• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

koopas

A point you towards 'Siberia'. It's a beautiful (720p) point and click that has some horror elements. Comes recommended.

I picked up a PAL (Crystal) Xbox a month or two ago. I never actually owned one myself, so my only experience with the system was playing it at a friend's house (mainly Halo and PGR). Until last week I'd only turned it on to see if it worked as I didn't have any games for it. Over the last few days I've bought:

Silent Hill 2: Inner Fears
Genma Onimusha
Obscure
PGR2

I've never played the Xbox versions of SH2 and Onimusha, and I've never played Obscure at all, so I'm looking forward to that.

Slightly off topic, but if anyone knows of any PS2/Xbox survival horror games I may have missed that are a) outside of the big ones (RE, SH, etc), and b) are relatively cheap to buy, please let me know.

You have done good. Now buy Rallisport Challenge 2, and you're set.

Fatal frame series is quite decent from what I've heard, no idea about pricing though.
I've just bought the Xbox version of the first game. If I like it enough, I'll buy the PS2 version too. Thanks for the recommendation.

A point you towards 'Siberia'. It's a beautiful (720p) point and click that has some horror elements. Comes recommended.
Hmm. I only see one copy on eBay (UK) and it's £20 (it's new and sealed), which is more than I'm willing to pay. There are plenty of copies of the second game that are cheap enough, though. Is it worth playing if I haven't played the first one?

You have done good. Now buy Rallisport Challenge 2, and you're set.
I do love me some PGR. In fact, my first experience with Xbox Live was with PGR, although I don't remember which one it was. All I remember is that the very first game I joined was on the Nordschleife. At night. With no headlights. Needless to say I got absolutely battered :D

REDSLATE

I've just bought the Xbox version of the first game. If I like it enough, I'll buy the PS2 version too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Any particular reason why? The Xbox version has everything the PS2 version has and more (plus it runs better). The only one you need a PS2 for is Fatal Frame III.

Any particular reason why? The Xbox version has everything the PS2 version has and more (plus it runs better). The only one you need a PS2 for is Fatal Frame III.
No real reason, it's just that I'd like to own them both (assuming I end up loving it, of course). I'm not a collector or anything, it's just that I enjoy having different versions of games I really enjoy, which is why I bought Onimusha and SH2, despite already owning the PS2 versions.

Pachimari

I'll probably re-buy a Xbox come next month as well. Unfortunately I don't remember many of the games for the platform, which aren't also out for PC. I think I'll get:

• Midtown Madness 3
  • RalliSport Challenge 2
  • Conker: Live & Reloaded
  • Grabbed by the Ghoullies
  • Blinx: The Timesweeper
  • Fatal Frame II: The Butterfly Effect
  • Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball
  • Shenmue II
  • Spider-Man 2
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
  • Voodoo Vince

Okay, that was quite a few.

Raldoh

@Madridista

Ninja Gaiden is one of the best titles for the system, 60 fps with gorgerous graphics for its time. Very challenging, definitely recommended owning!

Pachimari

@Madridista

Ninja Gaiden is one of the best titles for the system, 60 fps with gorgerous graphics for its time. Very challenging, definitely recommended owning!
Yeah I reviewed it back then but I thought I would be better off getting one of the Black versions.

stn

Okay so... I'd like to do two things with my OG XBox.

1. I want to remove the time capacity chip. Can someone please link the video again?

2. I want to soft mod the console and also install a new HDD. Can someone link one tutorial on how to do it? I've seen too many tutorials and don't know what to use. Also, which HDD's can I use?

I don't know jack about this stuff so I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks!

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I had an original Xbox long enough to play Shenmue II, but I ended up giving it to my brother afterwards because I really didn't like it. Well, in January I ran across one for like $25 at a local retro game store so I ended up getting it and like 5 games.

I've fallen in love. In fact, the Xbox has replaced the Dreamcast as my favorite console! I love how odd and off-beat a lot of the games are. Anyways, here's what my collection looks like after a few months of collecting:

WViIvMU.jpg

REDSLATE

No real reason, it's just that I'd like to own them both (assuming I end up loving it, of course). I'm not a collector or anything, it's just that I enjoy having different versions of games I really enjoy, which is why I bought Onimusha and SH2, despite already owning the PS2 versions.
See, you say you're not a collector... :)

That's cool man. Sometimes I do that for games with different boxarts.

Anyone know of any decent Xbox exclusive loot based RPGs (think Diablo or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance)?

I already have BG:DA 1 and 2.
Not sure about the "loot based" aspect, but RPGs on the original Xbox are a bit limited in number as is. It's probably easier to list them all (minus Baldur's Gate):

Arx Fatalis
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fable
Jade Empire
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

If you feel like diving into the deep, dark interwebs, you can probably find a functioning copy of Phantasy Star Online. (You can play it offline, but you have to have an original Xbox LIVE account.) PSO is actually heavily loot-based, so you should feel right at home with it.

I had an original Xbox long enough to play Shenmue II, but I ended up giving it to my brother afterwards because I really didn't like it. Well, in January I ran across one for like $25 at a local retro game store so I ended up getting it and like 5 games.

I've fallen in love. In fact, the Xbox has replaced the Dreamcast as my favorite console! I love how odd and off-beat a lot of the games are. Anyways, here's what my collection looks like after a few months of collecting:
So, you've been converted then? Welcome, brother!

Looks like your collection is coming along quite nicely. Halo and MechAssault are must-haves.

Raldoh

Anyone know of any decent Xbox exclusive loot based RPGs (think Diablo or Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance)?

Maybe Enclave? Only played it briefly way back then, it was quite fun. Developed by Starbreeze too. given their current reputation I'm currently looking for a copy to pick up, but they seem a bit rare here in Sweden at least.

d58e7

Don't know if it's been answered here already. But has there ever been a fix for playing JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta, or Gun Valkrie at 480p on a newer xbox?

Pophead

Lol, just now stumbling on this thread made me remember I have an OG xbox from 2005 still in its original box, never been used or taken outout of its packaging. Controllers and cables and still in their packaging as well.
Don't have any games for the system otherwise I'd use it even though I dunno the value of one unused.

Doczu

Gold Member

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (not exclusive)? It's Baldurs Gate DA (the same engine even) but with guns and super mutants (boy, that sounded a lot like Fallout 3 vs Oblivion...). It's not the best, but still good to play.

BTails

I remember enjoying the "Hunter: The Reckoning" games with my friends during this generation, though I can't remember how much "loot" they have, rather that they played like the Gauntlet games.

d58e7

Well on my older xbox it works fine, but the rev1.6 xbox it scrambles the video, I googled the issue and apparently it was a known issue. But one thing I couldn't find was a work around other than changing the output to 480i.

Valkyria

Banned
Well on my older xbox it works fine, but the rev1.6 xbox it scrambles the video, I googled the issue and apparently it was a known issue. But one thing I couldn't find was a work around other than changing the output to 480i.

No, there is no solution unfortunately. I can not see those game on 480p.

Just bought a bunch of games on ebay, under £19 for all this...

Amped 2
Blinx
Brothers in Arms: RtH30
Galleon
Headhunter Redemption
Mech Assault 1
Mech Assault 2
Psi-Ops
Rainbow Six 3
Silent Hill 4
Sudeki

To be added to the rest of my collection. Any major games i'm missing or should look out for?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
So, you've been converted then? Welcome, brother!

Looks like your collection is coming along quite nicely. Halo and MechAssault are must-haves.

Haha, yeah man! I'm a true believer now! I thought about getting the Halo games, but I have the MCC on the Xbone, but I'll look into the Mech Assault games

Amped 2
Blinx
Galleon
Headhunter Redemption
Mech Assault 1
Mech Assault 2
Psi-Ops
Rainbow Six 3
Silent Hill 4
Sudeki

To be added to the rest of my collection. Any major games i'm missing or should look out for?

Halo 1 of course. Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Psychonauts. PGR2. Rallisport Challenge 2. Deathrow. Arx Fatalis. Call of Cthulhu. Outrun 2 (or Coast2Coast). Crimson Skies. Shenmue II (I never played this though). Off the top of my head (that one is not a game).

Maybe Enclave? Only played it briefly way back then, it was quite fun. Developed by Starbreeze too. given their current reputation I'm currently looking for a copy to pick up, but they seem a bit rare here in Sweden at least.

Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (not exclusive)? It's Baldurs Gate DA (the same engine even) but with guns and super mutants (boy, that sounded a lot like Fallout 3 vs Oblivion...). It's not the best, but still good to play.

I remember enjoying the "Hunter: The Reckoning" games with my friends during this generation, though I can't remember how much "loot" they have, rather that they played like the Gauntlet games.

Thanks for the suggestions - going to give these a shot. Gotta love OG Xbox games, super cheap to try stuff out.

REDSLATE

Haha, yeah man! I'm a true believer now! I thought about getting the Halo games, but I have the MCC on the Xbone, but I'll look into the Mech Assault games

You may want to pick up Halo and Halo 2 for comparison, or in case... you know... you want to actually play the multiplayer.
:)

Cday

Banned

Amped 2
Blinx
Galleon
Headhunter Redemption
Mech Assault 1
Mech Assault 2
Psi-Ops
Rainbow Six 3
Silent Hill 4
Sudeki

Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood
Fable: The Lost Chapters
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (comes with CoR: Dark Athena)
Black
Breakdown
Freedom Fighters
Mercenaries
Phantom Dust
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Ghost Recon 2
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 1&2
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Ninja Gaiden Black

koopas

Hmm. I only see one copy on eBay (UK) and it's £20 (it's new and sealed), which is more than I'm willing to pay. There are plenty of copies of the second game that are cheap enough, though. Is it worth playing if I haven't played the first one?

I do love me some PGR. In fact, my first experience with Xbox Live was with PGR, although I don't remember which one it was. All I remember is that the very first game I joined was on the Nordschleife. At night. With no headlights. Needless to say I got absolutely battered :D
The second game isn't hd and I don't like it as much as the first. I'd go with the original.

Robso

Have taken the plunge and got myself an original Xbox. A question though, I'm in the UK and Phantom Dust wasn't released here. Is the only way to play the NTSC version of the game, on a UK Xbox console, to soft mod the system?

Peltz

My OG Xbox has a problem with the power cable... I really have to jam it into the console at a weird angle for it to receive any power. It will lose power when I let go of the cable.

Is this a common issue? Any easy fixes?

My OG Xbox has a problem with the power cable... I really have to jam it into the console at a weird angle for it to receive any power. It will lose power when I let go of the cable.

Sounds like a potential fire hazard. You should get a new cable.

REDSLATE

You should NEVER jam the power cable into the console. If it's not making proper contact, the power supply needs to be repaired/replaced. Trying to force it will likely cause further damage. There were problems years ago with people shoving the power cable into the socket and as a result physically damaging the internal power supply. This is what caused many of the reported fires.

Peltz

You should NEVER jam the power cable into the console. If it's not making proper contact, the power supply needs to be repaired/replaced. Trying to force it will likely cause further damage. There were problems years ago with people shoving the power cable into the socket and as a result physically damaging the internal power supply. This is what caused many of the reported fires.

Great. So, I guess I should just replace both the console and power supply to be safe?

REDSLATE

Great. So, I guess I should just replace both the console and power supply to be safe?

Not sure what you're asking here.

The power supply is inside the console. Top-down perspective with exhaust pointed away from you: It's to the right of the motherboard (under the HDD). The power supply is its own smaller board. It can be swapped out independent of the rest of the components.

If you can clearly identify that the Power Supply is the problem, swapping it out shouldn't be too difficult, though you may have to check to see if there are any compatibility issues with a replacement. If you're not sure, or the risk/reward just isn't there (ex. power supply ends up costing 2/3 of what it would cost to replace the entire console), you may wish to seek another console.

Open up the case and check it out. It could simply be loose.

I got an Xecuter Xbox at Goodwill for 7.99.

(Not my image)
DrBmIQk.jpg

I tried getting it to boot, but I can only get it to go to the MS dashboard. Otherwise it turns on and off three times, and then does nothing. This is referred to as a 'FRAG' (Flashing Red and Green) I guess, but I don't really know what to do. I read the issue could be caused by bad connections or wiring.

I opened it up and it has the stock hard drive still. Boo, boring, mine has a 200GB hard drive loaded up with my games. Still, this was neat to see an original Xbox modded with USB ports. Maybe I'll keep screwing with it, or sell it as-is on eBay, not sure what I'll do.

Cday

Banned
I think with those you have to hit one of those numbered buttons first and that will boot it into different bios' when you turn it on. Pretty neat.

MS really missed an opportunity to sell these on the 360 with the halo anniversary edition. I'd buy the shit out of one, even if they had to make the white/black buttons into proper shoulder buttons.

you know what? that is a pretty solid idea for a anniversary edition to come with a limited edition set of controllers like that for xbox one.

Top Bottom