• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
So do you think the choices on the Sega poll will eventually all be released on XBLA? As much as I hate the Backbone Genesis ports, I would probably drop a five to have some Wonderboy in Monster World achievements (and support the series as I have the PS2 collection and the VC version). Then again, the achievements will probably be terrible.

I just picked up Halo 3 and can't believe that to get the two map packs offered, they're nearly 20 dollars combined.

For maps.

What kind of rape is that? Plus they're over half a gig? ... :-/

Rlan

Update: Seems it's not the game, but the players' ships from R-Gear what has been added for this iteration. Though, hey, you never know. Thanks to Aries no Kobayan for the clarifying picture!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Gaddamn it, internet. First it's reported Layer Section HD is up on Partnernet, then it turns out to be RayStorm HD. Then you report R-Gear is on RayStorm, then it's just ship skins.

You gotta stop doing this to me. My poor heart can't take much more.

Update: Seems it's not the game, but the players' ships from R-Gear what has been added for this iteration. Though, hey, you never know. Thanks to Aries no Kobayan for the clarifying picture!

Rlan said:

537iw8.gif

Anyone know if Big Rooster is still planning some XBLA releases?

6-12 months ago, they were talking about Wings of War, Tide of Iron, and Zombies, all being on XBL. Lately, haven't heard a peep out of them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
DeuceMojo said:

6-12 months ago, they were talking about Wings of War, Tide of Iron, and Zombies, all being on XBL. Lately, haven't heard a peep out of them.

Good question.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, here is a nugget of bad news about Zombies!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/30/zombies-looking-for-new-developer/

It appears that Zombies!!! is in search of new brains to develop its video game adaptation. Speaking to Big Download, Zombies!!! license holder Twilight Creations stated it is currently looking for another company to develop the game and "cannot disclose the status of [former developer] Big Rooster."

Wait, what? Who asked about Big Rooster?

Big Rooster is the Madison, Wisconsin, developer that had the video game adaptation of Talisman pulled from it, publisher Capcom later stated there was a "misfire" in its development. We've reached out to Big Rooster to find out if the company had any comment, but apparently Big Download had the same experience contacting the developer as we did, with emails yet to be returned and the phones being "disconnected."

Rlan

DeuceMojo said:

Big Rooster's website appears to be down at the moment, however looking up the people who work there through LinkedIn they seem to still be in business.

Apparently they were part of some outsourcing for Aliens: Colonial Marines, at least early on. Don't know if they're still working with Gearbox on that now and therefore don't have the man power to complete those other projects just yet:

http://www.linkedin.com/companies/big-rooster-llc?trk=cus_copro_tab

FrankT

PopCap to Launch Peggle(TM) Nights on Xbox LIVE(R) Arcade

Award-Winning Sequel to Peggle Will Bring Exclusive Multiplayer Features and Great New Gameplay to XBLA Players This Fall in Anticipated Expansion Pack

SEATTLE, Aug. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- PopCap Games, the leading developer and publisher of broadly appealing video games, today announced the upcoming launch of Peggle(TM) Nights on the Xbox LIVE(R) Arcade (XBLA) online service of Microsoft's Xbox 360(R) video game console. Tuned specifically for the XBLA player, Peggle Nights is an expansion for the original Peggle (XBLA) and includes all the levels and challenges from the PC and Mac versions of Peggle Nights - along with the ability to play all the new Nights content in the exclusive multiplayer modes found only on XBLA. The Peggle Nights expansion pack will be available for download exclusively on Xbox LIVE this fall.

Peggle Nights is the top-selling follow up to the award-winning game franchise, Peggle, whose XBLA version quickly became a fan favorite of Xbox LIVE Arcade players earlier this year. Peggle Nights will feature all the great gameplay of the original PC version as well as the ability to battle friends and foes, and compare Peggle prowess in the 4-player Peg Party and 2-player Duel modes, the only online multiplayer modes available in any of the many Peggle adaptations to date.

Features in the Peggle Nights expansion pack for XBLA will include:

60 new Peggle Nights levels for multiplayer over Xbox LIVE and all single player/local modes
Peggle Nights Adventure mode (60 levels), including the Nights story
60 new Peggle Nights Challenges
A new Peggle Master, Marina
Peggle Nights trophy room
Peggle Nights adventure statistics
New style shots from Peggle Nights PC (available as title upgrade for all Peggle XBLA players)
Three new Xbox 360 achievements worth a total of 50 gamerscore, bringing Peggle up to a total of 250 gamerscore.

"The addictive and fun gameplay of the Peggle franchise translates extremely well when tuned for the XBLA platform," noted Sukhbir Sidhu, co-creator of Peggle and studio chief at PopCap. "Since launching earlier this year, Peggle for XBLA earned top awards from industry critics while taking full advantage of the XBLA multiplayer format to deliver an incredible gameplay experience. Peggle Nights essentially doubles the size of the Peggle XBLA universe for players everywhere."

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-26-2009/0005083232&EDATE=

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not that I won't triple dip on Peggle Nights, but there's absolutely no technical reason it couldn't have been in the original XBLA Peggle besides fleecing people for more cash.

xbhaskarx

Stumpokapow said:
Not that I won't triple dip on Peggle Nights, but there's absolutely no technical reason it couldn't have been in the original XBLA Peggle besides fleecing people for more cash.

Sure free would always be nice, but there was never any doubt that Peggle Nights was eventually coming to XBLA as 400 point DLC, was there?

Rlan

It's 60 new levels. Hell, they could have released it as a separate game like they did on PC.

Bloody whiners whining about 60 new levels, all which are pretty much better designed over the original game :)

Peggle Nights? More Peggle?

Oh. Snaps.

I am certain long Peggle sessions (my wife and I love it, and it got her into gaming) caused my XBOX to red ring the first time. We played for hours on end. Time to start saving for a new XBOX - because I sense long Peggle sessions in my future.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stumpokapow said:
To be somewhat fair to PopCap (who are genuises at milking), $10 for Peggle, with the awesome new party mode, was and still is one of the best deals on the service. I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about the amount of content you get in that game. Looking forward to playing through Nights again. I'd expect it at 400 but it would still be a good deal at 800.

I would have been happier with Peggle Nights as a seperate game...

- Three new Xbox 360 achievements worth a total of 50 gamerscore, bringing Peggle up to a total of 250 gamerscore.

This is my disappointment.

Oh well. Time for me to Triple Dip! :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Those Hot Xbox Live Arcade Peggle Nights

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/those-hot-xbox-live-arcade-peggle-nights/

What could possibly be better than Peggle on Xbox Live Arcade? More Peggle on Xbox Live Arcade! PopCap Games has announced a Peggle Nights expansion, doubling the size of the original release.

While Peggle Nights for the PC was a standalone title, the game being released this fall (our spring) in the form of an expansion pack for the Xbox Live Arcade version of Peggle. Along with the potential to add 50 more points to your gamerscore, Peggle Nights will deliver 60 new levels for play both online and off, 60 new Peggle Challenges, and the Peggle Nights adventure mode, which tells the story of the ball-dropping game.

The expansion also comes with new style shots from the PC version of Peggle, which will be made available as a title upgrade for all Peggle players.

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m of the opinion that you can never have too much Peggle. When I am found dead under a pile of tiny metal ball bearings you can savor the irony.

AstroLad said:
To be somewhat fair to PopCap (who are genuises at milking), $10 for Peggle, with the awesome new party mode, was and still is one of the best deals on the service. I don't think anyone can reasonably complain about the amount of content you get in that game. Looking forward to playing through Nights again. I'd expect it at 400 but it would still be a good deal at 800.
I just picked up Peggle DS for $5. I don't think I can cough up $10 just for Nights.

Speaking of which, when the fuck are people going to hop on the universal platform train? I wanna spend $30 and get the game for Steam, XBLA, DS, whateverthefuck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Son of Godzilla said:
I just picked up Peggle DS for $5. I don't think I can cough up $10 just for Nights.

Speaking of which, when the fuck are people going to hop on the universal platform train? I wanna spend $30 and get the game for Steam, XBLA, DS, whateverthefuck.
That would be cool, and I'd be all for it. I'd also like The Office on my ipod, computer, cable box, and blu-ray for one price (sounds facetious but it's really not). And Peggle DS was a great value when it was released for $25 or whatever it was. Unfortunately it didn't sell that well so price drop. On PC PopCap games typically release for $20, and for the amount of content and quality of most of their games I can't say that's an unreasonable price.

Hunahan

Banned
I was way more interested in Axel and Pixel before I read the description of what type of game it is.

I knew those screens looked too good to be true.

PB Winterbottom seems interesting at least.

Jonnyram

Defense Grid and Yo Ho Kablamo both on XBLA next week for 800 pts, according to the 360 blog in Japan. Not XBLA, but Otomedius Gorgeous is also having its online coop mode opened to silver members as part of this week's Deal of the Week.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Jonnyram said:
Defense Grid and Yo Ho Kablamo both on XBLA next week for 800 pts, according to the 360 blog in Japan. Not XBLA, but Otomedius Gorgeous is also having its online coop mode opened to silver members as part of this week's Deal of the Week.
I guess the rest of the world will get Defense Grid and Bubble Bobble Neo, then.

Rlan

cjelly said:
I guess the rest of the world will get Defense Grid and Bubble Bobble Neo, then.

Well we haven't got Yo Ho Kablammo either. It was the other Dream Build Play '07 winner alongside Dishwasher and Blazing Birds. I don't think we'll be seeing Gravitron Ultra though.

Also, what is the link to the Xbox JP blog? I've lost it...

Jonnyram said:
Not XBLA, but Otomedius Gorgeous is also having its online coop mode opened to silver members as part of this week's Deal of the Week.

What? Otomedius is part of the Deal of the Week? Its DLC is cheaper now? Must check...

Anso

Rlan said:
Actually according to that the DOTW for the majority of September will all be XBLA games:

August 31st - Penny Arcade Ep 2 - was 1200 - now 800
September 7th - Puzzle Quest - was 800 - now 400
September 14th - Lode Runner - was 1200 - now 800
September 21st - Pinball FX - was 800 - now 400

http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/08/deals_of_the_week_revealed_for.php#comments

Not the greatest line-up but I might grab Lode Runner and Pinball FX (just because Pinball is cool).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It has been announced that the 2009 British Matchplay Scrabble Championships will be sponsored by digital toy factory Denki, creators of the upcoming Xbox LIVE Arcade game Quarrel. Denki has contributed to the overall prize fund and will be on site during the tournament to demonstrate Quarrel, pick the brains of competitors and use their feedback to make sure the game is thoroughly enjoyable, rock solid and even more awesome than ever.

The BMSC is organised by the Association of British Scrabble Players (www.absp.org.uk) and is the most prestigious and high-profile event in the British Scrabble calendar. Drawing in the country’s top players, it not only finds Britain’s champion Scrabble player, but puts forward the UK's additional wildcard entrant into the World Championships (which this year fact fans, takes place in Malaysia).

Colin Anderson, Denki’s managing director, said, “From the very earliest days of designing Quarrel – before it was even called Quarrel – we’ve shown the game to groups of people we thought could help make it better. We’ve shown it to strategy gamers, kids and families through to gamers, students and our friends at other Dundee games companies. When the opportunity arose to show the game to the UK’s leading Scrabble players, it was too good to resist.”

Indeed, Denki recently demonstrated Quarrel at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival event, Dare Protoplay. Here, the development team was on-hand to listen to their audiences’ suggestions and take on-board commentary on their Xbox LIVE Arcade release.

Allan Simmons, Promotions Officer of the Association of British Scrabble Players, said, “We’re exhilarated to welcome Denki as the key sponsor for this year’s Championship. As the UK’s premiere tournament, it pulls in hundreds of players. Having a videogames company not only supporting the event, but coming along to showcase their new game is very exciting and I believe that Denki will get a lot of very honest and useful feedback from Scrabble players of all ages the event.”

The British Matchplay Scrabble Championship takes place at the Yarnfield Conference Centre, Stone (near Stafford) on the 29th – 31st August, 2009. Electronic Theatre will keep you updated with all the latest from Denki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom