• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Thread of BUY THIS GAME!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
it's a capcom/nintendo lovefest for me next week. Zack and Wiki and PW3...

throw GH3 onto that and next week goes down with Nov 1998 as one of the greatest 7 days of gaming history ever!

I have the Zack & Wiki GI review in my hands.

Some notes...Paraphrasing because I don't know how the TOS feels about direct quotes

GI is worried about the presentation possibly having a negative effect on the success and appreciation of the game. They also noted that Wiki has a high pitched baby voice that may drive you crazy. For the most part the motion controls are well done though GI noted some difficulty with the fishing and music motions. Some of the puzzles are considered innovative. The intro is considered very jarring but if you can stick it out through that you may grow to appreciate the characters.

The second opinion says that it could have used a bit more polish since at times the Wii controls made the gameplay "sloppier and less exact than it should be". They also say that the game provides a "mix of intriguing puzzles and novel motion-based minigames that's like nothing else out there".

That's just the gist of it. If there's anything specific that somebody wants to know then by all means ask.

borghe said:
score? (afraid to ask)

It's listed in the OP but ehh.. 8.25 / 7.75

EktorPR

PepsimanVsJoe said:
(...)It's listed in the OP but ehh.. 8.25 / 7.75

Good score, but I'm most anxious to read reviews from IGN and Gamespot. I'll buy the thing anyway so I shouldn't care about 'em, but the score freak inside me wants to know. :lol

E-phonk

Banned
ksamedi said:
I'm buying this, but in Europe its out in December I think.
Yeah, 7 december, again a day too late for Saint Nicholas.

Every year publishers in Benelux seem to like these missed opportunities.

(For those who don't know - ie, most of you - saint nicholas is more important then christmas over here for children. It's when the parents bring out their wallets to buy the expensive stuff).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
E-phonk said:
Yeah, 7 december, again a day too late for Saint Nicholas.

Every year publishers in Benelux seem to like these missed opportunities.

(For those who don't know - ie, most of you - saint nicholas is more important then christmas over here for children. It's when the parents bring out their wallets to buy the expensive stuff).
So basically Santa Claus comes earlier in Belgium.

madara

PepsimanVsJoe said:
GI is worried about the presentation possibly having a negative effect on the success and appreciation of the game.

Shrug, I never lost my penis playing 16-bit sprite games nor the few cell shading titles out now. So as an adult gamer I will continue to do so until the rest of gamers out there figure out variety really is the spice of life.

methodman

Banned
This game NEEDS to sell. The more action games we can get on any system (especially the Wii which is made for the shit) the better. Please bring MI back! TO VC BABY TO VC!!

Innotech

Banned
If presentation was a deal breaker for me I wouldnt own Klonoa2 or Deweys Adventure. But I do, and it isnt.
Also if a few instances of motion sensing are dodgey then it isnt any worse than the spottiness in Warioware and thats still one of the most fun games actually utilizing the controls fully to date. In short, it would take dismal scores like Lair got to even make me reconsider buying this game. Since reviews will no doubt come after release, Im going to buy it anyway. But I am confident this will be an 80% level game at least.

Dash

I'm quite interested in this game, but I still have a huge back-log of games to get through first. Not to mention Mario Galaxy and Mass Effect >_>.

birdchili

Innotech said:
Also if a few instances of motion sensing are dodgey then it isnt any worse than the spottiness in Warioware
except this is a puzzle game, not an action game. if the system doesn't recognize what you're trying to do, it could stump you, rather than just make you lose some mini-game.

(not trying to rain on what's more-or-less a pre-release appreciation thread - i'm just saddened by the flakey motion-controls line that graces almost every wii review).

birdchili

Strider2K99 said:
Argh, don't make me buy a Wii GAF, at least not now. It's not fair. =(
no complaining about good games:) we need as many as we can get - particularly when they're in such massively underserviced genres such as this.

Joe Molotov

methodman said:
This game NEEDS to sell. The more action games we can get on any system (especially the Wii which is made for the shit) the better. Please bring MI back! TO VC BABY TO VC!!

ADVENTURE GAMES!

Jme

Strider2K99 said:
Argh, don't make me buy a Wii GAF, at least not now. It's not fair. =(

No one said to buy a Wii. We just want you to BUY THIS GAME!
Put it on your shelf, and when people ask why you have it even though you don't have a Wii, you can explain that it's just that good. This in turn will make those people go out and BUY THIS GAME! If you want to pick up a Wii so that you can enjoy it, that's up to you.

Amir0x

Banned
Yes i am buying this game, and I've already defaulted my 'blame Chris Kohler' stance if it sucks so I'm set.

Gossack

handofg0d said:
No one said to buy a Wii. We just want you to BUY THIS GAME!
Put it on your shelf, and when people ask why you have it even though you don't have a Wii, you can explain that it's just that good. This in turn will make those people go out and BUY THIS GAME! If you want to pick up a Wii so that you can enjoy it, that's up to you.

Haha, handofg0d's hilarious! :lol

birdchili

i have added this game under "wii" in the text file that's tracking the games that might convince me to get a particular current-gen console.

hey - that's a pretty bit step. it's a (sadly) short file.

Amir0x

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Perfect. Then I'll buy it. Sorry, but outside Virtual Console games, I have now a rule: no more 4:3 games, no matter which ones.

New rule after this game: No buying games with dithering, fuck that shit

Model 500

I've yet to see anything interesting re motion controls (just hope there's something more than pointless tree sawing, cranes, etc.), but, I'm buying this game for the genre and hope to get some interesting puzzles in return.

Top Bottom