'd add Puzzle Fighter HD, Switchball and Dash of Destruction (free Doritos game) to that list as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lawblob said:

seriously just download every single demo on the service and go from there. that goes for indie games too. you can normally tell within 4-5 minutes if the game is worth playing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom