• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

Borman

The dpad isn't all that bad to be honest, at least I found it to be usable despite its overall strangeness. The Xbox 360 dpad was far worse for me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The dpad isn't all that bad to be honest, at least I found it to be usable despite its overall strangeness. The Xbox 360 dpad was far worse for me.

Yeah, it's a weird design, visually, but like the Sidewinder before it, it's actually pretty good.

That said, I overwhelmingly prefer the Controller S's d-pad.

I am also happy to see this thread bumped again.

Borman

Yeah, it's a weird design, visually, but like the Sidewinder before it, it's actually pretty good.

That said, I overwhelmingly prefer the Controller S's d-pad.

I am also happy to see this thread bumped again.

I try to bump when I have something fun to share anyway

Timu

Yeah I didn't like the 360 dpad either. I tend to prefer the typical ones though that aren't directional or anything else really.

REDSLATE

panzerx_screen004.jpg

HD version of this would still blow minds.

Speaking of HD is there a list of which games supported 720p/1080i? Still impressive that the Xbox had support for those formats. I mean the Wii never had HD support at all.

I'm also still reeling from the Rent-a-Hero Revelation

BTW was Metal Wolf Chaos region free?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_with_HD_support

No, I don't believe Metal Wolf Chaos is region free, but it's easy enough to mod the console to remove region locking. While you're at it, you can throw in a larger HDD. 2TB Xbox makes 500GB Xbox "One" / PlayStation 4 look kinda silly :)

Also I keep hearing Xtreme hides a fairly competent Beach Volley game behind all the titillation? I know I'll have to get it too.

If you want a good beach volleyball game, seriously, stick to Sega's Beach Spikers for the Gamecube. DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball is so awful compared to that game... I like the DOA fighting games a lot, they're some of my favorites in the genre, but the Xtreme series isn't any good, in my opinion.

If the Duke had better button placement I would had liked it more, also, yuck at that dpad.o_O
I'm not sure what you are talking about? The Duke has better button placement than any Microsoft controller that followed it...

Timu

I'm not sure what you are talking about? The Duke has better button placement than any Microsoft controller that followed it...
Nah, I don't like it when the buttons are too close, also white and black buttons on top never made much sense, glad they were on the bottom with S-Type.

Nah, I don't like it when the buttons are too close, also white and black buttons on top never made much sense, glad they were on the bottom with S-Type.

White and black on the bottom is one of the weirdest, and worst, button layout design decisions I have ever seen. Seriously. How anyone could have ever thought "hey, we have a decent 6-button layout here, about about we completely ruin it by randomly sticking two of the buttons somewhere else on the controller where it makes no sense" and then Microsoft actually SHIPPED the stupid thing... what happened? It's crazy!

And the moved Start and Back buttons are just as bad, too. The incredibly bad White, Black, Start, and Back button placements rule out the S as a controller I ever want to use. (I have one, but only because some people prefer it, and they're easier to find than Duke controllers, which I do have several of.) The S is also a bit less comfortable to hold, too -- I like larger controllers. And the d-pads are about equal, between the two; I had a Sidewinder in the '90s, I like that d-pad. The Sidewinder's is better because it is larger, but the original Xbox controller's smaller version of it is decent.

koopas

I remember laughing at how big and awful the button placement on the duke was back in 02 or so.

Picked one up recently and as an adult i love the thing. I even find the dpad very comfortable believe it or not. Limited edition duke usb hardwired controller for Xbox One Ms plz.

Also I dunno if this had been covered what do you guys call the first Xbox? OG Xbox?

REDSLATE

I remember laughing at how big and awful the button placement on the duke was back in 02 or so.

Picked one up recently and as an adult i love the thing. I even find the dpad very comfortable believe it or not. Limited edition duke usb hardwired controller for Xbox One Ms plz.

Also I dunno if this had been covered what do you guys call the first Xbox? OG Xbox?

