• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh, dear lord - right-wing columnist's new book defends WWII Japanese internment

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneBone

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-4037021-4088914?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

From the Publisher
Everything you've been taught about the World War II "internment camps" in America is wrong: - They were not created primarily because of racism or wartime hysteria
- They did not target only those of Japanese descent
- They were not Nazi-style death camps
In her latest investigative tour-de-force, New York Times best-selling author Michelle Malkin sets the historical record straight-and debunks radical ethnic alarmists who distort history to undermine common-sense, national security profiling. The need for this myth-shattering book is vital. President Bush's opponents have attacked every homeland defense policy as tantamount to the "racist" and "unjustified" World War II internment. Bush's own transportation secretary, Norm Mineta, continues to milk his childhood experience at a relocation camp as an excuse to ban profiling at airports. Misguided guilt about the past continues to hamper our ability to prevent future terrorist attacks. In Defense of Internment shows that the detention of enemy aliens, and the mass evacuation and relocation of ethnic Japanese from the West Coast were not the result of irrational hatred or conspiratorial bigotry. This document-packed book highlights the vast amount of intelligence, including top-secret "MAGIC" messages, which revealed the Japanese espionage threat on the West Coast. Malkin also tells the truth about:
- who resided in enemy alien internment camps (nearly half were of European ancestry)
- what the West Coast relocation centers were really like (tens of thousands of ethnic Japanese were allowed to leave; hundreds voluntarily chose to move in)
- why the $1.65 billion federal reparations law for Japanese internees and evacuees

was a bipartisan disaster
- and how both Japanese American and Arab/Muslim American leaders have united

to undermine America's safety. With trademark fearlessness, Malkin adds desperately needed perspective to the ongoing debate about the balance between civil liberties and national security. In Defense of Internment will outrage, enlighten, and radically change the way you view the past-and the present.

About the Author
Michelle Malkin is author of the New York Times best-seller, Invasion, which ignited debate on immigration and national security in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks on America. Her nationally syndicated newspaper column, celebrating its fifth year with Creators Syndicate, is published in nearly 200 newspapers across the country. Malkin is a FOX News Channel contributor and former editorial writer and columnist for the Seattle Times and the Los Angeles Daily News. Malkin lives with her husband and children in Maryland.
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/000337.htm

IN DEFENSE OF INTERNMENT
By Michelle Malkin · August 03, 2004 06:44 AM
The word is out about my new book, In Defense of Internment: The Case for "Racial Profiling" in World War II and the War on Terror. I've been keeping it under wraps over the past year as I quietly toiled away in the wee hours of the morning, but since Instapundit kindly mentioned receiving the book yesterday, I am delighted now to share a few more details with you.

The official launch is Monday, August 9. Please check my books page for more info (including documents, bibliography, resources, errata, etc.) and notices of upcoming appearances, speeches, and book signings. For those of you in the Seattle area, I shall return to the Pacific Northwest this Friday, Aug. 6, for a speech sponsored by my friends at KVI-AM. It's at 7 pm at Cedar Park Church in Bothell. More info is here. Hope you can make it.

My aim is to kick off a vigorous national debate on what has been one of the most undebatable subjects in Amerian history and law: President Franklin Roosevelt's homeland security policies that led to the evacuation and relocation of 112,000 ethnic Japanese on the West Coast, as well as the internment of tens of thousands of enemy aliens from Japan, Germany, Italy, and other Axis nations. I think it's vitally important to get the history right because the WWII experience is often invoked by opponents of common-sense national security profiling and other necessary homeland security measures today.

A few things compelled me to write the book. Ever since I questioned President Clinton's decision to award the Congressional Medal of Honor to Japanese-American soldiers based primarly on claims of racial discrimination in 2000, several readers have urged me to research the topic of the "Japanese-American internment." World War II veterans wrote to say they agreed with my assessment of Clinton's naked politicization of the medals, but disagreed with my unequivocal statement that the internment of ethnic Japanese was "was abhorrent and wrong." They urged me to delve into the history and the intelligence leading to the decision before making up my mind.

I was further inspired by some intriguing blog debates last year between Sparkey at Sgt. Stryker and Is That Legal?. After reading a book by former National Security Agency official David Lowman called MAGIC: The untold story of U.S. Intelligence and the evacuation of Japanese residents from the West Coast during WWII, published posthumously by Athena Press Inc., I contacted publisher Lee Allen, who generously agreed to share many new sources and resources as I sought the truth.

The constant alarmism from Bush-bashers who argue that every counter-terror measure in America is tantamount to the internment was the final straw. The result is a book that I hope changes the way readers view both America's past and its present.

If you are a history buff, you will undoubtedly enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed researching and writing it. There are some incredible stories of untold courage and patriotism, as well as espionage and disloyalty, that have been buried in the mainstream WWII literature. If you are a parent with kids in high school, college, or law school, I hope you buy the book for your students or their teachers. And if you are simply an informed citizen, seeking answers about why we have failed to do what's necessary to combat our enemies on American soil (e.g., airport profiling, immigration enforcement, heightened scrutiny of Muslim chaplains and soldiers, etc.), I hope you buy the book to help gain intellectual ammunition and insights on our politically correct paralysis.

Liberal critics always ask if I've ever changed my mind about anything. Yes, I take back what I wrote in 2000; I have radically changed my mind about FDR's actions to protect the homeland. And I hope to persuade you all to do the same.

It's a daunting task, I know. This issue is fraught with emotion. Already, the first two reviews at Amazon.com have been posted--one on either side of the debate
by individuals who have obviously not read a single page of the book. Another individual, who also admits she hasn't read the book, e-mailed the following to me today with the subject headline, "Shame on you:"

I have been a fan of yours since spotting you a while ago on FOX news…and I often agree with your views. I’m therefore appalled to read on Instapundit that you have published a book which endorses the internment of Americans of Japanese descent during WWII...I’m shocked that you would use Michael Moore-ish “truth-telling” to make the case for the internment camps. My parents’ families were interned in the middle of the desert in Arizona, and it was far from the summer-camp-like experience your publisher describes on Amazon.com. You apparently note the many “amenities” in the camps---sounds almost like Moore’s depiction of pre-OIF days in Iraq.
Geez, Louise. She compares me to Michael Moore without having read a single sentence of the actual book.

Neither has Eric Muller, who runs the blog Is That Legal? that I mentioned earlier. (He is also mentioned in my book on p. 352.) Yet, based on the book cover and publisher's description alone, he comments that they do "not inspire confidence that Ms. Malkin is going to be giving us history that is Fair and Balanced." He complains that the cover unfairly likened "a Japanese-American man to Mohammed Atta"--but he does so without bothering to find out who the man on the cover is. He is Richard Kotoshirodo, a Japanese-American man who by his own admission assisted the Honolulu-based spy ring that fed intelligence to Tokyo that was key to the design of the Pearl Harbor attack. Every scholar and student who writes about Roosevelt's decision to evacuate the West Coast should know his name and story.

I expect much more emotion-driven criticism like this in days and weeks to come. And I look forward to whatever substantive debate the other side can muster up.

All that said, the fact that the book is being published at all is what made all the hard work of the past year--and the harsh ad hominem attacks sure to come--worth it. Most publishers wouldn't touch this with a 100-foot pole, and I am grateful to Regnery Publishing for fully embracing my idea. Everything else is icing on the cake (though it would be nice to outsell fluffball Maureen Dowd).

So, stay tuned. I think we are in for a wild but very necessary and educational ride.
http://americablog.blogspot.com/archives/2004_08_01_americablog_archive.html#109174065250067567
The really sad part is that it's some Asian-American woman writing this new book in defense of internment (you need to scroll down a bit to read what this guy has to say about the book). As you know, the Republicans love to find a token anti-gay gay person, or a token Uncle Tom African-American (Illlinois Senate race anyone?), and trot them out to "prove" that the civil rights struggles of those communities are all a lie, since, after all, EVEN SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE THEM AGREES THEY SHOULD BE THROWN IN PRISON CAMPS OR JAIL, OR THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE MARRIAGE, ETC.

Anyway, it's no big surprise that this woman's articles are published on WorldNetDaily, The National Review, and that she's a regular contributor to FOX. And I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that even Asians, gays, blacks, and women have their own sell-outs in their own communities (after all, we're all human, why should our communities be any less suceptible to the occasoinal freak). But it still amazes how low the Republicans will go in trying to force their agenda on the nation. Ann Coulter even tried to rehabilitate Sen. Joe McCarthy in one of her recent books. And now this Michelle Malkin woman is saying the internment camps were really nice places, and apparently a good idea to boot. And she has the nerve to criticize people like Norm Mineta who actually spent time in one of the God-forsaken camps as a child.

What Malkin unfortunately doesn't realize is that the kind of America she's promoting is the very kind of America in which she'd be one of the first to be locked up (but I guess that would be ok to her, since the accomodations in prison camps are so swell, and in any case, whatever her alleged crime she'd obviously be guilty since she's not white like the rest of us - you never can be too safe).

Not to mention, is this a subtle sign that conservatives think Arab-Americans might need to be sent to camps some day? The same logic clearly applies. If it was okay in the 40s, then it's okay today. Assuming we get the "right" intelligence backing up the threat (and hell, that should be easy - these guys pull new intelligence out of their ass by the hour). And while we're at it, how about Hilter? I mean, once he started going after some Jews, this argument would suggest that all the other German Jews might become fifth columnists. Was it okay to imprison them?

But hey, don't worry. It's "ridiculous" to compare the way Republicans are treating gay-Americans and Muslim-Americans to the way Hitler treated the Jews or the way America treated our own Japenese citizens during WWII. Yep, absolutely ridiculous and offensive comparison, don't go there, it simply could not happen again. That's what the Republicans tell us, while their most popular intellectual leaders try to relegitimize those very practices.

Makura

mm.gif

Michelle Malkin, shes cool. I've been a fan of hers, shes got a great blog. I might get this.

Michelle Malkin is a very intelligent person. I don't quite know where she's going with this book, but it does sound interesting.

What's up with this guy though:

The really sad part is that it's some Asian-American woman writing this new book in defense of internment (you need to scroll down a bit to read what this guy has to say about the book). As you know, the Republicans love to find a token anti-gay gay person, or a token Uncle Tom African-American (Illlinois Senate race anyone?), and trot them out to "prove" that the civil rights struggles of those communities are all a lie, since, after all, EVEN SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE THEM AGREES THEY SHOULD BE THROWN IN PRISON CAMPS OR JAIL, OR THAT THEY DON'T DESERVE MARRIAGE, ETC.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think anybody was under the impression that they were "Nazi style death camps."

Regardless...
President Franklin Roosevelt's homeland security policies that led to the evacuation and relocation of 112,000 ethnic Japanese on the West Coast, as well as the internment of tens of thousands of enemy aliens from Japan, Germany, Italy, and other Axis nations
That line right there makes me want to shoot somebody.

I'll definitely be getting this. I did some reading up on the issue a few years ago and got into some pretty heated debates with my friends. I'd be interested in seeing her research. She's right in that it's one of those untouchable topics.

Makura

Kobun Heat said:
She's right in that it's one of those untouchable topics.

And it shouldn't be. I hate it when people try to make certain views of history sacrosanct and attempt to crush discussion about it.

FightyF

Banned
But hey, don't worry. It's "ridiculous" to compare the way Republicans are treating gay-Americans and Muslim-Americans to the way Hitler treated the Jews or the way America treated our own Japenese citizens during WWII. Yep, absolutely ridiculous and offensive comparison, don't go there, it simply could not happen again. That's what the Republicans tell us, while their most popular intellectual leaders try to relegitimize those very practices.

This guy says it like it is!

border

I remember reading a column of hers where she went nuts because some schools have a book of Tupac's poetry on their summer reading lists. Malkin went on and on about how terrible it is that we're throwing out Shakespeare in favor of lightweight thug rhymes, even though it's really just one book on a list and not an entire ciriculum.

I guess it just strikes me as so absurd that this woman is living her life thinking that the imprisonment of innocents is okay, but having some kids read a little rap-poetry represents the fall of civilization. Down with Tupac -- Up with Internment!

Someone should ask her if she believes that we should just go ahead and put all the Middle-Easterners in camps...

Not this woman again.. I just read a column of hers about why we should FEAR a President Kerry. These wacky ass people are so hung up on fear mongering and rediculous stereotypes that it makes me sick. The funny thing is that these people get on liberals for being pussies when I think pussies is the only way to describe these damn loonies. They want to put every arab-american into an internment camp? Why don't we just euthanize all of them and give them all cholera-coated blankets while we're at it. I mean talk about pussies scared about every damn thing. Get some fuckin cajones and live in a free country or go live in your titanium bomb shelter for the rest of your life and leave us sane motherfuckers alone.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
border said:
Someone should ask her if she believes that we should just go ahead and put all the Middle-Easterners in camps...

I assumed that was what she was getting at, or at least opening the door for discussion.

Isn't she the Filipino chick that's always on Fox? Although I can't agree with any of her viewpoints, she is very articulate, intelligent and well spoken, and hearing her views on immigration can almost be convincing, but with this latest book it seems as if she's slowly becoming the ethnic Ann Coulter.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Makura said:
And it shouldn't be. I hate it when people try to make certain views of history sacrosanct and attempt to crush discussion about it.

The topic itself isn't "untouchable," however justifying internment of any kind is nigh-indefensible. There are stark differences between what was going on during World War II and what's happening now.

For starters, in World War II, our enemies were easily distinguished by recognized, national borders. As far as our government was concerned, Japan was an enemy; Germany was an enemy; Italy, too. Now, our enemy is much less defined. Our "enemy" is nothing more than clusters of networks that operate between countries, both allies and enemies. Hell, even within our own borders.

So what do you do? Internment is is almost impossible due to the fact that race isn't an identifying marker, radical religious convictions mixed with a radical political agenda is the only thing that could identify a terrorist. You can't see that. And that doesn't even begin to get into situations where a white-as-white can be U.S. citizen converts and then goes off the deep end.

Internment is also pretty counter-productive. The underlying, core impetus for a terrorist act is anger. What better way to get someone all riled up against you than to throw them in a camp where they're likely suffering pretty harsh treatment. If they weren't pissed at the U.S. before they went in, they'll likely be pretty fucking torqued about a few things when/if they get out.

The Japanese internment camps, back in the 40s, were only upheld after a case on the matter went all the way up to the Supreme Court. It wasn't easy for them back then either, because a U.S. citizen is a U.S. citizen, and detaining them in such a manner with no clear charges goes against the very foundations of the country. The Government prevailed, with a ruling about wartime powers, etc. Using strict logic, yes, it was the correct thing to do. You have no way of knowing if some Japanese guy is actually a spy who went through extensive training to dump his accent. Whether it was the right thing to do is a whole different issue.

But now? Callnig for internment would merely justify the acts of terrorists around the world. The absolute worst thing we can do is become what they already think we are. And if we do that, we lose everything.

Pimpwerx

Oh, it was called a Homeland Security policy back then? I thought it was just unchecked xenophobia. Now where did I leave that giant rolleyes?

Japanese concetration camps. I like how people call them internment camps to avoid the stigma. But let's face it. We rounded up a bunch of asians and threw them in concentration camps. Just that we didn't gas or torture any of them...that we know if. The same thing is happening with arabs in Iraq and Afghanistan, lest we forget. Concetration camps, but this time, we stepped the game up a notch. No gassings or killings, but we did include the torture and humiliation...oh, and don't forget the sodomy. Sweet, sweet sodomy. Again...where's my fucking rolleyes? PEACE.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Pimpwerx said:
Japanese concetration camps. I like how people call them internment camps to avoid the stigma.

No, what's offensive is that you're lucky if you spend a whole 45 minutes talking about it in your average high school american history course.

FoneBone

Anyway, am I the only one who just lost about every shred of respect for the right-wingers in this thread? (I doubt it.)

Drensch

The funny thing is, the people she's appealing to would just as likely call her some sort of (insert word that could get me banned) if they saw her.

This guys argument might hold some water if the Republicans were sending gays and Muslims to the showers and gassing them. Maybe if they sent them to concentration camps and starved them to death. Have them thrown into ditches and shot, and then covered with petrol and burned. Yeah, that sounds exactly like what those big, bad, Conservatives are doing.

I'd be curious to see a few snippets from the book describing how it wasn't that bad living in a camp.

"The food was quite filling, I got a good deal of daily exercise, no shortage of cots to cram into and, oh yes, I'm an American citizen and was being held against my fucking will."

1) Malkin's not advocating the internment of Arab-Americans.

2) The Japanese that were placed in the camps weren't "American citizens." They were Japanese nationals living in America.

Mau_Mau

Banned
I think it's a good sign that so many people are simply appauled by the idea of defending the internment of Japanese living in America during WW2. However, I don't think anyway on these forums has the slightest notion of how catastrophic the situation was in the world during those times. Sure, it aint exactly peaceful today - but no one here has expierenced a world which every major power was at war at the same time.

Fjord

Mau_Mau said:
I think it's a good sign that so many people are simply appauled by the idea of defending the internment of Japanese living in America during WW2. However, I don't think anyway on these forums has the slightest notion of how catastrophic the situation was in the world during those times. Sure, it aint exactly peaceful today - but no one here has expierenced a world which every major power was at war at the same time.

Yeah come on people it was a damn war. The camps really weren't that bad, I doubt most of the people outraged by this have seen them. The only thing I really have a problem with is what the government did with the property of the Japanese. The Canadian government pretty much stole millions of dollars worth of prime real estate, especially in Vancouver. They were barely compensated, if at all.

levious

Kobun Heat said:
2) The Japanese that were placed in the camps weren't "American citizens." They were Japanese nationals living in America.

http://www.pbs.org/childofcamp/

Someone's been lied to... I hope it was me, but I doubt it. I've always been told it was a mixture of both citizens and nationals.

It certainly was a different world back then, I'm glad I didn't live through it, and those saying it's unfair to judge our government's actions back then are probably right.

levious said:
Someone's been lied to... I hope it was me, but I doubt it. I've always been told it was a mixture of both citizens and nationals.
Sure, children who'd been born here went with their alien parents. But that's to be expected. And they could leave if they wanted to.

fart

Savant
Kobun Heat said:
1) Malkin's not advocating the internment of Arab-Americans.

this is the last fucking straw.

levious

The order set into motion the exclusion from certain areas, and the evacuation and mass incarceration of 120,000 persons of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast, most of whom were U.S. citizens or legal permanent resident aliens.

These Japanese Americans, half of whom were children, were incarcerated for up to 4 years, without due process of law or any factual basis, in bleak, remote camps surrounded by barbed wire and armed guards.

Again, I don't know why there's such conflicting info on this. Everything I've ever read/heard seemed pretty clear on what happened.

edit: And let's assume that there were only foreign nationals detained... certain basic rights such as due process are not reserved for only citizens. The government has obviously ignored this from time to time... but if the constitution substituted the word "citizens" for "persons" then there wouldn't be much controversy.

Kobun Heat said:

From wikipedia:
62% of whom were United States citizens

From Densho.org:
Although two-thirds were U.S. citizens...

Do some research before you say something stupid like that.

Quote:

This guys argument might hold some water if the Republicans were sending gays and Muslims to the showers and gassing them. Maybe if they sent them to concentration camps and starved them to death. Have them thrown into ditches and shot, and then covered with petrol and burned. Yeah, that sounds exactly like what those big, bad, Conservatives are doing.

:huh, I think you missed the entire point of his statement.

ConfusingJazz said:
From wikipedia:
62% of whom were United States citizens

From Densho.org:
Although two-thirds were U.S. citizens...

Do some research before you say something stupid like that.

I've done research. "Over half" of the detainees were children so that takes care of 50%. Then you have adult American citizens who went in voluntarily with their elderly parents, husbands going in with wives, etc.

A lot of American citizens went in voluntarily or along with their parents, but that doesn't mean that the aim of the camps was to intern "American citizens." If you were a citizen, you could leave.

Aurum

I'm not even sure why the quality of the camps is even really an issue. Regardless of whether or not the camp is a pound-me-in-the-ass prison or a resort, isn't the entire act of forcefully relocating people against their will enough to invalidate the entire position? That seems to be a violation of human dignity and fundamental freedoms that would be justifiable no matter where they were sent to (and also regardless of whether they were citizens or non-citizens).

levious

Kobun Heat said:
I've done research. "Over half" of the detainees were children so that takes care of 50%. Then you have adult American citizens who went in voluntarily with their elderly parents, husbands going in with wives, etc.

A lot of American citizens went in voluntarily or along with their parents, but that doesn't mean that the aim of the camps was to intern "American citizens." If you were a citizen, you could leave.

no, half of the American Citizens were children... I'm a bit scared now.

And to reiterate... Due Process is afforded to all people within our country, citizens and nationals alike.

levious said:
no, half of the American Citizens were children
No, half of the interned were children. That's what the link you posted says. "Japanese Americans" used there is a deliberately fuzzy term. 120,000 people were interned, half were children. That leaves 12% American citizens who were interned but not children, and that ends up being people over 18 who went in because their parents were going in.

Chrono

Banned
Error Macro said:

It's not what they're doing, but it's probably what a lot them want to do.

And a 2 minute search on your post history (OA.. not gaf) shows you'd probably want those things done too.

Chrono

Banned
Makura said:
Wheres me rolleyes?!

OK. "A lot of them" is an exaggeration. The thing is that whoever wants to start a Muslim holocaust will not go on TV and suggest it so we don't really know how many want to.

Now if you’re talking about GAF conservatives…I guess reading something on GA, then browsing the other forum sometimes and seeing the 180 degree turns in attitude (or more accurately the real views of the poster) has its effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom