• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr_Moogle

As much as I like Wipeout, I basically use it as a replacement for Fzero. If Nintendo announced a remaster of Fzero GX or a new Fzero game, I'd probably forget Wipeout even exists.

I've only played one game from either franchise, and only F-Zero GX stuck with me. The music, characters and the ridiculous levels and speed are already enough, but then watching AGDQ runs of the tough-as-eating-a-bowl-of-nails story mode or anything else really just set it that much bigger. Game is stupid fun to watch.

senj

F-Zero GX is pretty much the pinnacle of racing games. It's never been toped. It might never be toped.

At it's highest levels of play it's probably pushing the limits of how fast this kind of game can be and remain playable at all. It's also a remarkable technical achievement on its hardware, and a Nintendo game built by an amazing team from Sega. Everything about it is incredible.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah, that's complete horseshit, thanks.

This is some actual nonsense. One of the rare instances where 'git gud' truly applies.

Yeah no. If that was the case then "git gud" could be used for any game ever with average or flat out terrible gameplay.

I'm shit at F-Zero (and Wipeout) but have still been playing games long enough to duscern what makes one game better than the other.

I'm not even an overly big fan of F-Zero. Like, at all. Arcade racers like Split/Second are more my thing.

yyr

The best thing about WipEout is the soundtrack.

The best thing about F-Zero is the EVERYTHING.

Sorry to WipEout fans, but I personally choose the 60fps game with the better sense of speed (and higher speed, at that), the better and more responsive control, and without the lame (IMO) weapons.

That said, at least they are still (re-)releasing (old) games that say WipEout on them. Nintendo stupidly thinks that until they have some sort of new gimmick to sell us, there is no reason to make another F-Zero. Oh, I don't know, how about HD graphics and online play? Argh.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Even though I love both I'd have to go wi the F-Zero.

F-Zero GX is one of the pinnacles of arcade racing. Wipeout has never really been on that level.

Kremzeek

I've always preferred the Wipeout series.

The aesthetic/design, the racing tracks, the music, the weapons.
At higher levels I've never ever found myself wishing it was "faster" either.

The Wipeout series has always seemed more "adult" and cool, and FZero like a kind of ugly also-ran for Nintendo fanatics.

it seems that most of the criticisms being thrown around in this thread are coming from people who don't know much about the shit they're criticizing
I imagine it's because they haven't played Wipeout but want to defend Nintendo's dead franchise

I know this to be true with how many people are claiming 30fps lol. Was their only exposure to Wipeout that shitty Vita game?

Mr_Moogle

Music is one area where Wipeout is better.

Still though, that track design in Fzero GX is unbeatable.

Fzero GX remastered in 4k/ 60fps with 32 player online is my dream racing game.

SephLuis

Try playing it at that speed and see how long you last.

As someone who did got to the later stages of Zone mode in Wipeout HD, the sense of speed in both are very different. F-Zero does have a bigger sense of speed and the gameplay was built to maintain it.

Wipeout HD tries to see how long you will last while continuously increasing the speed. You won't get in supersonic in a race and you will eventually crash because of physics that will demand so.

Neff

I feel that people that say this are either overly infatuated with Nintendo, or have just not played a Wipeout game. To say "it's not even close" is disingenuous at best.

I feel that people who throw out console war-y accusations probably either don't have a point to make, or subscribe to bias themselves.

I've played a ton of Wip3out. I like it a lot. But F-Zero has (imo) better visuals, music, technique and most obviously a better sense of smoothness and speed.

Daouzin

I feel that people that say this are either overly infatuated with Nintendo, or have just not played a Wipeout game. To say "it's not even close" is disingenuous at best.

I have played both and can EASILY say, it's not even close. Wipeout's look and style is just too bland and the perspective isn't as good as F-Zero.

Most ships also don't control as tight, but i imagine that's a preference thing since both games offer a variety in this regard.

ZiZ

Definitely F-Zero.

I disliked Wipeout's floaty controls.
Wipeout's soundtrack is good but F-Zero's soundtrack is amazing.
F-Zero also had better art design.

Koopatrol

I've only ever played Wipeout, so I can't say which is better. But people dismissing Wipeout for saying it has no depth or nuance, come on man. I can't say it has more depth than F-Zero (like I said, I never played it), but it definitely does have depth. Wipeout really emphasizes the barrel roll, air brake, and side shift mechanics, and man, some people are able to use them to perfection to do some crazy stuff. I think this guy's video is pretty impressive. Controlling this ship is not easy, and doing those barrel rolls... man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0zf95hUmlU

This....really isn't very close to the sense of speed for F-Zero.

This is actually my video. The only reason it has that many views is because I was the first to upload a Wipeout video in 1080p 60FPS when the feature first became available on YouTube. Zone mode gets faster as it goes on. Zone 75 isn't really that impressive, which is what I do in the video. People can get to near Zone 150 on that track and it looks insane.

I still can't believe Fzero GX didn't sell. It's such an awesome game with an incredible pedigree. What the hell is wrong with the world?

Maybe people actually like to be able to play the game they buy for more than just a few race before hitting an impossible difficulty wall? I bought that game at launch and I still regret it today. One of the most frustrating game I ever played.

teepo

love both but have to go with wipeout

reading through the comments though, it's clear a few individuals haven't played a wipeout game outside of a ps1 demo kiosk

edit: i'd also add that while i do think fzero gx is one of the goats, snaking ruined the game for me when i was competing on forum leaderboards. such a shit mechanic imo

Socreges

Banned
It goes both ways:

Wipeout. Easily.

Wipeout by an absolute mile, no doubt.

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

I've played F-Zero once... ONCE. Wipeout by an incredibly large margin.

Why is this even a question? Wipeout. F-zero is just for the Nintendo fanboys
For me, I'll say F-Zero thanks to GX, though I haven't played much Wipeout. And yeah, FZ is dead.

F-Zero

Wipeout is a bit like Crash Bandicoot and CTR in that they're pretty average but because PlayStation only gamers can't play FZero, Mario or Mario Kart they're suddenly amazing and completely over rated.

tumblr_n4umprRsUM1s8ouhxo1_400.gif

Jonnax

Wipeout HD blew me away. Playing on Phantom, and just getting in the zone with all the turns on the tracks. It's pure brilliance. The art felt futuristic and the teams all had their own stylings.
I played the entire game as Feisar, because that blue ship looked too good. 👌👌👌

Also not a fan of GX. X on the N64 is better. But I think because that's the game I spent countless hours on with my sister, mother and father. The music was great as well, I felt that GX's soundtrack felt at home on a loud arcade floor rather than a living room. Blue Blue's N64 mix is 10/10. Boost on the second lap woo!

Playing Mario Kart 8 and going on the Big Blue and Mute city tracks was so nostalgic. Shame the big blue track didn't have that pipe thing. Would have worked with the whole anti gravity thing the game had going.

It's funny how obvious Nintendo-only people are. It's like with the Zelda reviews "X game can't be superior to a NINTENDO game. I tried it on the PS1 and it was TRASH" 😉

It warms my heart to see so much support for Wipeout. I know F-Zero is a phenomenal game, but I have a special place in my heart for the nuance of Wipeout's physics. And I just prefer the aesthetics. I'm very pleased that the series is coming back. I hope F-Zero fans will get the same.

sbkodama

The only one I can think of is Fzero GX with its analog steering and straphes.
The lack of analog straphes can't make others fzero as good to play.

Wipeout aestetic is something but the gameplay is too floaty.

Top Bottom