• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok. Kirk vs Picard. Who's the better captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykomatsu

Captain Jelico > Picard

w/o Jelico, Picard would probably still be a POW on Cardassia or some shit.

Speaking of admirals...I liked Admiral Nachayev (or however you spell her name)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mr Pockets said:
Kirk did it first....without Kirk's "save" there would have been nothing.

IE : Star Trek IV

And if Sisko hadn't saved Kirk''s life first, there would have been no save in Star Trek IV, and therefore no save in First Contact.

Cheebs

DrForester said:
And if Sisko hadn't saved Kirk''s life first, there would have been no save in Star Trek IV, and therefore no save in First Contact.
Well Spock time traveled and saved Kirk's life before Sisko did in the new movie and Spock was promoted to Captain so by that logic Spock is the best Captain!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kirk was the hotshot captain that broke the rules, but got shit done. Picard was the hardass who knew how to run a ship, and adhere to a no-nonsense policy. It's hard to compare them.

They're both infinitely better than that bitch Janeway, though.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i always liked kirk's supporting characters a bit more. the chemistry between the core three of the o.g. star trek was what ultimately made me like kirk more. there's no denying that picard kicks ass, though--some of his big moments from first contact still crack me up.

kirk wins this contest because he reprogrammed the simulation

Cheebs

Kirk knew how to work with his crew better. Picard had a very off-hands more cold boss relationship with a lot of his crew, even with the ones he was closest too (Crusher and Data) while Kirk treated his crew like they were his brothers and sisters. I think that far better trust and rapport Kirk had elevates him beyond Picard.

Even with the lower non-bridge ones. Picard always seemed uncomfortable "pressing the flesh" if you will with his lower crewmen. Kirk joked and flirted with every member of the ship like they were his equal.

Kirk was a man of the people, Picard really wasn't.

Would Picard have stolen a federation ship and destroy it on the off chance of reviving one of his dead crew members out loyalty? I highly doubt it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
White Man said:
Kirk, if only for having the more entertaining show.
beelzebozo said:
i always liked kirk's supporting characters a bit more. the chemistry between the core three of the o.g. star trek was what ultimately made me like kirk more.
I never "got" that silly NG/etc.. stuff... the original Star Trek was entertaining and had good character interaction, even if it was insane fluff a good portion of the time. The only only ST thing I ever found interesting was the Voyager show, if only because (once again) there appears to have been an attempt to flesh out character interactions and humor.

Oh, that silly "Holodeck" idea was a detriment to everything. Bah.

Cheebs

DavidDayton said:
I never "got" that silly NG/etc.. stuff... the original Star Trek was entertaining and had good character interaction, even if it was insane fluff a good portion of the time. The only only ST thing I ever found interesting was the Voyager show, if only because (once again) there appears to have been an attempt to flesh out character interactions and humor.

Oh, that silly "Holodeck" idea was a detriment to everything. Bah.
While I adore TNG, DS9...etc that is something about TOS and the TOS movies (and assumingly the new TOS movie) that was lacking outside the original crews movies and shows. Kirk never took life all that seriously nor his crew. They were always joking and having fun.

They seemed to throughly ENJOY exploring space, the TNG guys treated it like it was their job.

Picard got his ass handed to him by Soran, while an aging Kirk easily kicked his ass.
That is all that needs to be said on this subject.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Also, Kirk fucked a LOT of awesomely hot alien chicks. The dude was a machine.

Picard, definitely. The better diplomat, amazing body, lots and lots of defeated enemies, even hand to hand, the last being his like 50 years younger genetically enhanced clone. Try to beat that.

He is a just captain, and definitely one who knows where to draw the necessary lines. He IS a captain, therefore his crew must treat him as one, rightfully so. And when he puts an hand on your back, it doesn't feel like the cheap cameratism Kirk used to show; you fell like you really earned it

But he also is a man capable of love, respect, consideration

Sisko comes close though. Totally badarse attitude, and defeated an enemy who practically owned an entire quadrant

Gerald

inside-comingatt-olmos.jpg

Branduil

Picard got to live an extra entire life on an alien planet squished into like 5 minutes. That's got to count for something.

Vai

I don't know who would be the best captain, but Kirk is much more awesome, and I prefer watching him in ToS than Picard in TNG.

Picard was cultured, tough as nails, decent tactician. I remember the episode where Picard goes into the Neutral Zone to investigate reports of a Romulan base. 3 Romulan warbirds trap the Enterprise but Picard isn't phased...he gives an order and 3 Klingon ships decloak. He brought backup!

Clever mutherf%(*@(!

MisterHero

DrForester said:
Double-fixed
MisterHero said:
Kirk = Dead
Picard = Alive still the explorer
Janeway = Orders Picard Arround stuck in one spot
Sisko = Deity who's stuck in one spot
Ultra-omega fix

Deus ex machina your way out of that
Thunder Monkey said:
Picard is Stewart, but Kirk is Shatner.

Dammit internet! Asking hard fucking questions!
:lol

ToxicAdam said:
How come in the future they haven't cured baldness or created decent looking toupees?

kirk.jpg
Patrick Stewart once asked Gene Roddenberry that question, he replied that they can cure baldness in the future its just that no one really cares about it in the future so they don't bother.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Ok my friend has chimed in and added these to the debate:

Kirk had multiple people all get their own ship. Picard had only one person, besides himself, ever run a ship on their own. Riker doesn't count because he opted to stay with Picard. Worf kinda got the Defiant but was never named as Captain of the Defiant.

Kirk saw Spock take over the ship once Kirk left. Sulu obviously got his own ship, as well. And Scotty was actually promoted to captain but was left in engineering, because he was so good there.

MisterHero

whytemyke said:

Kirk had multiple people all get their own ship. Picard had only one person, besides himself, ever run a ship on their own. Riker doesn't count because he opted to stay with Picard. Worf kinda got the Defiant but was never named as Captain of the Defiant.

Kirk saw Spock take over the ship once Kirk left. Sulu obviously got his own ship, as well. And Scotty was actually promoted to captain but was left in engineering, because he was so good there.
Riker could have been a Q but didn't.

Picard commands that much respect.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
whytemyke said:

The Defiant was attached to DS9, hence no official Captain, Worf was the closest thing, Dax and Kira also commanded on a few occasions.

Cheebs

Here is the question.

If Riker died and a opportunity wouldn't to revive him was open but it involved stealing and destroying the enterprise and was highly against the law. Would he do it?

I say no. He wouldn't risk the ship to save one person. He didn't govern by Kirk's "The needs of the one outway the needs of the many" motto in Trek III and thus is a weaker captain. Kirk put his crew over all else, including the federation.

He had more loyalty to his bridge crew than he did to the Federation or to Starfleet. Picard did not.

Whenever Picard faced something against starfleet protocol he almost always tried to reason with starfleet first. Kirk acted first, starfleet protocol was nothing.

MisterHero

Cheebs said:
Here is the question.

If Riker died and a opportunity wouldn't to revive him was open but it involved stealing and destroying the enterprise and was highly against the law. Would he do it?

I say no. He wouldn't risk the ship to save one person. He didn't govern by Kirk's "The needs of the one outway the needs of the many" motto in Trek III and thus is a weaker captain.
He did it for Data in First Contact and the Enterprise-E almost self-destructed.

I don't know if he'd do the same for Riker, though. :lol

Cheebs

MisterHero said:
He did it for Data in First Contact and the Enterprise-E almost self-destructed.

When data "died" on TNG when he was really kidnapped Picard was like "fuck it, lets move on nothing we can do" kirk wouldn't do that. ;) Kirk would attempt to go back in time or something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MisterHero said:

He was planning to destroy this ship anyways and was going to risk ONLY himself to save data, he didn't risk the ship or the crew to do it.

MisterHero

DrForester said:
He was planning to destroy this ship anyways and was going to risk ONLY himself to save data, he didn't risk the ship or the crew to do it.
Getting everyone stuck in the past (including a Klingon and Geordi with his eye implants) is pretty damning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom