• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oil plunges to 11-year lows on gas supply shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNBC/Reuters

Oil prices hit their lowest in over 11 years on Wednesday, as the row between Saudi Arabia and Iran was seen making any cooperation between major exporters to cut output even more unlikely, and after a sharp rise in U.S. gasoline inventories.

Last week, the U.S. added 10.1 million barrels of gasoline, the Energy Information Administration said. It added 900,000 the week before. However, U.S. crude inventories dropped by 5.1 million barrels last week.

"It's the biggest increase in gasoline supply since 1993," said John Kilduff, founding partner at Again Capital. "Gasoline prices are going to collapse"

#RIPCanada

557930456_bb13840842.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Paying cash in New Jersey (you get discounted rates over cards) the lowest I've seen this week was $1.61 a gallon of regular gas. Compare this to a year ago when it was sometimes near $3 a gallon, well I'm not complaining.

Also makes my decision to wait a few years and buy the consumer model Tesla a little easier.

As nice as it is, I haven't really felt the awesomeness. I have a 4 cylinder pick up truck and most of my driving isn't more than 10 miles. I renovated out an oil heater for a heat pump hoping to go solar someday. I almost want it to go up to see more invested in electric.

Madness

And yet, I'm still paying the same price I did when oil was $80-$100 a barrel. At these prices, most people in Canada should be paying half of what they pay for a litre of gas, but they won't be. This will also kill whatever oil sands investment was going to occur. The loss of manufacturing, tech, and other heavy industry into becoming mostly a petro dollar economy and this is the rewards. Feel bad for people in Alberta especially. Bring on the $89.99 CAD games.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Low oil prices are here to stay. Highly unlikely we will see prices above 40 any time soon.

Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar tanks further and the central bank will likely cut interests at least once if not twice this year. 65c CAD here we come.

HylianTom

Banned
Personally? No big deal. When gas is expensive, it costs me maybe ~$12 to fill-up the motorbike, and that lasts ~2 weeks.

Politically? Yay. Stay low, oil prices.. if only for another 10 months.

NH Apache

Banned
I would say now is the time to fill up our reserves, but I have a feeling that all our reserves are full to the brim.

Yeah they are and with the new allowance to export, we've been shipping out our own stuff:

http://gcaptain.com/2016/01/04/first-u-s-oil-and-lng-sails-into-global-market/#.Vo1M1PkrKUk

Low oil prices are here to stay. Highly unlikely we will see prices above 40 any time soon.

Meanwhile, the Canadian dollar tanks further and the central bank will likely cut interests at least once if not twice this year. 65c CAD here we come.

I disagree. Next year, I'd expect we are back to 80/barrel at least.

Gas is nearly 3 bucks still last time I was at the pump hear in Southern California.....

Which is crazy, because it dropped down to about 2.50 about a month and half ago, then shot up again.

Quixzlizx

they won't ever have a monopoly on renewables though.

Energy companies don't have a monopoly on oil, either. Do you think ExxonMobile owns all of the fracking sites?

And I'm not sure what the point is, anyway. You don't need to have a monopoly on something to remain a behemoth in your sector.

old

Yeah, oil companies don't like that. So they bribed congress to end the export ban. Now we've got to compete against buyers from around the world.

Oil prices went down because there's new American oil on the international market. Gas prices for us are going up.

Yet over the past few weeks prices went up 40 cents or more here in Southern California.

I keep saying in every thread, how the government of this fkn state lets its tax paying citizens take it from behind and never questions big oli is beyond me, and its pretty disgusting. No one in this city questions anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madness

This is great but probably terrible for the green movement.

The green movement is going to continue even if oil is super cheap again because the dangers of climate change, pollution, rising sea levels are finally starting to be noticed by pretty much every major country. American politicians are calling it the greatest economic opportunity since the explosion of microprocessors and computers transforming silicon valley, China has spent hundreds of billions on wind and solar energy, developing firms and companies and investing worldwide so they can dominate first.

This will impact hybrid and electric vehicles, low gas prices always do, but this oversupply of oil coupled with such a low price means there will be little stomach in the US to capitulate to those who want Arctic drilling etc.

klonere

Banned
Poor Alberta has an enormous, geographically appreciable gaping wound in the middle of it and now its all for naught.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom