• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Live Arcade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, hopefully Microsoft sends shard some Microsoft points or at least the occasional Avatar accessory for all his hard work, he's doing their job for them around here.

This thred is my main source for XBLA news. Thanks to Shard for taking the time to update it from numerous sources.

A monthly thread is good provided Microsoft announce what's due out in the following month.

Both threads have a purpose.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have to say I like the character art in Puzzle Quest 1 (And Gyromancer) better than what I've seen of the art in Puzzle Quest 2, but the Isometric gameplay system looks great.

Wish the "victory music" for winning was stronger sounding (sounded kinda weak in the trailers), because that was one of my favorite musical elements of PQ.

And as many forms of Final Fight as I have, why am I looking forward to it again? XD Maybe it helps that I don't have (any? many?) copies of Magic Sword... even though, unlike many, I remember playing it! I think Knight of the Round, or King of Dragons would have been better matches, but hey, Magic Sword!

mujun

DownLikeBCPowder said:
Logic dictates that the most recent data would be being talked about presently. Which would indicate that you should just look at the last couple of pages in the thread - it's not a fast moving thread. You really find a lot of information here and it's really not hard to find.

One of my favorite threads. I read every post.

Point is I think I am in the minority and that a monthly thread detailing what demos, Indie Games, XBLA games, etc hit would get more attention to what is actually out rather than all and sundry with regards to Live Arcade.

I'll do a mid and end of month update with links to each game on a list of Indie games if someone (or multiple people) want to take responsibility for demos, Games on Demand, XBLA, Deals of the Month and Add ons.

I don't think avatar stuff, themes, video content, etc need be included.

toythatkills said:
Mainly about his continual posting in this thread, combined with his first post in the March monthly thread which sounded incredibly bitter.

Either in an "I should have been the one to do this" or "my thread's more important" kind of tone.

Which makes his constant bumping of this thread seem, well, intentionally aimed at killing that one which a lot of hard work appears to have gone into.

He knew as well as I did that that's what people had agreed, and should have gone with it regardless of his own feelings.

That's Shard, he can get away with it though because he puts in serious work which many people appreciate.

Kafel

Banned
Monthly XBLA threads can't work. You'd know this if you had a little idea how XBLA news come.

Thx Shard for the goods btw.

Kafel said:
Monthly XBLA threads can't work. You'd know this if you had a little idea how XBLA news come.

Thx Shard for the goods btw.
Yes exactly this thread is awesome and we should keep it that way, the only "real" place for XBLA info on the web.
Keep up the great work Shard don't ever stop!

I think this thread is good for little rumours and bits of info on games that aren't just about to be released, while the monthly threads would be good for discussing releases each month (focussed on game discussion rather than news).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kafel said:

You know, I saw that posted on Kotaku, and was suprised not to see it posted here.
Glad to see a better source for it! (Official site, yeah...)

Looks quite sharp. I'd be happy if they give the option to use the original graphics, too, but the update is really nice looking!

So much quality 2D gaming coming to downloadable services this year! *party*

SAB CA said:
So much quality 2D gaming coming to downloadable services this year! *party*

Totally. I love this entire surge of 2D amazingness. Well, even if the games aren't necessarily amazing at times, I love some of these new and smooth 2D graphics we're seeing. Here a couple of years ago I surely thought 2D was dead as a doornail..

Just to clear up my vote. Monthly is cool. More power to it. But there's no reason this puppy has to be put to sleep.

toythatkills said:
Hey, I prefer this thread too, and didn't see the point of monthly threads. But in spite of my comment it was agreed pages ago that monthly threads were the way to go.

You might want to start a thread in and of itself about this one. It's a first, to my knowledge.

NEWS: GAF AS A WHOLE REACHES GENERAL CONSENSUS ABOUT ARBITRARY TOPIC.

StylusX

GarthVaderUK said:
I think this thread is good for little rumours and bits of info on games that aren't just about to be released, while the monthly threads would be good for discussing releases each month (focussed on game discussion rather than news).

Exactly. Don't understand why people keep arguing about this...

Anyway Puzzle Quest 2 looks amazing and its out in spring as well :D

Kafel said:
image-74AB_4B96DCE7.jpg

image-DED4_4B96DCE7.jpg

image-6F06_4B96DCE7.jpg

image-0549_4B96DCE7.jpg

I like the XBLA look...it's almost like a mid- to late-90s progression of the original's 80s look.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
After Burner Climax Gameplay Details & Avatar Awards Announced

Accompanying the release of new screenshots for the forthcoming Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network releases of After Burner Climax, SEGA Europe has confirmed a number of new gameplay details, and the inclusion of Xbox 360 Avatar Awards in the Xbox LIVE Arcade release. After Burner Climax is set for release within this Spring, and the announcement of these new details will only heighten the anticipation amongst the long-running series’ fanbase.

After Burner Climax features fast-and-frantic sky-high action, putting you in the cockpit of the world’s fastest fighter plane. Dodge planes, rockets and bullets while trying to target multiple on-screen enemy aircraft. Built for all skill levels, everyone will be able to take to the air and blaze through a branching storyline and over twenty stages.

Players will be able to choose their aircraft from a wide selection, including the F-14D Super Tomcat by Northrop Grumman and the F-15E Strike Eagle and F/A-18E Super Electronic Theatre ImageHornet by Boeing. Personalize your plane with a selection of four different paint jobs including: standard paint, camouflage, special paint and Low Visibility.

After Burner Climax will feature four gameplay modes. Players can build up their skills in Training Mode and then take flight in Arcade mode, or play through Score Attack to see how you rank on the Online Leaderboards. Within the Arcade Mode, players will experience a branching storyline - keep your head under pressure with limited time to make adrenaline-fuelled decisions, and experience different paths through the game based on personal choice and the success or failure of special missions.

The final gameplay mode is designed purely for long-time fans of the series. After Burner Climax’s EX OPTION Mode allows players to enjoy the exhilarating flight against overwhelming enemy craft, taking down multiple enemies at a time in order to survive.

Exclusively featured in the Xbox LIVE Arcade release, your skills will be tested to unlock exclusive Avatar Awards that are made available to the expert player. No details on what these Avatar Awards will include are available as yet, but Electronic Theatre will of course keep you updated with all the latest details.

-END-
Comments

soldat7

Somnid said:
Megathreads are bad for a reason and this is also why you guys are so clueless about it. It's not about your special little club in here. The reason the Nintendo thread...

:lol :lol :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/09/hands-on-the-path-of-go-xbla

Hands-on: The Path of Go (XBLA)

Ready to frustrate yourself forever? Learn the game of Go. It's an ancient Chinese game that's over four thousand years old, and games can last up to 16 hours in tournaments. Sounds just perfect for an adaptation into the frenetic world of video games, right?! Well, your wish is granted. The Path of Go or How We Came Up With A Proprietary Name For The Public Domain Game of Go is being developed in-house by Microsoft at the likewise excitingly named Microsoft Research Cambridge division.

We played the game briefly at GDC, and it's actually very robust. It includes a tutorial where your avatar has some faux back and forth dialogue with an ancient Go master, in which he really does teach you the game. I tried reading an old instruction manual for a set of Go I found at a thrift shop once, and was so confused by terms like "ko" and proper stone placement that I just re-thrifted the set. Now, I'm ready to take on Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind and kick his ass.

Additionally, the game features single player or two player both locally and through Xbox Live, multiple backgrounds, and full 3D environments where you can control the camera. There's also an actual story mode in here, where you learn the nuances of the game in "beat the situation" scenarios while heading down a path. The ... wait for it ... Path of Go.

gogogo1a.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shard said:
GDC 10: Puzzle Quest 2 Blowout
]

Well, there goes the 3 months after this game is released. I'll be hooked all over again. Hopefully the music is as good as the first.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, no hype for Scrap Metal? I'm looking forward to it as much as I have any car combat game in the past few years. I haven't really enjoyed one much since the first 2 twisted metals, and the iso perspective brings back RC PRO AM vibes.

Plus the vehicles look varied, and the weps looks satisfying.

Princess Skittles said:
I like the look of Spelunky XBLA, but it seems a little.. busy? Something about the added detail.

Well, I will wait for video to really judge it.
You're probably just used to the stark blackness of the backdrops in the PC game. I don't think it looks as distractingly busy (with every not-so-important detail competing for your attention and drawing your eye everywhere) as the Toki remake shots have been.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SAB CA said:
So, no hype for Scrap Metal? I'm looking forward to it as much as I have any car combat game in the past few years. I haven't really enjoyed one much since the first 2 twisted metals, and the iso perspective brings back RC PRO AM vibes.

Plus the vehicles look varied, and the weps looks satisfying.
I played it at PAX so I'm curious to see how much it's improved.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
thetrin said:
What happened to Fez? T_T

Fez and Cletus Clay have both... slipped quite a bit in terms of release date. I'm not worried though. Those tiny team indie games rarely stay on schedule, but when they eventually get released they tend to be awwwwesome.

Which only serves to remind me that I'd really enjoy a port of VVVVVV to any other platform. Not that I mind it on PC or anything, but the obviously low system requirements and minimal control requirements make me think it'd work on every platform--maybe not the handhelds because of resolution issues.

MightyHedgehog said:
You're probably just used to the stark blackness of the backdrops in the PC game. I don't think it looks as distractingly busy (with every not-so-important detail competing for your attention and drawing your eye everywhere) as the Toki remake shots have been.

Ehh, it doesn't really jive with me either. It has the same kind of 2d lighting/particle effects that GTA2 had, and I've never really liked those. I would much rather drawn / animated sprite "particle" effects and no lighting than the current setup. I also don't really like the background images or the detail in all the floor tiles.

Spelunker HD, which uses the normal terribad 2.5D low fidelity 3d models for everything, looks better to me just because the art style is less abrasive:
minna_de_spelunker.jpg

I'm down for monthly threads as well. Looking through the megathread, especially with "search" disabled, is a bit rough these days.

Also, I noticed that Block Party promotion on XBLA mentions something about giving away a free Avatar prop for at least downloading the trails. How do you unlock this? It says a part of the code will be released every week in the Game Marketplace, but I can't find it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/107/1076248p1.html

March 10, 2010 - What were the great Nintendo DS games of 2009? Sure, there was The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Bowser's Inside Story, and Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. But right up there with those heavy hitters was a little puzzle/strategy game called Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Its addictive battle mechanics and slick art style earned it an average review score of 8.6. If you're not much of a portable gamer, though, you'll get your chance to check out what makes Clash of Heroes so awesome when it is released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade later this year.

The console version will be no mere port, though. Clash of Heroes is developed by Capybara, the team behind the beautiful Critter Crunch on PlayStation Network. Critter Crunch started as an iPhone puzzle game, but Capy completely redrew the artwork for the PSN version, resulting in a stunning game that felt like playing a cartoon. Clash of Heroes will be receiving that same TLC for its PSN and XBLA versions. We've seen it running on PS3 and even though its in an early alpha stage it already looks great.

Like Critter Crunch, Clash of Heroes' hand-drawn art makes it look like a cartoon.
There are three primary mission objectives for Capy with this project: fix a couple things here and there, present it in full HD, and expand the multiplayer mode.

For the uninitiated, this is what Clash of Heroes is all about: it's a puzzle/RPG/strategy hybrid with vague similarities to Puzzle Quest. The difference between the two games, though, is that while PQ borrowed an existing puzzle game called Bejewelled for its battles, Clash of Heroes presents an entirely new game to master. Your army lines up along the bottom of the screen and faces off against the enemy army on top. By maneuvering your multi-colored troops into vertical lines of three you can send them to attack. Horizontal lines of three will create a wall that will slow down the enemy's troops. From these basic mechanics, Clash of Heroes slowly becomes more complicated with a large variety of troops, each with their own abilities. The whole package is wrapped up with beautiful fantasy art. Think of Clash of Heroes as Puzzle Quest's hotter, younger sister.

If you actually follow the Might & Magic series, note that Clash of Heroes takes place 40 years before the Heroes V saga. Players travel across five distinct regions of the land Ashan, controlling new characters and units in each territory.

This will be the same game that was released on the DS with a few gameplay tweaks (and entirely new art, of course). Capy was proud of the multiplayer mode it created for Clash of Heroes, but the reality is there isn't much multiplayer gaming happening on the DS outside of a few select titles. The developer is showcasing the multiplayer aspect for the console versions in the hopes that more people will check it out. Versus and cooperative modes will be available for two to four players, both locally and online.

As for the gameplay tweaks, Capy is balancing the artifacts players can equip on their heroes. In the DS game, some hardcore players have been able to exploit a few of the more powerful artifacts. New multiplayer-specific artifacts are also being added. One complaint some people had with the portable version was that once you completed a chapter you were done playing with that hero and his/her army for the rest of the game. Now you'll be able to return to previous chapters and continue playing them until 100 percent completion.

In the DS game characters are presented as super-deformed 16-bit style sprites. Here on consoles characters have been elongated to more realistic proportions. They all have impressive idle animations both in and out of battle. Moving around the world maps you'll see blurry objects like branches in the foreground, giving the impression of depth as though you are peering through the trees at our heroes.

Clash of Heroes was one of our favorite DS games of last year and it's a very pleasant surprise to learn that we'll get to play it in beautiful HD on PSN and XBLA. It's in an early alpha stage right now but should be ready by late summer.

MMCH_HD_Adventure_Sylvan_1_1268182610.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light launching this summer for $15

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-launching-this-summer/

It may not have "Tomb Raider" in the title, but Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light -- scheduled to launch on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and PC this summer -- will mark the leading lady's return to a crumbling underworld and its unreasonably hostile caretakers. And while the game's aesthetics are unmistakably consistent with previous games, its unique format draws inspiration from a wider range of sources, including last year's polished XBLA hit, Shadow Complex.

Like Shadow Complex, the game will launch for $15, offering approximately six hours of two-player co-operative action and puzzle-solving (though your pace may vary). According to developer Crystal Dynamics, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light will be cognizant of the bar set by other high-production games in the download space, while offering a unique interpretation of the well-established Tomb Raider franchise.

Catch Joystiq's impressions of the game and an interview with Crystal Dynamics later this week.

sciplore

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm down for monthly threads as well. Looking through the megathread, especially with "search" disabled, is a bit rough these days.

Also, I noticed that Block Party promotion on XBLA mentions something about giving away a free Avatar prop for at least downloading the trails. How do you unlock this? It says a part of the code will be released every week in the Game Marketplace, but I can't find it.

Woah really? I need to check that out maybe its somewhere in spotlight?

Lothars

sciplore said:
Woah really? I need to check that out maybe its somewhere in spotlight?

It was showing a code at the end of the spotlight tabs, I would like to know where to use them because I was wondering where you get the avatar item.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GDC 10: Happy Wars Unveiled

http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1076492p1.html

March 10, 2010 - Earlier today I sat down for a meeting with a representative from Toylogic, a development team from Japan that has managed to largely fly under the radar despite the fact that it has lent support to games as widely known as Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This dark horse status may change soon enough as Toylogic begins to get the word out on its upcoming massively multiplayer action game, tentatively titled Happy Wars. If it can live up to its billing, this could be a breakout game.

Happy Wars is currently in development for PC and Xbox Live Arcade, though Toylogic is still searching for a console publisher to help the game take the last few steps onto the console. The concept isn't so much different from Fat Princess on the PlayStation Network. Players are split into two teams and will have to work together in a strategic action game to storm the opponent's castle. Each team has access to three classes – the Warrior, the Mage and the Cleric – and can make use of spells, skills, and defensive turrets and traps to play both offense and defense.

The catch is that Happy Wars supports up to 128 players, connecting that many PCs or 64 Xbox 360s in split-screen mode. If the game begins with less, artificial intelligence will take over to maintain the epic scale.

Of course, big battles aren't the only selling point here. Another interesting feature is that each player begins every game at the first level, but can then gain experience points by defeating enemies or capturing bases. By leveling up, you can gain new spells and finishing moves to help turn the tides of war. The specific spells and skills you earn are randomized, ensuring that each game will be a little bit different for you.

Perhaps more interesting is the idea of formation creation. Players can join together to create flying wedges for melee attacks, or cast mass spells. To help facilitate this across languages, Toylogic is implementing simple battle cries that will be translated to 10 different languages and allow everyone to work together, regardless of where they are in the real world.

I didn't get to see Happy Wars in motion, for that we'll have to wait until closer to E3. Even so, the description sounds tantalizing and has me excited for the possibilities. Happy Wars is on track to be complete sometime next winter. Let's hope a publisher picks it up for the Xbox Live Arcade by then.

happy-wars-20100310024020332-000.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konami Announces 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2
Popular arcade-style golf franchise tees off a new sequel on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade.

March 11, 2010 - El Segundo, Calif. - Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. today announced that 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2 will be available for download on the PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE Arcade for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. The latest iteration of one of the hottest downloadable minigolf games to date, 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2 brings innovative graphics, incredible open worlds, and exciting new courses that allow players of all ages to get right back into the swing of things this winter.

In 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2, players are challenged to navigate their ball beyond obstacles using the help of secret shortcuts, game-changing power-ups and traps to sabotage the competition. Players can also manipulate the game by using special pick-ups to destroy course obstructions or even interfere with competitor's shots.

Gamers can bring their A-game as they play in matches of up to four players locally or online. The sequel also offers an intuitive Map Editor tool, allowing full customization of virtual courses and the strategic placement of power-ups and traps.

Putt through over 50 fun-filled holes in diverse locations, such as a Haunted Manor, a Manic Museum and a Winter Wonderland. As an added bonus, players can choose from up to four customizable animated characters and are invited to play using their own Xbox 360 Avatars and watch as their personalities unfold in every course.

Developed by Wanako, a studio of Artificial Mind and Movement Inc., 3D Ultra MiniGolf Adventures 2 will be available for download in early 2010 on the PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE? Arcade. For more information, please visit www.konami.com/downloads.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HadesGigas said:

Geeze, another Tiny Character with time control elements! (o_O)

Beyond that, it seems to have some pretty unique stage setups. Lazy Raiders style stage turning, used to walk items to YOU, wrapping ropes around gears in order to work machinery... seems a good amount of variety.

Sounds like it's coming out pretty soon, too, considering I don't remember ever hearing about it beforehand...

wizword

Banned
RadarScope1 said:
Then why open it?

Nearly twenty thousand posts. I think it's working just fine.
I want to be informed by games that interest me that are soon to be released. It is more difficult for me to follow than a weekly psn topic and a weekly wii topic. Anyway, I can't wait for heroes of might and magic xbla game looks hot.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
BurritoBushido said:
how could anyone want to watch ELEVEN minutes of Puzzle Quest

Not too hard. About the same as wanting to play hours of it.

I found myself enjoying the 11 min preview of PQ 2 more than an 8 minute vid review of God Of War 3, so... yeah.

I always find it funny to watch others play puzzle games. I'll see a move that I'd LOVE to make, and the player makes a different one... Have to resist wanting to scream at the screen!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GDC 10: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light Preview

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/107/1077038p1.html

March 11, 2010 - The recently announced Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light may not be what you expected for an adventure starring one of gaming's most recognizable figures. Crystal Dynamics is building it for release on the PlayStation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and to PCs, offering a different kind of game. So does different mean good? Based on the demo shown off at GDC '10 in San Francisco, in this case I'd say it could definitely be a cool experience.

First, the story setup. It seems in the past there was a clash between gods over an artifact called the Mirror of Smoke. The bad guy, Xolotl, is eventually defeated by the good guy, Totec, and all's right with the world as Totec buries himself in the mirror in a temple. That is, at least, until Lara finds it 2000 years later and some mercenaries that had been tailing her swipe it, bringing Xolotl tearing back onto the scene.

Thankfully, Totec wakes up as well, and to prevent evil from ruining everything, he teams up with Lara to squash Xolotl's minions. While this game can be played solo, it's also being designed as a co-operative experience. When playing with two, one player takes control of Lara and the other Totec. Taking advantage of their unique arsenals, the two will slaughter hordes of minions and conquer environmental puzzles on their way to saving the world.

Solve puzzles together.
The whole game takes place from a fixed overhead camera angle, a perspective that should be familiar to any fan of Diablo. As Lara and Totec run around onscreen, they'll gain points for scoring kills and grabbing shiny baubles scattered around the game's environments. To fight, Lara can take advantage of dual pistols and a rifle. She'll also have a grappling hook, which factors into a lot of the game's puzzles.

For instance, if there's a large hole in the ground and notch in the wall, Lara can hook into the wall and skirt the gap. Once she's across, she can then toss the hook over to Totec, who can grab on and use it as a support line to jump into the hole and climb out the other side to safety. In a neat twist, Totec can also walk on top of the grappling line, adding another layer to the process of finding puzzle solutions.

Sometimes it's not a gap that needs to be crossed, but a high ledge that needs to be accessed. Totec has a shield that's useful in these situations, as he can ready it over his head, creating a platform for Lara to jump onto. If Totec then jumps while Lara's got her feet planted on the shield, Lara can take off at the jump's apex, effectively creating a sort of double jump. For situations where that won't work, Totec can launch spears into walls that then serve as platforms for Lara to hop up onto. If launched from multiple levels into a wall, Lara can climb up even higher as she leaps from spear to spear.