"Xbox" or "OG Xbox"

Xbox One is a disgrace to naming convention...

MS has a weird controller evolution. They had the Duke, which was basically an improvement of the Dreamcast monstrosity. The only thing it had going for it was the placement of the dual sticks, a good d pad and the six face buttons. It was shit to handle though, terrible ergonomics.

They then went ahead and designed S, which is basically the most ergonomic controller I've ever used. Everything about the controller was perfect, aside from lacking shoulder buttons and.. Surprise, MS fucked with the controller's button layout for no reason and now there were no more six face buttons, and playing fighters was a BITCH..

Then they went ahead and designed the 360 controller which, while quite good, was ergonomically a step backwards (it's not as easy on my wrists as Controller S was), kept the layout mostly, which was understandable.. They even added the shoulder button but.. Surprise, MS completely fucked with the controller's D-pad and it was nearly completely unusable

And then now we have the One controller, which just doesn't sit well in my hand - change for the sake of change and the goddamn thing isn't even as comfortable as the 360 pad..

I don't get you, MS.

Controller S ergonomics and d-pad, Duke face button layout, 360 shoulder button/triggers - how hard can it be?

TheYanger

They're not 'on top' though, they're to the right in an array. Just like the Sega 6 button controllers. The size of the duke puts your hands to the side, but the buttons are a natural 3 columns of 2 under your thumb. The S is a really good controller but the movement of black and white really made me sad and still does.

I should find one of my Duke's, it was truly a fantastic feeling controller.

koopas

I actually love the bone controller. Only thing that I'm not crazy about is the clixky dpad. But then again i don't like most clicky dpads.

The most glaring issue the controller s has is the lack of lbrb shoulder buttons. Feels naked up there :s

OG Xbox all the way

Syriel

So I came across this today at the flea market.. $20 I guess isn't bad for it being sealed.

Original pressing or revised edition? Either way, still somewhat rare due to the recall.

I got my Japanese copy of Dead or Alive 3 yesterday.

Japanese Xbox imports are kewl.

Judging from the activity in this thread, though, the Xbox is not a particularly cool system :(

When will people realize what they've missed!?

Don't worry. The retro game craze is about 10 years or so in the past. Pretty soon Xbox games will become popular again and demand (and prices) will jump.

Enjoy the system and its games while you can still find them cheaply.

Khaz

What's really annoying is that any content created during the time of the original Xbox is now impossible to find. It was bad during the 360, it's even worse now.

Peltz

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original intended use for the black and white buttons to control various functions of the the microphone? Then they just abandoned that when launch software treated them like normal gameplay buttons, right?

Or... is my memory wrong?

The Llama

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original intended use for the black and white buttons to control various functions of the the microphone? Then they just abandoned that when launch software treated them like normal gameplay buttons, right?

Or... is my memory wrong?

I don't remember anything about that, but wouldn't really surprise me.

Always hated the placement of those buttons, but otherwise I loved both OG Xbox controllers. I have big hands though.

Rockondevil

I play the shit out of my Xbox. So many an parties were had back in the day. I really loved the Duke back then and I was so against the s controllers but I ended up getting one and it turns out they were great controllers also.

I wish consoles to this day were just like it instead of full of everything else. It was like consoles used to be, just about gaming. XBL made gaming so much better and I miss the days of everyone voice chatting too.

Whatever SNK was doing during that port, they need to do more of it for their future ports.

If I remember correctly, they redid the sprites at a higher resolution, but keeping them in the same style and with the same frames and such, so that it still played (mostly) like '94.

I'm still saddened that it never got a US release. The only release is the Japanese PlayStation 2 one.

Dizzy-4U

I will give 100 cookies to the person that can mod un-inverted controls to GunValkyrie.

I spent an hour trying to get used to it but I'm too fucking old man, I can't adapt as fast as I used to. Those weird inverted people ruining it for everyone :(

spookyfish

So I decided to boot up the old 'Box, and the power wouldn't come on. Shit. My mind is wondering about the clock capacitor, and the power supply, Etc.

I get my torx set out, and start breaking seals and unscrewing bolts, and looking on YouTube for what I need to look out for.

I open up the box, struggle with getting the hard drive assembly off to view the motherboard, and ... Nothing. There was nothing out of sorts. What the hell ...

Then I remembered the updated power cord MS sent out, which has a GFI (ground fault interrupt) type button on it. I crawl behind the old TV, and -- sure enough, I needed to press the reset button.

Booted up fine after that.

I think all of them do, so long as you have the proper partition setup (which hacked drives are lacking most of the time)

Oh! Is that why my "Xbox Original" Guilty Gear X isn't working on my 360 E?

I transfered all my licenses to an E from an og white 360 but I'm using a 3rd party drive I bought off Amazon.

REDSLATE

Finding anything regarding the Xbox online is virtually impossible, thanks to Microsoft idiotic naming scheme.

What can you tell me about video cables? I'm considering changing the Scart cable that came with mine (I bought it used, I don't know if it's an original cable sold with the console or what) because it's plagued with the common Scart disease: the audio is buzzing on bright screens because of lack of wire shielding. What cable would you recommend?

I saw cables with digital audio out at the console end, but they are grey which makes me think they are 360 cables, not Xbox. Are the cables compatibles, can the Xbox output digital audio? I won't get such cable immediately but once I have a proper amplifier it would be nice to have digital audio out, if such thing is possible.
When you search, type -360 -one. That should rid you of most irrelevant data.

Since you're mentioning scart, I'm guessing you have a European Xbox. From what I've read, European Xboxes don't support HD stock. You'll have to mod it if you want HD (well worth it). Whether that means the component cables won't work at all is unknown (I think you'll just be limited to SD). The official cables are black, not grey, and they support digital audio. Don't get 3rd party component cables as they're lower quality.

Shaneus

I'm not sure how easy it is to hack/"jailbreak" a 360 these days, but on my JTAG 360 (I have an untouched one as well, which is my main gaming box) you can get a version of that particular partition that'll attempt to play all OG Xbox titles, not just a few specific ones. Surprisingly, I've found a few that play better than titles that were made official (like Rallisport 2).

Borman

Many titles do have legit issues though. Ive done it on a development kit. Its something anyway.

Getting another unreleased title in the mail Saturday hopefully, featuring a tech demo for a game made by a company more famous for their game engine.

Shaneus

Many titles do have legit issues though. Ive done it on a development kit. Its something anyway.
Absolutely. At least I now know where that unlocked BC partition came from... I thought someone just hacked the retail one, now I know.

Just bummed me that RSC2 ran so damn well but it never saw the light of day BC-wise. Especially considering it was better than the majority of stuff I got to try. Off the top of my head, Outrun 2, PGR2, Sonic Heroes all ran worse. Quantum Redshift and Deathrow I remember being considerably better than on the original Xbox. QR looked like a first-gen 360 (or early XBLA) title!

Getting another unreleased title in the mail Saturday hopefully, featuring a tech demo for a game made by a company more famous for their game engine.

Ok, elaborate. Now. Please? Pretty please?

Borman

You'll see once I get it in hah. It's not going to be an incredible game, the company isn't famous for its games. But its a neat piece of Xbox history regardless. I'll say its a prototype pitch project, so it'll be one level at best.

Jamix012

Don't worry. The retro game craze is about 10 years or so in the past. Pretty soon Xbox games will become popular again and demand (and prices) will jump.

Enjoy the system and its games while you can still find them cheaply.

The Gamecube launched the same year and is definitely suffering from crazy prices. Still, the Xbox is a very nice way to get into collecting right now, and while it will rise, I don't think it'll ever match Gamecube, Saturn etc.

Borman

Started working on a video that will be coming at some point featuring quite a few of the development controllers for the Xbox. Missing one major one with plenty of others though.

SySEXNo.png

Top Bottom