• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

HTupolev

No i get that im just wondering why Cold Fear keeps defaulting to 480p even though the settings show both options (and 1080i) selected.
When you check a resolution box, you're basically saying "my TV can accept this", and the Xbox will choose the highest one that both the title supports and that you've checked off. Relatively few games actually support 720p and 1080i, and there was no standard onboard scaling back then, so the console isn't going to automatically upscale lower-res titles for a higher-res signal, either.

edit: Oh, the box claims 720p? Googled a bit, it sounds like that's incorrect.

koopas

When you check a resolution box, you're basically saying "my TV can accept this", and the Xbox will choose the highest one that both the title supports and that you've checked off. Relatively few games actually support 720p and 1080i, and there was no standard onboard scaling back then, so the console isn't going to automatically upscale lower-res titles for a higher-res signal, either.

edit: Oh, the box claims 720p? Googled a bit, it sounds like that's incorrect.
Hey thank you for that! I was going insane trying to figure out what i had done wrong. Figures its the box that is wrong lol

Borman

Was looking through the demo section on the Voodoo Vince disc and saw a trailer for an mmo called True Fantasy Live Online and thought "this never came out did it?". Nope, no it didn't.

here's the trailer in horrible quality

Also I figured out a trick to get certain Xbox games to display in 480p on the later gen Xboxes. If they have a demo section you can navigate to it and it will then display properly and you can return to the game. For Panzer Dragoon Orta you can navigate to the original Panzer Dragoon (after you unlock it) and that will do the trick too.

I have much higher quality footage posted on my YT channel for TFLO

https://www.youtube.com/user/ptoponline/search?query=true+fantasy

REDSLATE

Was looking through the demo section on the Voodoo Vince disc and saw a trailer for an mmo called True Fantasy Live Online and thought "this never came out did it?". Nope, no it didn't.

here's the trailer in horrible quality
Yeah, I remember seeing a vid for it on one of my OXM discs back in the day. I was actually looking forward to it at the time. It looked like a solid game.

Unfortunately, its demise was due to yet another snag in the Xbox's lengthy history of cultural differences.

Yeah, I remember seeing a vid for it on one of my OXM discs back in the day. I was actually looking forward to it at the time. It looked like a solid game.

Unfortunately, its demise was due to yet another snag in the Xbox's lengthy history of cultural differences.
I thought it was canceled when MS caught wind of Level 5 funneling development funds into Dragon Quest 8 instead of TFLO?

REDSLATE

I thought it was canceled when MS caught wind of Level 5 funneling development funds into Dragon Quest 8 instead of TFLO?

I don't believe it was anything drastic like that. The Japanese company working on the game simply kept busting suspenses and Microsoft finally pulled funding (with most of the game complete sadly).

Among other problems was also the stipulation that the LIVE communicator be fully incorporated for voice chat. The company working on the game had made almost no progress in this regard.

Borman

It was another game that had very little direction beyond what we saw, because as it turns out, making an MMO is hard hah

koopas

Just picked up Jet Grind Radio (standalone not the Sega GT bundle pack). Jesus when did this game getso expensive? I lucked out and found it for cheap.

Next up is finding toe jam and earl 3 - is it even worth it? I never hear anyone talk about this one does it stack up to the first two?

REDSLATE

Just picked up Jet Grind Radio (standalone not the Sega GT bundle pack). Jesus when did this game getso expensive? I lucked out and found it for cheap.

Next up is finding toe jam and earl 3 - is it even worth it? I never hear anyone talk about this one does it stack up to the first two?

Just to clarify, that's the Dreamcast one right?

Shaneus

I got my JSRF before I got my actual Xbox. Was on sale second-hand super early in it's lifespan, was right around when Halo was first offered as a pack-in.

Wounded

Wooohoo!

Finally got my OG Xbox setup and working through a HDMI converter (which cost a bomb).

I don't quite know if it's set up right. It looks like the text is ever so slightly vibrating if that makes sense. Anyone else had anything like this?

Actually now I mention it, I can't see the dashboard so to speak. If I put a game in, it loads up. With no game, I get a black screen. My tv is acting as if there's signal, but not receiving anything.

EDIT Definitely something weird going on... with scart I can see the dash and play games as normal. With the component cables, no menus at all, (even the JSRF/SEGA GT selection menu. I'm hoping it's down to poor component cables I bought, but it seems odd I can laod games fine?

Double EDIT: I'm guessing this is due to the dashboard being at 480i instead of P right?

REDSLATE

Wooohoo!

Finally got my OG Xbox setup and working through a HDMI converter (which cost a bomb).

I don't quite know if it's set up right. It looks like the text is ever so slightly vibrating if that makes sense. Anyone else had anything like this?

Actually now I mention it, I can't see the dashboard so to speak. If I put a game in, it loads up. With no game, I get a black screen. My tv is acting as if there's signal, but not receiving anything.

EDIT Definitely something weird going on... with scart I can see the dash and play games as normal. With the component cables, no menus at all, (even the JSRF/SEGA GT selection menu. I'm hoping it's down to poor component cables I bought, but it seems odd I can laod games fine?

Double EDIT: I'm guessing this is due to the dashboard being at 480i instead of P right?

It's a combination of things...

First, you're converting analog to digital, which means there is going to be some picture distortion regardless (likely darker/more saturated).

Second, the quality of the converter itself will play a role on how the image is displayed (possibly your wavering text).

Third, your Television is scanning for an input. Because it is passing through a converter, there will be a delay in signal recognition. I also believe there is already a slight delay when using component cables (splash screen or title card appearing part of the way through launching).

480i shouldn't interfere too much with the conversion process provided your hardware supports it.

Peltz

Wooohoo!

What converter are you utilizing? You should post your impressions and questions in this thread if you if you get a chance. It's a great resource for converters and image quality from old consoles.

Wounded

I'll find out exactly soon but I don't think it's a very high quality one at all.

@REDSLATE, thanks for the info. It seemingly is the converted I'm using because I setup a old TV I have with component connections and that works just fine (and gave me a nice stable image too).

I'm not really sure what's going on. I plan to eventually softmod it, (I'm a PAL user) and I will attempt to enable 480p dashboard to see if that makes any difference.

REDSLATE

I'll find out exactly soon but I don't think it's a very high quality one at all.

@REDSLATE, thanks for the info. It seemingly is the converted I'm using because I setup a old TV I have with component connections and that works just fine (and gave me a nice stable image too).

I'm not really sure what's going on. I plan to eventually softmod it, (I'm a PAL user) and I will attempt to enable 480p dashboard to see if that makes any difference.
Yeah, a direct connection is the way to go. Glad you got it straightened out.

Good luck with the mod. It may seem like a lot of work at first, but it's actually pretty easy and unlocks a lot of potential (especially for a PAL system).

Wounded

Thanks, I'm looking forward to giving it a go. I actually had an old Xecuter chip back on my original Xbox but I eventually removed it I think, due to Xbox Live issues, and I only used it to play NTSC games.

I actually have just ordered this:

jAPFYMGh.jpg

This should work I believe? I'll order a memory card too. I know it would have been cheaper to go down the usb cable route, but I didn't want to mess around too much with which usb drives would and wouldn't work. I found a list of good ones, but couldn't easily find any in the UK.

REDSLATE

I know it would have been cheaper to go down the usb cable route, but I didn't want to mess around too much with which usb drives would and wouldn't work. I found a list of good ones, but couldn't easily find any in the UK.
That's a wise deciscion.

To be honest, finding a compatible flash drive was the hardest part for me. I had a whole slew of 'em lined up, one of which was a Kingston 512 MB (which supposedly work the best), but none of them worked. The worst part was not knowing if it was because they weren't compatible or because I'd done something wrong procedurally.

As a Hail-Marry, I plugged in an old MP3 player and partway through saying "There's no way this is gonna..." The prompt came up asking me to format it. Everything after was cake.

I used an Xbox memory unit in a controller hooked up to my GC/Xbox/PS2-to-PC adapter, which amazingly enough supports Xbox memory units, despite being a quite cheap thing with absolutely no settings or options (the ability to remap the button layout would have been quite nice, it's weird).

I'm running into something odd. I just got a new Trinitron CRT with component input, but no progressive scan. I plugged in the component cables and got a normal screen when I boot into the original dashboard, but when I boot into homebrew it tries to kick it into progressive scan. I went and hooked it up to my HDTV and turned off those settings, but when I brought it back it autodetected and scrambled up the screen again. Any ideas?

Borman

You may have to clear the settings for whatever you are using (some can be deleted using the save file from the standard dash). I know XBMC, for example, likes to ignore any changes to your set resolution.

Wounded

Quick question -

I know LCD tv's are never going to look amazing, but how much difference does using 480p over 480i make? I only have a PAL xbox, and will probably mod it soon.

REDSLATE

Quick question -

I know LCD tv's are never going to look amazing, but how much difference does using 480p over 480i make? I only have a PAL xbox, and will probably mod it soon.
Scroll back a few pages. I think someone presented a dashboard comparison of 480i vs 480p.

Overall, it will look much cleaner.

More importantly, once you mod your console, you will be able to mess with other a/v settings that you wouldn't ordinarily have access to. One of the biggest visual improvements I noticed was from simply removing the flicker-filter (designed with CRTs in mind) and I think changing the "softness." I was amazed by how much better everything looked despite being displayed at the exact same resolution. Additionally, (for a PAL system) you will then be able to display 720p over component (though only a handful of games support it).

Valkyria

Banned
Quick question -

It makes a real difference. I modded my Pal console and never looked back.

Wounded

Thanks, that's great to know. Obviously I wasn't expecting a brilliant image, but it's a little worse than I remember. I'm aware the component cables I bought we're not of high quality at all. Worth getting some better ones you think? I suppose I should wait until modded.

Also another silly question - how easy is it to mod the console to support 480p yet still play pal games? I have JSRF on the dual disc, is it easy to force that copy to 480p?

REDSLATE

Thanks, that's great to know. Obviously I wasn't expecting a brilliant image, but it's a little worse than I remember. I'm aware the component cables I bought we're not of high quality at all. Worth getting some better ones you think? I suppose I should wait until modded.

Also another silly question - how easy is it to mod the console to support 480p yet still play pal games? I have JSRF on the dual disc, is it easy to force that copy to 480p?
An OEM component cable is definitely worth it as it will improve the picture quality and offer suport for a higher resolution.

Once you mod your console, it will be region free. Your PAL games will run just fine, and you will also be able to play NTSC (and NTSC-J) games.

Forcing resolution and aspect ratio is something I'm looking into myself. It's possible, but I don't currently know how to go about it. In all likelihood, it's probably easier to simply play the NTSC version (which should already be 480p).

Wounded

OK so if I'm reading correctly, I can still use my PAL Jet Set Radio Future in NTSC mode at 480p, and not have to get an NTSC version ?(this goes for all my games, I guess)

With regards to the cable, I'll keep an eye out. I'm in the UK and stuff like that doesn't seem particularly abundant. There are some 3rd party cables which are more expensive/claim to be better but I don't know how true that is.

REDSLATE

OK so if I'm reading correctly, I can still use my PAL Jet Set Radio Future in NTSC mode at 480p, and not have to get an NTSC version ?(this goes for all my games, I guess)

With regards to the cable, I'll keep an eye out. I'm in the UK and stuff like that doesn't seem particularly abundant. There are some 3rd party cables which are more expensive/claim to be better but I don't know how true that is.

I'm not too familiar with PAL region games. The only difference I'm aware of is that during this era (sixth gen) they ran at 50hz rather than 60hz (correct me if I'm wrong). If those games are 480i, they won't run in 480p without first hex-editing them. If your game is PAL, it will still run like a PAL game on a modded system (outside of some improvements mentioned such as flicker-filter, softening, and the general clarity offered via component). The main benefits of a mod would be that your console will now be capable of higher resolutions, more picture control, and can alternatively run NTSC and NTSC-J games.

Should you wish, you could potentially force 480p as mentioned, but this is currently outside the scope of my knowledge.

Check out the following sites for more info on hex-editing:
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2366&start=20
http://ps2wide.net/xbox.html

Perhaps someone else can better explain how to go about editing resolution and aspect ratio at will. I know I'm interested in learning more about it.

As for the component cables, there are three options that I would recommend considering, the first two are from Microsoft and the final option comes from Monster. Personally, I dislike the Monster brand (overpriced and low-quality), though the general consensus is that their performance is on-par with that of the official offerings (albeit, physically much tighter on the connection). Microsoft offers a break-out style box which you connect a set of component cables to externally or a solid cable (similar to the stock, composite cable). They are functionally identical and would be my personal preference over the Monster cables.

Wounded

Thanks a lot for the information, that really helps. I'll look into doing that, and patching the games.

According to what I read here:
http://www.bordersdown.net/threads/47122-Playing-Xbox-progressive-scan-on-a-Pal-machine

Some games might actually work in 480p in NTSC mode, although not all (namely EA games) I guess I'll just have to find out (will update here if anyone wants to know)

I'll just keep scanning ebay for now then, their are Monster cables available but their quite expensive.

One final question then - I don't mind getting NTSC versions of games I already own - will saves games work then? It would be a shame to lose all my progress.

I'm really hoping I can improve the image quality some what. Some games have...it's like a slight blur or second outline? Not sure how to describe it.

REDSLATE

One final question then - I don't mind getting NTSC versions of games I already own - will saves games work then? It would be a shame to lose all my progress.

From personal experience, I was able to utilize some of the saves between NTSC and PAL in Breakdown. I believe it had something to do with the character set (lettering) used in some of the dialogue. To what extent this may apply to other games is unknown, but I'd say it's possible.

Wounded

OK so I finally have my Xbox softmodded and running in NTSC mode!

480p is working all fine. Good news is my PAL games seem to be working so far (at least JSRF is) so that's a big bonus. Still LOTS of things to play around with but so far, so good.

REDSLATE

OK so I finally have my Xbox softmodded and running in NTSC mode!

480p is working all fine. Good news is my PAL games seem to be working so far (at least JSRF is) so that's a big bonus. Still LOTS of things to play around with but so far, so good.

Nice, man. Welcome to the cool club!

Superballs

Neo Member
os8Y9L9.jpg

My favorite Xbox game. I bought one at launch but it was the XBL beta that just blew my mind. It came with the demo disc thingy with the first Moto GP on it. Those 16 player(hope I remember this correctly) races were just magic and everyone had a headset, which made it a crazy laugh.

When the second game arrived it had less players cos there was no demo but it had such an awesome community. Think there was around 40k players on the scoreboards, which worked based on your lap times whether you got a PB in the time trial mode or in the online racing. I still miss this way of ranking players. I remember so many Saturday nights with full rooms all having a mad laugh. I haven't tried any newer bike racing games seems the genre has gone down the toilet since Climax got shut down. Here's a screen of some gameplay.

Z7sRouA.jpg

Did anyone else play either of these games?

I have the first MotoGP game. If I remember though the second one was the one where everything got all blurry when you were going fast enough. Demo blew my mind.

Havoc2049

^^^^
The early days of Xbox Live were great times. Tons of cool hardcore gamers to game with and they all had mics. In the early days, I spent my time playing MechAssault, Unreal Tournament, Phantasy Star Online and Halo CE via XBConnect. Shortly after that I was playing Halo 2, Sega GT 2002, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Project Gotham Racing 2 and Crimson Skies. Good times indeed.

I recently bought a small Xbox game collection from a gamer with good taste in games, all for a good price. Call of Cthulhu, Conker, Ninja Gaiden Black and the Mace Griffin soundtrack are new to the collection. I'm a Henry Rollins/Black Flag fan, so the Mace Griffin soundtrack is kinda cool, as Rollins did the music and was the voice of the main character. I still have my original Xbox along with Ninja Gaiden and the two Hurricane DLC packs, so I never really felt the need to own Ninja Gaiden Black, but it's nice to have it in the collection.
WP_20150302_002_zpsaeb92a99.jpg

Raldoh

Finally got hold of an OG Xbox (PAL) as well as two controller S! Works beautifully. Foolishly traded in my original one back in 06 believing the 360 would be fully BC...

Going to play through Beyond Good and Evil and start another attempt beating Ninja Gaiden for the first time. Also have both Halo games, Fable and Midtown Madness 3. I would love to try out Rallisport Challenge 2, great graphics for its time and seems to have really good gamplay overall. Any other recommendations? Primarily interested in platform/console exclusive or any version where the xbox is preferable to the pc.

Ordered Splinter Cell and a USB adapter for a future softmod, how much do load times decrease compared to running them via DVD?

Peagles

Finally got hold of an OG Xbox (PAL) as well as two controller S! Works beautifully. Foolishly traded in my original one back in 06 believing the 360 would be fully BC...

Going to play through Beyond Good and Evil and start another attempt beating Ninja Gaiden for the first time. Also have both Halo games, Fable and Midtown Madness 3. I would love to try out Rallisport Challenge 2, great graphics for its time and seems to have really good gamplay overall. Any other recommendations? Primarily interested in platform/console exclusive or any version where the xbox is preferable to the pc.

Ordered Splinter Cell and a USB adapter for a future softmod, how much do load times decrease compared to running them via DVD?

Nice! I never owned an OG Xbox but managed to get my hands on (well, picking it up this weekend) a PAL one too with two controller S! I really want to softmod too, mind sharing any resources? I'm not new to modding but every system has its quirks it seems! I have Nightfire so might try that and pick up Splinter Cell if I can't get that working.

Raldoh

Nice! I never owned an OG Xbox but managed to get my hands on (well, picking it up this weekend) a PAL one too with two controller S! I really want to softmod too, mind sharing any resources? I'm not new to modding but every system has its quirks it seems! I have Nightfire so might try that and pick up Splinter Cell if I can't get that working.

I haven't done it yet but I'll most likely follow the link below as it seems to be very simple and fool proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPN__PBv3E

Laws00

Got me a bunch of games

Otogi 1 and 2 (first one hasn't come yet)
A sealed copy of Spike Out
and brute force

Wanted to get Sudeki but I don't think i'd ever want to play it. Mainly got it for the girl on the box lol :(

I picked up a PAL (Crystal) Xbox a month or two ago. I never actually owned one myself, so my only experience with the system was playing it at a friend's house (mainly Halo and PGR). Until last week I'd only turned it on to see if it worked as I didn't have any games for it. Over the last few days I've bought:

Silent Hill 2: Inner Fears
Genma Onimusha
Obscure
PGR2

I've never played the Xbox versions of SH2 and Onimusha, and I've never played Obscure at all, so I'm looking forward to that.

Slightly off topic, but if anyone knows of any PS2/Xbox survival horror games I may have missed that are a) outside of the big ones (RE, SH, etc), and b) are relatively cheap to buy, please let me know.

Top Bottom