While this all sounds great for co-operative play, especially if Crystal Dynamics comes up with some creative ways to test your spatial reasoning, what about if you just want to play by yourself? In that case you can, and the story accommodates for it. You'll just play as Lara, Totec goes off in another direction, but not before handing you his spear, letting you complete otherwise impossible challenges. The levels will also be altered to a degree in single-player play, and additional items will by lying around to make it possible for you to get through.

The game features ancient ruins, so naturally you can expect angry spiders.
The rest of the puzzles look like they'll involve timed elements, pressure plates, movable blocks, and elaborate, multi-part solutions. During the demo an underground temple area was shown where multiple levels of the stage could be seen. While Lara and Totec ran across a stone pathway, you were treated to a few far below to a large stone floor, teasing you of areas you'll travel to next, complementing the already impressive visuals with a nice sense of scale.

When it comes to combat, Totec can fire off rifle shots beside Lara, and both have an unlimited supply of explosives that can splinter boxes in the environments, crumble stone archways, and blow up your foes. Figuring out where to go is made easier through an overhead map that marks your position and objectives, though there's more to see than simply the main quest stuff. Crystal Dynamics showed off one optional dungeon that featured a single puzzle that, when completed, gave Lara access to a special item, the function of which isn't yet being discussed. Apparently there'll be quite a few of these optional challenges throughout the game, adding to a gameplay experience I'm told is already quite a bit over six hours long.

Should Lara or Totec be hit too often by Xolotl's zombie-like minions and run out of health, a the other can come over and sacrifice health for a revive. Or, should that not be possible, the downed companion will respawn at the cost of points.

Sounds pretty good, right? Assuming everything goes well, it'll be ready for this summer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GDC 10: Deadliest Warrior Hands-on

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/107/1076976p1.html

March 11, 2010 - A downloadable game based on the popular Spike TV show Deadliest Warrior was announced back at the VGA Awards in December. Today at the 2010 Game Developers Conference we got to play a few rounds of this bloody one-on-one fighter. The TV show pits famous warrior archetypes against one another in hypothetical battles to settle long-standing debates and determine once and for all which is the mightiest of all. For instance, who would win in a fight: a ninja or a Spartan warrior? Deadliest Warrior aims to find out. There isn't anything hypothetical about the battles in Deadliest Warrior: The Game, though. These fights end in bloody messes with decapitations and dismemberments.

Eight warriors will be included in the game: seven from Season 1 of the show and one from the upcoming Season 2. MTV (owner of the Deadliest Warrior brand) isn't disclosing the full roster, yet, but we know the ninja, knight, Apache, and Spartan will be included. If the game is popular, more fighters can be made available in the future via downloadable content. The motion capture for each class was done by the actors that appear in the show. There are five arenas to do battle in, including the Fight Lab from the show. Today we played several matches of Apache vs. Spartan and got to try both fighters.

Fights are quick and dirty in Deadliest Warrior. In fact, we are told most matches should last just 15 to 30 seconds. We are reminded of the Bushido Blade games on the original PlayStation, which also featured short one-on-one battles with weapons. There are no health pickups in this game and a carefully placed headshot can instantly end a match (this is rare, but there is an achievement in it for you if you can pull it off). Limbs can be crippled to disable your opponent and each fighter has a unique finishing move that can be used when you've whittled your opponent down to less than 30 percent of their health. The Apache's finishing move sees him toss a knife into his enemy's chest, do a cart wheel, and bash in his skull with a club. Good stuff.

Even though Deadliest Warrior is pretty violent, it's considered a casual game that is being made for fans of the show, of which there are apparently 23 million. The controls are very simple and the quick matches make it easy to jump into. Each fighter uses the same controls, utilizing high/medium/low attacks and short- /mid- /long-range weapons. The Apache, for instance, uses a knife for short-range, two hatchets for mid-range, and a bow for long-range attacks.

A single-player Challenge Mode lets you unlock weapons you can use in Versus Mode. Versus will be available both locally and online, by the way. Deadliest Warrior will include an online Tournament Mode that works similarly to Street Fighter 4's Championship Mode. Players work their way up the ranks of a single-elimination three-round tournament.

Deadliest Warrior: The Game is coming later this year. It will initially arrive on Xbox Live Arcade, but the developers would like to eventually bring it to a broader audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom