• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure Thread of BUY THIS GAME!

I'M BUYING THIS GAME!
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I have the Zack & Wiki GI review in my hands.

Some notes...Paraphrasing because I don't know how the TOS feels about direct quotes

GI is worried about the presentation possibly having a negative effect on the success and appreciation of the game. They also noted that Wiki has a high pitched baby voice that may drive you crazy. For the most part the motion controls are well done though GI noted some difficulty with the fishing and music motions. Some of the puzzles are considered innovative. The intro is considered very jarring but if you can stick it out through that you may grow to appreciate the characters.

The second opinion says that it could have used a bit more polish since at times the Wii controls made the gameplay "sloppier and less exact than it should be". They also say that the game provides a "mix of intriguing puzzles and novel motion-based minigames that's like nothing else out there".

That's just the gist of it. If there's anything specific that somebody wants to know then by all means ask.
Figures that they would've written rubbish like that. Worried about the presentation? Right...

And complaining about fishing? It's Twilight Princess all over again!

Amir0x

Banned
The cel-shaded presentation is one of this games high points! It's got a basic understanding of the Wii's limitations and adopts a style that works for the platform! So that is a rubbish argument. Only complaint I had was all the dithering in the screens, if that's carried to the final game then yeah that could be worked on.

I mean, as a negative to a review, who cares how a presentation will affect the games presumable market "success."

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:
The cel-shaded presentation is one of this games high points! It's got a basic understanding of the Wii's limitations and adopts a style that works for the platform! So that is a rubbish argument. Only complaint I had was all the dithering in the screens, if that's carried to the final game then yeah that could be worked on.

I mean, as a negative to a review, who cares how a presentation will affect the games presumable market "success."

Deweys Adventure. Fun little game, killed by catering to babies. I still bought it.

Amir0x

Banned
Innotech said:
Deweys Adventure. Fun little game, killed by catering to babies. I still bought it.

It's one thing of you thought the presentation was unattractive, in Dewy or Zack and Wiki. It's another if your criticism in the review is not that it's unattractive, but that the presentation may limit how many copies it sells. That doesn't tell me anything. Is it a good presentation? Okami's presentation may have had a hand in limiting how many copies it sold, but it was still one of the all-time greatest presentations in videogames.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Innotech said:
His point was that a review should not be concerned with a game's marketability or potential for commercial success, not that there aren't idiots who let their insecurities control their buying habits.

Innotech said:

The game supposedly had pretty weak controls, was short, and had zero advertising or hype. I still havn't seen a review from most publications.

Don't blame the graphics.

I'll wait on Zak and Wiki. We know it'll be an 8.0 plus title, but it really comes down to whether it's an 8.0 title with controls flaws, or a 9.0 title without control flaws. We know how the game looks and the art direction, that isn't a detriment IMO, and renders GI's lower-than-expected score useless to me.

Unless I read it wrong, I don't see the review knocking score off for being "kiddie", just that the reviewer thinks people might scoff at it for being so. Which is exactly the same sentiment as the rest of the board here...Geez, it got an 8. That isn't a bad score. At least this isn't 8.8 part III

Innotech

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
GI's review basically said that the game might be too kiddy. It's the only thing they seem to consistently mention throughout the review.

thats the gist of what I was saying. but ZW is much less "kiddy" than Dewey. Unless falling and being impaled on a spike trap is somehow kiddy now.

Innotech

Banned
underfooter said:
The game supposedly had pretty weak controls, was short, and had zero advertising or hype. I still havn't seen a review from most publications.

Don't blame the graphics.

I'll wait on Zak and Wiki. We know it'll be an 8.0 plus title, but it really comes down to whether it's an 8.0 title with controls flaws, or a 9.0 title without control flaws. We know how the game looks and the art direction, that isn't a detriment IMO, and renders GI's lower-than-expected score useless to me.

the controls in Dewey really arent that bad. It just requires some time to get used to the tilt sensitivity. Its even adjustable. It is very short though Ill give you that much, and it lacked hype of any kind whatsoever. Sent to die indeed. Very sad. But ultimately Konami's fault for not making people aware of it.

Model 500 said:
I've yet to see anything interesting re motion controls (just hope there's something more than pointless tree sawing, cranes, etc.), but, I'm buying this game for the genre and hope to get some interesting puzzles in return.
IMO, as trivial as these motion controls may be, often times it can add a lot to immersion. I'm not sure about others but I felt using the analogs to control my actions in Indigo Prophecy was a step in the right direction for adventure games. These could push it even further.

Then again I also liked the context-sensitive stuff in Prime 3 whereas many felt it was too roughly controlled to be worth the addition.

Innotech

Banned
Sometimes I wonder exactly what people were expecting to see when they bought a wii if not games like this or Metroid Prime3?

Joust Williams said:
Unless I read it wrong, I don't see the review knocking score off for being "kiddie", just that the reviewer thinks people might scoff at it for being so. Which is exactly the same sentiment as the rest of the board here...Geez, it got an 8. That isn't a bad score. At least this isn't 8.8 part III

They said in thier "Bottomline" section, under the "Entertainment" subsection said that "if you can get pass the wacky vibe" and under the "Sound" subsection, they mention that you'll probably want to strangle Wiki's for his baby voice. Under "Concept", they mention it yet again, but with a more subtle approach by saying that it's "under a cute veneer".

I hope quoting is still ok under the TOS.

Don't see a score penalty. Besides, complaining about a voice isn't exactly out of line--Jar Jar Binks comes to mind. Maybe they took the points off for the control not being the greatest?

Innotech

Banned
with regards to shitty voices, One of the most annoying voices in the world belonged to Popka in Klonoa2. I wanted to fucking kill that thing. but It didnt prevent me from buying an otherwise amazing game.

Amir0x said:

Not only that, but the presentation is very charming, immediately reminded me of The Wind Waker (a cliché statement, I'm aware of that) when I first layed eyes on it. It's at least just as good as TWW in that regard, though I admit I only saw it very briefly. Still: anyone with a soul couldn't hate something like that.

titiklabingapat said:
They said in thier "Bottomline" section, under the "Entertainment" subsection said that "if you can get pass the wacky vibe" and under the "Sound" subsection, they mention that you'll probably want to strangle Wiki's for his baby voice. Under "Concept", they mention it yet again, but with a more subtle approach by saying that it's "under a cute veneer".

I hope quoting is still ok under the TOS.
So many stupid complaints...

Tell me: did they happen to review the latest Ratchet & Clank too? And if so: did they mention similar complaints?

Joe Molotov

Amir0x said:
New rule after this game: No buying games with dithering, fuck that shit

I only buy games that have 16xAA. If you're playing with only 8xAA, you might as well be adjusting the vertical hold on your 9" B&W RCA.

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

Only thing I don't like is the art style. If it had used a more interesting theme, I'm willing to bet this would sell quite a few copies.

But yeah, this game does take advantage of the Wii like other games should. It's not trying to be something crazy, just a good game that uses the Wii-mote in a unique and LOGICAL way.

Soul4ger

Amir0x said:
It's one thing of you thought the presentation was unattractive, in Dewy or Zack and Wiki. It's another if your criticism in the review is not that it's unattractive, but that the presentation may limit how many copies it sells. That doesn't tell me anything. Is it a good presentation? Okami's presentation may have had a hand in limiting how many copies it sold, but it was still one of the all-time greatest presentations in videogames.

Were you not around for the Paper Mario 2 incident?

Innotech

Banned
the cel shaded style is welcome in almost ANY game on Wii imo.
I love that style so much and when I saw all the games coming out for Wii that used the style I was quite excited. Deweys Adventure has a bit similar style too and it works out really really well.

Nintaiyo

OMG Did you guys print off your free Zack and Wiki hats yet!?

zhat.jpg

EktorPR

I started a group in Facebook to support this game, but sadly I haven't recruited more than 6 people yet. This game deserves some sales.

birdchili

underfooter said:
it really comes down to whether it's an 8.0 title with controls flaws, or a 9.0 title without control flaws.
pretty much. i'd even settle for "good" as long as the controls are spot-on and the puzzles are clever (and puzzle comments seem really promising so far, frankly).

so much of the wii appeal is controls - it makes it doubly frustrating that there are so very few games using motion controls well.

_PsiFire_

underfooter said:
We know it'll be an 8.0 plus title, but it really comes down to whether it's an 8.0 title with controls flaws, or a 9.0 title without control flaws.

Please define "control flaws" because SSX: Blur is said to have control flaws from such sites as 1UP but I've never had a problem - not once.

ggd210

I have SERIOUS problems!!!

I'm playing:

Super mario paper - wii
Metroid Prime - wii
Zelda Ocarina of time - vc wii
Mario Lost worlds - vc wii
Mario bros 2 - vc wii
I just start Zelda hourglas - ds

I'll buy: Mario Galaxy - wii
I'll buy: Rayman 2 - wii
I'll buy: Mercury meltdown
I'll buy: Mario & Sonic Olympics

and... now.. I want Zack and Wiki!! duh!!!
When am I going to finish them??

after christmas season ---> wii fit, mario kart wii and SMASH BRAWL!!!
So.. that's why I don't need ps3, lol!! hehehehe

have a nice day!!
Thanks for the info about zack and wiki!!

ggd210 said:
I have SERIOUS problems!!!

I'm playing:

Super mario paper - wii
Metroid Prime - wii
Zelda Ocarina of time - vc wii
Mario Lost worlds - vc wii
Mario bros 2 - vc wii
I just start Zelda hourglas - ds

I'll buy: Mario Galaxy - wii
I'll buy: Rayman 2 - wii
I'll buy: Mercury meltdown
I'll buy: Mario & Sonic Olympics

and... now.. I want Zack and Wiki!! duh!!!
When am I going to finish them??

after christmas season ---> wii fit, mario kart wii and SMASH BRAWL!!!
So.. that's why I don't need ps3, lol!! hehehehe

have a nice day!!
Thanks for the info about zack and wiki!!

:lol :lol :lol

This guy is hilarious.

New IGN Hands on and videos.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/828/828161p1.html

So when you download today's videos and we appear to suck - we don't. It's all an act. Including when we're eaten by the fish. No, really.

We'll be the first to admit that not every third party Wii game is a winner - indeed, far too many are underwhelming - but Capcom has with Z&W created a project that seamlessly marries the gameplay fundamentals of some classic adventure games and the visuals of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Z-Dub is also an endeavor that really utilizes the Wii remote, whether you're pointing at the screen to manipulate the camera and select items or gesturing with the peripheral to simulate an action.
As it stands, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is on track to live up to the hype. We'll have our full review just as soon as we can, but if you're itching for more puzzle goodness, check out our latest videos - there are no spoilers, but you will be able to see in 480p clarity just how beautiful the game's visual presentation is. And again, we intentionally botch the puzzles in some of these videos. That's our story and we're sticking to it.

kurosawa

No third-party programmer has yet pushed a completely successful new IP via the Wii, although there have been many almost-rans and near misses. Capcom's Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure seems likely to be the Wii's first tremendous third-party success. Although it's slated to ship at the budget price of $39.99, there is nothing cheap or slapdash about this title. From the clever gameplay to the beautiful cel-shaded graphics, this is likely to become one of the Wii's must-own titles ... and it might even drive system sales.

Now, what could be so special about it to do that, you ask? Well, simply put, Zack & Wiki is an adventure game, more akin to the Sierra and LucasArts titles of the early '90s like Sam & Max and Maniac Mansion than the action titles that are usually Capcom's forte

What makes Zack & Wiki so uniquely suited to the Wii, though, is that its take on adventure gameplay perfectly reflects the fact that the Wii is the only real "family system" on the market right now. While a 360 or PS3 player can be safely assumed to fit into the male 18-35 demographic that dominates video games, it's harder to make any sort of meaningful assumptions about who's playing Wii titles. Accordingly, Zack & Wiki is clearly a game that anyone of any age could play ... or that entire families could work on playing together, in much the same way that families once gathered around the family PC to work on King's Quest or Monkey Island together.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=46743&mode=thread&order=0

Innotech

Banned
If Capcom doesnt advertise this game and earn it some sales Im gonna raze their fucking HQ. Well ok so Ill just send them a letter. BUT IT WILL BE A NASTY MEAN SPIRITED ONE.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I can't wait until this bombs and Wii detractors go crazy with "GOOD GAMES DON'T SELL ON TEH WII".

Top Bottom